Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo games/consoles even more bargain alerts thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Handheld console. Clue is in the name.

5 is a good age. I'm playing Kirby with my 4 year old. She can fly and eat enemies and doesn't do much else, but we laugh so much it is worth every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

mrcheez wrote: »
    It's a console regardless of whether it can be used on a large screen or not... same with all other handheld consoles, but I just wanted to make sure the other poster didn't think it was a severely under-powered machine compared to the original Switch.

It's a full Switch, but just slightly smaller screen and can't be plugged into the TV, and can't change the joycons or play games that require joycons to be removed (though you can connect a separate set of joycons if you really want).

All that says it's not a home console. The guy should just get an Xbox One and Gamepass, a third of the price and a lot of games for him and the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    All that says it's not a home console. The guy should just get an Xbox One and Gamepass, a third of the price and a lot of games for him and the kids.

Hmmm - Speaking as a parent ... Nintendo has kids/family/couch games nailed though. And they appeal to all ages and sexes. Xbox, PS seem to be very adult , male oriented ... at least the AAA games.

nintendoo wrote: »
    Hmmm - Speaking as a parent ... Nintendo has kids/family/couch games nailed though. And they appeal to all ages and sexes. Xbox, PS seem to be very adult , male oriented ... at least the AAA games.

Every single console has kids nailed down now, Gamepass is %50 kids games but yes Nintendo is more for kids I agree, it's just his kids aren't gonna know if they're playing as Yoshi or Bubsy, they'll just care if it's fun and there are so much choice on any console nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It's not a console if it can't be plugged into the TV imo.

I'd even contend that it's not primarily a console even if can plug into a TV. And the Switch Lite is a handheld, not a console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Every single console has kids nailed down now, Gamepass is %50 kids games but yes Nintendo is more for kids I agree, it's just his kids aren't gonna know if they're playing as Yoshi or Bubsy, they'll just care if it's fun and there are so much choice on any console nowadays.

Gamepass with a cheap xbox is a no brainer. Could get three years of free games for about 120e. Switch is great but add a cheap Wii u or 3ds and he has most of the good kiddie games covered.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    The lockdown might be the perfect excuse to get a console again.
    As I'm one of the lucky ones who just gets to do my computer based job from home (although that is prob the case for a lot of Boardsie Nyerds :) ), I'm at home 24/7 for the foreseeable future with wife, and 3 & 5 yr old.

So, assuming online shops still exist and are open, where is the best place to pick up a Switch these days?

Are the kids too small to get any use out of a Switch?
    if not, any game recommendations for their age?

And, would I be as well off getting a Switch Lite at this point, or is the full Switch still worthwhile? I seem to see a lot of problems with joy cons etc...

You'd be better off getting the full Switch, particularly given the age of your kids. I wouldn't want them holding a Switch, too expensive a risk should they drop it. It's too early to tell if the Joy-Con drift has been completely fixed on the Lite. Whereas you can replace them on the full Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Switch is a console. Switch lite is a handheld console.

Gamepass is great value, definitely a great option if only ever playing at home and don't want specific Nintendo games.

Octopath Traveler 50% off on eShop - £24.99.

Snake Pass - 70% off on eshop - £4.79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Thanks all. Sounds like full switch then.
    Not really interested in getting an x-box to be honest.
    I've a wii which never got much use to get rid of at the moment. Have it upn on adverts, bit looking like I might actually get better return bringing it to CEX or the likes, maybe to trade against a switch or some games.
    I'll give it some more thought; I'll be killed if I spend €300+ at the moment

I've a wii which never got much use to get rid of at the moment. Have it upn on adverts, bit looking like I might actually get better return bringing it to CEX or the likes, maybe to trade against a switch or some games.

Yep, Nintendo is expensive ! But if you want something everyone can play then , especially the little kids, then it's a good choice. Kart, Odyssey, BOTW etc will last for ages ... And you can trade in physical AAA games if you don't like them. Still - it's an expensive console ; which is not as sturdy as previous Nintendo hardware ; all considered.

Traded in my Wii for 20 quid I think in CEX. But I also have a Wii U - so I've still access to my Wii games library.

Interested in knowing why the Wii didn't get much play. If you had e.g. mario galaxy; kart; new super mario brothers wii ; smash etc on it then things won't be that much different on the Switch. You could try breaking that out with the kids and grab some 2nd hand games cheaply from CEX (if it's still open!) or from maybe Amazon. e.g. Mario Galaxy is a wonderful game.

(sorry for hijacking the bargain alerts thread)

Get the normal switch. The controllers pop off for 2 player ( you would need to buy a second one for a lite), it also stands up so ye can play on a coffee table, or hand held or on the TV.

My ones love the colouring book, jigsaw puzzles, Cinderella interactive story, Kirby, the the goose game cracks her up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Final fantasy sale on their 5+ year old games

Cheapest prices are

FFVII - €6.13 (Russia)
    FFVIII - €8.74 (Mexico)
    FFIX - €7.66 (Mexico)
    FFX/X2 - €16.18 (Norway)
    FFXII Zodiac age - €16.18 (Norway)
    FFXV pocket edition - 10.08 (Norway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Might bite on FFVII, finally. Or I could play it’s predecessor first on the snes mini.

Question to the audience: how much of a part does the turn based combat play? The frequency of it in Octopath Traveler was an annoyance - is it similarly frequent in these games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I've been playing FFVII all morning the random battles are headwrecking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

manual_man wrote: »
    Might bite on FFVII, finally. Or I could play it’s predecessor first on the snes mini.

Question to the audience: how much of a part does the turn based combat play? The frequency of it in Octopath Traveler was an annoyance - is it similarly frequent in these games?

It is in parts BUT these new versions have features to auto-level, turn off encounters, and increase the battle speed!

Argos have overwatch for €19.99 on switch with the 3 month sub

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I've been playing FFVII all morning the random battles are headwrecking

If you are playing it on the Switch you can turn off random battles on that version.

Yeah I seen on the other thread lifesaver until you come up against the Turks taking down the Pilar and realise I needed to level up. :p

I just got my animal crossing so all other games are over now

• Advertisement

I just got my animal crossing so all other games are over now

I keep hearing about this, what is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's the cutest debt simulator on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

The Animal Crossing wireless controller is available from Argos for €42.99 (Smyths have it for €49.99). When I went to pay for it a promotion applied and saved another €7.50. Not sure if it was because I bought it with the AC special edition console (which was also €5 cheaper than Smyths if anyone is in the market for it too).

Yeah it was a deal buy Animal Crossing or the console and save €5 on an animal crossing switch case or the controller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Yeah it was a deal buy Animal Crossing or the console and save €5 on an animal crossing switch case or the controller

Oh cool. I saved €7.50 though because the controller came to just €35.49. A pretty sweet surprise because I wasn’t expecting any savings. :)

I keep hearing about this, what is it?

Hope in times of trouble !

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Newcastle1892

Where's the cheapest place to get the Nintendo switch at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I asked same 2 pages back
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058014714&page=86
    Seems like Argos and Smyth's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I didn't see this posted:
    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pocket-mini-golf-switch/
    Pocket Mini Golf is now available for free Free if you own Space Pioneer or Sheep Patrol by Qubic Games

Space Pioneer was free for the "10 games for the Nintendo Switch from QubicGames" campaign.

Hold, aim, and then let go to create the perfect trick shot.
    But don't shoot too far, otherwise you'll end up in the void!
    Adjust your strength, the angle and slightly cut the shot.
    Avoid water, walls, magnets, windmills or the game is over!

Players: 1 - 4
    Categories: Sports, Arcade, Party
    Functions: handheld mode , table mode , TV mode , saved data cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Its sold out in some places so businesses don't exactly have to be competitive on price now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Pikuniku is €0.99 on eshop or €0.69 in SA
    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pikuniku-switch/

Conduct together is $0.01 on US store
    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/conduct-together-switch/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Suckit wrote: »

Thanks for this, Pikuniku's been on my radar for a whole and I'm willing to chance £0.89 on it :)

Drawful 2 for Switch is currently $0.09 on the American eshop. Grab it while it's available. It's price here in Europe is €8.50.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/drawful-2-switch/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There's a couple of others. Watermelon party and revenge of the bird king. If you have a few gold coins in the us it's free games season!

Watermelon party 3c
    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/watermelon-party-switch/

revenge of the bird king 1c
    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/revenge-of-the-bird-king-switch/

Also, sheep patrol is 39c of you want to avail of that offer above

Picked this up, its great but totally ruined my day. Stuck it on, kids thought it was hilarious, now they have my switch :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭jj880

Super find - racing to complete 50 holes in multiplayer is great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

Anyone no of anywere thats selling rune factory 4 for the switch physical can get it online but want to try pick it up somewhere for tomorrow .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

johnf26 wrote: »
    Anyone no of anywere thats selling rune factory 4 for the switch physical can get it online but want to try pick it up somewhere for tomorrow .

For niche titles like that if GameStop aren't carrying them online is the only way you'll get it.

No one stocking Rune Factory Harvest Moon bombed the last few versions here so did story of seasons sadly it's weird GameStop didn't stock it considering some of the switch games like Kill la Kill they did stock.

• Advertisement

€210 for Switch lite in Argos with Animal Crossing for €25 when bought together.

€235 for Switch lite and Animal Crossing in Argos

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2078195/Trail/searchtext%3ESWITCH+LITE.htm#tab3

Got a yellow, will sell the console and keep AC for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Got a yellow, will sell the console and keep AC for free.

You'll hardly get €235 for a Lite when someone can just buy it for €209 in Argos?

Do not feed

No one stocking Rune Factory Harvest Moon bombed the last few versions here so did story of seasons sadly it's weird GameStop didn't stock it considering some of the switch games like Kill la Kill they did stock.

GameStop still stock PQube published games, they've completely stopped stocking games from NISA and Marvellous, who publish Rune Factory.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You'll hardly get €235 for a Lite when someone can just buy it for €209 in Argos?

Sell when it's back at full price, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Anyone know the best deal currently for the console?

I see Argos has one for €260

• Advertisement

That €260 one isn't in stock it's been out of stock for months unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

That €260 one isn't in stock it's been out of stock for months unfortunately.

Why is it cheaper than the others?

Ask Argos I myself have no idea

Ask Argos I myself have no idea

It's the V1 console, it will never be back in stock either. Don't know why they haven't delisted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sell when it's back at full price, simple.

The RRP is €229 though? Why buy from you for more when you get a warranty with the shop and zero hassle if something does go wrong, however unlikely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement