Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading Windows

Options
  • 11-09-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

How do I go about reloading and updating Windows on to my laptop. I am hoping to completely wipe the computer clean and then reload the latest version of Windows. I am currently using Windows 7.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Mach Two wrote: »
    How do I go about reloading and updating Windows on to my laptop. I am hoping to completely wipe the computer clean and then reload the latest version of Windows. I am currently using Windows 7.
    Providing you have genuine Win7 by OEM (factory installed)

Hardware needed:
    1. External storage to copy all your current data , unless you already have backup.
    2. >8GB USB flashdrive to make bootable media(Win10).

Software needed:
    1. MS media creation tool.
    2. Produkey (this kinda optional, but better to have record of you Win7 activation key on hand).

Process:
    1. On current Win7 run Produkey to read all MS keys. Write all keys, most important OEM.
    2. On current Win7 (or any other PC) install and run media creation tool. Follow instruction "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC ......"
    3. Restart you laptop and boot into USB.
    4. Once loaded (before "Install Now" button!!!) hit Shift+F10
    5. In CMD window(black window that popped) type and hit Enter after each command:
    • diskpart
    • select disk 0 (!! still not to late to cancel and go back to your Win7 !!)
    • clean (after this there is no return to your Win7 or data, refer to "Hardware needed: 1.")
    • exit
    • exit(yes, twice:D)
    6. Continue with installation.

The End ?
    ...almost the end.

Windows should activate automatically, however if its not, you can use OEM key you have (refer to "Software needed: 2.").
    Lately it was confirmed still working
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057954924
    https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/

The End.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Ye must think I am some sort of computer wizard. It is factory installed Windows 7. At least it was on it when I bought it. I don't have to keep any of the data that is currently on it. There is some product key code on the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

whats make and model and we can be more specific about your recommended procedure.

on a lot of laptops there is a factory restore partition on the hard drive that will allow you to erase and go back to factory settings.

if you don't have that then you may have received a cd/dvd for windows reinstallation when you got the laptop.

and failing that you can use the advice above to create your own re-installation media.

you need a plan before you wipe ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Mach Two wrote: »
    Ye must think I am some sort of computer wizard. It is factory installed Windows 7. At least it was on it when I bought it. I don't have to keep any of the data that is currently on it. There is some product key code on the back of it.
    Well...
    If instruction provided is not suitable for you:
    1. Bring it to computer repair store and ask them to do what you want to get done.Or...
    2. Set up 13 candles around your laptop and, tomorrow, Fri. 13 Sep 2019, @ midnight, whisper magic spell, the one "computer wizards" use, to magically convert Win7 to Win10 and see if it helps.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You'll have to download and reinstall all the device drivers such as audio, graphics, touchpad, function key and webcam drivers once Windows is installed.
    They should be available from the manufacturers website.
    However, if your laptop is old there's might not be Windows 10 drivers available. You'll have to do a bit more fiddling with drivers and Device Manager to get everything to work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Hewlitt Packard G62. The G62 is written just at the bottom of the screen. I presume that is the model number.

Advertisement