Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling EIR....

• 12-09-2019 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Any tips on how to do this? I am cancelling my TV package with them....I know you have to ring them - anything else I should be aware of??? I have no doubt this won’t be easy to complete so just looking for any pitfalls to avoid??!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭kooga

Any tips on how to do this? I am cancelling my TV package with them....I know you have to ring them - anything else I should be aware of??? I have no doubt this won’t be easy to complete so just looking for any pitfalls to avoid??!

it will be very straightforward just make sure when the envelope comes out to return the evison box that you dont forget!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

kooga wrote: »
    it will be very straightforward just make sure when the envelope comes out to return the evison box that you dont forget!

Make sure you get proof of postage as well. I sent back a modem and they said they didnt get it, tried to charge me €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

kooga wrote: »

Cool! Will they like send that out at end of 30 days and expect it back straight away? Sorry to be pain - I just don’t want to miss anything with them - I am just well aware companies like this will try catch you anyway they can!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

moved to cable

• Registered Users Posts: 38 w0bbles

Thanks for the thread.
    We are with EIR at present and our contract is up soon, I have heard they (eir) make it difficult to cancel and will charge you up until they actually receive their hardware back. Is this true? and yes I have also been advised use to register post as they (eir) frequently say they have not received their hardware, how true this I don't know but it makes me think about these big companies.

In our opinion the service provided by EIR is substandard compared to others.
    The box sometimes wont record,
    It only records part of some programs (your missing the last 10 mins of a movie)
    When you choose to record a series, we have found episodes missing, (in this case the tv or EIR box are lucky to survive the onslaught) :(
    The box frequently crashes

We started with SKY a long time ago, we have moved to various others over the years always going back to SKY in between and are now going back to SKY again for what we hope is the final time after lots of false promises from these other providers that piggy back off SKY.

The downfall we found with SKY over the years is: in order to get a good deal when your contract is up is, you have to leave and rejoin as a new customer. You would think by now SKY are well aware of this and would do something to keep loyal customers, but no!!

We did get advice from above on what to do in the future to get the best deal from SKY, It's so simple if I could reach my azz Id kick myself up the street.
    Start new contract and get the best deal possible, use the wife's details (Bank),,, when the contract is up, cancel it and take out a new contract in my name using my bank details. In the past we tried doing this to no avail but the problem we had was were using the same bank details under both names.
    So to summarize:
    Get the new contract using your personal details, (name, direct debit, ect)
    When the contract is nearly up cancel and then take out a new contract using either your spouses or another family members details,
    as long as the direct debit details are different it's fine. This way you get the best deal from your provider all the time.
    Using the same address is no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

w0bbles wrote: »
    Thanks for the thread.
    I have heard they (eir) make it difficult to cancel and will charge you up until they actually receive their hardware back. Is this true?

Whether that is true or not is open to debate between former Eircom customers. I would advise you though to record the call if possible. This is perfectly legal btw (see numerous Legal Discussion threads and Maurice McCabe story.

After 30 days notice, Eircom should send you a final bill. It'll normally be a bit higher than your monthly plan to cover partial service provided to you. Instead of €50, it'd be €64 for example

Do not default on any bill you owe* over €50 as it'll be recorded against you on the Experian Credit Insights database after 90 days. If there's a dispute about moneys owed, complain immediately to Eircom and Comreg.
    have also been advised use to register post as they (eir) frequently say they have not received their hardware, how true this I don't know but it makes me think about these big companies.

If it's returned via An Post, don't waste your money on costly registered postage. An Post will provide a signed and stamped certificate of postage which is sufficient proof of returning the equipment. They have also used couriers in the past too e.g Nightline (part of UPS) so you'll most likely have a tracking number

Be sure to cancel your Direct Debit after the final bill is cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 4 luca.petricca

Hi All

I want to share my frustration for what I am currently experiencing in trying to terminate my contract with eir.
    I started on 6th August filling up the cancellation form with more than 30 days of notice (my contract end date was 09 Sep) and I received the automated e-mail stating that the form was successfully submitted.
    From there, nothing happened for 10 days, when I sent an e-mail on 17 Aug asking the status. They replied asking for the best time to call me, and I immediately replied on the same day. They replied on 18 Aug as follows "I can confirm this has been validated for outbound a member of our team will be contact soon", but nobody did it.
    I sent another e-mail on 28th Aug asking again the status and they said "A member of our team has tried calling the mobile attached to process form. an agent will be in contact soon to process", but it was not true because I haven't received any call, and the number reported on the form was correct (I also reported it again in my e-mail replies to them, just to be sure). I contacted them again on 7th September, because the contract end was approaching (Sep 9th), but since then I haven't received any other reply from them. During all this time I reached out to them in different ways, by call centre (always busy), by Facebook Messenger Chat (they replied 1-2 times and then they ignored me).
    Amost 1 week ago I was desperate, so I went to the eir shop asking to check the status of my contract, and they said "the contract ended on 9th September", so I was happy and I moved ahead with the equipment return, that I did through parcel motel, and I though it was ended there.....I was wrong: 2 days ago I received a notification that my new bill was issued. So I called back immediately the call centre the same day; this time they took my call and replied that they attempted to call me several times...and again I told them that I haven't received any call, so they replied that they would have tried again in the next 24-48 hours. They haven't yet called me back. THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING and I HAVE NEVER HAD AN EXPERIENCE SO BAD LIKE THIS ONE WITH EIR. I have all the e-mail thread and the history of the chats on Messenger proofing all that I stated here.

I am now at 3rd October and I don't know what else to do do stop this nightmare.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
    Luca

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don’t drag up old threads

Additionally, no part of your post indicates that it is TV that you wish to discuss. If it is an eir service other than tv or just eir generically there are more appropriate forums to do so in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement