Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España 2019 Stage 17 - Aranda de Duero › Guadalajara (220 km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I think they are trying to ensure their 4th and 5th places on the overall are secure, would be another fantastic achievement after they got three in the top 10 on the TDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

EC1000 wrote: »
    Apparently they are trying to drop the domestiques on the uphill that are doing all the chasing.

Edit@ Seems to be working - split to pieces now!

INTERESTING TACTIC

36km to go, the pace is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Movistar tactics make no sense as other riders dropping back to chase

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dont think theres any love lost between quintana and management especially with him leaving
    Inquitus wrote: »
    Chasing Quintana lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sam hanging in there, qudos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

With 4 big climbs tomorrow, all the GC lads will be wrecked after this 😊. Another good day tomorrow so to look forward to...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I also think that when Jacobsen got dropped in the front group, it was kind of being left to all the moviestar guys to make the pace. So that move behind also sent out the massage that we'll bring ye back unless ye start to work. And I now notice that they are. I don't think what they did is making any difference to roglic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Around 50 km/h average so far... crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Movistar tactics make no sense as other riders dropping back to chase

Well, they've dropped Roglics domestiques! Now Astana are on the rack which might be exploited later. Meanwhile Movistars lads can sit in and chill until they try to escape in the last kms. The last 10kms should be great for action too.

• Advertisement

Well, they've dropped Roglics domestiques! Now Astana are on the rack which might be exploited later. Meanwhile Movistars lads can sit in and chill until they try to escape in the last kms. The last 10kms should be great for action too.

That is not a tactic as they took almost a minute out of Quintana, tired their guys out up front and in peloton (no sitting and chilling anywhere) and there were enough Astana and others to drop back

That was a valverde move and dreadful tactics if they want Quintana on the podium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

4th hour 54.5 km/h average :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

4th hour 54.5 km/h average :eek:

Strong cross tailwind apparently.

jesus that equity release ad is desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Why is the BORA lad helping Astana in the chasing group?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

MPFGLB wrote: »
    That is not a tactic as they took almost a minute out of Quintana, tired their guys out up front and in peloton (no sitting and chilling anywhere) and there were enough Astana and others to drop back

That was a valverde move and dreadful tactics if they want Quintana on the podium

Short term pain for long term gain. It's 5 Astana lads against 20+ escapees for Quintana. Now Roglic is under pressure to ride and Valverde + domestique or two will try to escape and take more time.

Quintana on Sam's wheel :D

Short term pain for long term gain. It's 5 Astana lads against 20+ escapees for Quintana. Now Roglic is under pressure to ride and Valverde + domestique or two will try to escape and take more time.

Sorry ..dont agree with any of that ..Roglic has been under no pressure and neither has Pogacar ..Astan have seen to that

The 5 Astana lads are fresher than the 20 up front who are riding all day

Anyway you look at it dreadful Movistar treatment of Quintana
    And all for Valverde's podium

cmon sam

sam ****ed hismelf there, went too early

• Advertisement

heartbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I dunno was it Sam getting it wrong or QuickStep getting it right. This stage was made for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

They held all the cards. Strength in numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Panicked. Stybar was going to be caught, the danger was from behind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

neris wrote: »
    sam ****ed hismelf there, went too early
    I don't think he had much of an option - too many lads there who'd go for a long one while he'd be waiting for the last 200m.

TBH - I like seeing Bennett trying out different finishing tactics. He might become more of a Boonen than a Cavendish.

Quintana up to 2nd place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

F#ck!!!! He went past me with about 500/600 to go and I could see the moment when he realised he didnt have the legs to see it through to the line. It is a stage that got away from him but 24 points towards green so still in with a chance.

Time to pray for a big breakaway tomorrow and no points for Roglic, Pogacar,Quintana.

Real shame Sam didnt have a team mate in the run in. Cost him 2 stages so far

I think Carlton Kirby was right (for once) when he said than Sam will be initially disappointed, but looking back on today's performance he did really well. The other fast men in the break were dropped but Sam hung on in there with the likes of Gilbert and Stybar.

I don't think he had much of an option - too many lads there who'd go for a long one while he'd be waiting for the last 200m.

TBH - I like seeing Bennett trying out different finishing tactics. He might become more of a Boonen than a Cavendish.

I was just thinking the fact he was there in that break today, it was more something I'd have expected of Sagan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Pity. Sam rode very well but QuickStep probaby deserve the stage after instigating all the drama and chaos

Advertisement