Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

alastair wrote: »
    There’s loads of DPC’s in Dublin.

There's only 2! There's 6 in Kerry which has 1/10th the population.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/five-direct-provision-centres-oversubscribed-with-others-almost-full-1.3717684
    The Clondalkin Towers Hotel was also set to close but the contract to run the centre was recently extended to next summer. Once this closes there will be only two direct provision centre in the capital, one in Dublin 2 and another in Finglas.

And in fact there might even be only 1 in Dublin as Hatch Hall has now closed.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-direct-provision-centre-to-close-by-mid-july-4688200-Jun2019/

Dublin is not pulling its weight and the problem is being shifted elsewhere, particularly to counties like Meath and Cork.

http://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/reception-conditions/housing/types-accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I'd say there's an element of fear there. A mono cultural village with its own strong identity for years getting landed with 250 people of a very different cultural background.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

There's really no defending what's been done to the people of Oughterard, bringing in 250 people who may or may not be valid asylum seekers, and in all likelihood, 90% are not.

They are all valid asylum seekers. Regardless of whether they achieve asylum. And 30% of applicants achieve protection, not 10%.

There's only 2! There's 6 in Kerry which has 1/10th the population.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/five-direct-provision-centres-oversubscribed-with-others-almost-full-1.3717684

And in fact there might even be only 1 in Dublin as Hatch Hall has now closed.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-direct-provision-centre-to-close-by-mid-july-4688200-Jun2019/

Dublin is not pulling its weight and the problem is being shifted elsewhere, particularly to counties like Meath and Cork.

http://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/reception-conditions/housing/types-accommodation

There’s a dose of temporary provision in various hotels etc, aside from Baleskin reception centre and clondalkin towers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

There’s a dose of temporary provision in various hotels etc, aside from Baleskin reception centre and clondalkin towers.

That is completely different to hundreds of asylum seekers lumped together in Direct Provision Centres.

So in answer to your earlier point, there aren't loads of DPCs in Dublin. From what I can gather, there is only 1.

• Advertisement

That is completely different to hundreds of asylum seekers lumped together in Direct Provision Centres.

So in answer to your earlier point, there aren't loads of DPCs in Dublin. From what I can gather, there is only 1.

It’s hundreds of people in direct provision in Dublin - which is the issue under discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Granadino wrote: »
    I'd say there's an element of fear there. A mono cultural village with its own strong identity for years getting landed with 250 people of a very different cultural background.

Even 250 people from Dublin would be a disaster for that town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

In short irish people are racist. Its ok somewhere else and the irish will talk with glowing paddy wackary superlatives about looking out for our fellow man. But alas it means nothing without action. How many times have we seen this over the last decade. .. ok were not against these people ... BUT..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wibbling wonder

Mono cultural - what are you basing that assumption on. I live in Oughterard and there are many different cultures here. Maybe not as multi-cultural as the big cities but for a small rural community in the west of Ireland we aren't doing too badly.

I’ve heard they run out and fire their arrows at any planes that fly overhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Mono cultural - what are you basing that assumption on. I live in Oughterard and there are many different cultures here. Maybe not as multi-cultural as the big cities but for a small rural community in the west of Ireland we aren't doing too badly.

Its easier just to brand you all as racists than understand that the government is being underhanded in how they are dealing with it.

Its quite inspired by the government, they pretty much know how to play it off so they come up smelling of roses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Maybe reopen spike island and use it as a detention centre for those who entered the country illegally. Im sure they could fit at least 1000 people down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Calhoun wrote: »
    Its easier just to brand you all as racists than understand that the government is being underhanded in how they are dealing with it.

Its quite inspired by the government, they pretty much know how to play it off so they come up smelling of roses.

Government are the people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Sure half the place must be English. Oughterard sure is no stranger to tourists from all over the world that have been holidaymakers there for decades. Definitely not mono culture back there

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In short irish people are racist. Its ok somewhere else and the irish will talk with glowing paddy wackary superlatives about looking out for our fellow man. But alas it means nothing without action. How many times have we seen this over the last decade. .. ok were not against these people ... BUT..

Irelsnd is only few countries in Europe never to have had a right wing Lot in Government.

But yes we are all secret Fascists.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Irish people are not racist in general. If you hate your country that is your right, however keep the rest of us out of this self hatred.

jackboy wrote: »
    Irish people are not racist in general. If you hate your country that is your right, however keep the rest of us out of this self hatred.

Yeah the level of hatred and ridicule directed by some at their fellow Irish people for opposing direct provision centres in their towns is quite shocking.

People are waking up now and its about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

Where do you live? If you dont mind me asking?

I'd prefer not to name it, but there's a direct provision centre in my hometown and another just a few miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Achebe wrote: »
    I'd prefer not to name it, but there's a direct provision centre in my hometown and another just a few miles away.

Do you own it?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

Danzy wrote: »
    Do you own it?

No. I'm a man of no property myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No. I'm a man of no property myself.

Lonely furrow to plow in the modern Left. I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Last I noticed Albania was in neither Africa nor the Middle East - which was what the poster referred to. So spare the red herring. Plenty of asylum seekers have their claim rejected, but they’re also not getting free gaffs given to them and all the other guff your ‘not racist’ pal was spouting. They get stuck in DP for the duration and a princely €21 a week for necessities. Any credible ‘spongers’ would make their way to one of the states with more generous welfare provision and better opportunities to work while seeking asylum.

The red herring! Jesus wept, talk about living in a bubble, they are the highest number applying nowadays :
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/number-of-new-asylum-seekers-up-26-911311.html&ved=2ahUKEwiLwMG66dXkAhUlShUIHfDpBHIQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3_WIZ_FUGgdJZAo7EkyV2u&ampcf=1
    Rejected, appeal, appeal, leave to remain, free gaff n welfare. They have taken over the cocaine trade in the uk n eyeing up ireland.
    Its e39 by the way n short term penance before they hit the jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well that's fair enough. Cant argue with that.

enricoh wrote: »
    The red herring! Jesus wept, talk about living in a bubble, they are the highest number applying nowadays :
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/number-of-new-asylum-seekers-up-26-911311.html&ved=2ahUKEwiLwMG66dXkAhUlShUIHfDpBHIQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3_WIZ_FUGgdJZAo7EkyV2u&ampcf=1
    Rejected, appeal, appeal, leave to remain, free gaff n welfare. They have taken over the cocaine trade in the uk n eyeing up ireland.
    Its e39 by the way n short term penance before they hit the jackpot.

39e is a fair amount to live on when your accomdation food and all utilities is paid for you. I know fellas dont have that left out of their wages when all their bills are paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

WB Yokes wrote: »
    39e is a fair amount to live on when your accomdation food and all utilities is paid for you. I know fellas dont have that left out of their wages when all their bills are paid.

Especially when you don’t have to go anywhere by transport and are in rural ireland where the cost of living is lower and likely don’t drink either, ypu’d have enough to feed yourself well enough every day, a few people pool resources to share a giant bag of rice and some spices etc... and you could have 3 good meals a day for under 25 a week

Especially when you don’t have to go anywhere by transport and are in rural ireland where the cost of living is lower and likely don’t drink either, ypu’d have enough to feed yourself well enough every day, a few people pool resources to share a giant bag of rice and some spices etc... and you could have 3 good meals a day for under 25 a week

They get fed in these centres. They literally have nothing to spend that money on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Yeah the level of hatred and ridicule directed by some at their fellow Irish people for opposing direct provision centres in their towns is quite shocking.

People are waking up now and its about time.

After a weekend on a bag of yokes. They May be still a bit bamboozled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

They are right to protest , it's a stupidly large increase in population with no consultation.

I am sure it would be similar if it was a housing estate. Especially one where the majority would be unemployed and uproot as soon as they could.

Maybe reopen spike island and use it as a detention centre for those who entered the country illegally. Im sure they could fit at least 1000 people down there.

Nobody entered the country illegally. They’re all asylum seekers.

• Advertisement

They get fed in these centres. They literally have nothing to spend that money on.

It’s a well-known fact that the only outgoings in life are food and shelter. Clothes, hygiene, transport etc are all free for everyone. ��

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement