Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Out of curiousity, are there any counties in Ireland that *don't* have a DP centre nowadays?

I feel like they are literally everywhere I look.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Out of curiousity, are there any counties in Ireland that *don't* have a DP centre nowadays?

I feel like they are literally everywhere I look.

I believe 17 counties have DP centres, so yes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

alastair wrote: »
    I gave my location. And there are literally hundreds of asylum seekers currently housed in just two hotels in Dublin, so your references are pretty poor.

Again, have you a link that supports this? It may be true, it may not be.

Even if it was true, that's hundreds out of a population of 1.3 million. Hardly a disproportionate number now is it?

Again, have you a link that supports this? It may be true, it may not be.

Even if it was true, that's hundreds out of a population of 1.3 million. Hardly a disproportionate number now is it?

There are 245 asylum seekers in the Clondalkin Towers Hotel alone - nearly a quarter of asylum seekers in emergency provision nationally. Also Swords Clayton Hotel, Liffey Valley Clayton Hotel, and the Ballsbridge Hotel (yes - in D4).

Who is making a claim the numbers are proportionate? I’ve already explained why there is a policy of dispersing asylum seekers outside the capital. But spare this Dublin NIMBY nonsense - there are loads of asylum seekers resident in the city, despite this policy.

Now Oughterard has a growth plan, signed off as part of the Galway County Development plan, which allows for residential growth of up to 50% over a base of a population of 1,209. Which would suggest that growth planning should allow for 250 additional residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Boggles wrote: »
    The BBC are universally regarded as one of the most trusted news sources on the planet.

their editorial bias matches your own politics but its still a bias.

• Advertisement

Who is making a claim the numbers are proportionate? I’ve already explained why there is a policy of dispersing asylum seekers outside the capital. But spare this Dublin NIMBY nonsense - there are loads of asylum seekers resident in the city, despite this policy.

Now Oughterard has a growth plan, signed off as part of the Galway County Development plan, which allows for residential growth of up to 50% over a base of a population of 1,209. Which would suggest that growth planning should allow for 250 additional residents.

You are comparing the overnight creation of a virtual prison of 250 people with long term proper planning and gradual population increase?

I doubt the migrants want to be in Oughterard, the majority of Oughterard people clearly don't want it. Its a bad idea in the wrong area. Its dictatorship at its worst, almost Stalinist.

You don't understand NIMBYISM despite throwing the accusation around like confetti. Most NIMBYs aren't against something if its in proportion. So a Dublin NIMBY wouldn't be against a small housing estate in the their area for example. They would be against a massive and overwhelming apartment complex of hundreds of new residents that would ruin or destroy the visual impact of the area, affect their own property values, ruin their privacy and so on.

You accept that NIMBYism is a huge problem in Dublin in relation to many issues, drug treatment centres, new apartment complexes, tall buildings, etc?

You are comparing the overnight creation of a virtual prison of 250 people with long term proper planning and gradual population increase?

I doubt the migrants want to be in Oughterard, the majority of Oughterard people clearly don't want it. Its a bad idea in the wrong area. Its dictatorship at its worst, almost Stalinist.

You don't understand NIMBYISM despite throwing the accusation around like confetti. Most NIMBYs aren't against something if its in proportion. So a Dublin NIMBY wouldn't be against a small housing estate in the their area for example. They would be against a massive and overwhelming apartment complex of hundreds of new residents that would ruin or destroy the visual impact of the area, affect their own property values, ruin their privacy and so on.

You accept that NIMBYism is a huge problem in Dublin in relation to many issues, drug treatment centres, new apartment complexes, tall buildings, etc?

We’re talking about asylum seeker NIMBYism. You made the claim that this was an issue in Dublin. I’m pointing out that there hasn’t been a significant problem on that front. There’s precisely zero evidence that 250 asylum seekers in a Oughterard will ruin anything. Love the whole Stalin vibe, but it’s not making any more of case for you. You didn’t get to veto the hotel residents before, so why should you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

So you can now back this up by showing me the link where they are not a gang. Thanks.

You understand what an organised criminal gang is? As opposed to a few lads getting into a ruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There is no tradition of wearing yellow vests. That’s the case. Your point doesn’t stand. I can throw up hundreds of protests sans yellow vests, but you already know that’s true.

Yes, there is. I just showed you pictures of protests with people wearing those yellow vest from 4 years ago.

markodaly wrote: »
    Yes, there is. I just showed you pictures of protests with people wearing those yellow vest from 4 years ago.

And again - that’s an illustration of the exception, not the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    How so?

And links please on any convictions relating to an African gang in Galway? You get any crime or court information from an Irish print media source on such a gang and I'll leave the thread. Hint - there's nothing.
    You understand what an organised criminal gang is? As opposed to a few lads getting into a ruck.

You asked for conviction. Check.
    You asked fro African. Check
    You asked for Gang. Check.
    You said you would leave the thread. Only one box left to tick off.

And again - that’s an illustration of the exception, not the norm.

tenor.gif?itemid=9264828

markodaly wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=9264828

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111323645&postcount=1645

You know i’m right. Do you really want dozens of photos of water protesters sans vests? There isn’t a tradition off wearing the things to protests. We both know that to be true.

You asked for conviction. Check.
    You asked fro African. Check
    You asked for Gang. Check.
    You said you would leave the thread. Only one box left to tick off.

Confirmation that boy is African not Irish of African hetitage?
    Nationality of three other youths?
    Organised gang information?

You simply don't have any.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Confirmation that boy is African not Irish?

His name is Goodnews ffs cop yourself on.

WB Yokes wrote: »
    His name is Goodnews ffs cop yourself on.

African or Irish of African heritage?

And the other three lads?

Confirmation that boy is African not Irish of African hetitage?
    Nationality of three other youths?
    Organised gang information?

You simply don't have any.

From the article.

Sgt McNulty confirmed the accused had four previous convictions for assault, trespass and public order offences. He said he was of Nigerian descent and was now a naturalised Irish citizen.

He said the accused was a prominent member of this gang and that the others were facing sentence in July.

You know i’m right.

No, I really do not. You can believe what you like about your own higher powers of reason and morality all you want. But no, you are not correct.

We’re talking about asylum seeker NIMBYism. You made the claim that this was an issue in Dublin. I’m pointing out that there hasn’t been a significant problem on that front. There’s precisely zero evidence that 250 asylum seekers in a Oughterard will ruin anything. Love the whole Stalin vibe, but it’s not making any more of case for you. You didn’t get to veto the hotel residents before, so why should you now?

Which do you think has more impact on an area?

A couple hundred migrants in a city of 1.3 million?
    or
    A couple hundred migrants in a town of 1,300?

The impact on the first would be miniscule, hardly noticeable as you said yourself.

The impact on the second would be massive. The whole character of the town would be changed. And Oughterard, a town know for being scenic, peaceful, quiet, etc would be forever known as the location of a huge direct provision centre, basically a prison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

From the article.

Sgt McNulty confirmed the accused had four previous convictions for assault, trespass and public order offences. He said he was of Nigerian descent and was now a naturalised Irish citizen.

He said the accused was a prominent member of this gang and that the others were facing sentence in July.

Apparently he "f*cks with the the K-side gang" loooool

• Advertisement

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111323645&postcount=1645

You know i’m right. Do you really want dozens of photos of water protesters sans vests? There isn’t a tradition off wearing the things to protests. We both know that to be true.

Of course there isn't.

https://www.google.com/search?q=beef+plan+protests&sxsrf=ACYBGNQGRQRO42KxHanhuEFNsWOAnBMBLA:1569243442642&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwikyNuv_-bkAhUkt3EKHSbkBioQ_AUIESgB&biw=1787&bih=967&dpr=0.94

:rolleyes:

From the article.

An obviously bad lad. But in an organised gang rather than a gang of kids in the square in the early afternoon? Won't miss him being around but don't pass off random violence as organised crime.

And the three other youths from where?

If an organised African gang was operating in the city don't you think the media would seize on it? Particularly those opposed to integration.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 Dodgy Lou

The people of Ougtherard don't want hundreds of migrants dumped on them. Why don't the dickhead politicians and the 'liberals' accept this?

An obviously bad lad. But in an organised gang rather than a gang of kids in the square in the early afternoon? Won't miss him being around but don't pass off random violence as organised crime.

And the three other youths from where?

If an organised African gang was operating in the city don't you think the media would seize on it? Particularly those opposed to integration.

https://theworldnews.net/ie-news/four-face-trial-over-alleged-assault-in-eyre-square

The other gentleman was Mourthada Badiane (23). Two brothers couldn't be named for legal reason. And not kids. Adults. Go to Eyre Square playground around 3am on a weekend night and you'll meet some of his other cronies and see what they do for fun. But being from Galway I'm sure you know full well what goes on down there. I've dealt with this lovely "gentleman" in my line of work and gang would be a very good way to describe them. But I know you hate unproven information. So as thing stands we have a news article to show a convicted criminal from Africa along with his buddies being called a gang by a member of our police force. When you can disprove this with evidence we can discuss this further. Until then be a man/woman of your word and leave the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,133 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So here we have it. You never mentioned organised crime. Any crime report in Irish media. One is found which actually mentions the word gang and you are still here waffling away and moving the goalposts.
    We know what we are dealing with now.
    Seathrun66 wrote:
    And links please on any convictions relating to an African gang in Galway? You get any crime or court information from an Irish print media source on such a gang and I'll leave the thread. Hint - there's nothing.

Seathrun66 wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There are a few posters around here, who coincidentally all are on one side of this debate, that appear to adopt the same debating style.

Response 1:
    demand facts, documentation, sources to back up any point countrary to theirs.

The irony here is they are willing to accept any type of old shyte, usually sans documents, from the very people they want to dump on communities throughout country. :rolleyes:

Response 2:
    ridicule any sources presented whilst at the same time presenting their own dubious non impartial sources.

Response 3:
    pick on anything within the post which could then be used to deflect argument or possibly be used to discredit larger point.

Deflection is one of the "go to methods" to be used.

Response 4:
    never ever respond when asked a difficult straight question or one that highlights an inconvenient truth.

Response 5:
    insult and belittle opposing posters to try and get reaction leading to demand for an infraction or ban.

Basically shut down the opposition and remove right to give counter argument.

I would bet with some certainty the most vociferous posters for the ayslum seekers/refugees/migrants are in fact part of that very industry.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

jmayo wrote: »

I would bet with some certainty the most vociferous posters for the ayslum seekers/refugees/migrants are in fact part of that very industry.

Yawn.

You disagree with me therefore you must be a vested interest.

Change the record for fúck sake lad, it's boring.

There is a chance and I know this may come as a shock to you, but people may disagree with you because you are talking complete bollix.

Sure if you could consider the possibility it would be something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boggles wrote: »
    There is a chance and I know this may come as a shock to you, but people may disagree with you because you are talking complete bollix.

Sure if you could consider the possibility it would be something.
    Oh I fully believe in that possibility, nay consider it a strong probability.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

jmayo wrote: »
    There are a few posters around here, who coincidentally all are on one side of this debate, that appear to adopt the same debating style.

Response 1:
    demand facts, documentation, sources to back up any point countrary to theirs.

The irony here is they are willing to accept any type of old shyte, usually sans documents, from the very people they want to dump on communities throughout country. :rolleyes:

Response 2:
    ridicule any sources presented whilst at the same time presenting their own dubious non impartial sources.

Response 3:
    pick on anything within the post which could then be used to deflect argument or possibly be used to discredit larger point.

Deflection is one of the "go to methods" to be used.

Response 4:
    never ever respond when asked a difficult straight question or one that highlights an inconvenient truth.

Response 5:
    insult and belittle opposing posters to try and get reaction leading to demand for an infraction or ban.

Basically shut down the opposition and remove right to give counter argument.

Agreed, especially about Response 4. When they are caught telling a lie, you will find they disappear until things quieten down or its forgotten about, and they return later to stir the pot some more. I don't believe they are one and the same person, but I do believe they suffer from groupthink with little variation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You saying that Salthill isn't affluent?

How many times do you need this explained to you?

The link I was responding to was about Dublin and a DP centre that was quickly moved to Ballymun, at no point in my post did I say there was no centres in affluent areas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement