Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo games/consoles even more bargain alerts thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Star Lord wrote: »
    If you've not played it, I'd say go for Black Flag instead, it's a much better game than III.

Is III really bad, or worth playing before Black Flag? I've not played any Assassin's Creed games and have been told they're good. So was hoping to get the remastered, rebel collection and Black Flag (and whatever other ones are available) I am just unsure of what order they are in and which ones are available for switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Suckit wrote: »
    Is III really bad, or worth playing before Black Flag? I've not played any Assassin's Creed games and have been told they're good. So was hoping to get the remastered, rebel collection and Black Flag (and whatever other ones are available) I am just unsure of what order they are in and which ones are available for switch.

AC 1,2 and 3 are all part of a connecting story and should be played in that order. From what I've played of the other games there's no real connection or order that is necessary to play them in. Just go for one that seems interesting to you. Black Flag is good fun, would recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I played AC, AC 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, loved them. 3 just bored me and I've never finished it. Loved Black Flag, so much more enjoyable than 3. Would have been better again without the janky tailing/eavesdropping bits that it inherited from the earlier games, but it's still really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

AC 1,2 and 3 are all part of a connecting story and should be played in that order. From what I've played of the other games there's no real connection or order that is necessary to play them in. Just go for one that seems interesting to you. Black Flag is good fun, would recommend.

The story only connects on the outside and it's all just nonsense. Just play Black Flag, also is there people who don't have a 360 or PS4 here? Get them on those consoles if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks, so I think I'll just get the Rebel collection for now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Black Flag is the only Assassins Creed game I truly loved. Those sea bits with your own ship were magical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Arrived yesterday.

It's definitely like a split Pro Controller. It's a bit light, even compared to the Joycons, and I've only tried it with Dragon Age, which isn't really a game that will benefit from it, but I'll try with Assassins Creed tonight.

It seems like it's going to be a good buy for anything that involves moving a camera though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Save £30 on the Switch Lite on Currys UK website, down to £169. Free delivery in the UK, so just add the cost of say AddressPal.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/switch+lite/xx-criteria.html

No such discount in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Len_007

sligeach wrote: »
    Save £30 on the Switch Lite on Currys UK website, down to £169. Free delivery in the UK, so just add the cost of say AddressPal.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/switch+lite/xx-criteria.html

And Spotify Premium for 6 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Seems to be a couple of colours on Amazon.de for around €190 plus shipping including the limited edition Pokemon one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I am looking for any excuse to buy DQ on the Switch, a deep discount and I'll pull the trigger

Is DQ Dragon Quest? If so it's down to €30 in Smyth's.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-gaming/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-games/dragon-quest-builders-2-nintendo-switch/p/176877

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

TitianGerm wrote: »

Dragon Quest XI. Builders is more similar to Minecraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

TitianGerm wrote: »

This is kind of a minecraft inspired spinoff as oppsed to a main entry in the series, which is Dragon Quest 11. Builders is brilliant though, based on the demo. Will be picking it up for 30 notes!

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is down to €40 in the sale. Think I'll pick that up. Dragon Quest still full price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ys VIII down to €30

Nothing of major interest in the sale today. Maybe Spyro but smyths have it for the same price physical cart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Was hoping there might be a few decent 3DS games on sale with the sale announcement but it looks like its the same old garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Ori, this war of mine, and the Witcher 3 are decent value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

skerry wrote: »
    Was hoping there might be a few decent 3DS games on sale with the sale announcement but it looks like its the same old garbage.

Your comment made me look at the Wii U eShop sale section out of curiosity, haven't looked at that in some considerable time. There's 40 games on sale there, some will expire at midnight from last week's sale, mostly trash, and not a single big game among them.

As an aside, do people still login to My Nintendo? I used to do it religiously every week for years, but stopped maybe a year or more ago. It's pretty useless for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Your comment made me look at the Wii U eShop sale section out of curiosity, haven't looked at that in some considerable time. There's 40 games on sale there, some will expire at midnight from last week's sale, mostly trash, and a single big game among them.

As an aside, do people still login to My Nintendo? I used to do it religiously every week for years, but stopped maybe a year or more ago. It's pretty useless for the most part.

I just log on to my 2DS anytime theres a sale announced for the Switch in the vain hope there will be some decent games on sale but it seems it's not getting a look in these days. Which is a pity cos most of the JRPGs I have my eye on are silly money to buy physical copies of.

It's reduced on Amazon now as well. No messing around with Parcel Motel needed.

Nintendo Switch Lite - Turquoise https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SJFW9T3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_z3KrEbD7MQTFC

Edit: it's down to €210 in Smyth's here. Only €5 more expensive than Amazon. They also have an option of adding Minecraft/Lego World's/Lego Jurassic Park/Mario & Rabbids for a bundle of €229.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Puyo Puyo Tetris is 70% off on the eShop, which brought it down to my "I'd pay ~£10 for it" range.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

dark souls remastered at 24eur does it run ok on the switch or should i pass? i could get it on ps4 for a euro more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

dark souls remastered at 24eur does it run ok on the switch or should i pass? i could get it on ps4 for a euro more.

It runs very well on the Switch, and having it on the go is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Some platform game recommendations from the current sale:

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is only 20 quid. It's a very good donkey kong rip off, with the kinda levels that'll make you smile. Well worth it, if you like platform games. And really polished, like a video game SHOULD be. 60 fps goodness. The top down zelda mechanic is a nice twist as well. Disclaimer: I've only played it for a few hours, but it sucked me right in. It takes ages to load the game, but after that it is fine.

Ori and the blind forest is 14 quid. Highly, highly recommend. More 60 fps goodness. Lovely soundtrack and lush backgrounds. Has a wonderful bullet time mechanic in it, that takes a bit to master, then it's so much fun.

Rayman Legends is probably the best current gen 2d (with tropical freeze) platform game. And it's 10 quid. You'd be mad to miss this. If nintendo reskinned this with Mario, it'd be on the front of Time magazine and people would pay 70 quid for it. One of the best soundtracks ever. And silky smooth 60 fps greatness. The end of level bosses are really goofy, challenging enough and fun.

Fun! This is video games! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

How does Civ run on the switch, would be interesting to hear if anyone has it on the switch lite, presume it will run the same but any thoughts on how it would be purely in handheld mode.

I only played in handheld and thought civ held up well. If you like civ it is good, I don't really play civ and the game loop lost interest for me. But that is more me than the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Mario Odyssey is €39.99. I completed it in dock mode well over a year ago and sold my switch. Now have the lite and tempted to buy it again. It’s just a masterpiece but I’m worried I won’t get the same joy second time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Mario Odyssey is €39.99. I completed it in dock mode well over a year ago and sold my switch. Now have the lite and tempted to buy it again. It’s just a masterpiece but I’m worried I won’t get the same joy second time around.

When you completed it, did you stop after the Bowser battle? If so, it's well worth going back to. All of the levels get a whole new set of moons after beating Bowser, and a lot of them are even more fun than the first time round. They're a little trickier than the first set. Such a fantastic game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

pasta-solo wrote: »
    When you completed it, did you stop after the Bowser battle? If so, it's well worth going back to. All of the levels get a whole new set of moons after beating Bowser, and a lot of them are even more fun than the first time round. They're a little trickier than the first set. Such a fantastic game!

Ye I started the harder levels

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought the new Yooka Laylee game and I have to say I'm not enjoying it at all.
    Much as with the first one, the idea sounded great but when I jumped in it all felt a bit m'eh.
    It was like playing your old games again, with the old fashioned mechanics and all, but without the nostalgia factor to forgive them for it.
    Still, at least they weren't expensive, and they aren't anything like as disappointing as the new Bubble Bobble game on the Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I bought the new Yooka Laylee game and I have to say I'm not enjoying it at all.
    Much as with the first one, the idea sounded great but when I jumped in it all felt a bit m'eh.
    It was like playing your old games again, with the old fashioned mechanics and all, but without the nostalgia factor to forgive them for it.
    Still, at least they weren't expensive, and they aren't anything like as disappointing as the new Bubble Bobble game on the Switch.

I wasn't mad on the overworld but loved some of the individual levels. Tight as feck platforming.

Yep, platforming is great in it. Plus special abilities and different transformations of the levels spice it up.

Forgot to mention there is a demo available AFAIK.

Wasn't clicking for me and then I got the gliding ability and there was this level with a load of doors and I was having a load of fun.

Yooka Laylee And The Impossible Lair Nintendo is down to €18 in Argos.

Item code is 342/1507

Edit: it's £15 on Amazon now as well if your local Argos is out of stock.

The Witcher is looking a bit more tempting now with the latest patch, updated graphical options, some touch controls and cross save with PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭xckjoo

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    The Witcher is looking a bit more tempting now with the latest patch, updated graphical options, some touch controls and cross save with PC.
    I'm playing it on the Switch Lite and loving it. Don't notice any graphics issues, but maybe they'd be more obvious on a bigger screen. No issues with controls.

Edit: Updated it last night and ran it and definitely felt there was a noticeable improvement in graphics! My biggest complaint about this game is it's not giving me much reason to buy anything else :D

Yeah prob 20+ hours in to the Witcher and it plays so well. It really is amazing that it works at all, never mind that it is this good. So if they can squeeze in any improvements then hats off to them.

Same, 20 hours in and its epic. Don't wait any longer.

Same, 20 hours in and its epic. Don't wait any longer.

Stop convincing me haha

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Stop convincing me haha

Looks like the new update adds a lot of great features and improved graphics too. Cross play is pretty cool, so you can play on pc then continue on switch. And it's on sale too in the eshop. The devs are doing great here. I think it's in their interest for this game to reach as many people as possible, especially with the Netflix series doing the rounds.

Will get it on cartridge one day ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

TitianGerm wrote:
    Yooka Laylee And The Impossible Lair Nintendo is down to €18 in Argos.

I've to stay away from this thread for a while. I didn't like the demo, but as soon as there is a bargain posted I find myself in argos collecting a reservation...

Grassey wrote: »
    I've to stay away from this thread for a while. I didn't like the demo, but as soon as there is a bargain posted I find myself in argos collecting a reservation...

Just give it a go ... takes a bit to get into ... and it's a bargain at that price ... if you like platform games. Really well designed coin collecting puzzles in there.
    Plus you can't beat getting a game on a physical cartridge for one of those auld Nintendo devices. Screw you DVD/CDROM/eshop :)
    CEX will give you 17 quid for it at the moment ... if you really can't stand it.
    I didn't like the Ori demo either and got the full game in a sale. Glad I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

nintendoo wrote:
    I didn't like the Ori demo either and got the full game in a sale. Glad I did.

Ori grabbed me right away. Fantastic game.
    Also awaiting the wonderful 101 game this thread made me buy also :}

Grassey wrote: »
    Ori grabbed me right away. Fantastic game.
    Also awaiting the wonderful 101 game this thread made me buy also :}

Yes, this thread is dangerous. I've bought loads of things I don't need. And have become a nintendo junkie.

I'm in recovery at the moment ... one game at a time from the backlog ... no new games ... except when a (mostly first party) AAA physical game comes up discounted. (the other stuff gets discounted at lot, all the time on the eshop, so that can wait).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Bought Sonic & Mario 2020 €40, €55 on the box but rang up €40.

Diablo Eternal Collection down to £30 on Amazon.

httpss://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GSV8GNH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hy5tEb80VX642

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Bought Sonic & Mario 2020 €40, €55 on the box but rang up €40.

That's nice for you :) Not much use to the rest of us though trying to guess where you got it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Anyone know if Nintendo Switch is region locked at all? Heading to France in a few days and I see they've some deals on consoles. Will there be any issues connecting to the e-shop in Ireland or using cartridges from here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anyone know if Nintendo Switch is region locked at all? Heading to France in a few days and I see they've some deals on consoles. Will there be any issues connecting to the e-shop in Ireland or using cartridges from here?

no, it's not locked at all. You can even buy from different countries eshops

• Advertisement

I got a few games on cart from Germany and all work fine and are in English. Only the box has German text.

Advertisement