Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Read the ITs article I posted above. And have a look at the RTE doc from 2017/18.

322 out of 373 successfully housed as of 27/12/2018. That's damn fine work.

Housed where? In council houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I know loads of people from Ballaghadereen and they are all unhappy with the rise in crime, the increase in drugs in the area and the amount problematic immigrants.

Source for crime and drug figures please.

The only major crime coming from the town seems to be from the dodgy solicitor's office.

And anecdotal stuff again. Surely you can posit better arguments than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

alastair wrote: »
    Rejected asylum seekers are deported. That’s not even disputed in the piece you put up, but there’s no evidence of black economy activity by ex asylum seekers - even with the rolly eyes emoji applied to the issue.

How are they deported if less than twenty per cent are carried out??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I know loads of people from Ballaghadereen and they are all unhappy with the rise in crime, the increase in drugs in the area and the amount problematic immigrants.

Evidence for any of the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Alastair, i can appreciate you are trying to put across your point of view, but please stop throwing around terms like idiotic and insinuating others are scam artists. Interesting discussion here, so keen to keep it going.

• Advertisement

How are they deported if less than twenty per cent are carried out??

They are served with deportation orders and leave voluntarily.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I’ll take that as a “no” then.

Take it as a No you didn't volunteer? :)

You and Boggles are just coming across like all the other hypocrites and NIMBYs.

You have no issue with it when its somewhere else. But you want nothing to do with it yourself.

Not in my backyard. Couldn't be clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Did you volunteer to deport an asylum seeker?

I'd actually love to volunteer as the hearer of their case! If there is no plausible explanation given as to why they are claiming asylum in Ireland despite arriving to our territory indirectly, it'd be handcuffs and boarding pass. Do not pass. Go.

Failing that, I would be keen to attend a hearing as a taxpayer witness. It seems like a nebulous thing in contrast with other processes in Irish law where the public can freely witness and see justice being done. It'd be great to get details on payments made to those who represent them in these processes.

I'd like to see the inner workings of this large-scale 'common sense bypass' that has plagued us for some time now. McDowell's referendum was 2004! Ireland really spoke on that. The people were loud on that solitary occasion when they were actually given their say. I can see where the 'puppet government' accusations come from.

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Housed where? In council houses?

Relevance?

You and Boggles are just coming across like all the other hypocrites and NIMBYs.

You have no issue with it when its somewhere else. But you want nothing to do with it yourself.

Plenty of asylum seekers living in my locale, but thanks for the unsubstantiated theory.

• Advertisement

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Alastair, i can appreciate you are trying to put across your point of view, but please stop throwing around terms like idiotic and insinuating others are scam artists. Interesting discussion here, so keen to keep it going.

I beg to differ on the latter point. I have not seen any posts inferring such.

Relevance?

I think the Irish people that are waiting years for a council house would be interested to hear how long these refugees had to wait to be housed, dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I beg to differ on the latter point. I have not seen any posts inferring such.

Mod

On thread is not the place to question mod posts; if you didnt know it before you posted, you do now.

topper75 wrote: »
    I'd actually love to volunteer as the hearer of their case! If there is no plausible explanation given as to why they are claiming asylum in Ireland despite arriving to our territory indirectly, it'd be handcuffs and boarding pass. Do not pass. Go.

Failing that, I would be keen to attend a hearing as a taxpayer witness. It seems like a nebulous thing in contrast with other processes in Irish law where the public can freely witness and see justice being done. It'd be great to get details on payments made to those who represent them in these processes.

I'd like to see the inner workings of this large-scale 'common sense bypass' that has plagued us for some time now. McDowell's referendum was 2004! Ireland really spoke on that. The people were loud on that solitary occasion when they were actually given their say. I can see where the 'puppet government' accusations come from.

Yeaah, the point was it’s a farcical argument. I’m not actually interested.

It's likely that the two posters you mentioned have DPCs in their locale. I've one near me in Galway and I'd welcome another. I'm of the opinion that the numbers we take in are far below what we could cope with. Long term it'll also be an enormous boost for our economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They are served with deportation orders and leave voluntarily.

Hahahahaha, of course they do. They click their ruby slippers together three times while saying "There's no place like home". :rolleyes:

I think the Irish people that are waiting years for a council house would be interested to hear how long these refugees had to wait to be housed, dont you?

Greater need overrides all. And in terms of housing shortages that's a government rather than a refugee issue. Enough housing built then no controversy.

Hahahahaha, of course they do. They click their ruby slippers together three times while saying "There's no place like home". :rolleyes:

No. They take a plane or a ferry. Still waiting for that evidence btw.

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

On thread is not the place to question mod posts; if you didnt know it before you posted, you do now.

Fair enough. I'll send a private post now and in future.

Greater need overrides all. And in terms of housing shortages that's a government rather than a refugee issue. Enough housing built then no controversy.

So refugees prioritised over Irish citizens. Lovely.

Is it any wonder most people dont want them.

• Advertisement

Yeaah, the point was it’s a farcical argument. I’m not actually interested.

It wasn't farcical.

You don't live near a DPC. You are not directly impacted.

That makes a massive difference to an argument.

The very definition of a NIMBY is someone who advocates strongly that negative issues in society should be pushed onto someone else. And that is exactly what you are doing.

It wasn't farcical.

You don't live near a DPC. You are not directly impacted.

That makes a massive difference to an argument.

The very definition of a NIMBY is someone who advocates strongly that negative issues in society should be pushed onto someone else. And that is exactly what you are doing.

I’ve told you I live near many asylum seekers, in my back yard.

Where?

Where?

As already stated - Dublin north inner city.

As already stated - Dublin north inner city.

Where are the asylum seekers in the north inner city? DP centre or hotel or what?

Where are the asylum seekers in the north inner city? DP centre or hotel or what?

Hotels, B&B’s, houses, apartments.

So refugees prioritised over Irish citizens. Lovely.

Is it any wonder most people dont want them.

As Irish citizens often got priority over locals in UK housing where we were deemed to be an ethnic minority. I did when I moved there. And possibly elsewhere (US/Australia though don't have any information on such).

And anyone fleeing a war zone deserves housing, be it temporary or permanent.

Hotels, B&B’s, houses, apartments.

We're not going to persuade them with facts Alastair. Congnitive Dissonance wins out again. But hey, keep going and don't let 'em grind you down. I'm off to do some childcare stuff.

Not the same as a DPC. Not on the same scale. Not the same over-whelming numbers at once putting pressure on limited services. Not even close.

• Advertisement

As Irish citizens often got priority over locals in UK housing where we were deemed to be an ethnic minority. I did when I moved there. And possibly elsewhere (US/Australia though don't have any information on such).

And anyone fleeing a war zone deserves housing, be it temporary or permanent.

Dont be bringing what Irish people did or didnt get it into the argument, i disagree with any refugees or immigrants getting prioritised over the citizens of the country the landed in.

Thats a politicians argument, same as the line they roll out everytime they are asked about immigration, "oh but the irish emigrated blah blah blah"

Its literally their go to argument every single time and it doesnt wash with the people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement