Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Mobile Wi-Fi Router

• 13-09-2019 6:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a cheap unlocked Mobile Wi-Fi Router that will take a Three SIM. Just needed for a few weeks so I don't want anything too expensive. In city location so signal shouldn't be a problem. I already have a Vodafone mobile wifi dongle but think it's probably locked to that network. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Logo wrote: »
    I'm looking for a cheap unlocked Mobile Wi-Fi Router that will take a Three SIM. Just needed for a few weeks so I don't want anything too expensive. In city location so signal shouldn't be a problem. I already have a Vodafone mobile wifi dongle but think it's probably locked to that network. Thanks

Following this thread. I put a 3 sim in a vodafone dongle a few weeks back and it didn't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

What model is the Vodafone dongle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you have an old spare phone you might be able to use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Logo

niallb wrote: »
    What model is the Vodafone dongle?

I have two. One is Vodafone USB Modem Stick K3770, the other is Vodafone Mobile Wifi R206.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Have you tried a non VF SIM in either of the modems to see if they're definitely locked.

Try eBay for an unlock code, message seller first before committing

One of the eBay sellers (there are others too)...

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Unlock-Code-Huawei-B593-B593s-22-B593s-12-B593u-12-E5373s-Vodafone-B3000-E5786Bs-/332525319463?nav=SEARCH

• Advertisement

Forget about the USB stick - it's very old.
    Even if you can unlock the R206 I don't think it will support 4G.
    An old phone will work just as well for you if you have one around that'll take the SIM.
    If you have one set up Wifi Hotspot on it and see how good the signal is.
    How many devices will you need to run off this for the few weeks?

Depending on what you mean by 'too expensive' you might take a look on adverts.ie .
    There are several around the country for between €35 an €50 .
    If you'll have access to power there's a plug in Huawei B315 which is an excellent device.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Logo

niallb wrote: »
    How many devices will you need to run off this for the few weeks?
    It will only be used on one (max two) devises.
    I would appreciate if anyone can just name a few routers that will take a Three SIM (e.g. Huawei B315) - or do all unlocked routers take SIMS?

Would this work..
    Huawei E5331 3G Mobile Broadband
    Techincal Details:
    Download up to 21 Mbps
    HSDPA and HSUPA Support
    HSDPA/UMTS 2100MHz
    Micro SD Card Slot
    Thanks

The Huawei E5331 would be grand, but be aware that it's 3G only and won't give you any 4G coverage.
    It'll be slower than a newer model, but that needn't rule it out if it's cheap!

The Huawei E5377 is a similar one with 4G abilities.
    The more bands you cover the more likely you are to get signal whereever you need it.
    I was down near Sheeps Head last week and even though my phone said it had a few bars of 3G there was no usable internet connection.
    Once I got up towards Durrus and saw 1 bar of 4G the connection was there. That was on Eir. My wife on Vodafone had a much better experience.

Before you go buying anything though, have you taken a Three phone to the area you'll want to use the dongle?
    Do Three have a strong signal on the phone there?
    Do you already have the Three SIM you want to use?
    Vodafone tend to have the best coverage once you move outside the bigger cities no matter what the ads say.

Advertisement