Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aluminium frame with rim brakes, wide tyre clearance, and eyelets?

Options
  • 11-09-2019 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Have spent a lot of time looking but can't really find anything....

Does anyone know if I can get an aluminium (steel or titanium good too but probably out of budget) road bike /cyclocross /gravel bike that has rim brakes, clearance for wide tyres and eyelets for mudguards /rack??

I know the gravel / cyclocross will have wide tyres, but all have disc brakes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Have a look on the Dolan website and you might find a decently priced one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Humphries in Finglas have Pagannini frames which fit the above requirements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what is the maximum tyre clearance you can expect with rim brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

what is the maximum tyre clearance you can expect with rim brakes?

The new Shimano calipers will clear a 30mm tyre. Deep-drop & wide calipers might get you to ~ 32mm but your starting to get into the territory inhabited by those horrific wide calipers that used to be fitted to hybrids 15 years ago which had all the rigidity of damp cardboard.

If you want wider tyres and rim brakes, you're probably heading down the road of cantilevers or mini-Vs, neither of which are typically as good as a good rim (or disc) brake and usually require more attention.If you are running straight bars, you can get hydraulic rim brakes from Magura but they will require cantilever-type bosses on the frame. Plus they are pricey - from €90 to 120 for each end. But you will clear MTB sized tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Have spent a lot of time looking but can't really find anything....

Does anyone know if I can get an aluminium (steel or titanium good too but probably out of budget) road bike /cyclocross /gravel bike that has rim brakes, clearance for wide tyres and eyelets for mudguards /rack??

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-framesets/road-framesets-aluminium/dolan-preffisio-aluminium-road-frameset-6739.html

This frame will take up to 28mm tyres but you will need deep drop (57mm) brake calipers.

• Advertisement

The Forme Longcliffe has mudguard eyelets and will take 28mm tyres.

https://formebikes.co.uk/longcliffe-1.html

I think Hollingsworth stock them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The new Shimano calipers will clear a 30mm tyre. Deep-drop & wide calipers might get you to ~ 32mm but your starting to get into the territory inhabited by those horrific wide calipers that used to be fitted to hybrids 15 years ago which had all the rigidity of damp cardboard.

If you want wider tyres and rim brakes, you're probably heading down the road of cantilevers or mini-Vs, neither of which are typically as good as a good rim (or disc) brake and usually require more attention.If you are running straight bars, you can get hydraulic rim brakes from Magura but they will require cantilever-type bosses on the frame. Plus they are pricey - from €90 to 120 for each end. But you will clear MTB sized tyres.

And still they gazed, and still the wonder grew
    That one small head could carry all he knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

And the problem with that is... :confused:

Sounds like you have the solution to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

I'm building up a Kinesis Racelight T3 frameset at the moment. Haven't got as far as tyres yet but spec says it takes up to 28c. Was tempted by this from CRC, https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-rd-01-road-frame-and-carbon-fork-2019/rp-prod130456. There's also the Tifosi CK7. And the Dolan as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Are you looking at new only ? I am planning to move my Specialized Tricross on Size 56cm
    Loads of clearance and I currently have a pannier rack on the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Depends on what your actual budget is but tourers like Thorn and Surly should fit the bill with steel frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    And the problem with that is... :confused:

Sounds like you have the solution to me.

Problem is I'm looking for rim brakes as mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Problem is I'm looking for rim brakes as mentioned!

Thorn Audax Mkr 3 will fit 31mm with mudguards according to its spec.

How wide do you need to go?

I got a 30mm cx tyre onto a genesis equilibrium without any issue.

You'll pick up non disc cx bikes for small money second hand, if you need to fit 35mm or so and will put up with cantis.

Some older and cheap "racing" bikes from 70 & 80's have generous clearances also. They will often be fitted with eyelets to for mudguards/rack

Long before discs were heard off riders with a true sense of adventure did some pretty epic stuff with just rim breaks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rough-Stuff-Cycling-Alps-Wright/dp/0995488622

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Genesis Equilibrium will take 25mm with rack and guards as will Tifosi Ck7. Both will take 28mm if you drop the mudguards. You won't find a rim brake that will take much more than a 25mm if you want mudguards too. Believe me, i've looked!

You have 2 options:

1. Drop your requirement for wide tyres and go for 25/28mm
    2. Get canti or disc brakes

Genesis Equilibrium will take 25mm with rack and guards as will Tifosi Ck7. Both will take 28mm if you drop the mudguards. You won't find a rim brake that will take much more than a 25mm if you want mudguards too. Believe me, i've looked!

You have 2 options:

1. Drop your requirement for wide tyres and go for 25/28mm
    2. Get canti or disc brakes

The original Equilibrium (Reynolds 853) was built with limited clearances and could only take 25mm without guards. A 28mm required a change of fork.

The current 725 Equilibrium has much larger clearances. I've run 28mm Conti 4 Seasons with SKS Chromoplastics without problems. With the guards off, I've run a very fat Pirelli tubeless which is at least 30mm across

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, loads for me to research.

Bike will be used as an all weather hack and hopefully with a rack on the back for a kids bike seat (I know it's not strictly necessary to have a rack but I'd prefer one).

Have a 105 5700 groupset with little use and a nice set of handbuilt wheels which I'd like to use on the new frameset, hence want to avoid disc brake frames.

Ps, anyone ever heard of a UK outfit called temple cycles? They seem to have some nice frames

Ps, anyone ever heard of a UK outfit called temple cycles? They seem to have some nice frames

(I was only on their website last week - one of the Paris-Brest-Paris riders used one of their fixed-gear frames. No actual experience of their frames but the paint jobs look very refined)

Temple use Reynolds 520 tubing for their frames, which is quite basic. Something at the same price point like the Equilibrium is Reynolds 725, which is a far better material.

Temple use steel forks, rather than carbon. This isn't necessarily a bad thing -steel forks car ride very well and are more robust but it will be heavier. Ironically, a reasonable quality steel fork can now be dearer than a carbon one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was just on their site, and their 'adventure disc' bike has 725 tubing, and a similar spec to the equilibrium 20 disc; lesser brakes, but better wheels (and a brooks b17 saddle).
    and it's £200 cheaper.

https://www.templecycles.co.uk/products/adventure-disc-copy
    https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/equilibrium-disc-20

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

I can confirm what other people have said about the Genesis Equilibrium. My 2017 model takes 28mm tyres with mudguards.

But fitting a rack was a difficult and I had to fit a p-clip on one side. The rack mount is very badly positioned and interferes with the rear brake. It works and is ok for commuting, no way would I put a child seat on it. I can take a pic if you want to have a look.

I'd consider a touring / mountain bike if you are want to fit a kids bike seat. Also consider if the wheels you have can carry the extra weight.

I had that very same issue, 2015 model. The rack bosses are right behind the caliper. Ended up putting the rack on my disc one (I have two cos y'know, greed) which had not been the plan.

• Advertisement

mh_cork wrote: »
    I can confirm what other people have said about the Genesis Equilibrium. My 2017 model takes 28mm tyres with mudguards.

But fitting a rack was a difficult and I had to fit a p-clip on one side. The rack mount is very badly positioned and interferes with the rear brake. It works and is ok for commuting, no way would I put a child seat on it. I can take a pic if you want to have a look.

I'd consider a touring / mountain bike if you are want to fit a kids bike seat. Also consider if the wheels you have can carry the extra weight.

OK thanks very much for that, rules that out so. Wheels are 36h open pros with hope hubs, I think they'll take the extra weight

(I was only on their website last week - one of the Paris-Brest-Paris riders used one of their fixed-gear frames. No actual experience of their frames but the paint jobs look very refined)

Temple use Reynolds 520 tubing for their frames, which is quite basic. Something at the same price point like the Equilibrium is Reynolds 725, which is a far better material.

Temple use steel forks, rather than carbon. This isn't necessarily a bad thing -steel forks car ride very well and are more robust but it will be heavier. Ironically, a reasonable quality steel fork can now be dearer than a carbon one.

Thanks again. Are these bikes a sort of niche market? Lots of online places have little / no stock. Obviously the 2020 framesets are popping up now, but I'd be happy with a new "old" model, not much around though.

Cionn wrote: »
    Are you looking at new only ? I am planning to move my Specialized Tricross on Size 56cm
    Loads of clearance and I currently have a pannier rack on the back.

I'd happily go second hand for the right bike, but was hoping to get a new frameset and build it up as I already have all the bits I need for that. I think 56 is on the small side for me, I'm around 6 foot 3, but an odd shape, the legs are fairly normal but long arms, so could possibly get away with a slightly smaller bike with a long reach / stem

Sorry to resurrect this, but have done a bit of research online and I think :

The dolan looks good but is out of stock, (maybe 2020 bikes will arrive before long),

The genesis equilibrium looks the job but based on the few comments here I'd discount it,

The temple cycles looks overpriced for a fairly unknown entity, but then most of these frames just pumped out by some big Taiwanese factory anyway?,

The surly looks OK but I think maybe I'm going over the top? I'm looking for a winter bike primarily and will put one (maybe 2) kids on the thing now and again... The surly seems all about touring the world laiden down with luggage.... If going surly, cross check or long haul??

The thorn bikes seem expensive and bad website is off putting,

Found a trek 520 which seems OK but cantilever brakes like the surly... Not sure about that..

Can cantilever brakes be swapped for deep drop brakes? I understand the advantage of the canti is the big tyre clearance which would then be sacrificed... But can they be interchangeable on a frame??

Any other suggestions? All this frame googling is not good as closest I've come to buying anything so far is a Ridley Noah frameset!!

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... You won't find a rim brake that will take much more than a 25mm if you want mudguards too. Believe me, i've looked!...
    I have 28mm tyres on rim brakes with full fitted mudguards on one of my bikes (built by Derek Humphries).

Advertisement