Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch Lite ... and one game. Which game??!

• 11-09-2019 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭

I need another console like I need a "kick in the teef", but again the lure of Nintendo beckons.

The Switch Lite interests me as have numerous TV-connected consoles, but the last portable console I owned was a DS Lite, so it's mainly the dedicated-portability that's the pull factor here.

Downside I can see is no native Bluetooth headphone capability though there is a workaround I see on YouTube.

Anyway my question is... if I were to get ONE game to last me for the first few months, what would it be?

Toying between either "Zelda: Breath of the Wild" or "Mario Maker 2" (I have Mario Maker 1 on Wii U).

Maybe Mario Kart. It would be sporadically-played at lunchtime or occasional evenings, hence the reason one game will last months.

I'm not interested in online or multiplayer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Zelda BOTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Zelda.

Has to be Zelda. 'Kart is great. Maker is great. Odyssey is great. There are a lot of great Switch games. But Zelda is something else. It's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, going all the way back to that space invaders table-top clone in an 80s pub that had a shield button.
    Edit : Breath of the Wild, that is! Though I'm sure Awakening is going to be great too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I really liked BOTW all the same. I think it's more suited to longer sessions than just something to pick up for 30 mins but it's an essential game to own.

Don't bother with Mario Maker 2 unless you're interested in online. Having just played Mario World on SNES (Nintendo online on the switch) I can say the included levels on Mario Maker 2 really aren't that special compared to the levels in this classic. It's not a feature game that's for sure.

Switch online is worth the €20 for the SNES games. Zelda A link to the past is on it and believe it or not I didn't play it before and I love it. It's too bad it has the rewind feature.. Can't help myself from cheating.

I still haven't played New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe.. I'm sort of afraid I'll hate it.

Mario Odyssey is quite good and the structure of levels might suit you better as something you can pick up and play for an hour or so. I wasn't a fan of the bosses in this game but apart from that the game has a lot going for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Grand, Zelda it is. I can't believe the price is pretty much same as it was on release... but I guess that's Nintendo :P

Now to decide on the colours....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,371 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Get a regular switch and just play it hand held if that's what you want it for imo. it's better to have the option to play it docked than not as some games don't play very well on handheld in my (limited) experience.

For example if you were planning on getting Astral Chain, it's the first game that has made me play it docked as it was crap in handheld mode. Text/mini map etc too small, way too much going on for the small screen and Lit's is even smaller.

I had originally planned to get the Lite for the same reasons as yourself but having the option of playing docked is a godsend.

• Advertisement

Nah I've way too much backlogged on my for-TV consoles that I'd feel guilty connecting yet another to the TV.

By isolating the use-cases I can enjoy the consoles I have and get through the backlogs.

So this console will be for situations I am not at home or near TV (i.e. at lunchtime, or a quick game in bed, or weekends in da Wescht etc) ... the build quality is also better for portability than the Switch which (according to reviews I saw) feels a little less secure since the controllers can pop off. When I'm at home, I go back to the PS4, or Oculus Quest etc.

Plus the D-pad is the clincher.

I've now decided I'll get 3 games for this and won't probably need any others...

Zelda BotW
    Mario Odyssey
    Mario Kart

that's lunchtime sorted ;)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Get a regular switch and just play it hand held if that's what you want it for imo.

This is the advice I'd give too. When I'm at home it's great just popping the switch into the dock and using the pro controller to play.
    The original switch is fairly portable too once you take the joycons off. Pop them in your pocket and you're just left with something the size of a small tablet to take care of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,834 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

BOTW is the best Switch game but I'm not sure how suited it is to handheld gaming, even more so with Mario Odyssey which basically begs you to play it in docked mode with the two joycons held separately.

Forgot to mention I've maxed out all my HDMI slots into the TV... even WITH a splitter ;)

I think I have about 10 devices connected up... no room for a dock on the shelf tbh :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,371 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Me too, but I just swap out the hdmi lead for whichever console I'm using. Takes about two seconds.

If you get a comfort grip then the full switch feels as solid as any purpose built handheld.

• Advertisement

BOTW is the best Switch game but I'm not sure how suited it is to handheld gaming, even more so with Mario Odyssey which basically begs you to play it in docked mode with the two joycons held separately.

Don't get me started.. despite all the buttons on the controller they assigned the same functions to different buttons, then force you to make a silly throw motion on the controller for the hat to go around in a circle or veer to the side after you throw it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Me too, but I just swap out the hdmi lead for whichever console I'm using. Takes about two seconds.

not so easy in my case unfortunately .. design aesthetic takes over convenience of switching out cables.

Anyway decision made, this console ain't for TV (in my case) :)

Not to mention the Lite is cheaper and more portable

Alrighty ordered a Turquoise! (was seriously considering the yellow, but, well it might attract a few stares at work) ;)

Zelda: BotW, Mario Kart 8, Mario Odyssey, plus a case with glass protector.

Small pre-birthday pressie to myself. Happy days!

I'm really considering changing for a yellow... dunno, I just think it might blend better with the mario / zelda game colours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The same youtuber has a comparison between the Lite, OG & a Vita:

I've a grey one pre-ordered. I think the blue a yellow are too loud for me :o

I've a grey one pre-ordered. I think the blue a yellow are too loud for me :o

Hey it's Nintendo. It's supposed to be LOUD and quirky! :pac:

The yellow reminds me of my Pacman LED game from the 80s (yeah I still have it somewhere)

4a8428a8e0b4cba47be99f1c7dee681d.jpg

Holy crap this thing is gorgeous!

The screen is unbelievable ... the main downside I see is that very small characters on screen are a little eye-straining to focus on, such as Ori and the Blind Forest.

I decided on yellow in the end, and it's really complementary to everything I've tried so far.

Might pick up Hollow Knight for €8.99, and ...er... Out Run :)

The inevitable backlog on yet another system begins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

mrcheez wrote: »

The inevitable backlog on yet another system begins...

See https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/about

I'm getting through my backlog bit by bit :)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057821659/10/#post111004508

Advertisement