Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-contributory state pension query

• 11-09-2019 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm trying to help a family friend with a pension question and I'm struggling to figure this out. Hopefully yea can help.

Lets say you have a couple (aged 65 and 66). The 65-year-old is still working with an income of about €36,000. The other person has just turned 66 and does not have enough stamps for a contributory pension. They have about 20k savings.

My question is in relation to the means test. I understand the spouse's income is split 50/50 so in this case, €18k each or €346.15 a week (1. assuming before tax figures are used). Each person is then allowed earn €200 income, meaning their income is €146.15 a week each. This is below the statutory limit of €257.50, so they should be entilted to a reduced rate non-contributory pension - is this correct or have I gone wrong somewhere?

1/ When assessing income - do you use before or after tax figures?

2 Do both people get to write off income of €200 a week even if it only comes from one source?

Appreciate all help.

Advertisement