Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Remember that time far left goons were bussed into Rooskey to tell locals they are racist. They got ran out, refused service in all the pubs lol

Fair play to that woman, she kept a cool head considering the 3 idiots she had to deal with.

B0jangles wrote: »
    And exactly as I said yesterday, no-one is immune to propoganda - No one. Long-term exposure to stuff you know is bullshít still slowly affects your worldview.

So do you not believe them when they say it's a lack of facilities they are protesting about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Fair play to that woman, she kept a cool head considering the 3 idiots she had to deal with.

The cheek of them, going down to Rooskey and telling the people of the town what's good for them. 3 stooges it's a pity they didnt get drop kicked into the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

What about it?

I never mentioned anything about the centre in Salthill.

It's in the city and has the facilities which is the point the people of Oughterard are trying to make.

You said none in smart or expensive areas. There's one in Salthill in your town. Do some research before posting incorrect information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

The cheek of them, going down to Rooskey and telling the people of the town what's good for them. 3 stooges it's a pity they didnt get drop kicked into the Shannon.

+1

Do these people get paid to be that thick?

• Advertisement

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    +1

Do these people get paid to be that thick?

F**k knows, disability allowance maybe by the looks of them.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    You said none in smart or expensive areas. There's one in Salthill in your town. Do some research before posting incorrect information.

Nothing was incorrect so stop trying to be a smartarse, it doesn't suit you.

I never said there was none in expensive areas, I was pointing out it wasn't left long in the expensive area and when was moved to a less affluent part of the city.

Get your facts straight before accusing me of something I didn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Remember that time far left goons were bussed into Rooskey to tell locals they are racist. They got ran out, refused service in all the pubs lol

Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

And when they cant win the argument they turn on the music and start dancing. Sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

The 3 idiots and their ilk really think small town country people are stupid and easily influenced so they come down to interfere / educate the local thicko's into their way of thinking. Right think.

The way they do this is to imply any of the locals who disagree that they are been influenced by the evil far right Nazis ( because .... you know.... local people can't make up their own minds ) and if that fails call everyone Nazis with the help and cooperation of the TV, print media and Government.

Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

And when they cant win the argument they turn on the music and start dancing. Sad.

Degenerates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The last few seconds of that video from the "musicians" is something you see out of Father Ted.

I have watched it twice over and laughed at that bit. And they are meant be the educated ones:pac:

statesaver wrote: »
    The 3 idiots and their ilk really think small town country people are stupid and easily influenced so they come down to interfere / educate the local thicko's into their way of thinking. Right think.

The way they do this is to imply any of the locals who disagree that they are been influenced by the evil far right Nazis ( because .... you know.... local people can't make up their own minds ) and if that fails call everyone Nazis with the help and cooperation of the TV, print media and Government.

Indeed, and that fella shouting at the woman and her daughter in the last few mins of the video was very aggressive, he was shown up for bell end that he is.

Indeed, and that fella shouting at the woman and her daughter in the last few mins of the video was very aggressive, he was shown up for bell end that he is.

Dave Lordan is his name. The butch oulwan with the cowboy hat is Ruth O'Rourke (changed her name to izzy kamikaze) for real!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

A lot of the liberal lefties TDs in this country are in Dublin constituencies.

If a huge new DPC was to open in their constituency, they'd be the first to protest and oppose it.

Not a suitable location, not humane on the migrants, etc is what they'd say. They are the ultimate NIMBYs, willing to impose anything on others but protest when it comes to their door.

Dublin is hugely under-represented when it comes to hosting DPCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

statesaver wrote: »
    call everyone Nazis with the help and cooperation of the TV, print media and Government.

Once you think that journalists are against you, then you are probably barking up the wrong tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

A lot of the liberal lefties TDs in this country are in Dublin constituencies.

If a huge new DPC was to open in their constituency, they'd be the first to protest and oppose it.

Not a suitable location, not humane on the migrants, etc is what they'd say. They are the ultimate NIMBYs, willing to impose anything on others but protest when it comes to their door.

Dublin is hugely under-represented when it comes to hosting DPCs.

Dublin is intentionally under-represented, despite the hundreds of asylum seekers in the county, for two straightforward reasons - firstly the pressure on accommodation provision in Dublin is greater than anywhere else in the country, with the highest costs involved, and secondly there was a policy to direct asylum seekers outside the capital to discourage casual claims. Most people want to be based in Dublin.

Having said all that - the NIMBYism you mention is notable by it’s absence. There have been asylum seekers housed all over the city, and not the sort of scaremongering seen in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,133 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The people of Oughterard organised a protest themselves without any assistance from outsiders. The people of Oughterard organised a meeting without any help from outsiders. The people who spoke at the meeting were all involved in the locality either as concerned residents or politicians.
    The media are trying to drowned out their complaints by running a story about looney right wingers. The media reported on the comments of a certain Mr Grealish but didn't report that he was asked to withdraw his comments by everybody else at the meeting. They likened the protesters to the French yellow vests.
    This is the same media that people are posting links to. We need new media in this country who actually report what is going on without an agenda.

m

eagle eye wrote: »
    The people of Oughterard organised a protest themselves without any assistance from outsiders. The people of Oughterard organised a meeting without any help from outsiders. The people who spoke at the meeting were all involved in the locality either as concerned residents or politicians.
    The media are trying to drowned out their complaints by running a story about looney right wingers. The media reported on the comments of a certain Mr Grealish but didn't report that he was asked to withdraw his comments by everybody else at the meeting. They likened the protesters to the French yellow vests.
    This is the same media that people are posting links to. We need new media in this country who actually report what is going on without an agenda.

They’re reporting the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

B0jangles wrote: »

So yeah, it seems everyone agrees that the protest at Oughterard was almost entirely generated as a far-right propoganda event.

How do you come to that conclusion? Because someone on da net says so?
    Please!

From the article.
    For the subsequent protest march, anonymous fliers were circulated advising marchers to bring Hi-Vis vests. In recent months, Hi-Vis vests have become the symbolic garment of far-right movements across Europe. There is no tradition of wearing Hi-Vis vests at protest marches in rural or urban Ireland.

The argument is a fallacy and false.

https://twitter.com/SineadNiN/status/1172827341074116608

I suppose these are all far-right activists in this video?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Again because of your just as deeply held position you point out the speck in other's eyes, but ignore the beam in your own. Both sides are using this as a political football, with the government willfully ignoring local people's questions.

From the above copypasta article by McHardcore, which you seem to have twice ignored: But locals remain angry about the issues raised – the lack of services, a belief that no background checks will be done on those who will come there if the project goes ahead, and the refusal of the State to involve locals.

If there is frustration with the far-right input, many in Oughterard are also angry with left-wing activists who they believe are trying to brand their town, and them, as racist.
    [emphasis mine in the vain hope you'll address it]

I think both of your highlighted points are fair. I don't believe the locals to be racist. Know many locals there. Unsure how they've reacted.

Had they objected to a smaller facility then I'd think otherwise re the locals. Larger facilities in larger towns would be preferable. I also don't think many Oughterard people would endorse the anti-immigration points here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Once you think that journalists are against you, then you are probably barking up the wrong tree.
    Not necessarily, journalists are rarely enough bias free and report as they see things, or how their editor, or publisher sees things. To take a UK example if the Guardian, the BBC, the Daily Mail and Sky News sent journalists along to this story, do you think they'd see, report and editorialise the same thing? They almost certainly wouldn't and it would be generally pretty easy to see who reported what without seeing a byline.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Wibbs wrote: »
    Again because of your just as deeply held position you point out the speck in other's eyes, but ignore the beam in your own. Both sides are using this as a political football, with the government willfully ignoring local people's questions.

This x1000

I don't understand the mindset that argues that on one hand, to be ware of these people on the net spreading falsehoods while believing stuff on the net wholesale because it conforms to their bias.

markodaly wrote: »

It is? You’re claiming that there IS a tradition of wearing hi-vis vests to protests here? One that predates the whole ‘yellow vest movement’?

The fallacy is pretending that the alt-****e don’t push for the vests so they can claim the protest as supporting their own agenda. Which is precisely what they’re doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

How do you come to that conclusion? Because someone on da net says so?
    Please!

From the article.

https://twitter.com/SineadNiN/status/1172827341074116608

I suppose these are all far-right activists in this video?

Beef farmers protesting outside the factories must all have been right wing racists too!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This x1000

I don't understand the mindset that argues that on one hand, to be ware of these people on the net spreading falsehoods while believing stuff on the net wholesale because it conforms to their bias.

You can't understand why news outlets like the BBC would be more believable than some anonymous poster on the internet?

Da Fuq?

:confused:

So, I made a request for information on a non-existent African gang that the courts and newspapers know nothing about but the guys here refer to.

And then you post an article about white guys attacking an Afghan immigrant.

A journalism major perchance?

Nothing was incorrect so stop trying to be a smartarse, it doesn't suit you.

I never said there was none in expensive areas, I was pointing out it wasn't left long in the expensive area and when was moved to a less affluent part of the city.

Get your facts straight before accusing me of something I didn't say.

You saying that Salthill isn't affluent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

The situation has been hijacked alright, by the media, NGOs and assorted activists.
    And the same have taken control of the narrative and offed a choice to the locals. Either accept you were 'duped' by the far right and state that you are not against the placing of hundreds of migrants in your community. Or continue to resist and be branded a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wibbling wonder

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I think both of your highlighted points are fair. I don't believe the locals to be racist. Know many locals there. Unsure how they've reacted.

Had they objected to a smaller facility then I'd think otherwise re the locals. Larger facilities in larger towns would be preferable. I also don't think many Oughterard people would endorse the anti-immigration points here.

I'm living here and can tell you that most of the people I speak to are frustrated and fearful. Frustrated at a broken process that allows people to profit significantly from the misfortune of others with no consultation into the introduction of a large number of people into a small community that doesn't have the services to support them. There's no doubt that there is scaremongering on both sides but in the absence of knowing how many asylum seekers might come and how they'll be made up (families or indviduals) locals are genuinely concerned. This isn't racism but of course we are being painted as such by some.

We've already gone on the record as saying that we are happy to facilitate much smaller numbers but where's the profit in that for the developer!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

alastair wrote: »
    Dublin is intentionally under-represented, despite the hundreds of asylum seekers in the county, for two straightforward reasons - firstly the pressure on accommodation provision in Dublin is greater than anywhere else in the country, with the highest costs involved, and secondly there was a policy to direct asylum seekers outside the capital to discourage casual claims. Most people want to be based in Dublin.

Having said all that - the NIMBYism you mention is notable by it’s absence. There have been asylum seekers housed all over the city, and not the sort of scaremongering seen in Galway.

Of course its absent. Because as I keep saying, Dublin does not have a significant number of DPCs and only 1 or 2.

There are a small number of asylum seekers housed in a city of 1.3 million people. If you want to do proportion, imagine if 250,000 asylum seekers were brought overnight to Dublin.

There's a big difference in bringing a small number of asylum seekers to a huge Dublin suburb or densely populated area, and bringing 250 people to a small town like Oughterard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement