Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    That so? Then why the 52% for Brexit whose campaign was founded on a heavy dose of xenophobia. Some scratching under the surface and the fear of the other seeped through very quickly.

Regarding refugees we signed up to that.

Regarding EU nationals freedom of movement (again signed up to) means we accept all citizens of the other 27 states who have right of residence for three months without conditions under Directive 2004/38/EC. After three months residence is allowed as long as the person has sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence. There are exemptions to this (particularly sickness) but basically it allows states to deport EU nationals who are not contributing to the country they are newly resident in. Most states choose not to act upon this because the vast majority of new arrivals are net contributors to the state (€2,300 per annum more from EU citizens than UK citizens to the UK Treasury). However, Belgium chose to ant others could follow. Long story short - we're not powerless to act.

To call everyone who voted for Brexit racist is frankly pathetic.

Jeremy Corbyn was strongly EU sceptic until recently and possibly or probably voted leave as did many more on the far left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

We're constantly told all the asylum seekers are itching to get out of direct provision n get out working and contributing.
    Have any of the many quangos involved ever done a follow up n filled us in on what percentage are working away, say, 5 or 10 years after getting asylum or leave to remain?
    If not, why not?
    Surely it'd be a good news story for the asylum industry?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

To call everyone who voted for Brexit racist is frankly pathetic.

Jeremy Corbyn was strongly EU sceptic until recently and possibly or probably voted leave as did many more on the far left.

To summarise - not everyone who voted for Brexit is a racist. But every racist voted for Brexit.

Corbyn campaigned heavily for and voted for Remain (not something the right-wing press there are keen to report on), he's not a huge EU fan but he's in favour of it. If you can produce any reportage on him saying he wanted or wants Brexit then I'll accept that. He this week agreed to push for a second referendum with Remain as an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

////Preferably a breakdown of the occupations of Sudanese, Eritrean ....
    Strange as these two countries you named so quickly don't even feature on the top5 over recent months:

Ebw1yn9.png

Only locations such as war-torn? S.Africa (Cape town is real nice this time of year, not too warm, just a colling brezze on the beachs and boardwalks) maybe you missed the recent tourism ad campaigns.

And the 'highly organised' Albanians, sure maybe they're fighting some sort of undisclosed inter-galactical space war with the clingons up in the clouds.

To summarise - not everyone who voted for Brexit is a racist. But every racist voted for Brexit.

Corbyn campaigned heavily for and voted for Remain (not something the right-wing press there are keen to report on), he's not a huge EU fan but he's in favour of it. If you can produce any reportage on him saying he wanted or wants Brexit then I'll accept that. He this week agreed to push for a second referendum with Remain as an option.

And the number of racists in Britain is miniscule.

There's a difference between being a racist and someone who wants to control who comes into the country. A huge difference. I wouldn't want a caucasian serial rapist coming into this country for example.

• Advertisement

Strange as these two countries you named so quickly don't even feature on the top5 over recent months:

Ebw1yn9.png

Only locations such as war-torn? S.Africa (Cape town is real nice this time of year, not too warm, just a colling brezze on the beachs and boardwalks) maybe you missed the recent tourism ad campaigns.

And the 'highly organised' Albanians, sure maybe they're fighting some sort of undisclosed inter-galactical space war with the clingons up in the clouds.

Why would Albanians cross the Mediterranean, unless very lost? They've a land route and an Adriatic route should you require a geographical link. I'll note that alongside your grammar, spelling and erratic sources.

The countries named were those with recent wars and a refugee issue. I could add in Libya, Syria and others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

That so? Then why the 52% for Brexit whose campaign was founded on a heavy dose of xenophobia.

Is being a sovereign state xenophobic by definition in your take?
    I don't see how taking powers from an entity outside your country and restoring them to your own government could be so. The outcome may upset us here unfortunately but I have to grudgingly admire their determined efforts to restore sanity when things have clearly gone too far. They are drinking coffee when Ireland's political alarm clock hasn't even sounded.
    Maybe 1916 could be regarded as xenophobic the way you appear to view things?

I don't think we need academic peer-reviews article to prove to anyone that doctors and engineers are not on life rafts paddling across the Med in order to declare "here I am, I'm your problem now". The work visa route is wide open to any such qualified people. What is arriving sadly is the dregs. Been near any train stations in Italy of late?

To summarise - not everyone who voted for Brexit is a racist....
    Correct, we'll you'd hope so as there was 17.4m of them.

There's a difference between being a racist and someone who wants to control who comes into the country. A huge difference. I wouldn't want a caucasian serial rapist coming into this country for example.

Proof of the first?

And who would? You do realise that Ireland is entitled to block any convicted criminals?

Correct, we'll you'd hope so as there was 17.4m of them.

Nice to see you get a figure correct as opposed to the wrong years of US administrations.

And you're back to the spelling stuff. Please read back your own post about uneducated and illiterate refugees. Ironic in retrospect.

• Advertisement

The countries named were those with recent wars and a refugee issue. .

So you can clarify yes, why the top 5 countries in the last few months aren't 'war-torn' (as you appear keep dropping this term at every opportunity)?

Ebw1yn9.png

topper75 wrote: »
    Is being a sovereign state xenophobic by definition in your take?
    I don't see how taking powers from an entity outside your country and restoring them to your own government could be so. The outcome may upset us here unfortunately but I have to grudgingly admire their determined efforts to restore sanity when things have clearly gone too far. They are drinking coffee when Ireland's political alarm clock hasn't even sounded.
    Maybe 1916 could be regarded as xenophobic the way you appear to view things?

I don't think we need academic peer-reviews article to prove to anyone that doctors and engineers are not on life rafts paddling across the Med in order to declare "here I am, I'm your problem now". The work visa route is wide open to any such qualified people. What is arriving sadly is the dregs. Been near any train stations in Italy of late?

Taking what exact powers?

Nice to see you get a figure correct as opposed to the wrong years of US administrations.
    Ah yes the famous 'POTUS2021' as it isn't know, or ever referred to.

Great to see you change the subject again, while you run your regular nazi spell checks (empty vessels sure do make the most noise), good lad, sure you'd make a good Drillmaster walking around with a bigstick.

So you can clarify yes, why the top 5 countries in the last few months aren't 'war-torn' (as you appear keep dropping this term at every opportunity)?

Ebw1yn9.png

Please report a source for this. And the percentage of those applications refused. Or look back at mine. Are you telling me that South African & Nigerian nationals are crossing the Mediterranean in boats rather than flying in? If so give me some documentation or links on that.

Ah yes the famous 'POTUS2021' as it isn't know, or ever referred to.

Great to see you change the subject again, while you run your regular nazi spell checks, good lad sure you'd make a good drillmaster.

Relevant given the adjectives you used regarding the literacy and education of refugees. Maybe choose your words carefully when criticising others. Otherwise karma may bite you yet again.

Ebw1yn9.png

Just checked the countries again. Are you aware where any of them are? And how unlikely it is they'd use the Mediterranean. Georgia is in Eurasia. Again a land route. And Zimbabwe, next door to South Africa. Those guys ain't covering the continent to get a boat.

https://www.worldatlas.com/

Relevant given the adjectives you used regarding the literacy and education of refugees. Maybe choose your words carefully when criticising others. Otherwise karma may bite you yet again.
    So you only substance of any worth so far is to focus on an occasional typo, my oh my what a real intellectual we have here, don't tell us, your in Mensa too?

Go on tell me all about this 'karma', (an unproved woo-woo hocus pocus principle), read about it in a big book with pictures of lads flying about on carpets? Thought so.

And who would? You do realise that Ireland is entitled to block any convicted criminals?

Many who voted for Brexit don't either and it could be a French, German or Spanish rapist for all they care. Its about controlling borders.

There are likely no more racists in the UK per capita than any other country.

Just checked the countries again. Are you aware where any of them are? And how unlikely it is they'd use the Mediterranean. Georgia is in Eurasia. Again a land route. And Zimbabwe, next door to South Africa. Those guys ain't covering the continent to get a boat.

Didn't have to check a map (like yourself). Only asking you why it is (irrelevant of the Med), that the top5 IPO applicants aren't even war-torn.

So you only substance of any worth so far is to focus on an occasional typo, my oh my what a real intellectual we have here, don't tell us, your in Mensa too?

Go on tell me all about this 'karma', (an unproved woo-woo hocus pocus principle), read about it in a big book with pictures of lads flying about on carpets? Thought so.

Another one. I've never pulled anyone up on grammar or spelling before but necessary here with your reactionary adjectives regarding the literacy and intellect of refugees. Karma there as the exact thing you criticised them for (without any factual basis) is exactly what you've displayed on this thread. Glass houses and all....

• Advertisement

Many who voted for Brexit don't either and it could be a French, German or Spanish rapist for all they care. Its about controlling borders.

There are likely no more racists in the UK per capita than any other country.

You said the numbers are miniscule. From what research?

Regarding criminals the point remains the same. All EU countries are entitled to block them. You do know that, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How do you define minuscule, have you a number?

What data are you basing your assertions on?

Didn't have to check a map (like yourself). Only asking you why it is (irrelevant of the Med), that the top5 IPO applicants aren't even war-torn.

Well, you nailed me there.

And refugee status has never been dependent on war. Political, racial, sexuality persecution, etc, etc. You're fully aware of that surely?

You said the numbers are miniscule. From what research?

Regarding criminals the point remains the same. All EU countries are entitled to block them. You do know that, don't you?

Yes they are. Very difficult and virtually impossible to fully enforce as the UK found out.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check/2016/mar/29/eu-dangerous-criminals-allowed-free-entry-uk-vote-leave-claims

Another one. I've never pulled anyone up on grammar or spelling before but necessary here with your reactionary adjectives regarding the literacy and intellect of refugees. Karma there as the exact thing you criticised them for (without any factual basis) is exactly what you've displayed on this thread. Glass houses and all....

So you're confirming the suggestion of empty vessels (making noise and all...)

Listen if you've nothing worthwhile to put forward, why not get schooled yourself by all these Doctors, Programmers & Engineers in their 'undisputed' perfect 'grade A' English.

Jumping out of light crafts (after handing 6-10k to criminal trafficking gangs). Here's a top tip: double check their Phd papers using UV light for true authenticity.

Anyway, I'm offline now to meet with more harmonious people. Hopefully I'll check in tomorrow and find some posts with good sources, research and factual arguments that put me in my place and justify some of the reactionary dislike of foreigners and refugees here. I live in hope. don't let me down guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Seathrun it should be said is someone who's on the gravy train. Pulling in big money to shill for refugees immigration etc
    Likely has a background in the legal profession, possibly some flirtation in the past with a political career. Almost certainly working for a large scale NGO

Yes they are. Very difficult and virtually impossible to fully enforce as the UK found out.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check/2016/mar/29/eu-dangerous-criminals-allowed-free-entry-uk-vote-leave-claims

No, not at all. Read the article before posting. You've just successfully argued against your own case here. Thanks for saving me the bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

If these places are so wartorn or poverty stricken is it not right to say education would be there last priority. So which is it. Great education or wartorn and broken countries.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    How do you define minuscule, have you a number?

What data are you basing your assertions on?

Yep

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far-right_politics_in_the_United_Kingdom

The BNP won a whopping 1.9% at the 2010 election. The national front won an impressive 0.04%!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement