Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo games/consoles even more bargain alerts thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

skerry wrote: »
    Flashback down to 99 cents. I do love a bit of nostalgia.

Rose tinted glasses and all that. Can't remember the last game I played where I had to push "up" to jump. I'll have a proper go later (and check if the horrible default controls can be remapped).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Mr E wrote: »
    Rose tinted glasses and all that. Can't remember the last game I played where I had to push "up" to jump. I'll have a proper go later (and check if the horrible default controls can be remapped).

I had a very quick look last night and my God the controls haven't aged well. I think they were somehow part of the appeal when I first played it as a kid. Couldn't not buy it at that price though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

That game isn't about controls! It's about the sweet animation when he draws his gun! I just need to register some Gold Points and get myself over the line so I can write it off as a freebie. Hey, The Witcher! You're finally getting put into the Switch! Animal who? Nah! That's history, I swear, this is your time! C'mere you silver haired little...<crash bang wallop>

BTW, if you speak Japanese - and only if you speak Japanese! - Ni No Kuni is cheap on the Japanese eShop. But if this doesn't put you off :
    対応言語
    日本語
    then don't buy it! It is not one of those titles with a little bit of localisation.
    It's 1500 yen so about 15 euro but if you don't know the exchange rate you probably also don't know the language....
    https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000020350

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It's been an awful long time, but I think it would have been back in my Amiga days when platformers last asked you to push up to jump - pretty sure it was the norm back then because real gamers used joysticks and not joypads. :P :P

Anyone who does not recognise these has not lived. :D:D

AQprZNR.jpg

B6dPdyQ.jpg

Trying to remember if Zool and Superfrog used the same mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I think I owned that exact model joystick back in my Atari ST days, the 2nd picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Suckit wrote: »
    I have that game I think on every single platform that I have.

Like me and classic Doom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

We had both of those exact same joysticks back in the day for the Amstrad CPC 6128.

Glorious days convincing myself that the games I was playing were actually good!

Zipstick is the top one, Quickshot 2 the bottom one. Good joystick, but no good for waggle fests like Decathlon, Combat School et al.

We originally had the Quickshot (non-microswitch version) for C64 and it felt like it was made of wood when you waggled it for Track & Field. Upgrading to version 2 and then Zipstick was amazing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,325 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think I had both those joysticks. Kids today don't know gaming like waggling the joystick to run only to lose due to the suction cups coming off the desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Aces of the Luftwaffe from The Game Collection - physical copy - £8.95 + postage.

https://www.thegamecollection.net/switch/aces-of-the-luftwaffe-squadron-edition-switch/?tduid=8800b657effda3467b7abc4ec4c30581

Edit: Looks like The Game Collection aren't posting outside of UK until further notice due to Covid-19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Corholio wrote: »
    Aces of the Luftwaffe from The Game Collection - physical copy - £8.95 + postage.

https://www.thegamecollection.net/switch/aces-of-the-luftwaffe-squadron-edition-switch/?tduid=8800b657effda3467b7abc4ec4c30581

Edit: Looks like The Game Collection aren't posting outside of UK until further notice due to Covid-19

They still deliver to Parcel Motel, Parcel Wizard and Address Pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭xckjoo

skerry wrote: »
    Flashback down to 99 cents. I do love a bit of nostalgia.
    Awesome. Played so many hours of this game as a kid. Never got very far but I know the first part like the back of my hand :D

Might make it a mission to try and beat it finally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Memories of sticking the joystick with the suction cups against the wardrobe door to try and get a better 100m time in Daley Thompsons Decathlon :)

I had the Quickshot IX - it looked like a trackball but it was an ergonomic 3/4 dome with microswitches and really badly placed buttons. But it was great for waggling like the clappers. Was great for building up those crucial early teen muscle groups.

Wild guns reloaded is half price btw if you can't be bothered sideloading the legitimately owned ROM of the original onto your SNES mini

Just got Ghostbusters Remastered and Katamari Damacy for $20 + a few gold coins in the US store ($9.89 + $11.99)

Just got Ghostbusters Remastered and Katamari Damacy for $20 + a few gold coins in the US store ($9.89 + $11.99)
    That's a great game. It's roughly the same price in SA if anyone is tempted (and you should be!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Cotts72

xckjoo wrote: »
    That's a great game. It's roughly the same price in SA if anyone is tempted (and you should be!).

I'm all over this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

We had both of those exact same joysticks back in the day for the Amstrad CPC 6128.

Glorious days convincing myself that the games I was playing were actually good!

Yep, thinking why can't this machine smooth scroll like the c64 or getting the 4 colour spectrum flick screen conversion. I remember an arcade conversion game called Renegage which was good, but each level was loaded separately from tape. And you had to rewind to the beginning once you got past the first level. :)

There was a great version of the arcade game Solomon's key on the amstrad. There is a nes version of it on switch online. Check it out. Good puzzle game.

Note: this post is only a bargain alert if you haven't played Solomon's key on NES on switch online :)

Looks like Splatoon is getting a 33% off deal and a free-play week next week, along with 7 days free online.

Or, to put it another way, if you give up around 7GB of storage on your Switch, you can sell your Animal Crossing turnips on another island next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

xckjoo wrote: »
    Awesome. Played so many hours of this game as a kid. Never got very far but I know the first part like the back of my hand :D

Might make it a mission to try and beat it finally

You might not like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Had to do it - just got Ghostbusters on SA Store.

Also used some gold coins on US eShop for Ding Dong XL - it's very simple but a great "just one more go" game - worth a gp though at 9c (Yes, $0.09)

Banjo wrote: »
    Looks like Splatoon is getting a 33% off deal and a free-play week next week, along with 7 days free online.

Or, to put it another way, if you give up around 7GB of storage on your Switch, you can sell your Animal Crossing turnips on another island next week!

Splatoon 2? Might be tempted or is it too late for newbies to get into the game at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bought Syberia 2 and Flashback at those prices it'd rude not to

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Also used some gold coins on US eShop for Ding Dong XL - it's very simple but a great "just one more go" game - worth a gp though at 9c (Yes, $0.09)

ken.jpg

Finished Ghostbusters recently on pc, pretty much a week or 2 before this the remaster was announced.

And looks like that Splatoon demo is just the online stuff and not the single player part. Thought it might have it all like they did with Arms

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bought Ghostbusters there this evening, though I have it and barely played it on the PS3.
    Ended up playing an hour of it there and then, a nice title made all the sweeter with the original cast (sans Moranis), music and settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Bought Ghostbusters there this evening, though I have it and barely played it on the PS3.
    Ended up playing an hour of it there and then, a nice title made all the sweeter with the original cast (sans Moranis), music and settings.

Would it be any good for a person who hasn't seen the movies? (Don't judge me).

Would it be any good for a person who hasn't seen the movies? (Don't judge me).

Reviews suggest it’s an ok game but for sure you won’t get as much out of it without the nostalgia factor. I’ve never been much of a Ghostbusters fan (can’t stand Bill Murray) and there’s no Sigourney Weaver, so a definite no for me.

Have a look at some reviews on YouTube and see if the gameplay itself appeals to you. It’s approx €11 on the SA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Not getting time for Ring Fit. Bought from Smythes last week. Willing to sell for cost plus Parcel Motel. Pm if you want it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jumped on Ghostbusters myself there, and picked up Flashback Remastered for free with accumulated Nintendo coin.

Any excitement here for Streets of Rage 4 on Thursday? €24.99 - was hoping for a predownload ahead of release, but you can't even preorder it on the store!

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Any excitement here for Streets of Rage 4 on Thursday? €24.99 - was hoping for a predownload ahead of release, but you can't even preorder it on the store!

Waiting for reviews. FYI it will be just under €20 (R405) in South Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I've ordered a physical version of SoR4 from Limited Run Games:

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/streets-of-rage-4

Unfortunately it won't be released until August and I may have to double dip. SoR 2 is my favourite game of all time and I still play it regularly on the Sega Classics compilation which is (almost) perfect recreation (they seem to have missed one hidden extra life at the half-way point of level 2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Jumped on Ghostbusters myself there, and picked up Flashback Remastered for free with accumulated Nintendo coin.

YEah - I'm very interested in SoR - might even have a few games on the Megadrive later to get me in the mood for it !

deadl0ck wrote: »
    YEah - I'm very interested in SoR - might even have a few games on the Megadrive later to get me in the mood for it !

Review of SoR4 here on the Guardian:
    https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/apr/25/streets-of-rage-4-review-the-return-of-the-beat-em-up

Plus some very interesting comments ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Doodah7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Jumped on the Ghostbusters bandwagon ......daycent for 10 euro (balance in coins)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

nintendoo wrote: »
    Review of SoR4 here on the Guardian:
    https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/apr/25/streets-of-rage-4-review-the-return-of-the-beat-em-up

Plus some very interesting comments ...

I was intrigued when I read about the new SoR, but the Mega Drive Collection has been an eye-opener for me when it comes to older games - turns out that even nostalgia can't make me stick with the majority of them for more than a few minutes.

Speaking of the Mega Drive collection, I find some of the omitted games baffling. No sports games at all seems weird - I would've expected at least a Sensible Soccer or World Cup '94. Similarly no Road Rash or Super Hang-On. Worst of all, no Mega Bomberman or Street Fighter 2 CE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Fysh wrote: »
    I was intrigued when I read about the new SoR, but the Mega Drive Collection has been an eye-opener for me when it comes to older games - turns out that even nostalgia can't make me stick with the majority of them for more than a few minutes.

Speaking of the Mega Drive collection, I find some of the omitted games baffling. No sports games at all seems weird - I would've expected at least a Sensible Soccer or World Cup '94. Similarly no Road Rash or Super Hang-On. Worst of all, no Mega Bomberman or Street Fighter 2 CE.

I'm the same, I'm interested in trying the new SOR but I dunno how people keep playing retro games.

Is Streets of Rage 4 not just the modern day Double Dragon Neon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I'm the same, I'm interested in trying the new SOR but I dunno how people keep playing retro games.

It's each to their own, there's a massive community of people who don't just play current and recent games, but enjoy the best the whole history of the hobby has to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Splatoon 2? Might be tempted or is it too late for newbies to get into the game at this stage?
    Was wondering the same but think Atavan only started lately too

• Advertisement

Will download the demo and see what it's like. Think the e-shop said there's 33% off the main game and 25% off the bundle which includes the DLC (which I remember reading was very good).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

I'd say there's still a decent playerbase. Splatfests are over but apart from that I'd say its still going strong. Its great craic, I put a decent amount of time into it when I bought it last year but all my progress was wiped when I upgraded my Switch cos Nintendo refuse to allow Splatoon 2 game saves to be uploaded to the cloud. Haven't played it since really, must try get back into it.

The DLC is very good too, they made a tonne of cool levels which really test your ability using the mechanics and is a good single player jaunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Fire Emblem Warriors on Nintendo Switch is £15.99 at Ebay Argos.

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/Fire-Emblem-Warriors-Nintendo-Switch-Game/362739207571

I'm kinda tempted myself. But Hyrule Warriors was more than enough for me, this is just more of the same, without the Zelda affinity though. Don't think you'll do better on price, and I'd say it'll be expired by the time most here see it.

Fire Emblem Warriors not expired but make sure to you use Parcel Wizard or something similar or postage is £10 to Ireland.

Normally never double/triple dip but picked up Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen last night for $14.99 on the US e-shop. Have it already on both Xboxes, hopefully I'll actually play it more this time. :D

Great game and well worth it at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I think this kind of belongs in the bargain thread as well, as you can't do better than playing games for free. You can get a free 7 day trial of Nintendo Switch Online, even if you've availed of it in the past.

Cuphead is 25% off , 15 quid euro, probably less on sa store

nintendoo wrote: »
    Cuphead is 25% off , 15 quid euro, probably less on sa store

Aw damn, just bought it a week ago

Streets of Rage 4 is live now on the e-Store with a 10% discount off purchase price

Streets of Rage 4 is live now on the e-Store with a 10% discount off purchase price

• Advertisement

Discount runs until May 4th according to eshop-prices site. €18.25 in SA is the cheapest price.

Was all set not to buy anything new for a while, but think I'll have to get this. Was one of my favorite games on the MegaDrive!

Advertisement