Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Site manager hours / salary Dublin query

• 12-09-2019 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Evening gentlemen

I have a query regarding what is the typical site manager hours and salary for a main contractor in Dublin.

I signed a contract as salaried 65000 per year as a 0800 to 1730 role. No mention that work starts on site at 0700 in the interview or contractor

I find myself mainly doing days 0700 to 1800 or 1900 and just feel used.

Bringing it to the project managers attention,the replies I get are “what did I expect its construction, it’s not a 0800 to 1730 role, “ etc

To be honest, I wouldnt have joined if I knew hours would be 0700 to 1800 or more most days.

I am very experienced after moving back from London, and there is no one else onsite that can do my role,

Is a 65000 salary fair for these hours as a site manager in Dublin and is these hours typical in Dublin for a site manager?

Many thanks for your advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Pretty common for salary roles to not be "stamp the card" regarding timesheet.
    I'm not in the same field at all (I'm in credit risk) but would be in same salary band, some days I'd be in for 10-12 hours other days I'd be in at 10am and/or leave at 1-2pm and check emails once or twice at home.

If you want a 9-5 job you need something hourly paid imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Thanks Elm, I left london which was paid weekly, and it is something I now regret

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It was never going to be an 8 to 5.30 role.
    Plenty in that industry doing 7am to 9pm when called for.
    Yes it seems crazy to your typical office worker to be working free hours but that is the industry standard.
    I did it for 3 years then went to work for myself as it was a thankless job.
    Depending on the size of the job etc, 65k is probably low to average.
    Your options are to leave or get it set up to suit you where you can then reliably delegate for the lats finishes or have someone who can do alot of your report writing etc for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If it's the industry standard to work overtime without overtime pay, all the employers need to get sued into bankruptcy.
    They're breaking the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

Fairly standard stuff in my view while there is daylight. During my site days, over 20 years ago, there was always a kind of an unwritten rule about the trade off between summer and winter hours.
    Salary seems about right from what I know, still have plenty of friends in the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement