Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo games/consoles even more bargain alerts thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Can you use this to play local co-op. I have the normal and lite. If I buy on X account and download it on both. Can I launch it on the Normal Switch with X account and then use Y account on the lite.

I'm trying to play minecraft co-op with my 4 year old and the split screen is difficult to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You can't, to the best of my knowledge, buy a game on 1 account, add that account to 2 switches, download it on both and play. If there were, there would only be 1 switch account to cover the entire user base and we'd take it in turns to buy games.

You can, I think, have the same account present on 2 switches as long as you don't try to make the same account Primary on more than one switch, and you don't try to download a game you already have installed on another switch using the same account. I could be wrong about that though.

Long story short - if you want to play Minecraft on 2 screens you need 2 Minecrafts

Bear in mind too, that (again, going from memory) on Bedrock Edition you can cross-play between Switch, Android, PC and XBox. So break out a tablet or an old phone!
    Where have you been hiding don't go away like that again we need all hands on deck to build Nook tower
    Aw shucks :D I've been reading but staying very quiet on account of my D&D addiction. Need to keep my hands free for rolling dice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banjo wrote: »
    Aw shucks :D I've been reading but staying very quiet on account of my D&D addiction. Need to keep my hands free for rolling dice.

*Banjo rolls a nat. 0 with that answer*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Speaking of rolling Super Monkey ball is €20 in Smyth's as of today time for some monkey business

It can't be a coincidence that they also have this awesome Monkey head mask to go with it for only €7!
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/fashion-and-dolls/soft-toys/plush-head-monkey-mask/p/163981
    163981_3.jpg
    If you listen closely you can hear them polishing your Dad Of The Year award as you approach the till...

• Advertisement

I'm so getting that and getting my Dance Monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Got civ 6 today. Cheers whoever posted that bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Banjo wrote: »
    It can't be a coincidence that they also have this awesome Monkey head mask to go with it for only €7!
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/fashion-and-dolls/soft-toys/plush-head-monkey-mask/p/163981
    163981_3.jpg
    If you listen closely you can hear them polishing your Dad Of The Year award as you approach the till...

mmmm, possible Covid19 avoidance benefits

Thinking of picking up Shovel Knight from Smyth's for €30

It's a great game but it's hard. Proper old school hard. The way a game used to be able to get away with because it knew you spent all your money on it and it was all you had to play, so you couldn't afford to walk away from it. And I can't beat any of the bosses with my old man hands and my soft, flabby open-world-corrupted narrative-driven-rotted gamer-will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone know where I could get an N64 4mb expansion pak for a reasonable price?

xtal191 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could get an N64 4mb expansion pak for a reasonable price?

Ali express have them cheap. But there's no garentee that they are legit. Also theres the china thing...

https://h5.aliexpress.com/item/33005388304.html?spm=a2g0n.seo-amp-search.searchResult.33005388304

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

You could try rage in dublin city center that carrys alot of retro stuff aswell as a shop on talbot st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was bored, so I had a look around.
    I've no idea which items nintendo licenced or made, no doubt some of these are neither, but maybe you could check out the stores reviews.
    https://us.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000INR2/
    https://www.lukiegames.com/N64-Expansion-Pak-RAM-Expander--Nintendo-64-N64-Game.html
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/DHL-free-shipping-memory-ram-expansion_62067597700.html

sugarman wrote: »
    eBay. Going rate is €20 del from UK.

Theyre Jumper Paks.

RAGE never have any in stock, if they do they dont last very long. Theyre also double the going price on ebay.

okay bud, but google '' N64 4mb expansion pak'' from his post and see what comes up, either a memory card or the memory expansion.

Yeah, the Jumper Pack is the opposite of the Expansion. It's a terminator for when you don't have the Expansion. If you're old enough to remember old-school SCSI or even RDRAM it's that kind of thing. The socket needs to have something in it, the jumper is just there to stop the signal reflecting back down the bus and screwing everything up.

If you have a functioning N64 and no Expansion pak you already have the Jumper.
    Waiting 4 weeks to get a cheap pak from China only to find you'd ordered the wrong thing would be a little soul destroying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Been looking for this Hori Split Pad to drop under €40 for a while.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HORI-Split-Pad-Pro-Nintendo/dp/B07T5QKKVP/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's a Level 5 sale on the Japanese eShop.
    Just picked up Ni No Kuni and Layton's Mystery Journey for 1000 yen each

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There's a Level 5 sale on the Japanese eShop.
    Just picked up Ni No Kuni and Layton's Mystery Journey for 1000 yen each

Bugger, Ni No Kuni is in Japanese language only!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Thats a shame,very good price for the 2 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Thanks for that update, was about to chance one of those titles today

Just picked up the Trine collection in Smyth's of Swords for €15.
    They've also got Super Monkey Ball for €20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Super.
    Monkey.
    Ball?

No matter what way I say it. I'm sold. Don't care what it is. I'm not even going to google it. Fireworks in my mind have all sorts goin on. :D
    Smyths tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I wonder if the eShop (and indeed other networks) will start doing some major sales to help the isolation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

chrislad wrote: »
    I wonder if the eShop (and indeed other networks) will start doing some major sales to help the isolation!

Would a sale on Alien Isolation be a little too tongue in cheek?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Would a sale on Alien Isolation be a little too tongue in cheek?

Only if it's 19% off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Maybe a silly question lads, first time buyer of games from non Irish e-shop. Some good bargains on eshop-prices

I assume revolut will work instead of PayPal for regional shopping

Also, if I buy from Mexico store is there any way to know if English language is available. No hablo espanol!

Thanks!

https://eshop-prices.com/?currency=EUR for a list of prices.

Revolut works for a few - South Africa, and Russia for one.

For US, you need to buy gift cards - I normally get them from pcgamesupply

For JPN, I set up a PayPal account linked to my Revolut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Maybe a silly question lads, first time buyer of games from non Irish e-shop. Some good bargains on eshop-prices

I assume revolut will work instead of PayPal for regional shopping

Also, if I buy from Mexico store is there any way to know if English language is available. No hablo espanol!

Thanks!

Mexico is tricky, I got it to work but my account got compromised so I stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I never got Mexico to work. Shame, some really good deals there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Does Layton's Mystery Journey have English ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Currently downloading Animal Crossing after buying the key from CDKey for €46. Great price and you get 300 coins - so €3 back.

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Does Layton's Mystery Journey have English ?

Nope :(
    Not sure what's going on
    Any Japanese release that also has a English language equivalent would be playable in our local lingo, but not these two Level 5 releases for some reason...
    Bugger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Nope :(
    Not sure what's going on
    Any Japanese release that also has a English language equivalent would be playable in our local lingo, but not these two Level 5 releases for some reason...
    Bugger...

Presume you've checked the eshop for downloadable language packs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Trine doesn't seem to be on the website at all now. Guess it's in store only now

xckjoo wrote: »
    Trine doesn't seem to be on the website at all now. Guess it's in store only now

It wasn't on the site before I called in either.
    It was in a cabinet built into the counter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Really retro ! :)

I got Trine in blanch on Friday night still be there today they also had Hollow Knight at €30 not on site I thought it was a might expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Cheers. Games look intriguing but not sure it's worth trekking across town dodging coronavirus on the off chance they have it in my local Smyth's :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

eshop is down in full cabin fever fuuuu

safetyboy wrote: »
    eshop is down in full cabin fever fuuuu

translation? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First 3 words are enough to get the message across. :)

Down in Japan about 5 hours now apparently just seen on Nintendo everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

The lockdown might be the perfect excuse to get a console again.
    As I'm one of the lucky ones who just gets to do my computer based job from home (although that is prob the case for a lot of Boardsie Nyerds :) ), I'm at home 24/7 for the foreseeable future with wife, and 3 & 5 yr old.

So, assuming online shops still exist and are open, where is the best place to pick up a Switch these days?

Are the kids too small to get any use out of a Switch?
    if not, any game recommendations for their age?

And, would I be as well off getting a Switch Lite at this point, or is the full Switch still worthwhile? I seem to see a lot of problems with joy cons etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    As I'm one of the lucky ones who just gets to do my computer based job from home (although that is prob the case for a lot of Boardsie Nyerds :) ), I'm at home 24/7 for the foreseeable future with wife, and 3 & 5 yr old.

So, assuming online shops still exist and are open, where is the best place to pick up a Switch these days?

And, would I be as well off getting a Switch Lite at this point, or is the full Switch still worthwhile? I seem to see a lot of problems with joy cons etc...

Argos or Smyths, and Switch Light isn't a console, only handheld.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Argos or Smyths, and Switch Light isn't a console, only handheld.

To clarify: the Switch Lite is as much a console as a full Switch, but just can't be plugged into a TV.

It's great if you want something portable, but as you are looking for something for the house a full Switch is probably more suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

DavyD_83 wrote: »

Full normal switch - you can get 1st/2nd/3rd party controllers for it ; connect to TV ; play couch co-op games ; ... Some of the games deserve to be played on a big TV plus Mario Kart et al would be tiny with 2/3/4 player on a switch lite...

The problem you will have with a 3 and a 5 year old is keeping them away from the Switch :-)

(edit)
    But loads of brilliant games for everyone on Switch/Nintendo platforms. Mario Kart 8 DX is an ideal choice - local multiplayer and automatic steering modes (etc). Also they can have a lot of fun playing/watching/helping with e.g. Mario Odysssey et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

mrcheez wrote: »
    To clarify: the Switch Lite is as much a console as a full Switch, but just can't be plugged into a TV.

It's great if you want something portable, but as you are looking for something for the house a full Switch is probably more suitable.

It's not a console if it can't be plugged into the TV imo.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    It's not a console if it can't be plugged into the TV imo.

It's a console regardless of whether it can be used on a large screen or not... same with all other handheld consoles, but I just wanted to make sure the other poster didn't think it was a severely under-powered machine compared to the original Switch.

It's a full Switch, but just slightly smaller screen and can't be plugged into the TV, and can't change the joycons or play games that require joycons to be removed (though you can connect a separate set of joycons if you really want).

• Advertisement
Advertisement