Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Boggles wrote: »
    And he represents every single person in an entire continent?

Get up the yard.

I dont think anyone said that. Its just an example of how easy it is to swap identities and scam the system here in Ireland. And im sure there are many more like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Bullocks wrote: »
    How many asylum seekers stay in Romania I wonder

First thing that popped up on Google
    Romania granted protection status to 1,330 asylum seekers in 2017, mainly to Syrian and Iraqi citizens, according to data released on Thursday by Eurostat, EU's statistical branch

Roughly double Ireland for the same year.
    Their population would be a fair bit bigger at around 20 million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

alastair wrote: »
    Not so. If they have been processed in another EU state then that might apply, but simple entry is not sufficient. We are legally obliged to process asylum seekers.

Ok, you know better than the European Court of Justice. FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,088 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is it?

You asked a question, I merely answered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In comparison to the rest of Europe, Ireland in terms of GDP is near the bottom when it comes to spending on social protection.

Welfare State me hole.

Note that using GDP as the denominator is not reliable in Ireland, as GDP is inflated due to MNC activities.

Using GDP makes our exp look smaller than it is.

Let's look at Social Protection Exp (SPE) per person.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/social-protection/data/main-tables

Instead of % of GDP, let's look at SPE exp per person.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/databrowser/view/tps00099/default/table?lang=en

We spend 8,450 pp on SPE.

Not the highest, no, but above the EU28 average.

7th highest in EU in 2017, I always exclude Lux as an oddball country.

So it's fair to say we are a large spender on welfare.

• Advertisement

WB Yokes wrote: »
    I dont think anyone said that. Its just an example of how easy it is to swap identities and scam the system here in Ireland. And im sure there are many more like him.

Really, have you gone to the guards with this information?

Welcome to boards by the way, I didn't get a chance to say that.

Really, have you gone to the guards with this information?

Welcome to boards by the way, I didn't get a chance to say that.

Cheers lad. Appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

alastair wrote: »
    You seem to confuse asylum seekers with economic migrants.

Ehh isn't the problem ?
    A huge proportion of the ones claiming asylum are just economic migrants.
    For example what war/terror is the Senegalese bloke that is mentioned here today fleeing ?

They know they have nothing to offer as legitimate immigrant applicant, but if they dream up some sob story people like you will be falling over themselves to fight for them to stay. :rolleyes:
    They are not ideal, but they ain't cages like you proposed.

How do you know it's not suitable? Have you seen an independent feasibility study?

Doctors, hospitals, schools all manageble distances with very decent transport network. 14 buses a day into the City as one User point out.

What is the criteria for suitability?

:confused:

Ehh a community of about 1200 to 1500 wider, should suddenly have to cope with a couple of hundred people just being dumped on them.
    And these 200 odd people have no ties to the area, will not be working but just hanging around.

Hell I wouldn't think it would be good idea to even dump say 200 odd unemployed Dubs in Oughterard.

Oh and being realistic about this no one has a fecking idea what these people's background really are.
    You could be getting the nicest lad in the world or you could be getting the next Anis Amri or the next Bereket Mekonnen.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

And he represents every single person in an entire continent?

Get up the yard.

There you go trying to accuse people of being racist again. Your racist-ometer is turned on to the max.

Geuze wrote: »

7th highest in EU in 2017, I always exclude Lux as an oddball country.

We are 10th by your link. With some countries left out of 2017, if you use 2016 we are 13th where they are inluded.

So you agree welfare state BS myth busted?

• Advertisement

There you go trying to accuse people of being racist again. Your racist-ometer is turned on to the max.

No I didn't.

But

New reg posting exclusively about fordiners in a negative fashion. :)

To be Frank.....

Is it?

You asked a question, I merely answered it.
    Spanks Boggles appreciate it lad

No I didn't.

But

New reg posting exclusively about fordiners in a negative fashion. :)

To be Frank.....

Or just a person concerned about the situation in Oughterard, concerned enough to register on here.

You can be concerned about the situation in Oughterard and not be a racist. I think that goes right over your head.

In fact its mind-boggling that you don't get that Boggles.

Our generous welfare including rent allowance medical card clothing grants etc etc arent attracting sponges from Africa.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Peak naivety.

Or just a person concerned about the situation in Oughterard, concerned enough to register on here.

You can be concerned about the situation in Oughterard and not be a racist. I think that goes right over your head.

Mate just let him continue to ruin the word "racist" i enjoy it.

People in Oughterard couldnt give a flying **** about allegations of racism. The old racism accusations are done. Boggles and co need to up their game.

Yeah, just a concerned well put together citizen. :pac:

I didn't call anyone in Oughterard racist.

Careful now, they are some serious allegations.

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Our generous welfare including rent allowance medical card clothing grants etc etc arent attracting sponges from Africa.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Peak naivety.
    Wouldn't you wonder why they make the effort to come as far west considering how they would be better off in so many other countries haha , passing out the best of host countries to flounder in our harsh , heavily protected welfare country . Silly asylum seekers ...

Yeah, just a concerned well put together citizen. :pac:

OK you accept they aren't racists in Oughterard, just people pushing back against what looks like a dictatorial move by government, with a communication and consultation style which wouldn't be out of place in the USSR.

Wouldn't you wonder why they make the effort to come as far west considering how they would be better off in so many other countries haha , passing out the best of host countries to flounder in our harsh , heavily protected welfare country . Silly asylum seekers ...

Maybe they know that Ireland is a welcoming country and have some familiarity what they were going through given our own tragic history.

Thankfully the basket of individuals who wallow and spread fear and ignorance is quite small and not representative of the country.

I think we should all be thankful for that, don't you?

Yeah, just a concerned well put together citizen.  :pac:

OK you accept they aren't racists in Oughterard, just people pushing back against what looks on the face of it a dictatorial move by government, with a communication and consultation  style which wouldn't be out of place in the USSR.
    That's exactly what they are protesting against , in fairness they are far from racists

• Advertisement

Backward and insular are just two of the words ive seen to describe the people of oughterard used in this thread. Plenty of other derogatary comments about the town also.

The people of Oughterard are backward for not accepting people from the most backward place on earth lol.

Some amount of waffle.

OK you accept they aren't racists in Oughterard, just people pushing back against what looks like a dictatorial move by government, with a communication and consultation style which wouldn't be out of place in the USSR.

I've no idea what to think, I certainly didn't call anyone from there racist like you said, the main reason given that they don't want the DP center located outside the village is lack of services.

I don't think that holds up TBH.

Unless you have proof to the contrary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I've no idea what to think, I certainly didn't call anyone from there racist like you said, the main reason given that they don't want the DP center located outside the village is lack of services.

I don't think that holds up TBH.

Unless you have proof to the contrary?
    You don’t think ? Have you any proof to the contrary son?

We are 10th by your link. With some countries left out of 2017, if you use 2016 we are 13th where they are inluded.

Nearly half the population are on welfare, so it's fair to say Ireland is a welfare state.

2017 Eurostat data on SPE per person.

1st Sweden
    2nd NL
    3rd FIN
    4th FR
    5th AUS
    6th BEL
    7th IRL

We come 7th in terms of expenditure per person, across the EU.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/databrowser/view/tps00099/default/bar?lang=en

Dozens of schools, GPs and 3 Hospitals in a 25 km radius.

14 bus routes to the city center every day.

Services don't sound like a problem TBH.

I would love to have that level of service.

Maybe they know that Ireland is a welcoming country and have some familiarity what they were going through given our own tragic history.

Thankfully the basket of individuals who wallow and spread fear and  ignorance is quite small and not representative of the country.

I think we should all be thankful for that, don't you?
    You can't live and prosper on welcomes and tragic history , so I have my doubts that that's what's encouraging asylum seekers
    I don't think too much about small baskets of individuals so I'll hold the thanks on that for now

OK, in 2016, we came 9th in the EU, (I always excl Lux).

Bear in mind that we have a younger than average pop, so our SPE exp pp should not be high.

Geuze wrote: »
    OK, in 2016, we came 9th in the EU, (I always excl Lux).

Bear in mind that we have a younger than average pop, so our SPE exp pp should not be high.

Am, I don't think you get to exclude countries.

But I said Europe not strictly the EU.

We are 13th with the data you provided.

Like I said Welfare State me hole, it's a myth largely spread by bitter simpletons to make them feel better about themselves.

Have you a link to the 14 bus routes into the city centre lad ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I'm from Galway. I'm not from Oughterard. People can be as pro asylum seeker as they like. Oughterard is not a suitable location. It's unfair to both the residents of Oughterard AND THE ASYLUM SEEKERS. Put them into Galway City which is a lot more suitable location. I would love for someone who thinks it's fine to stay a day out there in a cold day in November and see what it's like. Up until recently two cars couldn't even pass going over the bridge in village.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement