Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bean to coffee machine?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

it's a lovely thing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Just one thing is that the sage barista express is not a bean to cup. You need to tamp it yourself which takes a bit of practice (use cheaps beans to start).

The higher sage machines are bean to cup as they have automatic tamping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

dubstepper wrote: »
    Just one thing is that the sage barista express is not a bean to cup. You need to tamp it yourself which takes a bit of practice (use cheaps beans to start).

The higher sage machines are bean to cup as they have automatic tamping.

Its one thing I didnt think would be as hard to get as it is! Even looking at the portafilter basket I can see how uneven I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Klopp

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Delighted with the colour, I got the second last one on the site!

But my god, this milk lark is hard to get right. Espresso itself is tasting ok, no doubt still a lot of work to do but I'm more than happy to do so.

I was in two minds about that colour but more i see the more i like.

Best of luck and enjoy :)

Klopp wrote: »
    I was in two minds about that colour but more i see the more i like.

Best of luck and enjoy :)

Silver is too industrial looking I think.

As above, I have a lot of work to do to get the espresso dialled in, currently sitting at a measly 15 seconds for a double shot with 18g beans.

Would I be right in saying make the grind finer and up the grind amount?

yeah you should grind a bit finer alright

18g seems a good bit for a double shot though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I’ve the barista touch I grind at 8 fineness for 18 seconds.

The only annoying thing is it doesn’t seem to be consistent shot wise the first tends to be perfect and the second slightly over extracted. I also got a different tamper to see if that would make a difference but unfortunately not.

yeah you should grind a bit finer alright

18g seems a good bit for a double shot though

really? Most I have read (I know dont believe everything...) has said that 18g is a good starting point.

Have the finest grind setting on which is 1, grind amount just right for 18g of coffee (weighed portafilter after grinding) and extraction is sitting at around 17-18 seconds. Pressure is fine, no problem there. Tastes fine with milk, ideally would like slightly longer extraction as I feel there is deffo more taste to be got from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

really? Most I have read (I know dont believe everything...) has said that 18g is a good starting point.

Have the finest grind setting on which is 1, grind amount just right for 18g of coffee (weighed portafilter after grinding) and extraction is sitting at around 17-18 seconds. Pressure is fine, no problem there. Tastes fine with milk, ideally would like slightly longer extraction as I feel there is deffo more taste to be got from it.

Different beans dial in differently and also comes down to preference too.

When pulling a double espresso from my Gaggia Classic I generally use 20g of coffee with an aim of extraction of 40ml in 30 seconds. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I have mine set to 3 but the main thing to get a handle was the pressure to tamp with. My pressure gauge was not going into the espresso range. Have to tamp quite hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,728 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

dubstepper wrote: »
    I have mine set to 3 but the main thing to get a handle was the pressure to tamp with. My pressure gauge was not going into the espresso range. Have to tamp quite hard

You shouldn't have to tamp too hard, if you're tamping hard all you're doing is creating pockets in the coffee that the water can't pass through which will give you an uneven extraction because water will just travel through the other spots and over-extract those and leave you with a bitter espresso shot.

You only want to get an even tamp with just a bit of pressure. Sounds like you need to grind finer again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Just arrived today, delighted with it. Was sent out yesterday at 11am after me ordering at 8PM Friday, very happy with that all things considered.
    yzeee9r.jpg

Very jealous looks fantastic. Makes my magnifica look like a photocopier 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

as just an americano drinker which machine is the best for them that i can just plonk a big mug under? willing to spend circa 300

Love my Delonghi Magnifica tbh once you have it dialed in good coffee and easy to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

sioda wrote: »
    Love my Delonghi Magnifica tbh once you have it dialed in good coffee and easy to use.

What do you have your settings set at?

• Advertisement

My grind is set to 2 and shot amount to 11 o clock and coffee amount set to maximum.

I don't use the 2 shot button just do 2 seperate shots

So its been a week or two with the machine, and I am extremely happy with it. I have dropped to 16g of coffee in the portafilter, allowing me to tamp a lot better and a lot more even too. Sitting between 23/27 seconds extraction, although the pre infusion seems to be about 10 seconds or so, not able to change it either, so maybe still a bit fast?

The steam wand is fine, albeit sometimes a bit slow to heat up, but frothing milk is seriously tough to get used to. The jug has the thermometer on the side of it, 65 I normally take it out at.

Really happy with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

So its been a week or two with the machine, and I am extremely happy with it. I have dropped to 16g of coffee in the portafilter, allowing me to tamp a lot better and a lot more even too. Sitting between 23/27 seconds extraction, although the pre infusion seems to be about 10 seconds or so, not able to change it either, so maybe still a bit fast?

The steam wand is fine, albeit sometimes a bit slow to heat up, but frothing milk is seriously tough to get used to. The jug has the thermometer on the side of it, 65 I normally take it out at.

Really happy with it.

If you can get your milk foaming to sound like paper tearing you are on the right track

Really happy with it.

I picked one recently and i am still trying to get the extraction over 20 second's. I currently have the grind set to 2 and overall extraction is under 20 sec's, the pressure gage is hitting the sweet spot as recommended but i know it is under 36g mark. Are you using 16g in single or double? Are you counting the pre infusion time along with the extraction or once extraction begins?

I picked one recently and i am still trying to get the extraction over 20 second's. I currently have the grind set to 2 and overall extraction is under 20 sec's, the pressure gage is hitting the sweet spot as recommended but i know it is under 36g mark. Are you using 16g in single or double? Are you counting the pre infusion time along with the extraction or once extraction begins?

16g in a double basket. Counting pre infusion too, start your timer as soon as you start the shot.

• Advertisement

16g in a double basket. Counting pre infusion too, start your timer as soon as you start the shot.

I wasn't including pre infusion time. If I include that time, it brings it over the 20 sec. Thanks..

I wasn't including pre infusion time. If I include that time, it brings it over the 20 sec. Thanks..

Yep, that was my problem too as you can see in my last posts I was gettin 15 secs etc. Found after a bit of reading that you should start your timer as soon as you press start.

Yep, that was my problem too as you can see in my last posts I was gettin 15 secs etc. Found after a bit of reading that you should start your timer as soon as you press start.

Yeah, a lot of messing around in the beginning. I read up most don't start until the flow starts but it is very hard to get the time off between 20/25 seconds as recommend. I currently have my Grind set to 2 with 18g and now starting timing at pre infusion is perfect. I am using Coffee from Roasted Brown, Brazil Serra Do Cigano.

have been using my delonghi magnifica for little over a week.... is there a way to stop the auto rinse/clean after every time i switch it on?... i only have one or two coffees a day and at the moment it cleans everytime i switch on

RTFM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

sioda wrote: »
    Very jealous looks fantastic. Makes my magnifica look like a photocopier 😂

Looks good, which one is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭caviardreams

jobless wrote: »
    have been using my delonghi magnifica for little over a week.... is there a way to stop the auto rinse/clean after every time i switch it on?... i only have one or two coffees a day and at the moment it cleans everytime i switch on

Honestly it takes a few seconds and keeps the machine clean, why would you want to stop it?

Honestly it takes a few seconds and keeps the machine clean, why would you want to stop it?

I might only have one coffee a day sometimes, max two....seems a bit overkill to clean it everytime...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Glebee

jobless wrote: »

Dont think so, I have mine about 3 years. 4 coffees a day at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭dball

i think the cleaning process is to stop the spouts to clogging up with goooey coffee residue.
    that' why they offer a decent warranty i guess - ive taken mine off eco mode so it stays on for 3 hours before shutting down.

• Advertisement

zweton wrote: »
    Looks good, which one is this?

The pic on Damos post

Sorry just seeing now, would love one just cant at the moment. What would be the best one after that that's a little cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dball wrote: »
    i think the cleaning process is to stop the spouts to clogging up with goooey coffee residue.
    That's exactly why it does it. Why is it such a problem anyway?

This machine is the dogs bo**ox, really enjoying it.

As said previously, the milk jug has a temp scale on the side of it, I stop steaming just as it touches 65 or thereabouts, handy for a novice like myself. Obviously there is more accurate methods, but thats for down the road.
    I am still struggling with the milk, but more YouTube will get me there.

Have about 500g of Upside Beans left, VERY nice bean, Ill get the name of it later if anyone is wondering.

Anyone thinking of getting the machine, you wont regret it, and I have barely started with it yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Yeah, a lot of messing around in the beginning. I read up most don't start until the flow starts but it is very hard to get the time off between 20/25 seconds as recommend. I currently have my Grind set to 2 with 18g and now starting timing at pre infusion is perfect. I am using Coffee from Roasted Brown, Brazil Serra Do Cigano.

And how many ml are you getting into the cup?
    Did you change the shot volume or using the factory setting

This machine is the dogs bo**ox, really enjoying it.

As said previously, the milk jug has a temp scale on the side of it, I stop steaming just as it touches 65 or thereabouts, handy for a novice like myself. Obviously there is more accurate methods, but thats for down the road.
    I am still struggling with the milk, but more YouTube will get me there.

Have about 500g of Upside Beans left, VERY nice bean, Ill get the name of it later if anyone is wondering.

Anyone thinking of getting the machine, you wont regret it, and I have barely started with it yet!

Thinking of getting it, its out of stock atm but they will email when its in. The black one that is.

zweton wrote: »
    Thinking of getting it, its out of stock atm but they will email when its in. The black one that is.

This is back in stock from northxsouth - delivery is quick too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just a heads up for anyone looking for a Barista Express... Very reasonable price black at Amazon £429stg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072Q22S3J/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_t1_StDQEb69AMJ0F?th=1&psc=1

Oh nice, would this work out cheaper than northxsouth ? Wanted it in black too.

Scratch that it does, 525 euro with Amazon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement