Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda pension

• 11-09-2019 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hey im thinking of joining an garda siochana .

Anyone know what gratuity or lumpsum you get when you retire?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Jake5991 wrote: »

Typically, 1.5 times career average earnings.

But for a full answer, look up the Single PS pension scheme.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Seriously, there are a lot of other things you should be thinking about...

That reality is that by the time you become pension age the system will have completely changed because the current system is unsustainable. All indications are that Ireland will adapt the typical European three pillar style system, in which case there will be no advantage to a state pension over a pension from the private sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Seriously, there are a lot of other things you should be thinking about...

That reality is that by the time you become pension age the system will have completely changed because the current system is unsustainable. All indications are that Ireland will adapt the typical European three pillar style system, in which case there will be no advantage to a state pension over a pension from the private sector.
    If thats the case well then so be it but for now i want to know what you get when you retire.

Geuze wrote: »
    Typically, 1.5 times career average earnings.

But for a full answer, look up the Single PS pension scheme.

So if your average earnings is 50k would it be 1.5 x 50k for a gratuity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

Your pension will also be affected by the number of years service.

• Advertisement

Look lads all i want to know is are you presently entitled to a gratuity or not and roughly how much is at after 30 yrs service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Look lads all i want to know is are you presently entitled to a gratuity or not and roughly how much is at after 30 yrs service

Why dont you go ask someone who works in Garda Superannuation?

You definitely have the right attitude to be one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

You're not showing much initiative and investigating power.

http://www.gra.ie/documents/GRA-Pensions-Booklet-Jul17-red.pdf

Wheety wrote: »
    You're not showing much initiative and investigating power.

I checked it out allready and it says id be in post 2012 career average pensions and then gave me a load of mumbo jumbo that i didnt understand. I rang dept of justice they didnt know i rang pssc they didnt know. So i emailed hrm .

So as a matter of fact i have done my research. I dont know anyone who is a serving member if i did i wouldnt be on here .

gwalk wrote: »
    Why dont you go ask someone who works in Garda Superannuation?

You definitely have the right attitude to be one

Lol ðŸ‘🀣

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Go on the GRA website, the answers are there. The pension has been changed to career average and joining date has a bearing on benefits. To the best of my knowledge the level of great was changed. My son is a guard having joined 2 years ago oddly I have never heard him mention his pension or great entitlement.

Go on the GRA website, the answers are there. The pension has been changed to career average and joining date has a bearing on benefits. To the best of my knowledge the level of great was changed. My son is a guard having joined 2 years ago oddly I have never heard him mention his pension or great entitlement.

Ye its not very straightforward trying to find information. I think since 2012 they changed it and its now called public service single pension scheme. Anyway thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

The lumpsum is still 1.5 salary. But now it's based on career average instead of final salary.
    Members of An Garda Síochána who joined the organisation on or after 1 April 2004 may retire on full pension once they have served at least 30 years and have reached 55 years of age.

But you can keep working until 60 if you're still competent.

That's the current rules but it can change again.

Wheety wrote: »
    The lumpsum is still 1.5 salary. But now it's based on career average instead of final salary.

But you can keep working until 60 if you're still competent.

That's the current rules but it can change again.
    Ok and is there two pension schemes because im employed in the DF since 2011.

So would i be correct in saying id be on the old pension ?

Advertisement