Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Fit Adventure

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

We'll know what it is on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Mr E wrote: »
    We'll know what it is on Thursday.
    I'm guessing it's a sex toy/game:pac:

I'm guessing it's not. :pac:

Wait for some creative indies though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Senran Kagura Ring-Rumble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The new 'experience' is Ring Fit Adventure. A fitness RPG basically. It looks an interesting premise and apparently the game is quite large from reading previews.

On the fitness side of it, the Joycon IR sensor can take your heart rate.

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1172117970035847168?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

• Advertisement

Classic Nintendo.... looks like fun actually.

Great read about a hands on experience.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/12/20860767/ring-fit-adventure-nintendo-switch-fitness-game-price-release-date

Sounds great. 2-3 months to finish the campaign if you play an hour a day. $79.99 in the US (I assume the equivalent here). Out mid October with ring and leg strap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mr E wrote: »
    Great read about a hands on experience.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/12/20860767/ring-fit-adventure-nintendo-switch-fitness-game-price-release-date

Sounds great. 2-3 months to finish the campaign if you play an hour a day. $79.99 in the US (I assume the equivalent here). Out mid October with ring and leg strap.

ShopTo have it up for pre order for £49.85.

https://www.shopto.net/en/swri34-ring-fit-adventure-includes-game-ring-con-and-p180797/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Well at least they dropped the "wii" branding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Well at least they dropped the "wii" branding :)

Someone at Nintendo really wants that era back. A bit like the labo its essentially a single use add on that to me seems a waste of money. I look at these things and think they look at Nintendo fans like this sometimes....

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

That ShopTo deal expired in the 5 minutes it took for me to look at the thread, watch enough of the video to be creeped out by how intensely that man wants to talk about hoops and then go back to pre-order and lock in the £50 price. It's £60 now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

oXGbL5.gif

"Wait and see how you feel during that last 5 seconds!"

These memes almost write themselves.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Someone at Nintendo really wants that era back. A bit like the labo its essentially a single use add on that to me seems a waste of money. I look at these things and think they look at Nintendo fans like this sometimes....

tenor.gif
    Now here me out while I sit here sipping my fifth beer of the evening.
    Although not for everyone, the Wii fit games and accessories are something me, and my family still use and play on the Wii U it's the only reason my other half hasn't made me remove the Wii U from the sitting room to the game purgatory that is my bedroom.
    I personally hoped they would do something like this and some kinda Wii sport because it genuinely is great family fun but they are being very careful to distance itself from the Mii style nunchuk shaking stuff that. The controllers are begging for it!
    Rather that see it as Nintendo cashing in see it as more options that will bring in a bigger audience and allow developers to make more games available on the console because they can't ignore it anymore.

sligeach wrote: »
    oXGbL5.gif

"Wait and see how you feel during that last 5 seconds!"

These memes almost write themselves.

Classic:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

"When you think of an adventure, you probably picture a world in peril and enemies to battle as you work towards a goal. That's the core of an adventure game."

"So how will you battle your enemies? Well you can't go on a quest without cool gear."

EETaHAWWkAUByya.jpg

giphy.gif

The Ring-Con accessory reminds me of an episode of South Park.
    source.gif

I don't know if Nintendo can recapture the Wii Fit market crowd again. I think that market is dead. It could be like Ubisoft with Starlink and the toys to life gimmick, that ship had long since sailed.

Big difference between plastic space ships and a peripheral that will get you off the couch and exercising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

sligeach wrote: »

I don't know if Nintendo can recapture the Wii Fit market crowd again. I think that market is dead. It could be like Ubisoft with Starlink and the toys to life gimmick, that ship had long since sailed.

I used use the Wii Fit back in the day, and am waiting for this to arrive on Monday. I see it as a bit of bonus exercise for days when I don't manage to get out for a walk/proper exercise. Fifteen minutes of doing something silly that gets my heart rate up will never be a bad thing. If the game aspect is enjoyable enough to keep me coming back, so much the better.

Yes, there are things I could do at home to achieve the same result without turning on a console, but if the choice is 15 minutes of untitled goose vs a little exercise, I might as well take the exercise.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Other consoles and developers had their own fitness games after Wii Fit proved the concept, but I don't know if they're still going.

I do know that I ended up making Wii Fit a part of my working day routine because, if nothing else, checking my weight every morning finally helped me join the dots between days when I ended up eating or drinking more than usual and the relevant change in body mass, which more than anything was a key factor in getting a handle on my diet and gradually improving my fitness. I mean, I could've been doing the same thing with a set of scales and a notepad, but the point is that Wii Fit made it feel less like a chore.

Not sure about Ring Fit Adventures, not least because the name makes me snigger. But I guess we'll see...

So did anyone buy it yet?

It has reviewed very well for what it is.

I got it today for €75 I'm Smyths.

It's actually very good. I'm sweating. I used it while drinking beer which probably wasn't the best idea. I just did the practice and the first 2 levels. It used the IR camera to get a pulse reading.

Whole family are exercising now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Yeah I picked it up on Friday, but only started it today. Did work up a sweat, but that might be due to my walrus like physique! After 2 intro worlds, the first boss fight and the first part of World 2, it says I racked up around 2km of movement and burned about 76kcal (though this is with the Silent mode where you bend your knees rather than jog on the spot, that might burn more).

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah I picked it up on Friday, but only started it today. Did work up a sweat, but that might be due to my walrus like physique! After 2 intro worlds, the first boss fight and the first part of World 2, it says I racked up around 2km of movement and burned about 76kcal (though this is with the Silent mode where you bend your knees rather than jog on the spot, that might burn more).
    I definitely worked up a sweat and so did my (healthy) daughter.
    We did a lot of the challenges and mini games though so maybe that's the reason. Challengers are great fun if you have others to compete with. My daughter watch a YouTube video of a personal trainer using it and he did a challenge and my score was better so I'm her hero now:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Presume it doesn’t need the online subscription for anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Presume it doesn’t need the online subscription for anything?

Cant see any mention of needing it on the box. But all the online is are leaderboards for the mini-games, and I doubt Nintendo has gotten so bad they charge to use that feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It turned up this morning and I just finished my first session. I do a lot of walking, but no strength training at the moment. It built up quite a sheen and left me at the "right" level of breathlessness. I'm not wringing with sweat, but will definitely need a shower before heading out later.

I only did about 10 minutes of actual exercise - the first few minutes were spent updating software, then updating the controllers, then a 5 minute intro video (where you learn the basics of the controls). I also did the warm up and cool down.

Was enjoying it so much I wanted to jump into the next "world", but I have adulting to do, so can't until tomorrow.

You can set alarms on it to remind you to exercise at certain times each day. I set one for tomorrow, so will see what that's like - not sure if it will trigger if you're not actually using the Switch at the time.

The first world has 3 sections. It incorporates jogging on the spot, knee lifts, squats, ab presses (which I don't think I'm doing right), some lying on the floor bringing your knees to your chest, and a variety of squeeze or pull the ring in various poses. For each battle you can select specific exercises, or select "random" (which is what I did).

When you're setting up your profile you give it your age and weight, let it know how much exercise you normally do, and what kind of intensity of exercise you want. You can change the intensity later, presumably you can change the weight as well if it starts shedding kilos for you.

Like Gunmonkey, I racked up nearly 2km (didn't get as far in the game as her though). I burned a few more calories as I wasn't using silent mode, but not many more. It's not going to burn off a burger, or even a bar of chocolate. At a push I might have "earned" a hard boiled egg. However it got my heart rate to a moderate level, which is my main aim. I'm recovering from an illness at the moment, so didn't push it too hard, but I could see it easily getting my heart rate high enough to count for HIIT once I'm better.

Who's ocelot and Liam? Yis are beating all my exercising scores but I'm coming for yous,!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

iamtony wrote: »
    Who's ocelot and Liam? Yis are beating all my exercising scores but I'm coming for yous,!

I might be Liam! Just saw we're friends on Switch so must be me - didn't realise you could see leaderboards! Gonna have to work harder now:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Sorry if asked before but does the game come on a cartridge or is it a download code?

Can see me being more likely to persist with it if was permanently on the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Sorry if asked before but does the game come on a cartridge or is it a download code?

Can see me being more likely to persist with it if was permanently on the machine.

Comes on a cart. Wish it was a download code myself, or at least have the option.

• Advertisement

pasta-solo wrote: »
    I might be Liam! Just saw we're friends on Switch so must be me - didn't realise you could see leaderboards! Gonna have to work harder now:pac:

Ha, your second on all the friends leaderboard. That ocelot is a beast:pac:

Advertisement