Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo games/consoles even more bargain alerts thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

jj880 wrote: »
    https://www.dekudeals.com/items/yokus-island-express

Yokus Island Express.
    75% off. 4.99 euro.

Damn! Forgot what thread this was and thought there was a sequel announced when I saw a trailer!

That is a great price for this game for anyone who hasn't played it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Hi folks,

where are the best places to get bargins on physical games?

Santa is bringing my 7yo the switch with Pokemon Shield, but needs a couple of more games to keep him going. I know digital games will be a lot cheaper, but I know, at least for the first while, my son will see the physical game as actually being a present as oppossed to a magically appearing download.

On that subject what would people recommend as the best games for that age group? I was thinking Mario Party, and Mario Kart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Faker74 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Santa is bringing my 7yo the switch with Pokemon Shield, but needs a couple of more games to keep him going. I know digital games will be a lot cheaper, but I know, at least for the first while, my son will see the physical game as actually being a present as oppossed to a magically appearing download.

On that subject what would people recommend as the best games for that age group? I was thinking Mario Party, and Mario Kart.
    Keep an eye on this thread and hotukdeals for deals on games. Not really a single place to go. Although if you're looking for a bricks and mortar option, Smyths and Argos are my go to. They're usually not too far off the likes of Amazon in prices too (excluding deals/discounts). Digital versions aren't always the cheapest either so don't worry too much about that.

Both good choices. Both can also be great fun for the whole family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Personally I like base.com, I've bought plenty of games and DVD's from them over the years. They've some good prices on things from time to time and usually ship just before release date so you tend to get games on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I see some Mario games are reduced, New Super Mario Bros U, Tennis & Party all seem to be down to €39.99.

Raging, as the young fella wants New Bros U for xmas, and i bought it last week, full price, from Amazon

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I see some Mario games are reduced, New Super Mario Bros U, Tennis & Party all seem to be down to €39.99.

Raging, as the young fella wants New Bros U for xmas, and i bought it last week, full price, from Amazon

If you bought it physical, I'd say that's grand. There's something special about owning and handing over a physical gift (plus he can sell it on later :) ).

I have owned Mario + Rabbids twice now and twice sold it on after finishing it. Now the entire packaged is heavily discounted on the eShop and I've taken the plunge. It's not a game I should have sold on (enjoyed it too much) and now, with a digital version, I can't sell it on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Rhyme wrote: »
    If you bought it physical, I'd say that's grand. There's something special about owning and handing over a physical gift (plus he can sell it on later :) ).

I have owned Mario + Rabbids twice now and twice sold it on after finishing it. Now the entire packaged is heavily discounted on the eShop and I've taken the plunge. It's not a game I should have sold on (enjoyed it too much) and now, with a digital version, I can't sell it on :)

Great point, thanks dude. Best thing about physical Ninty games, they hold their value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Hi folks,

7 year old:
    Mario Odyssey: Switch Classic. Get it. 41 stg amazon uk. Can go lower. But not bad price!
    Mario Kart: Ditto. about 50 stg, It has been lower.
    Captain Toad Treasure Tracker: Beautiful 3d puzzle game. Cheap price for Nintendo. I see it for 28 and 42 stg on Amazon uk. ??? I know which I go for :)
    Rayman legends: Brilliant 2d platformer. Cheap price. 14 stg and more expensive options on amazon uk right now. I'd go for the 14 bucks one.
    Mario Maker 2 is wonderful. You'd need switch online to make the most of it. So that's a downside as it's an extra cost. But you'll get lots of older games "free".

Not sure about Mario Party. It gets average reviews on Switch.
    I'd hold off.
    Minecraft also on Switch for < 25 quid. Haven't played it. But I hear it's quite popular :)

Also, physical Nintendo first party games are usually cheaper than digital + you can sell them on. You can share them. Plus the boxes are nice :) I always go physical for Nintendo first party games.

Check Smyths too before buying. They do similar prices and good home delivery service + you are helping the local economy. Should be free when ordering over a certain price. ( i.e. switch games :) ) You need to register an account.

Suckit wrote: »
    Bought it, and it seems like a decent game, I like the look and way it plays so far, but I didn't really have a long shot at it as I had to go out, I should have waited until the weekend. But does it have longish loading times between acts? Nothing unbearable, just seemed a bit long (I didn't load many so not sure).
    Also.. Is this game animated by the same people that used to/still make Samurai Jack? I haven't seen it in probably almost 20 years, but it seems very similar to the way I remember it, especially some of the close up scenes.

Amnesia: Collection is €5.59 in Ireland or €4.57 in Russia
    STAR WARS Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is €4.49 in Ireland or €3.66 in Russia
    They both look decent.

yes longish loading times for new areas but that is the case for a lot of switch games tbh. at least when you die (which is the nature of this type of hotline miami game) you get an instant restart which is the vital bit to nail for this genre

it's a pretty decent game - and one ideal as I said to play for short bursts for a level / area or two which is fine for when you're in the mood for something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭Peckham

Hi folks,

We bought Mario Party last week and our 9, 6 and 3 year olds all love it. Best family game I've bought since getting the Switch around 6 months ago.

Lots of playing together, laughing and jumping around the place.

Don't have Mario Kart yet, but Santa is bringing Mario Kart Circuit.

• Advertisement

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Minecraft also on Switch for < 25 quid. Haven't played it. But I hear it's quite popular :)

Definitely get Minecraft for them. Fantastically creative game. My 16 year old is still playing it with his mates. There's basically no end to what they can do in it.
    Might be better on digital though so they don't have to deal with the cartridges. But it for them after they get the Switch from Santa to get the kudos you deserve!

Mario kart 8 dx less than 40 stg on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N1081RO

Funny it was 50 quid a few days ago.

That's a good price for this game.

Also, the 13 quid Rayman legends is a download code ... So watch out if you want a cart.

Mario Odyssey also 40 stg and BOTW 45 stg Amazon uk. Good prices for these games if you are new to switch or getting one for Xmas.

Yes, still expensive after all these years but still so worth it.

Actually a lot of good prices on Amazon uk for Nintendo first party eg
    Aninal Crossing 40
    Paper Mario 38
    Pokémon Sword 40
    Tropical Freeze 40
    Mario U DX 40

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Turok 2 seeds of evil is 8.79 on the eshop. the graphics where touched up for the n64 game same game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Turok 2 seeds of evil is 8.79 on the eshop. the graphics where touched up for the n64 game same game.

I remember really enjoying this at the time. I can't imagine it has aged particularly well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

chrislad wrote: »
    I remember really enjoying this at the time. I can't imagine it has aged particularly well though.

The Nightdive ports are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭jj880

All Guacamelee games are 65% off.

Ive completed Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition. Great game for under 5 euro.

The Nightdive ports are excellent.

Oh, I have no issues with the port per se, but the gameplay may not compare favorably with 20+ years of FPS evolution since. GoldenEye was amazing back in the day, but it's a difficult game to play now with muscle memory honed to dual sticks/keyboard+mouse combinations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Oh, I have no issues with the port per se, but the gameplay may not compare favorably with 20+ years of FPS evolution since. GoldenEye was amazing back in the day, but it's a difficult game to play now with muscle memory honed to dual sticks/keyboard+mouse combinations!

It's dual stick and controls great. It is better than the original N64 and PC versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

All Guacamelee games are 65% off.

Ive completed Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition. Great game for under 5 euro.

Is the first or second considered the better game?

Both similar ratings on metacritic.

Im not far into the second game but it plays just as well as the first. Ive watched reviews where they say some of the sections are harder which is fine by me as I really enjoyed the tough sections in the first game. I'd get the first. If you enjoy it get the second. It carrys on from where the first game finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Bought Ni No Kuni it's ducking beautiful great value for €10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Commander Lilith DLC Free for a Limited Time to Owners of Borderlands 2 on Switch

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2020-11-03-commander-lilith-dlc-free-to-owners-of-borderlands-2-switch/
    The fifth campaign add-on for Borderlands 2 is now available on Nintendo Switch, and available for FREE to owners of Borderlands: Legendary Collection or Borderlands: The Handsome Collection on Switch until December 3. Claim your copy from the Nintendo eShop. Requires Borderlands 2 (included in Borderlands: Legendary Collection and Borderlands: The Handsome Collection) to play.

Starting today, and for free until December 3, anyone who owns Borderlands: Legendary Collection or Borderlands: The Handsome Collection on Switch can add another adventure to their collection via the Nintendo eShop: Commander Lilith & the Fight for Sanctuary.
    The fifth campaign add-on for Borderlands 2, Commander Lilith & the Fight for Sanctuary details the events leading up to Borderlands 3 and introduces some exciting features.

Bought Ni No Kuni it's ducking beautiful great value for €10
    I'm so torn about buying this game. On the one hand I'm not a big RPG guy and I've plenty other games to keep me going. And on the other hand.....

It's definitely worth €10 only 5.7GB too the story is harrowing so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

xckjoo wrote: »
    I'm so torn about buying this game. On the one hand I'm not a big RPG guy and I've plenty other games to keep me going. And on the other hand.....

Same I have such a backlog at the moment, and its such a large time sink of a game

I preferred the first one - it was more of a challenge, was unique, and had a fun story. The sequel dials everything up a notch, and it still excellent, but it loses a bit of the indie vibe it had.

So, in conclusion, buy both of them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I preferred the first one - it was more of a challenge, was unique, and had a fun story. The sequel dials everything up a notch, and it still excellent, but it loses a bit of the indie vibe it had.

So, in conclusion, buy both of them :)

Must agree, really enjoyed these games - alot o fun and an easy pick up and play

It's definitely worth €10 only 5.7GB too the story is harrowing so far.

Where is it 10e? Coming up as 59.99e in the Irish store and most of the other countries I've checked are similar.

Where is it 10e? Coming up as 59.99e in the Irish store and most of the other countries I've checked are similar.

Went back up yesterday according to the price history here: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch

• Advertisement

Went back up yesterday according to the price history here: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch

Bah. I've it on my watch list now so if it goes down again, I'll get an email. I've pootling away on a few small games but I'd drop them in a second for something with a big story and the visuals of Ni No Kuni sealed the deal for me. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

Lumo reduced to €1.99 is a great buy!

**** sorry you missed it definitely seems to have been a very brief discount period too

**** sorry you missed it definitely seems to have been a very brief discount period too

I'll be faster next time :)

I'll be faster next time :)

I'd say it'll be one of those games that will go on sale often at that price now. Only a matter of waiting - Black Friday week is a potential sale period again for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Has anyone ever seen Mario Party reduced? The price of old Switch games is insane.

As said just there wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday Target in the US of A are doing a 3 for 2 on games here's hoping Argos Smyths GameStop or some online vendors do a similar offer here or even Amazon does their so many for €100 offer again.

Unless you need or must have games in the next 22 days wait it out black Friday is in 3 weeks and given stores here are doing click and collect we will see bargains.

As said just there wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday Target in the US of A are doing a 3 for 2 on games here's hoping Argos Smyths GameStop or some online vendors do a similar offer here or even Amazon does their so many for €100 offer again.

Unless you need or must have games in the next 22 days wait it out black Friday is in 3 weeks and given stores here are doing click and collect we will see bargains.

A few folks on here last year went in on Argos' 3 for 2 offers, split the savings between them. Saved a nice bit of money from what I heard.

The Lego forum did the same as well from what I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Lumo is €1.99 or €1.49 in South Africa.

It looks like good fun. :)

Decent price for Baldurs Gate

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&searchTerms=baldurs+gate&authToken=-1002%252CTb6zd56kFOpztp1WPmC9rktuDxQ%253D

Never played it and I have been waiting for a digital sale that has never come so picking this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

Decent offer in Argos for anyone getting a Switch for their kids for the big day-

Cars 3 can be added with certain games for €7.50. So, for example, Minecraft and Cars 3 together is €31.69 which is pretty good! Both can be sold to CEX too for around the same price if they run their course quickly.

Edit- Cars 3 can't be sold on as it's a code in a box.

Cars 3 is a code in a box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was looking at Switch Corner's latest sale video and there are lots of good looking games (that I never heard of) on sale at the moment. Some with really deep discounts (90%+)

Some that jump out for me and I'll probably grab (for about €20 total) are:

Lumo (already mentioned above)
    Urban Trial Tricky
    Simulacra
    Silence
    Airheart - Tales of Broken Wings
    Never Give Up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Mr E wrote: »
    I was looking at Switch Corner's latest sale video and there are lots of good looking games (that I never heard of) on sale at the moment. Some with really deep discounts (90%+)

Some that jump out for me and I'll probably grab (for about €20 total) are:

Lumo (already mentioned above)
    Urban Trial Tricky
    Simulacra
    Silence
    Airheart - Tales of Broken Wings
    Never Give Up

Got on to Switch Corner a couple of weeks ago. Have to say it's a great help sorting through all the games on Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

I see Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair is currently on offer.

Any advice on how enjoyable it is as a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I see Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair is currently on offer.

Any advice on how enjoyable it is as a game?

Very fun, a really good platformer.

The overworld stuff becomes a bit tiresome at times but the levels themselves are great (as are the level variants). The final lair which was genuinely rock hard was recently split to give checkpoints to make it more achievable.

It's a cracking game, I'd highly recommend it.

Very fun, a really good platformer.

The overworld stuff becomes a bit tiresome at times but the levels themselves are great (as are the level variants). The final lair which was genuinely rock hard was recently split to give checkpoints to make it more achievable.

It's a cracking game, I'd highly recommend it.

Agree.
    I think I need to go to a walkthrough for the later over world stuff.
    It had become tedious and I left it.

But the platforming is super smooth 60 FPS goodness.

Looks like Oddworld Strangers Wrath and Munch's Odyssey are getting a big discount they should both be €9.99 each by tomorrow on the eshop

Looks like Oddworld Strangers Wrath and Munch's Odyssey are getting a big discount they should both be €9.99 each by tomorrow on the eshop

Can buy Oddworld for the 4th time now and still haven’t played more than a couple hours.

• Advertisement

Abes Odyssey has only just been released on Switch so unfortunately that won't be reduced the other two for €9.99 each is great value Strangers Wrath looks interesting.

Advertisement