Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    So, I made a request for information on a non-existent African gang that the courts and newspapers know nothing about but the guys here refer to.

And then you post an article about white guys attacking an Afghan immigrant.

A journalism major perchance?

Goodnews is a white man? https://www.google.com/amp/s/connachttribune.ie/four-face-trial-over-alleged-assault-in-eyre-square-112/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

alastair wrote: »
    Dublin is intentionally under-represented, despite the hundreds of asylum seekers in the county, for two straightforward reasons - firstly the pressure on accommodation provision in Dublin is greater than anywhere else in the country, with the highest costs involved, and secondly there was a policy to direct asylum seekers outside the capital to discourage casual claims. Most people want to be based in Dublin.

Having said all that - the NIMBYism you mention is notable by it’s absence. There have been asylum seekers housed all over the city, and not the sort of scaremongering seen in Galway.

Galway County not City. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Imagine living your life in your local community, only to be told one day that it's fundamentally being changed with the introduction of a huge amount of people from a totally different culture.

What a sad situation for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It is? You’re claiming that there IS a tradition of wearing hi-vis vests to protests here? One that predates the whole ‘yellow vest movement’?

The fallacy is pretending that the alt-****e don’t push for the vests so they can claim the protest as supporting their own agenda. Which is precisely what they’re doing.

An image from a water protests, from 2015...

7.jpg

https://twitter.com/GCraughwell/status/630007722591846400?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E630007722591846400&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thejournal.ie%2Fwater-protest-nenagh-2260326-Aug2015%2F

How do you like them apples?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Of course its absent. Because as I keep saying, Dublin does not have a significant number of DPCs and only 1 or 2.

There are a small number of asylum seekers housed in a city of 1.3 million people. If you want to do proportion, imagine if 250,000 asylum seekers were brought overnight to Dublin.

There's a big difference in bringing a small number of asylum seekers to a huge Dublin suburb or densely populated area, and bringing 250 people to a small town like Oughterard.

There are a large number of asylum seekers based in the city. Proportionally less, for the reasons stated above. But if you’re living close to asylum seekers, proportions don’t really matter, but still no real evidence of NIMBYism. Actual NIMBYism is evident in the Oughterard situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm living here and can tell you that most of the people I speak to are frustrated and fearful.

Probably like that family that were been terrorized.

What was it you said?

"Reap what you sow"?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Everything is about proportion. A small number of asylum seekers would be fine in a place like Oughterard. But 250 is not proportional.

The DPC system is broken and dodgy to say the least with significant profiteering for some people and no consultation with local people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boggles wrote: »
    You can't understand why news outlets like the BBC would be more believable than some anonymous poster on the internet?

Da Fuq?

:confused:
    I'd be far more inclined to believe a Reuters report as being bias free than an outlet like the BBC which over the last decade has been very much pushing a "liberal" politic. They're quite happy to state that too, from the controller down. If the Daily Mail is "right" wing, the BBC is most certainly "left". I would trust neither of them to be unbiased on certain matters. But just as you in general correctly accuse some posters of only seeing their side of the agenda, you think you're immune to yours?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

markodaly wrote: »
    How do you like them apples?

They’re lovely, but they don’t really tell us anything. They’re the exceptions rather than the rule. Most protests don’t employ yellow vests - so why would there be a push for them in this case?

You can't understand why news outlets like the BBC would be more believable than some anonymous poster on the internet?

Da Fuq?

:confused:

I didn't mention the BBC, I mentioned your own post which then attributed a blog post of some sorts as some authority on the subject, which I then dismantled.

Then you made some grand sweeping pronouncement about how 'everyone' knows such and such.

Here, have a fallacy card for your efforts.

tumblr_inline_pjz8mgaTNp1qbykcd_540.jpg

• Advertisement

I didn't mention the BBC, I mentioned your own post which then attributed a blog post of some sorts as some authority on the subject, which I then dismantled.

Then you made some grand sweeping pronouncement about how 'everyone' knows such and such.

Here, have a fallacy card for your efforts.

tumblr_inline_pjz8mgaTNp1qbykcd_540.jpg

:pac::pac::pac:

Everything is about proportion. A small number of asylum seekers would be fine in a place like Oughterard. But 250 is not proportional.

The DPC system is broken and dodgy to say the least with significant profiteering for some people and no consultation with local people.

There’s no consultation generally - because there’s no obligation for consultation. And no - it’s clearly not about proportionality. Did you kick up a stink when Mosney opened, on account of the density in that area? It’s entirely about NIMBYism.

WB Yokes wrote: »

A random fight in Eyre Square is evidence of an African gang? Any convictions arise or it not go to trial.

A racist attack on an Afghan guy is evidence of another white gang?

Random posts. And I still await this gang information. Better to tell me you have none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

They’re lovely, but they don’t really tell us anything. They’re the exceptions rather than the rule. Most protests don’t employ yellow vests - so why would there be a push for them in this case?

Most congregated walks, charity events, protests, good things, bad things and mediocre things come with yellow vests in Ireland. Because we have s***e roads. And people like to live. So they wear things so they can be seen more easily. Which is usually a yellow vest. Or else the all the people walking the prom in Salthill have a serious daily issue about something.

There are a large number of asylum seekers based in the city. Proportionally less, for the reasons stated above. But if you’re living close to asylum seekers, proportions don’t really matter, but still no real evidence of NIMBYism. Actual NIMBYism is evident in the Oughterard situation.

Have you a link or stats to back this up. I have and will post them, after you post yours. Are we talking thousands, tens of thousands?

Again, we will have to return to proportionality alastair and I will keep doing this until it sinks in with you what is being asked of the people of Oughterard.

Would you be ok with waking up on a Monday morning to find Dublin's population had increased overnight by 250,000? With all the implications that had for medical and education centres for example? Would you be fine with it?

The ultimate NIMBYs here are people like you - asking others to suck it up but coming up with lame excuses yourself if someone suggested a DPC in your neighbourhood. So much for everyone putting their shoulder to the wheel!

There's no DPC in your neighbourhood, therefore your opinion doesn't really matter. Come back to us where you have direct experience. And not experience of one asylum seeking family in a hotel in your neighbourhood, something incidently the people of Oughterard would have no issue with.

A random fight in Eyre Square is evidence of an African gang? Any convictions arise or it not go to trial.

Random posts. And I still await this gang information. Better to tell me you have none.

https://connachttribune.ie/man-jailed-for-racially-motivated-attack-in-broad-daylight-400/

I posted this already. He was jailed. Even the article refers to it as a "gang". Not sure how much more you want. As per your previous promise you can leave this thread with your head held high knowing you've made a massive impact on the lives of the people who post here.

Ah, so there is a history of wearing Hi-Vis vests in Irish protests before the Yellow Vest protests.

Therefore my point is true and stands.
    You moving of the goalposts now is weak to say the least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Would you be ok with waking up on a Monday morning to find Dublin's population had increased overnight by 250,000? With all the implications that had for medical and education centres for example? Would you be fine with it?
    Actually chances are high people of this politic would indeed claim to be OK with this, well so long as the numbers involved were not of Irish ethnicity. For their diversity fetish hit. Like that eejit of a Dublin city manager type that was on RTE a few months back reporting that the north inner city now had a minority of ethnic Irish living there and this was a great thing. There's a sniff of self loathing of their own ethnicity among some of them. You know the types that seem to drool over the idea that one day all the people's of earth will be brown people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I never made any claims about a black gang. I'm just pointing out your mistake.

https://connachttribune.ie/man-jailed-for-racially-motivated-attack-in-broad-daylight-400/

I posted this already. He was jailed. Even the article refers to it as a "gang". Not sure how much more you want.
    Ahh diversity is our strength.

• Advertisement

I posted this already. He was jailed. Even the article refers to it as a "gang". Not sure how much more you want. As per your previous promise you can leave this thread with your head held high knowing you've made a massive impact on the lives of the people who post here.

A group of four people will automatically be referred to by Gardai as a gang. Four kids getting into a fight as is clear from the article. Not to be condoned but not organised crime.

Is this really the organised 'gang' terrorising Galway City that nobody here knows anything about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Imagine living your life in your local community, only to be told one day that it's fundamentally being changed with the introduction of a huge amount of people from a totally different culture.

What a sad situation for everyone involved.

If it was actually good for the community we can only imagine the amount of prior discussions and fanfaring.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd be far more inclined to believe a Reuters report as being bias free than an outlet like the BBC which over the last decade has been very much pushing a "liberal" politic. They're quite happy to state that too, from the controller down. If the Daily Mail is "right" wing, the BBC is most certainly "left". I would trust neither of them to be unbiased on certain matters. But just as you in general correctly accuse some posters of only seeing their side of the agenda, you think you're immune to yours?

Utter nonsense.

The BBC are universally regarded as one of the most trusted news sources on the planet.

The Daily Mail is a gutter rag who has an editorial policy of weighing up the potential payout on a BS story with how much they will make on it.

Even Trumps wife has sued them.

Seathrun66 wrote:
    A group of four people will automatically be referred to by Gardai as a gang. Four kids getting into a fight as is clear from the article. Not to be condoned but not organised crime.

Seathrun66 wrote:
    Is this really the organised 'gang' terrorising Galway City that nobody here knows anything about?

So you can now back this up by showing me the link where they are not a gang. Thanks.

Have you a link or stats to back this up. I have and will post them, after you post yours. Are we talking thousands, tens of thousands?

Again, we will have to return to proportionality alastair and I will keep doing this until it sinks in with you what is being asked of the people of Oughterard.

The ultimate NIMBYs here are people like you - asking others to suck it up but coming up with lame excuses yourself if someone suggested a DPC in your neighbourhood. So much for everyone putting their shoulder to the wheel!

There's no DPC in your neighbourhood, therefore your opinion doesn't really matter. Come back to us where you have direct experience. And not experience of one asylum seeking family in a hotel in your neighbourhood, something incidently the people of Oughterard would have no issue with.

As stated before - there are loads of asylum seekers in my locality. And the impact of 250,000 people on Dublin is in no way proportional to 250 in Oughterard. Your supposed concerns relate to school places and GP pressure. That’s essentially it. The telling point is that the new housing estate permission didn’t prompt any such panic on either front. Strange that.

Ah, so there is a history of wearing Hi-Vis vests in Irish protests before the Yellow Vest protests.

Therefore my point is true and stands.
    You moving of the goalposts now is weak to say the least.

There is no tradition of wearing yellow vests. That’s the case. Your point doesn’t stand. I can throw up hundreds of protests sans yellow vests, but you already know that’s true.

As stated before - there are loads of asylum seekers in my locality. And the impact of 250,000 people on Dublin is in no way proportional to 250 in Oughterard. Your supposed concerns relate to school places and GP pressure. That’s essentially it. The telling point is that the new housing estate permission didn’t prompt any such panic on either front. Strange that.

Yeh right. You aren't giving your location or providing any stats to back it up. I guess you aren't interested in providing stats yourself, and depend on others to provide them.

Here's the stats from 2018

http://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/reception-conditions/housing/types-accommodation

Emergency Accommodation Beds

According to RIA statistics as of October 2018, emergency accommodation was available in five hotels:
    Capacity and occupancy of Emergency Accommodation Beds: October 2018
    Centre
    Capacity
    Occupancy at 28 Oct 2018
    Cavan (Dun Na Ri House Hotel)
    Monaghan (Westernra Hotel)
    Monaghan (Lisanisk House Hotel)
    Monaghan (Treacy’s Hotel)
    Wicklow (The Grand Hotel)
    Total

So not a single asylum seeker was housed in a hotel in Dublin at that point in October 2018. It may have changed since but unlikely to be significant. Maybe someone has the latest stats to hand?

So again, Dublin accommodate a miniscule number of Asylum seekers in proportion to its population and just in general. And as you said, they were moved out of Dublin to discourage casual applications because most wanted to live in Dublin. Its almost like I dunno, Dublin doesn't want them ;) It couldn't by NIMBYISM now could it?

Yeh right. You aren't giving your location or providing any stats to back it up. I guess you aren't interested in providing stats yourself, and depend on others to provide them.

http://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/reception-conditions/housing/types-accommodation

According to RIA statistics as of October 2018, emergency accommodation was available in five hotels:
    Centre
    Capacity
    Occupancy at 28 Oct 2018
    Total

So not a single asylum seeker was housed in a hotel in Dublin at that point in October 2018. It may have changed since but unlikely to be significant. Maybe someone has the latest stats to hand?

So again, Dublin accommodate a miniscule number of Asylum seekers in proportion to its population and just in general. And as you said, they were moved out of Dublin to discourage casual applications because most wanted to live in Dublin. Its almost like I dunno, Dublin doesn't want them ;) It couldn't by NIMBYISM now could it?

North inner city he says. A neighbour of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Utter nonsense.

The BBC are universally regarded as one of the most trusted news sources on the planet.

The Daily Mail is a gutter rag who has an editorial policy of weighing up the potential payout on a BS story with how much they will make on it.

Even Trumps wife has sued them.

The bbc are really resting on those laurels though, the op-ed pieces are becoming increasingly left leaning and its practically a running joke now that they reffer to muslim terrorists as ‘asian men’ whenever something happens.

• Advertisement

Centre
    Capacity
    Occupancy at 28 Oct 2018
    Total

I gave my location. And there are literally hundreds of asylum seekers currently housed in just two hotels in Dublin, so your references are pretty poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement