Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    We've been accommodated throughout the planet. .
    Accomodated in newly disovered lands you say? Fed 3 meals a day, watered, transported, sheltered, handed a unlaboured monetary allowance is it now?
    Silly comparisions really ain't cool.
    We still are being welcomed
    Legally.
    I.e. With correct visas or work permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Accomodated in newly disovered lands you say? Fed 3 meals a day, watered, transported, sheltered, handed a unlaboured monetary allowance is it now?

Silly comparisions really ain't cool.

Legally.

I.e. With correct visas or work permits.

Were we refugees we'd be entitled to such treatment.

And you entirely sure about the legal status of Irish in the US over the past few decades?

You should also be aware that the rejection rate for Albanian applications is 99%, Georgia 97%, Syria 1.75%, Nigeria 94.4% (Asylum Information Database from 2018 applications).

So you should be aware these top5 block actual genuine cases from the system, and with their near endless appeals, expense and time delays can often result in permanent remain status. Brilliant eh, you reckon?

Were we refugees we'd be entitled to such treatment.
    Lazy whataboutery (again).
    And no FYI there wasn't 3 meals a day, roofs over the head, and money handed out once off the boat. The only way to get anywhere close to that was to sign-up to a foreign civil war as soon as you got off the boat. But don't worry about such realities.
    And you entirely sure about the legal status of Irish in the US over the past few decades?
    If they're in the US (illegally) send them back, as is often the case.

So you should be aware these top5 block actual genuine cases from the system, and with their near endless appeals, expense and time delays can often result in permanent remain status. Brilliant eh, you reckon?

It's a governmental issue to ensure there's sufficient manpower to deal more speedily with cases and prevent such blocking. You can't hold refugees responsible for the claims of those that are not genuine as you're doing throughout this thread.

And where's the basis for your claim re the lack of training and/or education for those same refugees?

• Advertisement

Lazy whataboutery (again).

If they're in the US (illegally) send them back, as is often the case.

To paraphrase The Princess Bride 'I don't think whataboutery means what you think it means'. I've answered a question you've raised about Irish living abroad. Don't use a lazy term for your lack of factual argument.

Undocumented Irish in the US periodically got residential status under new administrations. It'll likely happen again with the next US administration.

It's a governmental issue to ensure there's sufficient manpower to deal more speedily with cases and prevent such blocking. You can't hold refugees responsible for the claims of those that are not genuine as you're doing throughout this thread.
    Yes false appeals and false applicants do indeed slow down the system, preventing genuine help. You can't hold fake applicants 'un'-reposnsible for the suffering to genuine cases.
    And where's the basis for your claim re the lack of training and/or education for those same refugees?
    Where's the basis for your claim re: 'the high quality education and skills' being offered in the way of these fake applicants (top5 groups) supplied by people traffickers?

It'll likely happen again with the next US administration.
    And we'll all be living on Mars too.

Sure when Trump wins again in 2020 why not head over to JFK with a rucksack and tell 'em you want 3 hot meals a day, just for the laugh.

Yes false appeals and false applicants do indeed slow down the system, preventing genuine help. You can't hold fake applicants 'un'-reposnsible for the suffering to genuine cases.

Where's the basis for your claim re: 'the high quality education and skills' being offered in the way of these fake applicants (top5 groups) supplied by people traffickers?

No such claim. I clearly stated that amongst the refugees there were a wide range of people coming from across all classes and educational levels.
    Please don't deflect and answer my question. Or if unable to then say so.

And we'll all be living on Mars too.

Sure when Trump wins again in 2020 why not head over to JFK with a rucksack and tell 'em you want 3 hot meals a day, just for the laugh.

A Trump win would be a continuation of this administration. I referred to the next administration, be it in 2021 or 2025.

• Advertisement

all classes and educational levels.
    Class is irrelevant unless you hold some prejudice in that regard.

Actual skills and education levels would by default be lower than a Western European country with one of the highest education levels in the world. Even a neurosurgeon would require some re-training and conversion.

Again, you're ignoring the 95% volume of applicants from places such as Zimbabwe, Nigeria and Georgia and so on.

A Trump win would be a continuation of this administration. I referred to the next administration, be it in 2021 or 2025.
    Correct. You do realise neither of those dates are valid intervals for 4yr terms. If you reckon Beto, Yang or anyone else will do a 'Merkel' I'd say keep dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Whens the meeting to turn the hotel into a homeless shelter for Irish people?
    We look after our own etc etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No it's on the government to deport those that are not given refugee status. Until that happens we will be stuck with endless appeals and backlogs while the legal profession laugh at us.

It's a weak spin obsessed government that's the blame. It's human nature for these non refugees to try their arm. However look at the rejection rates, it's clear those that aren't genuine are in the majority, which leads to delays and issues helping actual refugee's

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

victor8600 wrote: »
    Even though I am a liberal leftie myself, I would support the town's residents on this. Basically what I would object to is putting 250 people into a small town, because these people are forbidden to work, have very little money and are basically tied to the place. Even if they were Buddist monks and having the patience of saints, the boredom of having nothing to do in a small town will drive some people mad.

Actually the laws on working have changed in the last year or two.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,107 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Despite Boggles questioning my motives for posting here

A family with kids are being terrorised in their home and you respond with.
    The "innocent" family is still the registered owner of the hotel

Absolutely no proof and nice use of the word innocent there.

Also

Having said that, I know this must be very uncomfortable for her but the phrase "you reap what you sow" springs to mind.

Take your motives and get up the yard you absolute chancer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Whens the meeting to turn the hotel into a homeless shelter for Irish people?
    We look after our own etc etc....

We look after refugees first. Thats how it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

victor8600 wrote: »
    Even though I am a liberal leftie myself, I would support the town's residents on this. Basically what I would object to is putting 250 people into a small town, because these people are forbidden to work, have very little money and are basically tied to the place. Even if they were Buddist monks and having the patience of saints, the boredom of having nothing to do in a small town will drive some people mad.

While I agree with what you say, my objection is that these AS should not get beyond the airports / ports, as their claims are bogus.

Can we not process their claims in 24hr / 7 days max in the port?

That would also send out a signal to economic migrants that we are not a soft touch.

I would hope we could turn around bogus claims from Pakistanis / Indians / Albanians / Georgians in 24hrs, and deport them within 7 days?

Then the whole problem of DP goes away, and the taxpayer saves millions.

WB Yokes wrote: »

Yes, we agreed to accept 4,000 genuine refugees, and that is fine.

We should deport bogus AS.

WB Yokes wrote: »

No we don't, that is just plain silly.

But a question.

What has an asylum seeker, probably the lowest and most unfortunate of our society every done to you to make you so bitter?

The majority of your posts are just pure bullying.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Boggles wrote: »
    If you think the poster is bullying others then please report the posts and a forum mod will take a look.
    (I'm not a mod of this forum so that's just a suggestion ^^^)

biko wrote: »
    If you think the poster is bullying others

On here. No I don't.

Your right though maybe leave it up to the mods of the forum, they might interrupt my post correctly.

Good lad.

Geuze wrote: »
    I would hope we could turn around bogus claims from Pakistanis / Indians / Albanians / Georgians in 24hrs, and deport them within 7 days?

You can't process asylum seekers in such a short time, it's impossible and completely unreasonable.

That said Immigration Officials at our ports are not idiots and routinely deport 1000s every year who never make it through the gate, with only a fraction allowed to claim asylum.

The idea that anyone can just rock up, claim asylum and enter system is a complete myth.

What has an asylum seeker, probably the lowest and most unfortunate of our society every done to you to make you so bitter?

Genuine refugees face troubles, yes. We should welcome them.

Bogus AS like this guy, do not:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/lucrative-sham-marriage-scam-brought-to-an-end-at-dublin-cricket-match-1.3504893

"Born on January 1st, 1978, the authorities in Ireland first became aware of him in 2008 when he sought asylum. He was one of 3,866 foreign nationals to do so that year, 237 of them Pakistani.

The result was against him so he appealed. In December, 2009, the Refugee Appeals Tribunal rejected his case. But by now he had a fall-back plan. Then aged 31, he married a 20-year-old Latvian woman.

The wedding, such as it was, took place in Clonmel, Co Tipperary, in the same month his application for asylum was rejected on appeal."

I contend that these 237 AS are all bogus. They are not fleeing asylum, they are economic migrants looking for a better life.

And who can blame them?

I would not like to live in Pakistan either.

But by claiming to be asylum-seekers, they are lying to take advantage of us.

And some silly, stupid people in Ireland believe them, and are sympathetic towards them.

These are criminals, organising hundreds of sham marriages.

They should be deported within 24hrs of arrival here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

The idea that anyone can just rock up, claim asylum and enter system is a complete myth.
    Now that ain't true, at all! Your just throwing stuff out and hoping you don't get pulled on it.
    The majority do indeed rock up...the first we know they are even in the country is when they show up at the Immigration Offices in Dublin City Centre to claim asylum.

It's being like that for 20 years now. It's not a secret to anyone who reads up on this area

You should also be aware that the rejection rate for Albanian applications is 99%, Georgia 97%, Syria 1.75%, Nigeria 94.4% (Asylum Information Database from 2018 applications).

That is great news.

I wonder how fast these decisions are made?

And I wonder how many of the failed applicants then leave the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It's not been destroyed by Europe.

As was posted yesterday European immigrants were the only net benefactors to the UK.

If only they stuck that on the side of a bus.

The hilarious irony being old Blighty will have to further tap the former colonies to make up in the shortfall.

Something they always had control of. :)

Not my opinion by the way, the opinion of their own home office.

Not correct - people moved between European countries before anybody knew what EEC even stood for - 'old Blighty' will henceforth cherry pick from the entire outside world - Europe AND beyond. Anybody who is truly a 'net benefactor' need not worry. Spongers and anti-social types ought to though. They won't have a leg to stand on.

The Brussels behemoth likes to claim ownership of the idea of people having the facility to move around Europe. Much as it claims credit for us not having a major war since WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good lad.
    Please don't bully me

If you think a poster on an internet forum is bullying asylum seekers that don't even know this person exist, or have read their posts then you should stop devaluing the term bullying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You can't process asylum seekers in such a short time, it's impossible and completely unreasonable.

That said Immigration Officials at our ports are not idiots and routinely deport 1000s every year who never make it through the gate, with only a fraction allowed to claim asylum.

You are contradicting yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

But a question.

Why?

You are obviously one of these bleeding heart types. Lads coming in from Georgia and Albania are far from the "most unfortunate of our society".

And im not bitter i would just like to see my fellow citizens prioritised over refugees. I dont get why people are ok to put further strain on our health and housing system.

Should we be not be fixing what is broken before we are taking more people in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement