Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think the real spongers in all of this are the people who are making their money off the backs of the people who are being put into these centres, but alot of the people who think they are speaking up for them cannot see this or don't want to. The whole DPC set up is a quango ran by people who couldn't care less about your migrants or local communities alike.

I'm not a fan of DP centers myself, mainly the length of time asylum seekers and refugees have to spend in them and it is well documented what the adverse effects of long term DP are to them.

But in terms of negative effects on the local community, I have seen nothing.

So what are the documented tangible adverse effects of DP centers on a local community?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Whooooosh.

Poster points out Saudi is hardly a mecca for freedom of expression. You seem to disagree.

You point out 10 percent of Saudi are fordiners, but then quantify that by saying they are basically slaves.

Whoosh indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of DP centers myself, mainly the length of time asylum seekers and refugees have to spend in them and it is well documented what the adverse effects of long term DP are to them.

So what are the documented tangible adverse effects of DP centers on a local community?

The locals don’t have to provide you or anyone else with documentation of anything.

They simply have to say that they don’t want it.

In a democracy that is how things work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I think its going to be very hard to find documented effects given the bias interviews from people on rte and the way the government is bringing this to communities without proper consultation with the people who it will affect the most. You also have our Gardai and politicians feared to speak of effects because of being seen to be racist. A blind man could see essential services are going to be stretched to breaking point and I think a person from the likes of balbriggan as an example could document what adverse effects multiculturalism has on a community after listening to posters from there in another thread.

creeper1 wrote: »
    The locals don’t have to provide you or anyone else with documentation of anything.

I didn't ask the locals to provide anything, I purposely kept the question simple.
    creeper1 wrote: »
    They simply have to say that they don’t want it.

In a democracy that is how things work

No it doesn't.
    I think its going to be very hard to find documented effects

So you have nothing, no evidence?

So at best you are fear mongering without anything resembling a fact.

That's pretty nuts be fair.

• Advertisement

I didn't ask the locals to provide anything, I purposely kept the question simple.

No it doesn't.

So tell me then. In what capacity are you involved with these centres. Have you visited many of the places that these centres are located. How many of these communities have you spoken to about the adverse affects or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

No it doesn't.

What's your evidence that these people benefit the place either. Just bleeding heart crap when it's really a money racket. With a lot of bogus applications. So pointless arguing. The only point should be taken into account then is the wishes of the locals. Would you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So tell me then. In what capacity are you involved with these centres. Have you visited many of the places that these centres are located. How many of these communities have you spoken to about the adverse affects or not.
    How many have you visited?
    How many locals in areas where they are have you spoken to?
    If you are so on favour of them please tell me where you live and I'll do my best to get the funds together to build one as close as possible to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah and bringing those from monocultural societies into this country is ruining it.

Yeaaah. It’s not. This country is more culturally vibrant and thriving than it’s ever been.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Its funny how they never put these asylum centres in rich areas.

But that's double standards for you.

The head of the refugee council wouldn't even allow a housing development to built in her area in the middle of a housing crisis.

But these are the same kind of people who will call the little people racist if they object to asylum centres.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/denise-charlton-joins-pat-kenny-in-opposing-plan-to-develop-her-family-lands-d80krfxvc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

alastair wrote: »
    Yeaaah. It’s not. This country is more culturally vibrant and thriving than it’s ever been.
    What does "culturally vibrant" even mean?

As for thriving, if you're speaking economically we were higher at the turn of the millennium. However emptily that turned out to be(well that's boom bust for ya).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

How many have you visited?
    How many locals in areas where they are have you spoken to?
    If you are so on favour of them please tell me where you live and I'll do my best to get the funds together to build one as close as possible to you.

I think you had better go back and look at my posts. I'm lost trying too work out what point you are making

Ah bless. Did ya run outa steam.

No interest in your attitude tbh.

What does "culturally vibrant" even mean?

As for thriving, if you're speaking economically we were higher at the turn of the millennium. However emptily that turned out to be(well that's boom bust for ya).

We had a lot of culture vibrancy in the RDS a few days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

This country is more culturally vibrant and thriving than it’s ever been.
    Agree, sure is 'vibrant':

ehoIy21.png
    https://youtu.be/rjptTA5x3eQ
    To be fair the untouchable, thriving yoofs only hospitalised the victim with facial injuries, and the ARU was stood down upon arrival. You'd expect to be safe from gang violence at ye olde college fair, apparently not.

Dub will be heading the same way as Ldn very soon.
    Anyone see the reports of tents appearing over at Mayfair this week?

7c80Hfg.png
    Used to be the best spot on the Monolopy board, plenty of posh bars and shopping, these days you carry the wallet inside your jacket, attached to a chain.

How in god's name did you make that daft leap? Then again daft leaps are your forte as you struggle in vain for an argument for this multicultural nonsense. You would think it would be so easy to defend as a position if it were so positive.

Oh and I hate to break it to you over ten percent of Saudis aren't Arab, they have their own ethnic minorities, mostly African and Indian. They have no trouble from them, though they're mostly all but slaves in name, so there's that.

As for ethnic monocultures, most nations in East Asia tend to be and also tend to be wary of too many "outsiders" coming in and what part of the world is seeing some of the highest growth, with some of the lowest crime rates?

Most nations in east Asia are not monocultural. So there’s that. And effective slave migrants with no rights don’t remove the inherent monocultural nature of Saudi. There’s a reason why multiculturalism is the dominant norm worldwide.

Agree, sure is 'vibrant':

ehoIy21.png
    https://youtu.be/rjptTA5x3eQ
    To be fair the untouchable, thriving yoofs only hospitalised the victim with facial injuries, and the ARU was stood down upon arrival. You'd expect to be safe from gang violence at ye olde college fair, apparently not.

Dub will be heading the same way as Ldn very soon.
    Anyone see the reports of tents appearing over at Mayfair this week?

7c80Hfg.png
    Used to be the best spot on the Monolopy board, plenty of posh bars and shopping, these days you carry the wallet inside your jacket, attached to a chain.

Thing is - it is. I love the ‘stabbing’ headline btw. Is fake news now okay as long as you employ scare quotes? 😂🤡

Thing is - it is. I love the ‘stabbing’ headline btw. Is fake news now okay as long as you employ scare quotes? 😂🤡

If there was no stabbing why they did send armed Gardai to the scene ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We had a lot of culture vibrancy in the RDS a few days ago.
    Meh, there has always been interschool skulduggery and similar incidences going on. Lansdowne road after a schools rugby match was a regular venue for that sorta thing when I was a kid. Different uniform? Go get him, he's different.

The difference when ethnicity comes into it is that "uniform" is for life and humans being tribal by nature tend to split into factions and that's where the problems are. It's a given and one repeated throughout history and across cultures and the world. Never mind social hierarchies that come along with it. They already exist in a more monocultural state, but are exacerbated in a multicultural one. Again this is repeated throughout history and across the world. Skin colour doesn't even have to be involved. Just go 100 miles north on our island to see how slightly different cultures get on. Now we can hope that this will change, but after thousands of years of human culture and human nature demonstrating time and time again that it doesn't, I think the time for naive hope has kinda passed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Its funny how they never put these asylum centres in rich areas.

But that's double standards for you.

The head of the refugee council wouldn't even allow a housing development to built in her area in the middle of a housing crisis.

But these are the same kind of people who will call the little people racist if they object to asylum centres.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/denise-charlton-joins-pat-kenny-in-opposing-plan-to-develop-her-family-lands-d80krfxvc

Except they do. There was an asylum centre in Kilmarnock House on Military road in Killiney. Pretty much as rich a neighbourhood as you’ll find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Indeed, to be fair to the person who took the video and uploaded it from their mobile, it certainly must have looked like it was (even if it wasn't), as the bloodied victim was taken away in an ambulance and the ARU showed up.

However others will only focus on the 'headline technicalities' for their point scoring, and will not be visiting whoever it was that went to hospital. They will also downplay any likely increase in a certain type of gang violence.

Most nations in east Asia are not monocultural. So there’s that.
    Take China. Many ethnicities alright. Who runs the place, who sets the dominant culture? The Han Chinese that's who. Who are the bottom of the pile? Not the Han Chinese that's who. Japan is pretty damned monocultural and those ethnicities who are present like the Koreans are again looked down upon. Korea itself again pretty damned monocultural in ethnicity too. And in all those examples the ethnicities are all the same skin colour.

And effective slave migrants with no rights don’t remove the inherent monocultural nature of Saudi. There’s a reason why multiculturalism is the dominant norm worldwide.
    Actually it's not. It would be far more accurate to state that monocultures with ethnic minorities within many of them is the dominant norm and further the norm is that in the majority of cases those ethnic minorities are the bottom of the social pile.

Just go 100 miles north on our island to see how slightly different cultures get on. Now we can hope that this will change, but after thousands of years of human culture and human nature demonstrating time and time again that it doesn't, I think the time for naive hope has kinda passed.

Might as well write off N.I. then eh? Overblown guff.

Except they do. There was an asylum centre in Kilmarnock House on Military road in Killiney. Pretty much as rich a neighbourhood as you’ll find.
    There was.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

alastair wrote:
    Yeah a Garda in Drogheda gets kicked on the ground and has facial scars for life from a gang of Balbriggan thugs. Suspects in the Courtown rape and sexual assault if young teenage girls are of African decent. There's a big gang of youths of African decent terrorising people in Galway. Some of these have been jailed but it's still going on.
    We have lots of foreign nationals locked up for rape and murder.
    We have lots of gangs of foreign nationals heavily involved in the drugs trade.
    Our country is getting more seedy by the day.

Take China. Many ethnicities alright. Who runs the place, who sets the dominant culture? The Han Chinese that's who. Who are the bottom of the pile? Not the Han Chinese that's who. Japan is pretty damned monocultural and those ethnicities who are present like the Koreans are again looked down upon. Korea itself again pretty damned monocultural in ethnicity too. And in all those examples the ethnicities are all the same skin colour.

Actually it's not. It would be far more accurate to state that monocultures with ethnic minorities within many of them is the dominant norm and further the norm is that in the majority of cases those ethnic minorities are the bottom of the social pile.

China isn’t monocultural, as much as it tries to intern and ‘redeucate’ it’s Muslim minorities. Japan offers no great model of monoculturalism, given the suppression if it’s own minority cultures and the treatment of Koreans and Chinese as part of it’s imperial adventures.

Monocultures - with or without oppressed minorities are neither a norm, nor anything to aspire to. You’re really shilling some weak broth here.

Yeah a Garda in Drogheda gets kicked on the ground and has facial scars for life from a gang of Balbriggan thugs. Suspects in the Courtown rape and sexual assault if young teenage girls are of African decent. There's a big gang of youths of African decent terrorising people in Galway. Some of these have been jailed but it's still going on.
    We have lots of foreign nationals locked up for rape and murder.
    We have lots of gangs of foreign nationals heavily involved in the drugs trade.
    Our country is getting more seedy by the day.

The Garda in drogheda didn’t get any facial scars for life. Stop talking ****e. The suspects in Courtown are not Africans, they’re Travellers from Kilkenny. Stop talking ****e.

Might as well write off N.I. then eh? Overblown guff.
    Northern Ireland as an example of how cultures mix or don't as the case may be is a lot less overblown than the stuff we read from you. Unless you completely write off the centuries of inter-ethnic strife up there. Strife that is still there just under the surface.

Then again given your continuing penchant for nebulous "positives" like "cultural vibrancy" which you fire out willy nilly but can't seem to follow up with much by way of explanation or argument, I would suggest not throwing too many rocks in that glass house of yours.

Yeah. There have been plenty of centres closed over the years. Does it make it, or them, imaginary?

• Advertisement

There wasn’t any stabbing. Move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement