Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House with messy network/patch panel area

Options
  • 12-09-2019 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I`ve moved into a new house, but the previous owners have left this..

There`s also a Unfi AP controller upstairs and I`m trying to get that onto my network, but I can`t get it to update..this is all fairly new to me as well.

I `v bought a wire tester and traced the ethernet outlet in my room back to the patch panel, but when I hooked my PC up to the outlet, there`s no internet...

I`m a bit lost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is the switch receiving Internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Sorry, but do you have active Internet service subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

'Internet' does not magically appear, you need to be subscribed to an ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm super curious, what's the model number of the square box in the seasonic tie wrap.

It looks like a Docsis router but you can't just buy your own in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

New House with messy network/patch panel area

Oh my ..... you really should see some of the messes the rest of us have ...... working messes I might add :D

That seems positively organised and tidy to me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Fear333

Wheety wrote: »
    Is the switch receiving Internet?

Yeah.
    Sorry, but do you have active Internet service subscription?

Yeah.
    degsie wrote: »
    'Internet' does not magically appear, you need to be subscribed to an ISP.

I am.
    I'm super curious, what's the model number of the square box in the seasonic tie wrap.

It looks like a Docsis router but you can't just buy your own in Ireland.

I forgot to mention, I`m in the states, not long over here BTW...

It`s an Xfintiy router.

Fear333 wrote: »
    I `v bought a wire tester and traced the ethernet outlet in my room back to the patch panel, but when I hooked my PC up to the outlet, there`s no internet...
    Amber light on GS1008 switch(make?) port #1 ? Is this indicating 100Mbps link?
    Have you created switching loop? If i am not mistaking:

#1(grey, hand made cable) goes back to Netgear(model?) router, guessing serving as 4port switch and WiFi
    #7(off white cable) goes back to Xfintiy router

If this is case, resolve by disconnecting #1(grey cable)

Your Netgear router x4 LAN ports to be connected to patch panel to provide link to rooms. WAN port is backbone to Xfintiy.
    You 8 port GS1008 switch one port to be used for backbone to Xfintiy box(#7 current), rest x7 ports to patch panel to provide link to rooms.

Side note: See if you don't have double DHCP

V2.0 :D

Noticed hidden device between Netgear and GS1008, behind cables.
    Is this power injector for your UniFi? can you expose what way is that connected.
    As i can trace x3 blue cables from patch panel back to Netgear, remains unclear where is grey cable from Netgear and GS1008 #1 goes.

V2.0 :D

Noticed hidden device between Netgear and GS1008, behind cables.
    Is this power injector for your UniFi? can you expose what way is that connected.
    As i can trace x3 blue cables from patch panel back to Netgear, remains unclear where is grey cable from Netgear and GS1008 #1 goes.

This any help?

This looks better. Does it work now?
    Hope you aware that injector ports are Data(IN) and Data+Power(OUT) - not to be mixed.

I see you got rid of Netgear.
    Yellow cable connecting laptop for configuration i guess.

• Advertisement

This looks better. Does it work now?
    Hope you aware that injector ports are Data(IN) and Data+Power(OUT) - not to be mixed.

I see you got rid of Netgear.
    Yellow cable connecting laptop for configuration i guess.

I managed to get the Unifi AP updated, I've created its own SSID as well and can use it to surf.

But I can only find it in the Unifi app in the stand alone devices section, I can't really do much else with it.

Tracing the ports to their proper rooms, is something that I'm not looking forward to doing, but will at some stage.

The one last thing that's really frustrating me is this AV receiver, they'd set it to have two zones, one zone upstairs and the second out on the porch, now I only managed to get it to work once and didn't make not if cable location in the panel, I've tried loads of configurations, but I can't get zone 2 to play music.

When I select a song in the Yamaha app, it plays it on zone 2, but not out of the speakers...

I was aware of the injector ports after I messed around with it, lol.

I was trying to use that netgear router ss an AP up in my room, but I couldn't figure it out.

That yellow cable is used for what ever... It's not connecting anything so far..

I`ve moved into a new house, but the previous owners have left this..

There`s also a Unfi AP controller upstairs and I`m trying to get that onto my network, but I can`t get it to update..this is all fairly new to me as well.

I`m a bit lost.

That is far from a messy patch panel. I've seen chaos 10 times worse in DCs.

Does your PC get an IP address?

I managed to get the Unifi AP updated, I've created its own SSID as well and can use it to surf.

But I can only find it in the Unifi app in the stand alone devices section, I can't really do much else with it.
    But have you introduced controller?
    You have single AP, and once you have configuration completed there is not much else to do. smile.png
    Controllers benefit is that you can setup/deploy/control/monitor dozens/hundreds of APs from one central location.
    If you plan to have more than one AP - go for it, whatever settings you do it will take effect on all/designated APs

For your setup, i think, most suitable would be software running on your computer
    https://www.ui.com/download/unifi/

Jump on UniFi community forums and/or see tube for videos like this or alike.

Tracing the ports to their proper rooms, is something that I'm not looking forward to doing, but will at some stage.
    Network Test Tool under $10 will make your life easy.

I was aware of the injector ports after I messed around with it, lol.
    :D
    I was trying to use that netgear router ss an AP up in my room, but I couldn't figure it out.
    You still can, but you need to:
    1. set its IP to static on same network range as your Xfintiy router
    2. disable DHCP on it to avoid IP duplicates/conflicts
    3. you can have it on same SSID+pass as UniFi or completely independent. Chanel must be different on APs
    Before you ask: No, UniFi controller won't be able to control this device.

Advertisement