Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work experience

Options
  • 12-09-2019 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, apologies if this is in the wrong place. My son's finished and passed a business degree during the summer and is now looking for work but every job now seems to need "experience". He's a good honest lad who I'd believe will give 100% in any job he gets but this experience thing is a hurdle. Anyone any advice on what he could do to overcome this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

What sort of job is he looking for?? Retail, accountants, marketing......?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

1984baby wrote: »
    What sort of job is he looking for?? Retail, accountants, marketing......?

He was hoping to get into HR initially or possibly accounting,credit union or banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

All the offices seem to be crying out for staff in Kilkenny like Taxback etc. another 50 jobs announced yesterday.
    Is he looking in all the neighbouring towns and counties as well?

road_high wrote: »
    All the offices seem to be crying out for staff in Kilkenny like Taxback etc. another 50 jobs announced yesterday.
    Is he looking in all the neighbouring towns and counties as well?

Taxback etc are all looking for the (missing) experience. He is only looking In KK at the moment as he isn't driving yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

Comerman wrote: »
    ... My son's finished and passed a business degree during the summer..

Most colleges have a careers office that regularly get contacted by companies with vacancies. He needs to get back in contact with that office.
    He was hoping to get into HR initially or possibly accounting...

Without any post grad qualifications or professional exams in these areas he's looking at entry level jobs and restricting himself to Kilkenny isnt helping his career.
    .. He is only looking In KK at the moment as he isn't driving yet.

He needs to decide if he wants a career and if yes, he needs to be prepared to move or spend hours on public transport. Otherwise he might be restricting his immediate and future.

• Advertisement

Most colleges have a careers office that regularly get contacted by companies with vacancies. He needs to get back in contact with that office.

Without any post grad qualifications or professional exams in these areas he's looking at entry level jobs and restricting himself to Kilkenny isnt helping his career.

He needs to decide if he wants a career and if yes, he needs to be prepared to move or spend hours on public transport. Otherwise he might be restricting his immediate and future.
    Thanks for your reply he's now in the process of contacting the college careers office and he knows he's going have to be prepared to start at entry level and further himself from there. On the driving thing it's really case of (severe nerves) that's holding him back. I'm not just saying it (maybe I am) but he's a great lad who's never been in or given any trouble who is intelligent and has an excellent head for figures BUT shyness and confidence seem to get the better of him plus the all important "experience"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

He might have to consider moving or commuting to Dublin. Especially to get a start. That’s how it is- unlikely to walk into a job locally without experience or very good connections. I’ve moved around lots career wise, I couldn’t imagine being just based in Kilkenny.
    Probably good idea to get his license sorted as it’ll open up more opps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

has an excellent head for figures BUT shyness and confidence seem to get the better of him

That's something that won't come across well at interviews. Maybe some career coaching is what he needs.
    The only "numbers" jobs i see where people thrive being that introverted is actuary. Jobs in AP processing can work out too but not sure if that's a good job to be in these days given the amount of offshoring and automation.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

I find the key with this is to get your foot in the door.Be prepared to start at the very bottom.

Have a good work ethic.Be a model employee.Be likeable to everyone.
    You will be noticed.

I saw a guy rise from cleaning the shop floor to management doing this.

He was a qualified architect(no experience) and couldn't get a start.Someone mentioned it to a foreman one day and he slowly worked his way up.
    Not as an architect but similar.

stratowide wrote: »
    I find the key with this is to get your foot in the door.Be prepared to start at the very bottom.

Have a good work ethic.Be a model employee.Be likeable to everyone.
    You will be noticed.

I saw a guy rise from cleaning the shop floor to management doing this.

He was a qualified architect(no experience) and couldn't get a start.Someone mentioned it to a foreman one day and he slowly worked his way up.
    Not as an architect but similar.

This is it, I believe anyone can be anything they want as long as they are prepared to start low and work hard (I did without any qualifications) but I had no problem being forward/cheeky when looking for jobs but his (shy) way of looking at it is "you shouldn't do that"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pat k

Hi folks, apologies if this is in the wrong place. My son's finished and passed a business degree during the summer and is now looking for work but every job now seems to need "experience". He's a good honest lad who I'd believe will give 100% in any job he gets but this experience thing is a hurdle. Anyone any advice on what he could do to overcome this??

Try Lyrath they would be glad to give work experience in either H.R or Accounts P.m me if you wish and Il put a Word in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Temp & entry level in the Civil Service, but they're looking for candidates in Kilkenny & he can be applying for other positions while in employment.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Has he tried graduate programmes offered by AIB, Aldi etc

As said above he will probably need to look further than Kilkenny

pinktoe wrote: »
    Has he tried graduate programmes offered by AIB, Aldi etc

As said above he will probably need to look further than Kilkenny

He's looking into the aldi one and there's one coming up in Glanbia soon too

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MondayBlues

Has he actually applied for the jobs that list experience necessary?

Has he actually applied for the jobs that list experience necessary?

Yes, he's applied for everything from kitchen porter to graduate accountant

Advertisement