Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fully agree. I would prioritise countries like Syria. We should help them.

We do. The majority of refugees we take in are from Syria.
    Most of the rest though are chancers, chancing their arm for economic gain. Sad thing is people like Boggles would encourage even more of these chancers to come. If he could build a DPC in every town in Ireland he probably would. Except of course where he's from, which he hasn't told us.

Wow, I didn't realize you were that familiar with me. It's kind of creepy TBH.

But at the end of the day it doesn't matter a fúck what I think or you think.

We are legally obliged to accept and process asylum seekers. You do understand that right, I didn't make that up nor is it my opinion? You can play the edgelord with madcap ideas all day on the internet, but you are just whistling dixie.

Personally I would like that there was no such thing, but hey that's the world we live in.

I have zero problem with DP, far better system than just sending them on there way to fend for themselves like they do in other countries.

It's the length of time they spend there which is an absolute scandal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Boggles wrote: »

We are legally obliged to accept and process asylum seekers. You do understand that right, I didn't make that up nor is it my opinion? You can play the edgelord with madcap ideas all day on the internet, but you are just whistling dixie.

Personally I would like that there was no such thing, but hey that's the world we live in.

I have zero problem with DP, far better system than just sending them on there way to fend for themselves like they do in other countries.

Process them at holding pens at Dublin airport and near our ports. Problem solved. Apart from Syrians, most of the rest are chancers. There is no war in Albania for example. If someone claims asylum from Albania, they should be brought immediately to the airport and deported, with no appeal. In Austrailia, they don't even let them into the country because they have a low tolerance for lying bogus asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd say Grealish will be a shoo in at the next election by standing up for his constituents, I wonder how that PBP f*ckwit Joe Loughnane will do?:D

It's all very disturbing how things are going in this country, on one hand we're getting 1,000s of Sponges coming in and on the other hand we have a (Brain Drain) 1,000s of qualified people are getting out of this shiet hole.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/brain-drain-reversed-as-ireland-sees-highest-immigration-since-2008-1.3610709?mode=amp

It's also annoying the liberal D4 media that he is just ignoring them and has no interest in answering their stupid questions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

It's also annoying the liberal D4 media that he is just ignoring them and has no interest in answering their stupid questions.

Yeah hes hiding according to them. Maybe hes just not bothered addressing them. Best thing he can do is what hes doing at the moment. Ignore them. Stay quiet.

Drive them even more mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No we don't, they can f*** off back to their own country and live there, and that goes for anyone looking to immigrate to Ireland

Ireland is no condition from a, financial, housing, or healthcare prospective.

Ireland cant be the worlds lifeboat when we cant even take care of our homegrown homeless

I see TV3 did a section on this last night.
    Of course you had the main parties fg, labour and ff on it towing the line.
    Collins was on and he was a bit half hearted.
    And then you had the perennial business media wantabee Norah Casey.

According to yokes like Casey it shouldn't be an us or them.
    We should look after our own and it seems half of Africa or Asia.

Not one of them were willing to call a spade a spade.
    There are hundreds of millions who want to get to Europe, North America and Australia.
    Anywhere bar the shyteholes that most of them live in.

Not once has any of the supporters of this mass migrancy ever said how many is too much.
    All we ever hear in return is they are fleeing war, violence, poverty, hatred, etc.

Shut the borders now.

There is nothing wrong with taking in people who offer something and are filling a skills shortage.
    That is a legitimate immigrant and we need them.

Hell I have worked and even lived with enough people from round the world, be they South American, North American, European, African or Asian.
    They had come here legally and were contributing.
    Granted not that gone on the ones from Oceania. :D

Most of the ones hitching rides on boats will never contribute anything bar the birth registry.
    The mantra about contributing to our future European pensions is farcical in the extreme seeing how we are going to be losing millions from the labour force due to automation and globalisation.

And before the usual muppetry refrain about others taking us in, those above criteria (legal entry, skills, labour) were what we usually fulfilled down through the centuries.

Yes we did have illegals in US over last number of decades and being honest I think the US has a right to kick them out even if they were contributing and behaving themselves.

I am not allowed discuss …

Process them at holding pens at Dublin airport and near our ports. Problem solved. Apart from Syrians, most of the rest are chancers. There is no war in Albania for example. If someone claims asylum from Albania, they should be brought immediately to the airport and deported, with no appeal. In Austrailia, they don't even let them into the country because they have a low tolerance for lying bogus asylum seekers.

Albanians are routinely refused asylum and never get out of the airport, they are considered a "safe country" and are treated differently.

Also holding pens for years? Not a great look TBF and not one Ireland should associated with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Fully agree. I would prioritise countries like Syria. We should help them.

Most of the rest though are chancers, chancing their arm for economic gain. Sad thing is people like Boggles would encourage even more of these chancers to come. If he could build a DPC in every town in Ireland he probably would. Except of course where he's from, which he hasn't told us.

100%. I'd have no issue taking in people from UN camps in Syria or other war torn countries. People who are genuine. But we should be pulling up the drawbridge and doing it loudly and publicly so that these scammers know they'll get short shrift from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

jmayo wrote: »

There are hundreds of millions who want to get to Europe, North America and Australia.

Not once has any of the supporters of this mass migrancy ever said how many is too much.
    All we ever hear in return is they are fleeing war, violence, poverty, hatred, etc.

Shut the borders now.

There is nothing wrong with taking in people who offer something and are filling a skills shortage.

Hell I have worked and even lived with enough people from round the world, be they South American, North American, European, African or Asian.

Most of the ones hitching rides on boats will never contribute anything bar the birth registry.
    The mantra about contributing to our future European pensions is farcical in the extreme seeing how we are going to be losing millions from the labour force due to automation and globalisation.

And before the usual muppetry refrain about others taking us in, those above criteria (legal entry, skills, labour) were what we usually fulfilled down through the centuries.

Yes we did have illegals in US over last number of decades and being honest I think the US has a right to kick them out even if they were contributing and behaving themselves.

You seem to confuse asylum seekers with economic migrants.

• Advertisement

Albanians are routinely refused asylum and never get out of the airport, they are considered a "safe country" and are treated differently.

Also holding pens for years? Not a great look TBF and not one Ireland should associated with.

The DPCs are essentially holding pens.

The long and the short is any proposed centre for Oughterard is just not suitable and out of proportion to the town.

Bullshyte!!

In July 2017, the European Court of Justice upheld the Dublin Regulation, declaring that it still stands despite the high influx of 2015, giving EU member states the right to deport migrants to the first country of entry to the EU.

100%. I'd have no issue taking in people from UN camps in Syria or other war torn countries. People who are genuine. But we should be pulling up the drawbridge and doing it loudly and publicly so that these scammers know they'll get short shrift from Ireland.

It’s called an asylum claim assessment. We do that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Why would anyone believe an anonymous new reg on the internet that has just sprung up out of nowhere? Also balanced? good man yeah. :rolleyes:

She claims her family have nothing to with the hotel and even if she did there is zero excuse for Muldoon justice terrorizing some family with kids.

I have to say if you are from the area you are painting a very bleak picture of at least some of the residents, yourself included.

What's Muldoon justice?

alastair wrote: »
    You seem to confuse asylum seekers with economic migrants.

In many cases they are one and the same.

Many economic migrants come here from certain countries claiming persecution when in reality nothing happened and they are looking to make a new life in a richer country.

It’s called an asylum claim assessment. We do that already.

Why are we bothering.

In July 2017, the European Court of Justice upheld the Dublin Regulation, declaring that it still stands despite the high influx of 2015, giving EU member states the right to deport migrants to the first country of entry to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Bullocks wrote: »
    In the article I read it said he was still paying the debt back and had paid the employees redundancy out of his own pocket when the company had no money left .
    You asked me for links yesterday for a story but quote bits of stories yourself with no links , just snippets to spin a story whatever way you like . I wouldn't be taking much of the bollix you post at face value

Sure practice what you preach their lad, post up the article where he says he has paid back or is paying back the 540k debt?
    I posted up two links to articles yesterday regarding the asylum seekers in the area a couple of years ago when you questioned my post which you then totally ignored because they didn't suit your agenda so I will hardly waste further time trying to link his financial dealings that have nothing to do with his stance on the Oughterard DP centre . You're posts are pure bollix on the matter lad

The DPCs are essentially holding pens.

They are not ideal, but they ain't cages like you proposed.
    The long and the short is any proposed centre for Oughterard is just not suitable and out of proportion to the town.

How do you know it's not suitable? Have you seen an independent feasibility study?

Doctors, hospitals, schools all manageble distances with very decent transport network. 14 buses a day into the City as one User point out.

What is the criteria for suitability?

:confused:

Bullshyte!!

Not so. If they have been processed in another EU state then that might apply, but simple entry is not sufficient. We are legally obliged to process asylum seekers.

I posted up two links to articles yesterday regarding the asylum seekers in the area a couple of years ago when you questioned my post which you then totally ignored because they didn't suit your agenda

I didn't ignore, I simply didn't see it.

Link them up there please.
    so I will hardly waste further time trying to link his financial dealings that have nothing to do with his stance on the Oughterard DP centre . You're posts are pure bollix on the matter lad

Or in other words it doesn't exist.

Bollix indeed. :)

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »

Shut the borders now.

Yeah it was a real line of of the bleeding heart squad last night, Cooper seemed a bit annoyed that Grealish was ignoring the media.

Why are we bothering.

Not first country of entry - first EU country of processing.

I'd say Grealish will be a shoo in at the next election by standing up for his constituents, I wonder how that  PBP f*ckwit Joe Loughnane will do?:D
    First one elected last time I believe and will be next time too I'd wager .

Not so. If they have been processed in another EU state then that might apply, but simple entry is not sufficient. We are legally obliged to process asylum seekers.

So if as some have suggested that Ireland is not an attractive place to come to then why on earth do they not claim asylum in the first country they arrive in.

Probably because they know we are a welfare state and if they stick it out in DP for a few years they are living on easy street.

I posted up two links to articles yesterday regarding the asylum seekers in the area a couple of years ago when you questioned my post which you then totally ignored because they didn't suit your agenda

I didn't ignore, I simply didn't see it.

Link them up there please.
    so I will hardly waste further time trying to link his financial dealings that have nothing to do with his stance on the Oughterard DP centre . You're posts are pure bollix on the matter lad

Or in other words it doesn't exist.

Bollix indeed. :)
    Have a look back a few pages if you want to see them . Thanks

Probably because they know we are a welfare state

I love when people trot out this line, it exceeds a level of ignorance that is quite starting and you wonder what dark well the narrative came from.

Probably the same well, when you were banging on about Asylum Seekers having multiple appeals in the Supreme Court. :)

In comparison to the rest of Europe, Ireland in terms of GDP is near the bottom when it comes to spending on social protection.

the ratio of government social protection expenditure to GDP in Ireland in 2017 was 9.5%. This varied considerably across EU member states from 9.5% in Ireland to nearly a quarter in Finland (24.9 %). France, Denmark, Italy, Austria and Sweden devoted at least 20% of GDP to social protection, while Ireland, Lithuania, Malta, Latvia, Romania, Czechia and Bulgaria each spent less than 13% of GDP on social protection. When using GDP as a measure, it is clear that Ireland is far from the top in terms of overall spending on social protection. In fact, we are very much at the bottom.

Welfare State me hole.

Probably because they know we are a welfare state

I love when people trot out this line, it exceeds a level of ignorance that is quite starting and you wonder what dark well the narrative came from.

Probably the same well, when you were banging on about Asylum Seekers having multiple appeals in the Supreme Court. :)

In comparison to the rest  of Europe, Ireland in terms of GDP is near the bottom when it comes to spending on social protection.

the ratio of government social protection expenditure to GDP in Ireland in 2017 was 9.5%. This varied considerably across EU member states from 9.5% in Ireland to nearly a quarter in Finland (24.9 %). France, Denmark, Italy, Austria and Sweden devoted at least 20% of GDP to social protection, while Ireland, Lithuania, Malta, Latvia, Romania, Czechia and Bulgaria each spent less than 13% of GDP on social protection. When using GDP as a measure, it is clear that Ireland is far from the top in terms of overall spending on social protection. In fact, we are very much at the bottom.

Welfare State me hole.
    How many asylum seekers stay in Romania I wonder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

From todays indo, here is a an African scammer
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/asylumseeker-assumed-false-identity-to-allow-him-work-before-claiming-50k-in-welfare-35291001.html?fbclid=IwAR36mSxtEju2b_rghJ8acNVgW6js88FQB8Umx0cBNWMUYfAp8-i4j7PNCyI

An asylum-seeker who assumed a false identity to allow him to work in Ireland, before claiming €50,000 in social welfare payments when he lost his job, has avoided going to prison.

Samba Sow claimed entitlements including job seekers' benefit, job seekers' allowance and rent allowance under the name Moussa Sow over a four-year period between 2011 and 2014.

His deception was flagged by the Department of Social Protection's facial recognition system when he was made legal in 2015, tried to drop his false identity and regularise his situation, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard on Tuesday.

Sow (55) with an address in Kilakee Way, Firhouse, Dublin pleaded guilty to 18 counts of stealing social welfare payments from Phibsborough Post Office, North Circular Road, Dublin 7 and AIB in Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 between April 2011 and December 2014

Handing down a suspended two-year sentence, Judge Catherine Murphy noted that although Sow claimed his entitlements under a false name, he never tried to claim double payments. “As soon as he was given an alternative social welfare payment, he ceased claiming the first payment,” she said.

Garda Nigel Daly told Dean Kelly BL, prosecuting, that Sow arrived in Ireland from Senegal in 2007 and claimed asylum. He was placed in direct provision in Tralee, Co Kerry and received a payment of €19 a week.

Sow then paid €900 for a French passport with the name Moussa Sow which allowed him to work in the country. He acquired a PPS number under this name and worked in a pub in Dublin for the next four years. While working, he paid income tax and PRSI.

Mr Kelly said Sow was made redundant during the recession and started claiming social welfare payments under the name Moussa Sow. He claimed a total of €50,006 over the next four years, the court heard.

However, when Sow was granted permission to remain in the state, he “brought the claim under Moussa Sow to an end and made a legitimate claim” in his real name, Mr Kelly said. He was recognised by the department's facial recognition software and later arrested.

He has no previous convictions.

Defence barrister, Paul McCarthy SC, said Sow contacted the Department of Social Protection in October 2015 and arranged to pay back €20 weekly. To date, he has returned €1000 of the money he took.

He is currently living in emergency accommodation and shares a double room with another occupant. He has been there some time and is regarded as a “model occupant”, the court heard. He continues to support his wife and two children in Senegal and hopes to gain employment soon, Mr McCarthy said.

Gda Daly agreed that had Sow not sought to regularise his situation, he might never have been detected. He also agreed that Sow never tried to “double dip” or access payments under two names.

Judge Murphy noted a probation services report was extremely positive and found Sow was in no need of further supervision. “He is making and will continue to make an honest effort to pay back the money to social welfare,” she said.

How many asylum seekers stay in Romania I wonder

First thing that popped up on Google
    Romania granted protection status to 1,330 asylum seekers in 2017, mainly to Syrian and Iraqi citizens, according to data released on Thursday by Eurostat, EU's statistical branch

Roughly double Ireland for the same year.

• Advertisement

WB Yokes wrote: »
    From todays indo, here is a an African scammer

And he represents every single person in an entire continent?

Get up the yard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement