Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Isn't it strange how it's all "racist shítholes" they've chosen for these DP centres so far? They haven't landed on one liberal utopia yet, strange that.

The activists always have to drive from their suburbs to put the straighteners on the lumpen proles.

They'll talk about the worker's revolution to Work ing Class people, while living lives benefiting from neoliberalism.

Then dump the problem on to them and talk about solidarity.

Lot of this is the class divide between much of the left and self described progressive movements and much of society below them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I reckon the French, Germans, Australians, Americans and English would love to send the "ethnic" Irish who cause untold problems back to us.

Maybe the hotel in oughterard can be used as a caravan site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

If the population of the USA had been restricted to 1,000 Europeans and no other outsiders since colonisation, do you think they would have come up with space travel, or even air travel?

Farcical.

How did the british build a world wide empire with so few people, tiny little island that it is?

How did Germany conquer so much of Europe without the numbers? What about the countless inventions and innovations?

And so on! Without putting much thought into it, I would imagine that it is quite the contrary to what you are stating, namely that smaller, more efficient populations throughout history have constantly risen to the top.

Back to reality though, this idea that "more people equals good" is ridiculous. Not only is it ridiculous, its backward and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

Danzy wrote: »
    The activists always have to drive from their suburbs to put the straighteners on the lumpen proles.

They'll talk about the worker's revolution to Work ing Class people, while living lives benefiting from neoliberalism.

Then dump the problem on to them and talk about solidarity.

Lot of this is the class divide between much of the left and self described progressive movements and much of society below them.

Self described progressive movements?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

biko wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is against qualified immigration, e.g. doctors, engineers, nurses etc.

We are a nation of unqualified immigrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Darc19 wrote: »
    I reckon the French, Germans, Australians, Americans and English would love to send the "ethnic" Irish who cause untold problems back to us.

Maybe the hotel in oughterard can be used as a caravan site?

Why is there a big problem in these countries with ethnic Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

beejee wrote: »
    Farcical.

How did the british build a world wide empire with so few people, tiny little island that it is?

How did Germany conquer so much of Europe without the numbers? What about the countless inventions and innovations?

And so on! Without putting much thought into it, I would imagine that it is quite the contrary to what you are stating, namely that smaller, more efficient populations throughout history have constantly risen to the top.

Back to reality though, this idea that "more people equals good" is ridiculous. Not only is it ridiculous, its backward and dangerous.

I was just exploring the concept of "fewer people equals good". Would you prefer Ireland to have 3 million, instead of 5 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

I was just exploring the concept of "fewer people equals good". Would you prefer Ireland to have 3 million, instead of 5 million?

You're trolling. Buy a calculator and an economics book.

Why don't you ask the people sitting on trolleys in hospital hallways?

Maybe see what people think of the housing situation?

For all the extra people arriving into the country, its not like those things are getting better now, is it? You'll find that its the opposite.

Etc.

Yes, we would be better off, easily, with many hundreds of thousands people less, if not even more of a reduction. No question at all.

More people means more economic activity. No society has ever devised a system which shares wealth equally, so there are rich and poor everywhere. But in general this country with the extra two million inhabitants is better off than 60 or 30 years ago.

Not if my PRSI is paying for the extra two million, leaving no money in the pot for me should I need Social Insurance.

I once found myself out of work and went to the dole office to sign on. I was the only white person there and after waiting for about 40 minutes to be seen, I said to myself, "Denartha, you really don't belong here" so I left.

About 5 years ago my ex-girlfriend tried to sign on having paid PRSI here for over a decade and was told she had no ties to this country and to feck off back home. Its ok to do that because shes a white European.

• Advertisement

Not if my PRSI is paying for the extra two million, leaving no money in the pot for me should I need Social Insurance.

I once found myself out of work and went to the dole office to sign on. I was the only white person there and after waiting for about 40 minutes to be seen, I said to myself, "Denartha, you really don't belong here" so I left.

About 5 years ago my ex-girlfriend tried to sign on having paid PRSI here for over a decade and was told she had no ties to this country and to feck off back home. Its ok to do that because shes a white European.

Enjoy the free market race to the bottom, beloved of by corporates and the modern Left, who are often their kids or employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Why don't you ask the people sitting on trolleys in hospital hallways?

Maybe see what people think of the housing situation?

For all the extra people arriving into the country, its not like those things are getting better now, is it? You'll find that its the opposite.

Etc.

Yes, we would be better off, easily, with many hundreds of thousands people less, if not even more of a reduction. No question at all.

In January every year the whole month is devoted to trolley numbers, on radio, TV and in the papers. The numbers could just be as bad today, but nothing in the media about it.

This annual exercise feeds a hysteria, which grips people. My own experience, and that of family members using the health service, has been positive. I can't speak for anyone else, but if I was on a trolley, I would question why the media are ignoring me today, when they choose to highlight it so much every January.

In January every year the whole month is devoted to trolley numbers, on radio, TV and in the papers. The numbers could just be as bad today, but nothing in the media about it.

This annual exercise feeds a hysteria, which grips people. My own experience, and that of family members using the health service, has been positive. I can't speak for anyone else, but if I was on a trolley, I would question why the media are ignoring me today, when they choose to highlight it so much every January.

And whats that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Fianna Gail have cut back the entitlements Of the taxpayer year on year since gettin in power while increasing the extra payments for the long term and other means assessed people who have contributed nothing to society ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

3 million easy...
    We're pumping sewage into the sea ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Who is going to start the pushback on this?

Get away with yourselves, it is verboten to question how our taxes are used regarding bogus asylum entrants/economic migrants. That's for sure.

But some people are making money out of this, and it isn't just the traffickers, look closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Who is going to start the pushback on this?

Get away with yourselves, it is verboten to question how our taxes are used regarding bogus asylum entrants/economic migrants. That's for sure.

But some people are making money out of this, and it isn't just the traffickers, look closer to home.

I've actually never heard any discussion about the root of the issue of people ending up in the sea off Libya...

More people means more economic activity. No society has ever devised a system which shares wealth equally, so there are rich and poor everywhere. But in general this country with the extra two million inhabitants is better off than 60 or 30 years ago.

But this island with 8 million had a famine. We can trade nonsense statements about the past all day.

It's trite nonsense to say more people leads to more economic activity. It has to be the right sort of economic activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CelticSeaShip

The refugee crisis has been going on for years now. Since 2015. That's 4 years. When is it going to stop? In 5/10/15 years? There's nothing right about taking all these people in indefinitely. I know there's war there in their country of Syria. What's wrong with fighting for their country? Sorting out what's wrong? Overthrowing their government? What good is running away going to do? How is that going to fix things there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

But this island with 8 million had a famine. We can trade nonsense statements about the past all day.

It's trite nonsense to say more people leads to more economic activity. It has to be the right sort of economic activity.

Well we don’t have to go that far into it... I’d say a good percentage of the people currently residing in Oughterard are unemployed as no jobs there... so why send afew hundred more to a place in the middle of nowhere with few jobs and ****e roads to the nearest city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

LillySV wrote: »
    Fianna Gail have cut back the entitlements Of the taxpayer year on year since gettin in power while increasing the extra payments for the long term and other means assessed people who have contributed nothing to society ...

Long term dole rate was €203 in 2009, it's €203 right now.

FG are a right wing neoliberal party. They aren't in the business of rewarding the bottom 90%...

There is a million more people living in the country now compared to 2002 and identical unemployment rate.

Well we don’t have to go that far into it... I’d say a good percentage of the people currently residing in Oughterard are unemployed as no jobs there... so why send afew hundred more to a place in the middle of nowhere with few jobs and ****e roads to the nearest city

It's a fair question, according to dx, the very presence of the unemployed people in Oughterard should make the place wealthier as they would still generate some economic activity. Were that the case the west of Ireland wouldn't have been broke since time began. You need a specific set of circumstances to have a successful economy (strong rule of law, strong tax system, good education system, things, ironically, the English tended to leave behind them when they left a colony).

A place with...
    1) best facilities
    2) great income
    3) great employment opportunities and connections
    4) locals who love the idea of immigration
    5) spacious homes
    6) excellent transport
    7) proximity to the best educational institutions

Sounds like dalkey/blackrock/foxrock/southside are ideal!

I just don't understand how a small village could be a better choice if they want what's best for the asylum seekers. The people behind this couldn't be full of horseshyt, surely not!

Real head-scratcher!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

The refugee crisis has been going on for years now. Since 2015. That's 4 years. When is it going to stop? In 5/10/15 years? There's nothing right about taking all these people in indefinitely. I know there's war there in their country of Syria. What's wrong with fighting for their country? Sorting out what's wrong? Overthrowing their government? What good is running away going to do? How is that going to fix things there?

"What good is running away going to do?"

Can you please educate yourself about the situation in Syria before posting comments on here. Millions of people have left Syria because they have nothing - their families are dead or missing, their businesses are destroyed, their houses bombed. They are not here to screw the system or turn us all muslim, they are here because they have no choice.

Also, the refugee crisis is about far more than just Syrians - there are lots of places in the world where your life is in danger just be being there.

Isn't it strange how it's all "racist shítholes" they've chosen for these DP centres so far? They haven't landed on one liberal utopia yet, strange that.

There are 34 direct provision locations all over the country, in all kinds of cities and towns, liberal and not.

The reason that you don't hear anything about them is that there are minimal problems caused by the residents of these centres - they go about their daily lives, don't bother the locals, and certainly don't destroy the fabric of society, which is what some people - and Noel Grealish - are claiming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Long term dole rate was €203 in 2009, it's €203 right now.
    Which is still nearly triple the UK's rate, and most likely far higher than much of the EU for JSA type of welfare.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    There is a million more people living in the country now compared to 2002 and identical unemployment rate.
    Which is largely meaningless, there is 164.7m stuffed in Bangladesh, most twiddling their thumbs or scraping a living day by day.

Bear in mind a hard brexit (caused by migration) will kiss goodbye to 100,000jobs, then there's the CT Rate party - which won't last forever. Not to mention automation on the way after that to wipe out most of the unskilled migrant type roles.

Rte should contact this Joe Garrihy, sounds like just the person that they like to interview. Benefit for rural areas suffering depopulation ,don't make me laugh, WHY are these areas suffering depopulation , I think we all know why. What are these people going to do in these depopulated rural areas.

Are you saying that he is lying? I know it is inconvenient for your argument, but just cause you desperately want there to be problems caused by asylum seekers, it doesn't make it true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fisgon wrote: »
    Are you saying that he is lying? I know it is inconvenient for your argument, but just cause you desperately want there to be problems caused by asylum seekers, it doesn't make it true.
    And just because you desperately want there to be no problems associated with multiculturalism, one could aim the same accusation at you.

And as far all these DP centres doing so well, like your earlier example of Lisdoonvarna?
    Ah yes, Lisdoonvarna. Is this the same Lisdoonvarna where the locals overwhelmingly voted against the move of such numbers? The same Lisdoonvarna where said locals were given assurances by the authorities and the owner of the hotel that their wishes would be respected? The same Lisdoonvarna where the locals wishes were utterly ignored? Never mind that the hotel owner received 1.24 million euro for his trouble. The same Marcus White who was charged and convicted for employing fourteen non native migrant workers without work permits. That Lisdoonvarna?

So yeah, pardon me if I am wary of believing a damned thing to come out of the mouth of a FG councillor shilling his party line of bullsh1te.

Irish politicians and financially interested parties being economical with the truth when dealing with locals? Hmmm.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

A place with...
    1) best facilities
    2) great income
    3) great employment opportunities and connections
    4) locals who love the idea of immigration
    5) spacious homes
    6) excellent transport
    7) proximity to the best educational institutions

Sounds like dalkey/blackrock/foxrock/southside are ideal!

I just don't understand how a small village could be a better choice if they want what's best for the asylum seekers. The people behind this couldn't be full of horseshyt, surely not!

Real head-scratcher!!

The backlash from anti racism activists would be stark, the backlash from their parents even harsher.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    And just because you desperately want there to be no problems associated with multiculturalism, one could aim the same accusation at you.

And as far all these DP centres doing so well, like you're earlier example of Lisdoonvarna?

I see no examples here of problems caused by asylum seekers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement