Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking for Holles street hospital

Options
  • 11-09-2019 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

I thought I would share my findings in relation to parking near Holles street hospital in case it helps others.

Most parking in the area is pay on a Saturday, but some streets are free. In particular Harmony Row where it meets Grand Canal Street Lower. It is only a 1 minute walk to the entrance and is free all Saturday and Sunday.

In addition most of the area around Holles street is pay zone yellow, while this street is the slightly cheaper red zone. At this end of the street Monday to Friday its pay 8am to 18:30 while further up the same street and nearby it is pay 7am until 7pm. Along with paying by cash (if in red zone use a parking Meter in red zone, not yellow or you will be pay more) you can pay by text. This is very handy if your appointment runs late and saves you having to go back to the car. I typically have cash coins change for the first 3 hours, then top up by text.

It is a bit of a hassle to set up first, but very handy when you get the hang of it. Details here https://www.parkingtag.ie/

Beware clamping is very strictly enforced, so set reminders on your phone to top up every 3 hours.

There are multi storey car parks but they are a good 10-15 minutes walk away and they are relatively expensive charging e.g. 40 Euro per 24 hour period while street parking works out less than 30 euro in the red zone I suggest.

If you are going for a long period, and live nearby I suggest DART (pearse street) or busses.

One amazing tip I found is there is actually free parking nearby, but it is usually impossible to get a space, unless you keep watching out like a hawk for a spot. On Grand Canal street lower next to the square ball pub there is a row of about 20 parking spaces with no pay parking signs and its free if you can get a spot there. Best time to get a spot is late evening or early morning. The main downside is that locals know these spots, and will squeeze right in and may park very tight making it hard to get out, or even bang off your car. The other side of the same road is pay parking so park on square ball pub side of the road. If you end up there late at night, park there and you can stay for days, getting a dart home or staying in a nearby b+b so you can be close to holles street. In the end I paid about 40 euro over 3 days but it was cheaper than 120 for the multi-storey that is further away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

This might be good over on the pregnancy forum.
    Hope you had a good experience in the hospital and all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

This is very helpful, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

In theory, you cannot stay on any particular street for longer than the maximum parking period, ie in theory you should move the car every 3 hours not just reset the parking tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Agree with you OP .

My tip would be to either take public transport or use a Dublin bike (there’s a bike stand across the street)

If you have to drive use the parking app . Clampers are relentless Mon - Fri and remembering to feed the meter / get change is such a hassle !! ... especially if your good lady is in labour!

Parking is extortionate but it’s only a drop in the ocean if your having a baby 😎

I left my car in the same spot for nearly 2 days .. just kept extending my parking on the app.

Really easy

Advertisement