Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Zorya wrote: »
    Recently I have been charged with sifting CVs for work in Ireland that is not on the critical list but that has limited available skilled people. I have read CVs from fantastic people from all over the world that would blow your hair back - tremendously qualified people, and experienced, and enthusiastic. Kurdish people. Egyptians. Autralians. South Africans. Middle Eastern people. People from the Ukraine. I've been told to whittle out the non EEA people however because of the crazy hoops re Immigration and Work permits. And yet a boyo with nothing in particular to offer from Albania or Nigeria can rock in and claim ''asylum'' - asylum from what? - no bother. Makes no sense.

Christ that's seriously fcuked up.
    So if you're a computer genius or a great medical person, don't apply to work in Ireland. Just enter illegally and claim asylum. Definitely something wrong some where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Rte should contact this Joe Garrihy, sounds like just the person that they like to interview.

Anything to Aoibhin/Doireann? I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he is. They are from Doolin which is 10 mins from Lisdoonvarna and they do have an uncle Joe. If so then he would be the perfect interviewee for RTE.:rolleyes:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/garrihy-sisters-on-board-to-launch-star-of-doolin-ferry-to-aran-islands-847082.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Anything to Aoibhin/Doireann? I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he is - same part of Clare and all. If so then he would be the perfect interviewee for RTE.:rolleyes:

The late late show next. God help us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Surely all these foreigners working in say your local Centra or supermarket would have been done by young Irish before?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Recently I have been charged with sifting CVs for work in Ireland that is not on the critical list but that has limited available skilled people. I have read CVs from fantastic people from all over the world that would blow your hair back - tremendously qualified people, and experienced, and enthusiastic. Kurdish people. Egyptians. Autralians. South Africans. Middle Eastern people. People from the Ukraine. I've been told to whittle out the non EEA people however because of the crazy hoops re Immigration and Work permits. And yet a boyo with nothing in particular to offer from Albania or Nigeria can rock in and claim ''asylum'' - asylum from what? - no bother. Makes no sense.

Ireland under international law is still required to allow people apply for asylum and hear their case.

You don't need to come from a war torn country to be eligible to seek asylum. There are countries where homosexuality and adultery leads to death penalty.

In Nigeria currently men are being jailed without trail if suspected of being gay https://www.amnestyusa.org/happening-now-lgbt-nigerians-jailed-after-passage-of-new-anti-gay-law/

• Advertisement

Government:
    "We'd like to introduce 250 new people to your small town in the wesht of Ireland"

Locals:"Great! Mary will have a few more clients for the local shop, Paddy will sell a few more pints in his pub and Deirdre can finally rent out her back bedroom"

Government: "Actually, they'll all be in a provision centre so Deirdre won't rent anything out. They don't drink so Paddy will get nothing from them, and they'll get about 2 euros pocket money a day, so Mary won't be earning much extra from them. They will however pack the school to bursting, you can expect longer queues at the doctors surgery and as happens with a large number of people living in desperation, burglary and petty crime might rise."

Locals: Yeah thats fine with us as well. <-- surprisingly that wasn't their real response.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've a friend that you would call an immigrant and he got priced out of his job by an irish kid

sasta le wrote: »
    Surely all these foreigners working in say your local Centra or supermarket would have been done by young Irish before?

"Surely all these foreigners....." a ha ha ha ha ...

I see that in England essential workers (farmhands) have stopped coming from EU member states in Eastern Europe. Frightened away by the anti immigration brigade. So the government has made special rules to allow them to be replaced by Russians and Ukranians. Essentially giving them the same freedom of movement as exists for EU workers. You couldn't make it up.

It's interesting, but most of those jobs are disappearing year on year. The documentaries on how food gets from the ground to your plate are amazing when they show just how few people are now involved in the process.

Whatever else Ireland does, whether we accept refugees or not, we really need to consider the future when unskilled work ceases to exist.

I take it by your name you are a solicitor, you must have seen the rise in automation even in areas like law in the last few decades. Even skilled work is shrinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

sasta le wrote: »

No no no no no no no no..

No!

We couldn't pluck a spud or clean a table until someone else arrived from sumatra to teach us how to build and run a country and society. That's why they left in the first place.

It has nothing to do with wage suppression and the creation of a tiered, mega-profitable underclass. Nothing. I can't stress this enough people, seriously. Please rally behind my profits totally sensible and logical pyramid scheme humanitarian ideals and suppress challenge any dissenting opinion through your gullibility kind heartedness. Keep those social media accounts blazing, it is a really valuable smoke screen conversation worth having. And most of all, thanks for doing it for free. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Of the nationalities mentioned, Ive met and worked with lots of Syrians both good and bad-in my eyes that is. They are different than us in some ways but mostly similar. I feel sympathy for them having to leave their home country. A lot of the language used is intemperate and crude. Im surprised that a moderator didnt react to the poster who mentioned burning the hotel. He didnt say it should be burned but was 'getting there'.
    It is challenging to reading posters commenting and/or presuming that these refugees/migrants/immigrants are coming to abuse the system/acting illegally. Read about 'the Paddys' who abused the National Insurance and labour systems in Britain and the illegal Irish in the USA and think again. They were our brothers, sisters, aunts uncles or countrymen.
    The DoJ dont help with their secretive approach and choosing small towns for large centres.

It gives the lie to the contention that the country is full. It could increase by another million over the next couple of decades. More people means more economic activity. If there were only a hundred people living here, the economy would be much smaller.

Can you tease this out a bit more? There's plenty of very poor places with high populations.

Population alone doesn't mean economic activity, ime, if it did people wouldn't have had to emigrate in the first place. If we were to even to take in an Irish context, there is a reason the population of country has internally moved from rural areas to urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Ireland under international law is still required to allow people apply for asylum and hear their case.

You don't need to come from a war torn country to be eligible to seek asylum. There are countries where homosexuality and adultery leads to death penalty.

In Nigeria currently men are being jailed without trail if suspected of being gay https://www.amnestyusa.org/happening-now-lgbt-nigerians-jailed-after-passage-of-new-anti-gay-law/

We don't have a border with Nigeria. Nigerian immigrants who "appear " in Ireland have arrived in Ireland from a European country where gay people are not persecuted. They are not entitled to apply for asylum. When they arrive the conversation should go as follows

Nigerian. I am claiming asylum.

Ireland. How did you get here.

Nigerian. I have no passport and I will not say how I got here.

Ireland . Ok fcuk off so. Bye.

No 5 years in the system and then 3 kids born here so they have the bleeding heart brigade out protesting the imminent deportation of Kwame Izbekiyahoos parents.

PMBC wrote: »
    Of the nationalities mentioned, Ive met and worked with lots of Syrians both good and bad-in my eyes that is. They are different than us in some ways but mostly similar. I feel sympathy for them having to leave their home country. A lot of the language used is intemperate and crude. Im surprised that a moderator didnt react to the poster who mentioned burning the hotel. He didnt say it should be burned but was 'getting there'.
    It is challenging to reading posters commenting and/or presuming that these refugees/migrants/immigrants are coming to abuse the system/acting illegally. Read about 'the Paddys' who abused the National Insurance and labour systems in Britain and the illegal Irish in the USA and think again. They were our brothers, sisters, aunts uncles or countrymen.
    The DoJ dont help with their secretive approach and choosing small towns for large centres.

Presenting some irish people as those abusing another country's accommodation is a poor argument. It basically states "those immigrants are a negative, so it's necessary to accept other immigrants as a negative". Bad excuse.

I think a fundamental flaw at the heart of all this is the idea of acceptable responsibility. Syrians, in one example, have what connection to Ireland? We share practically nothing in common beyond being humans.

Ireland has nothing to do with the Syrian war, we aren't remotely close geographically, we don't share religion or culture or history etc. The situation and attitude would be entirely different if it were the UK, or France and so on.

If the situation were flipped and Ireland was devastated by war, how many Irish people would be seeking asylum in Indonesia or China or the middle east?

So why Ireland? And the obvious element of wealth comes up. Not from our side, "we can afford it", but rather the other side,, "there's lots to get".

It's fundamentally absurd, and nice or not, you're not going to convince people to accept responsibility at cost for those which have no reasonable excuse for expecting it.

Basic humanity, sure. But it has a surprisingly short reach and shelf life. Arguing about it is like disagreeing with gravity, you have to work with it, and no amount of "that's not good enough" will change it.

PMBC wrote: »

I genuinely haven't met anyone against helping refugees, and most people I know are in favour of limited and controlled immigration. I don't know anyone who favours open borders, which appears to be a driving narrative of our time.

I don't know anyone who thinks dumping people miles from cities (and facilities) is a good idea. It's almost as if the DoJ are trying to make them so miserable they'll leave...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The majority of those who would welcome all and sundry into the country will never live anywhere near them of course.

The back story is how they get here in the first place. Probably trafficked who knows?

The bigger issue is why these people are not tracked by our own security/immigration on arrival. Every airline has to have proof of identity before boarding an aircraft, most often a passport. Track it back surely?

Or maybe they just hop on the ferry and there are few if any checks. This probably.

Anyway, the scam artists are not welcome in my view. Genuine asylum seekers are ok, but they still should decamp at the first port of entry. We are being hoodwinked.

I have no issue with UN selected refugees from Syria or other war torn places under an agreement. That is a noble thing to do. My issue is with those who rock up from anywhere and claim asylum. I am sure I am not alone in this thinking, and the bleeding hearts can take a hike.

The Asylum system is making a mint for a select few all the same. I think an FOI request to INIS or whoever is in order. Just refilling my fountain pen right now to send it off!

I genuinely haven't met anyone against helping refugees, and most people I know are in favour of limited and controlled immigration. I don't know anyone who favours open borders, which appears to be a driving narrative of our time.

I don't know anyone who thinks dumping people miles from cities (and facilities) is a good idea. It's almost as if the DoJ are trying to make them so miserable they'll leave...

immigration and refugees are two different things

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Can you tease this out a bit more? There's plenty of very poor places with high populations.

Population alone doesn't mean economic activity, ime, if it did people wouldn't have had to emigrate in the first place. If we were to even to take in an Irish context, there is a reason the population of country has internally moved from rural areas to urban areas.

More people means more economic activity. No society has ever devised a system which shares wealth equally, so there are rich and poor everywhere. But in general this country with the extra two million inhabitants is better off than 60 or 30 years ago.

More people means more economic activity. No society has ever devised a system which shares wealth equally, so there are rich and poor everywhere. But in general this country with the extra two million inhabitants is better off than 60 or 30 years ago.

So the average American should be approximately 100 times better off than the average irish person because theres more of them?

Average salary in Ireland is 30 odd grand, average salary in united states is 300 odd grand?

What about Luxembourg? Or India? Maybe consider China?

That's a load of arse, man :P

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

One went into Roscrea recently at the Dunkerrin Arms.

Nobody in the town was consulted beforehand.

What's the point of putting them in small hick towns?

It would be better served to put them in areas of Dublin 4. They would then have better prospect of securing jobs and benefiting our economy.

Too expensive to put a centre in Dublin 4 plus the cost of living there is also very high compared to down the country. Easier to assimilate them into smaller communities too.

• Advertisement

Isn't it strange how it's all "racist shítholes" they've chosen for these DP centres so far? They haven't landed on one liberal utopia yet, strange that.

beejee wrote: »
    So the average American should be approximately 100 times better off than the average irish person because theres more of them?

Average salary in Ireland is 30 odd grand, average salary in united states is 300 odd grand?

What about Luxembourg? Or India? Maybe consider China?

That's a load of arse, man :P

I avoided saying average, I said in general. And I pointed out that no society divides it's wealth so that everyone gets the exact average.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

No it isn't. Recessions crippled Ireland before and will do again, regardless of population. It depends on how the country is managed.

I avoided saying average, I said in general. And I pointed out that no society divides it's wealth so that everyone gets the exact average.

What good is "economic activity" to anyone if its just produces "more" that's divided between "more" people???

Sure by that same reasoning, why don't we increase the world population 10 fold, then we'll all have ten times as much "everything", right???

Gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Big turn out today.

Working class fight back.

beejee wrote: »
    What good is "economic activity" to anyone if its just produces "more" that's divided between "more" people???

Sure by that same reasoning, why don't we increase the world population 10 fold, then we'll all have ten times as much "everything", right???

Gas!

If the population of the USA had been restricted to 1,000 Europeans and no other outsiders since colonisation, do you think they would have come up with space travel, or even air travel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

If the population of the USA had been restricted to 1,000 Europeans and no other outsiders since colonisation, do you think they would have come up with space travel, or even air travel?

Think they imported Nazis for some of that ;)

Think they imported Nazis for some of that ;)

They had some good policies to reduce the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

They had some good policies to reduce the population.

Oh okay, I've got you now. Takes me a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Even Waterford Whispers, the extremely unfunny Irish rip off of The Onion, are getting in on the act of calling anyone that criticises this madness a racist.

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/08/07/live/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement