Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi"sticking"

Options
  • 12-09-2019 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭

I have a PC I connect ( via wifi) to the fibreoptic broadband router.

It has just come back from the computer repair shop where they had stuck down the processor and now there seems to be difficulty connecting to the Wi-Fi.

I get a lot of difficulty connecting to the WiFi and when I succeed I get the "No internet " message more often than not.

I have worked a "solution" by placing the router directly on top of the PC.

This works but if I move it away by as much as a foot I get disconnected.

Any clue as to what might be going on.

Separately, the signal icon shows only one or two bars but when I run a broadband test it is up to speed (can live with that but might it indicate anything?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Put a cable between them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Restart the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

I am out for the day now. (Will have rummage for a cable)

The router seems fine,though.My phone and my tablet have no problems running off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you physically checked the wifi card in the PC?

No, I would not feel confident doing that -although maybe if I researched it I might.

But I will contact the computer shop again probably if the problem continues

But today I am going to get some WiFi extenders (tp link I think they are called) which might shuffle the pack a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

amandstu wrote: »
    I have worked a "solution" by placing the router directly on top of the PC.

This works but if I move it away by as much as a foot I get disconnected.
    Extender will do jack here on WiFi front, but will get you LAN port (some models do). Other devices connecting and maintaining connection indicate no issue with router. You have to troubleshoot network card on PC or get wire connection
    It could be as simple as broken/faulty/disconnected antenna

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

They probably forgot to re-connect the wifi card antennas.

Extender will do jack here on WiFi front, but will get you LAN port (some models do). Other devices connecting and maintaining connection indicate no issue with router. You have to troubleshoot network card on PC or get wire connection
    It could be as simple as broken/faulty/disconnected antenna

Yes the direct cable connection from the extender worked like a miracle(about 4/5 times faster than I have ever had before -93mpbs)

Hardly any reason to fix the wifi at this rate.

Thanks for all the help.

:)

Advertisement