Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no income tax cuts from irelands "right wing" party

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    FG: no real ideas, but generally stable with no popularity contests when it comes to budgets.
    FF: no real ideas, will promise the sun, moon, and stars to workers, and the unemployed to get elected; with no way of funding it. Of course they only want to get elected after Brexit so they can blame FG if it all goes pear shaped.
    SF: Higher taxes, more to social welfare, and generally clueless.
    Greens: ideas are to tax everything, at the cost of economic output.

Stable? Everything from housing to hospitals has broken records on how worse they have become under them. Also Irish Water and sweet deal for Dinny was an idea. As was making Ireland attractive to vulture funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

14dMoney wrote: »
    It doesn't matter. Bottom line is that the welfare of our citizens must come first.

yeah and not stealing every cent off those who pay all the taxes would be a great way to improve their welfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I think this will be FGs last budget. It's all gone a bit stale domestically. Once Brexit is calmed down and the election happens next year Fianna Fail will be running things again.

This is a 2 party state.

I think this will be FGs last budget. It's all gone a bit stale domestically. Once Brexit is calmed down and the election happens next year Fianna Fail will be running things again.

This is a 2 party state.

where both options just f*ck over the employed to pay for quangos and welfare and immigrants.

lol

The money is going to overspends on childrens hospitals and broadband and health overruns and going straight into consultants pockets.

Very naive.

and TUSLA staff, it seems https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/tusla-staff-were-overpaid-over-1m-last-year-report-949738.html
    Why will nobody cut taxes here, we don’t have a single party that has any interest in helping working people, its just bend over get shafted

this country needs a Thatcher like politician who isn't looking for popularity, just to push through reform. The current system means that will never happen though.

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    and TUSLA staff, it seems https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/tusla-staff-were-overpaid-over-1m-last-year-report-949738.html

this country needs a Thatcher like politician who isn't looking for popularity, just to push through reform. The current system means that will never happen though.

we basically need a peter casey type with political knowledge here.
    somebody to make the decisions that would make all the rabble rousers get out of their hash induced slumber and protest but have the water cannons turned on them and told that we're cutting their dole anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They’ve been exaggerating the effects of a no deal Brexit for ages in order to produce a budget which gives nobody anything. I think they are the only Public Servants who got a pay increase in the last 12 years without jndustraction. Granted by themselves of course.

Nonsense. Not only have government ministers not accepted any pay increase the restoration, which was giving back a previous pay cut, applied to every civil servant in the country.

You'd have to pity a government what with the general intelligence of the electorate.

A prudent budget with no tax giveaways/SW increases when we're overly reliant on unproven CT and its... WHAT, why can't the government spend more?

An expansionary budget and you'll get nearly as many people complaining about a ticking time bomb.

To save this thread from a rant, can the couch politicians explain where the extra spend is going to come from... add on to historically high debt levels or reduce services?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Didn't the TDs themselves just get a pay increase 2-3 weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Calhoun wrote: »

Every civil servant in the country got pay restoration. Ministers didn't take it. Some TDs did.

• Advertisement

lola85 wrote: »
    FF budgets were fun though weren’t they:)

Everyone got loads of goodies!!

Where could it go wrong... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rocksolidfat

I spoke to a PS worker who says he has not received a pay rise in 12 years.
    Is he spoofing me?
    Well given that I worked in the public sector for a while not too long ago, and nearly every job I was aware of in there was on a scale that was designed to automatically increase year-on-year, even within the same grade, I would imagine he might well be. Unless he has been there long enough to have hit the top of the scale 12+ years ago.

Either that or he has been working through an employment agency for 12 straight years, which would be pretty fecking miserable alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Calhoun wrote: »

This is the **** that people believe from reading on Facebook.

Pure nonsense but brainless people lap it up as gospel.

The Gospel according to Youokayhun. I think he was Chinese.

and whats funny is the perpetual comment crew of dole dependent idiots who post up 'close de dail bar' 'cut der wages' hurr durr.... despite the fact that the entire government costs less than 1 billion to run. less than 1/20th the cost of welfare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Aegir wrote: »

Forgot the welfare of the public was her job.
    we basically need a peter casey type with political knowledge here.
    somebody to make the decisions that would make all the rabble rousers get out of their hash induced slumber and protest but have the water cannons turned on them and told that we're cutting their dole anyway.

All Peter Casey was was a rabble rouser.
    You'd have to pity a government what with the general intelligence of the electorate.

A prudent budget with no tax giveaways/SW increases when we're overly reliant on unproven CT and its... WHAT, why can't the government spend more?

An expansionary budget and you'll get nearly as many people complaining about a ticking time bomb.

To save this thread from a rant, can the couch politicians explain where the extra spend is going to come from... add on to historically high debt levels or reduce services?

They can find money any time they want.
    Simply put, stop spending on hotels and be accountable and responsible for tax payer spends on the like of the Children's hospital. In short, make housing affordable for working tax payers, keep an eye on government projects. I've had enough 'nobody told me' from ministers.
    Put the well being of the working tax payer above 'the economy' and mythical trickle down. A few make millions, we suffer a crash. The same shams make millions, we suffer a crash. Any loose credit or spending by the great unwashed gets blamed either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This thread is ridiculous. People on pensions worked for many years, in their old age they should be treated responsibly by the government. Likewise with welfare, if people do not need it they should not get it, but if they need it then the rate should be indexed.

Well given that I worked in the public sector for awhile not too long ago, and nearly every job I was aware of in there were on a scale that was designed to automatically increase year-on-year, I would imagine he might well be. Unless he has been there long enough to have hit the top of the scale 12+ years ago.

Either that or he has been working through an employment agency for 12 straight years, which would be pretty fecking miserable alright.

Plenty in the PS who continue to have a pay cut from 12 years ago. They might have had some increases, but not enough to restore the cuts.

Not many in the private sector earning less than 2007, even if they are in similar jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lan

and whats funny is the perpetual comment crew of dole dependent idiots who post up 'close de dail bar' 'cut der wages' hurr durr.... despite the fact that the entire government costs less than 1 billion to run. less than 1/20th the cost of welfare

Have you looked at the welfare budget though?

It's 20 billion, but almost half of that is pensions, the majority of which is the contributory pension (so, to people who paid taxes before retiring). Job seekers 'only' makes up about 2 billion.

The country's total budget is 76 billion. The dole expendature is relatively small, especially considering the seemingly endless threads it generates here.

lan wrote: »
    Have you looked at the welfare budget though?

It's 20 billion, but almost half of that is pensions, the majority of which is the contributory pension (so, to people who paid taxes before retiring). Job seekers 'only' makes up about 2 billion.

The country's total budget is 76 billion. The dole expendature is relatively small, especially considering the seemingly endless threads it generates here.

8 billion of 21 is pensions

working age supports and supplements is 4.8 billion , 2.1 billion child benefit, 416 million in FIS, disability and carers allowance with their rampant fraud is another 2.4 billion , social housing is another 2.3 billion, 300 million in public service transport provision, 158 million in immigration supports,

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭champchamp

So I worked through the financial crisis of 2008 and subsequent years paying my taxes and new USC tax to help bail out the country.
    Now we're being told that the economy is booming, but I'm still being crucified by tax and USC.
    When am I going to get my break for helping out during the bad times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

The elephant in the room has been and remains "welfare".
    Welfare breakdown needs to be more streamlined. Disability payments, unemployment benefits etc... should be separated so you can see the real spending per area.

No political party would ever tackle it but we (the taxpayer) are being taken for chumps by the won't work class. Between, hotels for the homeless, subsidized houses, money to housing "charities. Feeding the poor etc... the cost is multiples of what we are lead to believe.

As we have food-banks, housing (or at least a roof over your head) provided by the government what is the welfare money being spent on?

Many are gaming or using the system to suit them. I know of people who have quite good jobs but live at home so they can stay on the housing list as they won't be able to afford a house in their desired area in Dublin so they will wait for the government to provide one instead of going where they can afford.
    Others who go at weekends to food banks to save money while in the evening going for drinks and a take-away with their mates.

If the tax payers are already providing shelter and food for the needy then the spending into the hand should be dropping. Unemployment benefit should be only for a number of months, after that it should be on a card and tracked to make sure the tax payer is getting value for it.

Give people a hand up not a hand out. There is no party that is pro the average worker in Ireland. It's the bottom and the top of the pyramid getting looked after.

We've made being a landlord a dirty word unless it's a large fund doing it. They get taxbreaks while a person renting out their dwelling is expected to pay full taxes meaning they need to receive pretty much double the mortgage payments from the renters just to break even each month.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/tds-wages-jump-to-over-96000-after-pay-hike-heres-what-the-political-parties-have-said-about-it-so-far-38456577.html

Must have some of these brainless people working in the Independent.

I would assume that because we cannot cut taxes we will be stopping all pay increases or "restoration" ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Moghead wrote: »
    If you're unhappy with the current government I don't know why you'd want FF back, they wouldn't have done anything differently over the last few years.

At least they'll throw money at services. They'd build.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

This thread is ridiculous. People on pensions worked for many years, in their old age they should be treated responsibly by the government. Likewise with welfare, if people do not need it they should not get it, but if they need it then the rate should be indexed.

Plenty in the PS who continue to have a pay cut from 12 years ago. They might have had some increases, but not enough to restore the cuts.

Not many in the private sector earning less than 2007, even if they are in similar jobs.

That's not how pensions should work.

Just because you're old and can't work shouldn't mean you automatically leech off the state. What were they doing for the previous 40+ years of their working life? Plenty of time to put money away for retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I wouldn't even mind paying more tax if I got something back. You don't even get a doctor's visit once in a year covered, nothing towards childcare, **** public transport.
    Instead most our taxes go into a completely unsustainable welfare system that won't even have a pension for me by the time I retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    FG: no real ideas, but generally stable with no popularity contests when it comes to budgets.
    FF: no real ideas, will promise the sun, moon, and stars to workers, and the unemployed to get elected; with no way of funding it. Of course they only want to get elected after Brexit so they can blame FG if it all goes pear shaped.
    SF: Higher taxes, more to social welfare, and generally clueless.
    Greens: ideas are to tax everything, at the cost of economic output.

YA it's absolutely depressing when you put it like that.

Atleast with FF we would have a good time before we go to the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Welfare breakdown needs to be more streamlined. Disability payments, unemployment benefits etc... should be separated so you can see the real spending per area.

Done!

Here ya go: over 80 pages of sexy statistics - orgasmic for nerds like us! Happy reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just because you're old and can't work shouldn't mean you automatically leech off the state. What were they doing for the previous 40+ years of their working life? Plenty of time to put money away for retirement.

If you work for 40 years and pay into your pension then you deserve it.
    Why would you pay if that wasn’t going to be the case?

Well i would disagree because we live in a social democratic society and we all put in expecting to be looked after.

We may have to look at how we sort our public sector pensions in the long run as i am not sure we have the income in the coffers to support a defined benefit model indefinitely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

rob316 wrote: »
    I wouldn't even mind paying more tax if I got something back. You don't even get a doctor's visit once in a year covered, nothing towards childcare, **** public transport.
    Instead most our taxes go into a completely unsustainable welfare system that won't even have a pension for me by the time I retire.

You get free dental and eyesight check ups plus free specs if you need them.

Annual taxsaver tickets can save you up to 52% of public transport costs.

The Zapper's new childcare schemes are launching on 1st October! Check out the new website here:- https://ncs.gov.ie/parent

Advertisement