Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumped car last week.

Options
  • 13-09-2019 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I need advice, last week I bumped a car in front of me. The other cars quote is coming in at nearly 3k. The garage have asked me do i want to go thru insurance or not? So I have been driving 20 years no claims and the policy says I am fully protected no claims bonus. I dont have 3k anywhere but i suppose I could borrow it as Im afraid if I make a claim my premium will be too expensive next year. Does anyone have any experience in this, all advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

First, are you sure the other guy (or one of his passengers - real or imagined) isn't going to put in a claim for whiplash? Because if you pay that 3K to repair his car, he can still lodge a personal injury claim against you. In which case the 3K will be money down the tubes because your insurance will not reimburse you for money you hand over privately.

If you have NCD protection then for 3K, it should make sense to let your insurance deal with it. It all depends on how genuine the NCD 'protection' is. For example, they can double your premium next year, then apply your theoretical NCD and say that you have the same discount as you got this year. So you could still end up paying more next year and you won't be able to get quotes from other insurers for a few years while you wait for that claim to age off your record. So it's difficult to give you a definitive answer but for 3K, you'd be in the ballpark for an insurance settlement when you have 20 years clean record and this is the first claim in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Speak to your insurance company. I believe some insurance companies will fund the repair & and allow you to refund them prior to next renewal of the policy thereby not affecting your NCB/premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

I had a crash 7 or so years ago. Insured with axa and had full ncp. Premiums weren't much more expensive for the next 3 years, maybe 500 to 700€. Only problem was I had to stay with axa.

Now with 123.ie. out of curosity got an online quote with a full NCB and a crash. Way cheaper than a crash and no ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ali N wrote: »
    So I need advice, last week I bumped a car in front of me. The other cars quote is coming in at nearly 3k. The garage have asked me do i want to go thru insurance or not? So I have been driving 20 years no claims and the policy says I am fully protected no claims bonus. I dont have 3k anywhere but i suppose I could borrow it as Im afraid if I make a claim my premium will be too expensive next year. Does anyone have any experience in this, all advice welcome.

A €3k claim is what insurance is for. It's the <€1k ones where you have to weigh the risks of paying cash

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ali N

Thanks for the advice .Going to go thru my insurance and see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Ali N wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice .Going to go thru my insurance and see what happens

Good man - that is the right way to do it for your own protection.

For general information it might be worth repeating the conventional wisdom ;

1. Always report an accident to your motor insurers.

2. You are obliged under your insurance contract to report an accident.

3. You are probably obliged to report it to the insurers under the RTA 1961 S.71
    Link http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/71/enacted/en/html#sec71

4. The duty of disclosure revives every year at renewal time.
    Renew a motor policy without disclosing an accident in the year preceding renewal date and you have probably made a misrepresentation that renders your policy voidable at the option of the insurers. That, in turn, creates a whole world of additional trouble if dealing with other insurers in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement