Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler 30 day notice

Options
  • 12-09-2019 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I had my boiler serviced yesterday (do so every year). The boiler is in the downstairs bathroom and the panel to turn on/off the zones is also there. There is no shower in bathroom, just toilet and sink. He said that I need to move the panel out of the bathroom altogether. This surprised me as I have been in the house 10+ years, get a service every year and it has never been mentioned. I asked was it a new reg and he said no.

To move it will be a messy job and expensive. He issued me a 30 day notice to complete the work. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? If it was covered with a small box with a door and key would it be sufficient. Any help/views on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What do you mean when you say panel?
    As for 30 days notice, I’ve no idea. Can you post a pic of this notice?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Re standards, it's not a bathroom, it's a toilet.

A bathroom has either a shower or bath.

Same as Dec, 30 day notice??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

a 30 day notice? what is he, the gas boiler police? Ignore it, seems like a gangster trying to extract additional money from you.

Is he a registered on the RGII site. he should be and if he is not I'd report him.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C16982%2Cen.pdf

Key Note from that is:

It is acceptable to install a gas boiler in any room other than the principal living room. See section 9.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

TheShow wrote: »
    a 30 day notice? what is he, the gas boiler police? Ignore it, seems like a gangster trying to extract additional money from you.

Is he a registered on the RGII site. he should be and if he is not I'd report him.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C16982%2Cen.pdf

Key Note from that is:

It is acceptable to install a gas boiler in any room other than the principal living room. See section 9.
    MOD NOTE: Please don't advise OP to ignore the notice until we find out more. Also don't jump to conclusions regarding the veracity of the service person.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Who is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Key Note from that is:

The gas boiler can be fitted in the principal living room too

Who is he?
    MOD NOTE: What are you on about?

Wearb wrote: »
    MOD NOTE: What are you on about?
    The original post says HE gave a notice, my question was who exactly is HE. Is he a normal installation engineer? an inspector? a handyman who shouldn't be doing it, HE - who is HE? Is "HE" entitled or qualified to hand out these notices? Are they official?

Genuine question!

Same round about question The Show asked above:

The original post says HE gave a notice, my question was who exactly is HE. Is he a normal installation engineer? an inspector? a handyman who shouldn't be doing it, HE - who is HE? Is "HE" entitled or qualified to hand out these notices? Are they official?

Genuine question!

Same round about question The Show asked above:

That kind of clarity would have been welcomed in your post. You didn't even quote the post, just a one line question.
    ANYWAY WE'LL LEAVE IT THERE SO AS NOT TO PULL THREAD OFF TOPIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Wearb wrote: »
    MOD NOTE: Please don't advise OP to ignore the notice until we find out more. Also don't jump to conclusions regarding the veracity of the service person.

I wasn't jumping to conclusion, just asking if the serviceman was properly registered. its a reasonable question don't you think?
    Re the ignore it part, I suppose the question is what is the notice in relation to.
    30 day notice to do what? And on what grounds is the service person entitled to serve such notice and what are the consequences of same.

Sounds hokem to me, hence my initial reaction was as above.

• Advertisement

[PHP][/PHP]
    I wasn't jumping to conclusion, just asking if the serviceman was properly registered. its a reasonable question don't you think?
    Re the ignore it part, I suppose the question is what is the notice in relation to.
    30 day notice to do what? And on what grounds is the service person entitled to serve such notice and what are the consequences of same.

Sounds hokem to me, hence my initial reaction was as above.

Ignore it, seems like a gangster trying to extract additional money from you.

Read what you wrote again (above). Any more questions about moderation, take it to PM (as you should have done with this post), as per site rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I'd be interested to see the non conformance notice.

I cant see a issue myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JamesR75

Hi folks, thank you for replies. Apologies if my original post lacked clarity. I will do my best to provide more information.

Panel is probably the wrong word, basically I mean the control box which allows me to heat the rads and water. It is beside the boiler in the downstairs toilet. I get the boiler serviced every year and the engineer, who is RGII registered, said that the control box/panel would need to be moved from the toilet. This is the first time an engineer has stated this, again the gas boiler is serviced annually.

I was given a notice of non conformance and he stated that the work would need to be completed in 30 days or the gas supply would be cut off. I don't believe it's a scam as he has not looked for the job but it does seem extreme and I was wondering if I can challenge this.

I couldn't find detail online. Any help will be much appreciated.

I've managed to find some detail in operational procedures on RGII website:

"Risk from Electrical Energy

Code Red a non-conformance, with a performance mark of 10 points
    Any non-conformance resulting in a risk from electrical energy where the immediate or direct result of the installations intended use would be extremely likely to cause a hazard to persons or property shall be assigned a Code Red, including but not limited to:
    - Any gas appliance or control connected to mains voltage and fitted in bath or shower room, where a person standing in or on a bath or shower tray could touch the electrical control handle, button or
    knob.
    - Any exposed conductors, terminals or connectors forming part of the installation"

As I read this he has incorrectly interpreted the procedure. Am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I wonder if your RGI engineer is also RECI electrician? I'm only guessing here but it sounds this is an electrical safety issue rather than a gas issue. Putting a wall light switch inside a bathroom is against the wiring regulations so I'd imagine the boiler control panel will be illegal too

JamesR75 wrote: »
    I've managed to find some detail in operational procedures on RGII website:

"Risk from Electrical Energy

Code Red a non-conformance, with a performance mark of 10 points
    Any non-conformance resulting in a risk from electrical energy where the immediate or direct result of the installations intended use would be extremely likely to cause a hazard to persons or property shall be assigned a Code Red, including but not limited to:
    - Any gas appliance or control connected to mains voltage and fitted in bath or shower room, where a person standing in or on a bath or shower tray could touch the electrical control handle, button or
    knob.
    - Any exposed conductors, terminals or connectors forming part of the installation"

As I read this he has incorrectly interpreted the procedure. Am I correct?

Yep

As mentioned it is not a bath/shower room if there’s no bath/shower

Can you turn on the boiler via the panel from the shower or bath??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Can you turn on the boiler via the panel from the shower or bath??

:)
    JamesR75 wrote: »
    I had my boiler serviced yesterday (do so every year). The boiler is in the downstairs bathroom and the panel to turn on/off the zones is also there. There is no shower in bathroom, just toilet and sink.
    gary71 wrote: »
    As mentioned it is not a bath/shower room if there’s no bath/shower

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

I had a similar situation I had a boiler which was serviced every year without problem for about 10yrs. Then one year we had the boiler serviced by board gáis as part of our switching our bill over to them. The service was free but the lad that done it noticed the flu was taped were it attached to the exit whole from the boiler ( as it had been since we first moved in 10yr ago). He imidiately took the fuse out of the boiler switch and stuck a big sticker on it that said something about not using or compliant issue can't remember exactly. I had to get the flu replaced and rechecked by board gáis before I could use the boiler again. So these things can happen

Thank you for your view. I'm going to call the engineer on the non conformance and challenge based on the fact that it is a toilet and not a bathroom.

He had suggested moving to the kitchen but there is a sink there to so doesn't pass the sniff test.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    :)

That's kinda my point. That's only reason you couldn't fit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

corkgsxr wrote: »
    That's kinda my point. That's only reason you couldn't fit

That's where the confusion is, as it's only a wc and whb. Maybe the timer is directly over the whb or something.
    It would be great if JamesR75 posted a few pictures of the room showing the timer in relation to everything else just for clarity.

Any update on this?

Cheers

Advertisement