Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Arcade - what do folk think?

Options
  • 11-09-2019 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭

What are folks views on this? Over 100 games with more coming on stream all the time. No in-game purchases so you get the full game from the outset. Looks like the price point will be €4.99 per month which (with family sharing) will allow for up to 6 people to play.

Obviously a lot depends on the standard of the games but this actually sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

https://www.apple.com/ie/apple-arcade/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Seeing as a lot of games are that price on the App Store these days it's definitely worth it initially. How long I'd stay subscribed depends on the quality of games, but there's enough there to keep me subscribed for a couple of months at least. I'd imagine a lot of devs are holding off to see how popular it gets before deciding whether to put their games as Arcade exclusives. If it does well the quality of games will only improve.

If you're somebody who spends more than €60/year on iOS games it's also worthwhile. I very rarely buy games anymore, so I can't see myself sticking with it long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

What are folks views on this? Over 100 games with more coming on stream all the time. No in-game purchases so you get the full game from the outset. Looks like the price point will be €4.99 per month which (with family sharing) will allow for up to 6 people to play.

Obviously a lot depends on the standard of the games but this actually sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

https://www.apple.com/ie/apple-arcade/
    Depends on the quality of the games rather than the number of games. Much like Apple TV+ we’ll need to see what it really had to offer.

It’s really becoming a crowded space for these monthly fee services. Spotify, YouTube Premium, Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Sky (and Sports/Movies), and for gamers you may already have Origin//GamePass, etc...... and that’s after you pay your monthly broadband provider or bill phone (or top up).

Apple is coming late to the party, but it’ll probably draw a lot of people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Well if you have kids it might be handy if only to get rid of those free apps with those poxy ads that you have to watch.

I would defo be trialling it but I got them kindles.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

DubDJ wrote: »
    If you're somebody who spends more than €60/year on iOS games it's also worthwhile. I very rarely buy games anymore, so I can't see myself sticking with it long term.
    Yup, this is pretty much a no-brainer for me based on this. We'll see how long it lasts for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just signed up for it. There’s a months free trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I'm not a mobile gamer but I will give the trial a go...nothing I have seen so far looks all that exciting though. If you have kids it seems like a great idea with no in app purchases etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I think it's a great idea. If game developers are given incentive to create (almost) console quality games for iOS it can only be a good thing, especially now that we can use PS4/Xbox controllers on iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

What the Golf? is probably the best game I've played this year regardless of platform. Worth the free trial on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Anyone know what time today iOS 13 and ultimately Apple Arcade will be rolled out at?

I’m not on the beta so have no access to the early release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Anyone know what time today iOS 13 and ultimately Apple Arcade will be rolled out at?

I’m not on the beta so have no access to the early release.

6pm irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I think taking the month’s trial now is a bit of a waste? Is it better to wait until iPads and the Apple TV has received updates to OS13 so that full continuity can be used?

I’m using the trial at the moment on my iPad. It’s a good idea and a decent price but I’ve none of the games I’ve tried are very good and they’re basically still just mobile games with clunky controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I’m using the trial at the moment on my iPad. It’s a good idea and a decent price but I’ve none of the games I’ve tried are very good and they’re basically still just mobile games with clunky controls.

Are you on iOS 13/13.1 beta? I might be wrong but I was under the impression that since iOS 13 hasn’t been officially released to the iPad yet, Apple Arcade isn’t supported (same with Apple TV).

Bob24 wrote: »
    Are you on iOS 13/13.1 beta? I might be wrong but I was under the impression that since iOS 13 hasn’t been officially released to the iPad yet, Apple Arcade isn’t supported (same with Apple TV).

Yep I’ve the Beta (iPad OS 13.1 Beta 4 I think) and, although it says on Arcade that iPad is coming soon, it let me sign up and play away.

Are there any release dates as to when new games will be coming on board?

Speed Demons is a cracking little game.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I signed up last week and now I regret only getting a 64gb version of the 11 Pro.

I'm slowly working my way through the games and deleting anything I don't like. It's a mixed bag of styles so I'd say there really is something for everyone in it.

A special mention to the game whose intro was so long I rage quit and deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Draco wrote: »

A special mention to the game whose intro was so long I rage quit and deleted it.

Won’t ask you which one it was :-D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just signed up to it the other night. What the Golf?, Painty Mob and Bleak Sword are very good. The controls in Bleak Sword in particular work brilliantly, very clever how they're implemented I thought. Fun game too of course.

I did quite like What the Golf but Painty Mob crashes during the tutorial stage every time for me and Bleak Sword is portrait only so no good for iPad. It does look interesting for the controls though, if they ever do landscape I’ll give it another go.

• Advertisement

The Pinball Wizard is a cracking little game.

Any other gems out there?

Grindstone is also a great little game, a slightly more complex type of Candy Crush.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So it's been like 6 months now since Arcade came out and while flop is probably too strong a term it certainly doesn't seem like it's been a big success yet?

I signed up for the free month there, there are a few games that are ok but I've found nothing yet that'll get me paying the sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

awec wrote: »
    So it's been like 6 months now since Arcade came out and while flop is probably too strong a term it certainly doesn't seem like it's been a big success yet?

I signed up for the free month there, there are a few games that are ok but I've found nothing yet that'll get me paying the sub.

Im not a gamer but I think that  need to come up with a bundle which would entice many more to sign up to these services. I have Apple Music but would be interested in Apple TV+ also if it was included in a bundle and might even look at the games then:)

Advertisement