Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GD baby and CSections

Options
  • 12-09-2019 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all, I’m due my 3rd baby in February and have Gestational diabetes. I had it in my first pregnancy and was induced at 39 weeks. Fairly straightforward delivery without any complications. Baby had to go to the NICU until her blood sugars stabilised which fortunately only took about 11 hours and then she was back in my room with me. They encouraged me to spend as much time as possible with her in the NICU to maintain skin-to-skin and establish breastfeeding.

My next pregnancy I was lucky enough to escape GD but his birth was extremely traumatic after 2 failed inductions, artificial membrane rupture, syntocinan drip, hyper-contracting resulting in foetal distress and a very panicked dash to theatre for an emergency section. Recovery was tough and I ended up with PND and PTSD.

So my next delivery will be by planned section, they’re not even attempting to convince me to try VBAC. Only problem in my mind is because of the GD, this baby will most likely end up in the NICU too but obviously if I’m flat out because of the section I won’t be able to stay with the baby in the NICU, which means I won’t be able to do skin-to-skin and get breastfeeding established.

Has anyone else had experience of a c section and a baby in the NICU and how did you manage breastfeeding and skin-to-skin?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have not quite had the experience you have but I've had bits of it.

I think on a planned section you are not totally knocked out.So you can do skin to skin and that I believe.It's emergency one where they put you under totally and take time to come round that the problem is?Open to correction but that's my understanding.

My first was in NICU from about 24 hours after she was born for a day or two.My milk hadn't quite come in, so it wasn't such a problem I suppose, but I was separated from her the night my milk came in and I had to pump.Hospital gave me a good pump and they stored the milk.

Also my third baby was born last year and was 10lb 6oz.There was no GD and his size was not picked up before he came out, so he was a natural birth.His blood sugars weren't good but they left him with me, there was no mention of him being taken to NICU.I had to bottlefeed every three hours on the button and then could breast feed if he wanted it.They did a heel prick 30 mins after each feed to check him.Once he maintained his levels for 24 hours I could move to BF on demand and they stopped checking.What hospital are you in that they take the baby??Maybe that is policy??And have you asked your doctor about what the plan is in the event of low blood sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I would highly recommend expressing colostrum antenatally. It can be done from 37 weeks. I had insulin dependent GD, baby failed sugars, got them back up using colostrum top ups. She never needed to go to the NICU and never needed formula. I did have a natural birth but this would be even more helpful for you I’d say as you’re having a section!

Contact the hospital lactation consultant and they should give you the info and equipment to store your colostrum. Look up the Stanford health videos, they have great info!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I had GD on my two, first went to hdu due to low oxygen levels. The second stayed with me but fed formula every 3 hrs. Both natural births. So the baby may not end up in hdu... Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EllieB

Thanks for your replies ladies. I’m in Sligo where it is policy that GD babies go to NICU until blood sugars stabilise.

I’m definitely going to express and freeze colostrum and hopefully baby won’t be away from me for too long!

I’m insulin dependent so I guess it’s understandable that baby’s BG might be low at first. I suppose my fear is that the separation, plus baby being fed by syringe will interrupt the establishment of breastfeeding. Also because my last baby was an EMCS we didn’t get to do skin to skin (my husband did it instead) which I was devastated to miss out on. Hopefully this time because it’s a planned section that won’t be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

We had a preemie at 34+5. He was in NICU for two weeks. Breastfeeding wasn't an option for us. They can quibble about giving milk bank breast milk to babies who aren't teeny but they're supposed to up to 35 weeks so you can insist. We were there as much as possible and did skin to skin a bit but he was experiencing episodes of hypoxia so more often we'd just hold his hand. The staff weren't brilliant with facilitating it tbh.

My wife did need a c-section. She was pretty wiped out for weeks from it and couldn't do stuff like lifting him. Definitely best if the father can be at home for first 6 weeks or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I had a baby in NICU for three weeks after a planned section. Not related to GD. I had a epidural so was awake for the section but had to stay laying flat for the rest of the day. The nicu gave me a photo of my baby so I could encourage milk to come in. I visited the nicu next day in a wheelchair and could hold my baby then. He was tube fed so I expressed milk for the first two weeks until he was large enough to breastfeed (you won’t need to do that if your baby is a certain weight, for me it was around 5lb). I continued to breastfeed exclusively for four months. Where there’s a will there’s a way so think positive and you will be able to breastfeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

EllieB wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies ladies. I’m in Sligo where it is policy that GD babies go to NICU until blood sugars stabilise.

I’m definitely going to express and freeze colostrum and hopefully baby won’t be away from me for too long!

I’m insulin dependent so I guess it’s understandable that baby’s BG might be low at first. I suppose my fear is that the separation, plus baby being fed by syringe will interrupt the establishment of breastfeeding. Also because my last baby was an EMCS we didn’t get to do skin to skin (my husband did it instead) which I was devastated to miss out on. Hopefully this time because it’s a planned section that won’t be an issue.

Best of luck with everything .The Coombe leave the babies of Type1 diabetics( insulin dependent ) with the mothers and do 3 hourly blood sugars on the baby . If they have three good blood sugars in a row they do them 6 hourly and then if stable they are good to go .It seems a real shame that Sligo feel the need to send them to NICU . The baby is not always low if fed soon after birth and fed 2-3 hourly for 24 hours .

Also if its a planned section they use a spinal block and not an epidural . Spinal block is faster acting and also wears off much quicker . So you can do skin to skin straightway and you will have use of your legs a lot quicker too .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It must be just different policies for different hospitals driving that so OP, because the Rotunda have the same policy as the Coombe.It may just be numbers also, I would imagine there is a greater number of more serious cases in the NICUs in the Coombe and the Rotunda so there is simply not enough room to take babies with blood sugar issues too.

I'd edit to say, I would still ask them now can they do it differently, or what your options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

EllieB wrote: »

That’s ridiculous! Never heard of that in any other hospitals. Seems completely unnecessary for most babies. My daughter just failed her first sugars and they were back up after a colostrum top up and a feed. Would have hated for her to go to the NICU when it clearly wasn’t needed. I was in CUMH.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Infinite Fart

Hi Ellieb

I'm just a few weeks out of Sligo hospital. Can't comment on GD but will tell you my experience there after emergency c section, baby in NICU and breastfeeding. Had the baby and didn't get the skin to skin contact at all. He was then sent off to NICU with an infection so I only saw him briefly. I felt so unwell after c section anyway so wouldn't have been able to feed him that easily. In saying that, it didn't affect breastfeeding at all. After I was able to get up, the nurses got me a wheelchair and I was able to see him in the NICU. He was formula fed when I wasn't there and they would ring me when he was due a feed so I could feed him if I was able to. They were so lovely and helpful. I gradually built up the breastfeeds over the first few days which worked out really well as I had some time to recover. I ended up having a really relaxed approach to it and didn't mind whether it worked out or not. It was amazing when I got him back-felt like we had a special little bond after everything we'd been through and I was so grateful that we'd both made it through safe and sound. Spent the whole night cuddling him and feeding him. Still feeding away 9 weeks later so delighted everything worked out now. I found this time the care in the hospital was second to none. All of the staff were brilliant and so supportive. Best of luck with everything!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EllieB

Thanks for the feedback The Infinite Fart, I also found the staff in Sligo really good. It’s reassuring to hear that breastfed can work out if I am unable to be with baby 24/7 at the start.
    Hi Ellieb

I'm just a few weeks out of Sligo hospital. Can't comment on GD but will tell you my experience there after emergency c section, baby in NICU and breastfeeding. Had the baby and didn't get the skin to skin contact at all. He was then sent off to NICU with an infection so I only saw him briefly. I felt so unwell after c section anyway so wouldn't have been able to feed him that easily. In saying that, it didn't affect breastfeeding at all. After I was able to get up, the nurses got me a wheelchair and I was able to see him in the NICU. He was formula fed when I wasn't there and they would ring me when he was due a feed so I could feed him if I was able to. They were so lovely and helpful. I gradually built up the breastfeeds over the first few days which worked out really well as I had some time to recover. I ended up having a really relaxed approach to it and didn't mind whether it worked out or not. It was amazing when I got him back-felt like we had a special little bond after everything we'd been through and I was so grateful that we'd both made it through safe and sound. Spent the whole night cuddling him and feeding him. Still feeding away 9 weeks later so delighted everything worked out now. I found this time the care in the hospital was second to none. All of the staff were brilliant and so supportive. Best of luck with everything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I had GD but not insulin dependent. My induction failed so I ended up having an emergency section. Mine was a spinal block, they only knock you out if that fails or there are other serious issues. I didnt do skin to skin immediately but as soon as I was in recovery about 15mins later I was able to do it then, I breastfed for just over 2yrs so no issues there. My lo was jaundice and was monitored for that, but his blood sugars were monitored too while he was with me and he was fine, so don't see why a baby would need to be sent straight to NICU? Maybe discuss this with a consultant at your next appointment? C-sections are hard, I had very little help but managed mostly on my own so it is doable but does wipe you out a good bit!! If men had to have babies and go through what we do we'd be extinct!!:P :D

Advertisement