Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC for home recording/music production

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Really ?

And yes there is definitely only one system fan connector on the board. The other is for the CPU cooler which i've connected up already.

I think we have crossed wires, (pun intended), the connector in blue is commonly known as a molex connector. Your fans should have female fan connectors (which also may be manufactured by Molex!!). Just plug the blue molex into your PSU and you should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I think we have crossed wires, (pun intended), the connector in blue is commonly known as a molex connector. Your fans should have female fan connectors (which also may be manufactured by Molex!!). Just plug the blue molex into your PSU and you should be good to go.

Yup suspected that. I use the term "molex" in the same capacity as vacuum cleaner is to hoover. :D
    I'll go ahead with that so. Thanks

Nearly there. Unfortunately i don't have a LAN connection in the room where this PC is going but I have a Ubiquiti AP in the next room.
    Can you folks recommend a good quality wifi usb adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nearly there. Unfortunately i don't have a LAN connection in the room where this PC is going but I have a Ubiquiti AP in the next room.
    Can you folks recommend a good quality wifi usb adapter?

Instead of USB, I'd recommend a PCI card.
    PCWorld/Curry's have a cheap one: https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/wireless-adapters/tp-link-tl-wn881nd-wireless-pcie-card-10119361-pdt.html

IMHO a PowerLine kit is better though:
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10143560-pdt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Power line adapters can work really well depending on your house, the wiring and distance from the router. They worked great in one apartment I was in but terrible in another, slightly older, flat.

When they work well you'll get like a consistent 1-2ms to the gateway. When bad, it can be really up and down, spikes of 30-40ms etc.

In that case I'd say a good quality wifi setup is better.

• Advertisement

The power line adapters won't work with my setup so I'll go with one of those pci cards.

Bit of a problem. I've ordered a PCI express card but it's not going to fit because of the heat sink on the graphics card is covering the pci express slot

[IMG][/img]jieXDGA.jpg

[IMG][/img]Hin6Pzz.png

Haven't seen it mentioned so far in the thread yet:

Check out the Lenovo ThinkPad and IdeaPad range of PCs which come with the "Dolby Stereo HOME THEATER" logo in the front of them. The software driver will be pre installed with the OS.

These machines can record in Dolby Stereo too.

You could try the GPU in the lower slot albeit it would then run at x4 PCIe. (may not be an issue with your usage, I'd imagine its plenty of bandwidth for a 1030). Worth a shot?

• Advertisement

M00lers wrote: »
    You could try the GPU in the lower slot albeit it would then run at x4 PCIe. (may not be an issue with your usage, I'd imagine its plenty of bandwidth for a 1030). Worth a shot?
    Unfortunately the heatsink is too big to allow for that.

Thats unfortunate. Not much you can do then so. Unless you run a pci extender and/or mod something but thats seems like a lot of work just for WIFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Bit of a problem. I've ordered a PCI express card but it's not going to fit because of the heat sink on the graphics card is covering the pci express slot
    You can put that WiFi card into the bottom X4 slot.

Sure it'll only connect to a small portion of the whole connector, but you can run an X1, X4 or X8 card in the bigger size PCIe connectors just fine, no need to move the GPU.

z0oT wrote: »

Sure it'll only connect to a small portion of the whole connector, but you can run an X1, X4 or X8 card in the bigger size PCIe connectors just fine, no need to move the GPU.

Good spot, I thought the x4 slot was the one being covered!!

z0oT wrote: »

Happy days

Advertisement