Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España 2019 Stage 17 - Aranda de Duero › Guadalajara (220 km)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Sam into green for tomorrow, on behalf of roglic?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yep I think you are right!

Nelson Oliveira (Movistar) getting asked all the awkward questions on Eurosport :pac:

Puts him on 120 points and top of the classification I think. Roglic has 117.

Phil says he was in 54/11 at 110rpm at some points.

• Advertisement

Puts him on 120 points and top of the classification I think. Roglic has 117.

Sam was on 70 points at the start of today.

He got 4 points for the intermediate sprint and 20 points for 2nd place.

So he's on 94 points?

So he's on 94 points?

we'll use your correct maths :o

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

So he's on 94 points?

Sprinters

1 P. ROGLIC 131 117 pts
    2 S. BENNETT 43 94 pts
    3 T. POGACAR 177 92 pts
    4 N. QUINTANA 7 84 pts
    5 A. VALVERDE 1 82 pts
    6 P. GILBERT 61 59 pts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Sam Bennett sounded very disappointed ...Said he couldn't go after all of them (DQS)

God Sam looked absolutely drained there in the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

You could see him in the aerial shot after the finish, stumbling off his bike to lie on the ground recovering :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Sure he has a nice easy day to recover tomorrow:eek:
    stage-18-profile.jpg?02

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

hes not an out & out sprinter like Cav or Kittel, he has a good engine for hanging on in there on lumpy stuff and been able to give it a go at the finish while the pure sprinters are still 30 minutes back eating their stem
    I was just thinking the fact he was there in that break today, it was more something I'd have expected of Sagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That second place was a savage result for him, stayed with the pace all day then had enough legs for 200/300m where he had no choice but to go.
    I think it's an improved performance showing his growing abilities this season to adapt to different race situations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

cunavalos wrote: »
    Sure he has a nice easy day to recover tomorrow:eek:
    stage-18-profile.jpg?02

I think he and some of the other guys are going to plateau at the 40 km and 150 km mark to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Weepsie wrote: »
    I think he and some of the other guys are going to plateau at the 40 km and 150 km mark to be honest

I am just hoping he doesn't get lapped between the first and second ascents of the Morcuera

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

That final ramp was a lot tougher than it looked on paper... Sam should take a bash at amstel gold next year 😂

Tour of Flanders aswell & maybe Pari Roubaix
    happytramp wrote: »
    That final ramp was a lot tougher than it looked on paper... Sam should take a bash at amstel gold next year ��

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

neris wrote: »
    Tour of Flanders aswell & maybe Pari Roubaix

I don't think he has a chance in either of those against the likes of Sagan/van der Poel. But San Remo for sure - the fact that he could hang in on a long tough day and contest the sprint at the end augurs well for a crack at San Remo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Makes sense, domestiques are wrecked - kill them on the hill and then the domestiques are stuck behind trying to catch Roglic who might have to work himself. Ha , Seán just said it.

Or they give up, let roglic fend for himself, ride easy and save their legs for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Speaking of sitting up and saving the legs: Thomas DeGhent was in the break, got shelled out the back at some point, passed by nearly all of the rest of the field and finished 33 minutes down!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Makes sense, domestiques are wrecked - kill them on the hill and then the domestiques are stuck behind trying to catch Roglic who might have to work himself. Ha , Seán just said it.

Or they give up, let roglic fend for himself, ride easy and save their legs for tomorrow

True, but if Astana weren't so stupid the pressure would definitely fall on Roglic. Along with Podacar he had much more to lose than Lopez.
    There was about 50km left at that point and both leaders isolated. Astana should've made them work. Lopez was going to be behind the other 4 whatever happened. Movistar couldn't control that but it was probably the toss of a coin what Astana chose to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

I think Movistars tactics were wrong.

They should have let the gap to the break keep growing, would have meant Quintana was virtual red, Kelderman and Knox would be way up GC so QS and Sunweb would keep riding, and Jumbo and Astana would have to ride all day.

All their riders would be wrecked for today.

They were never going to drop Roglic from the elite group.

So they dropped a few domestiques, big deal - they had an easy run into the finish so, with a big tailwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

All they took out of Quintana was a minute (which Astana lost towards the end anyway). Quintana is 2.2? behind Roglic so that minute didn't make any difference. And you may be sure Quintana will lose time again today, time and again he's not been among the best.
    Imagine Jumbo, UAE and Astana timetrialling and swapping home together - they'd surely have taken more back anyway.
    Also Movistar tried and succeeded in dropping the Astana crew on that hill - unlike Jumbo and UAE they were strong enough to come back but that wasn't a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

First rule of cycling - your rider is up the road, going into race leadership possibly, you dont feckin help the lad in yellow / red to cut the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

But...what if Quintana is on it today...

Movistar have the chance to really blow the race apart today given what happened yesterday.

Advertisement