Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

jmayo wrote: »
    There are a few posters around here, who coincidentally all are on one side of this debate, that appear to adopt the same debating style.....

I would bet with some certainty the most vociferous posters for the ayslum seekers/refugees/migrants are in fact part of that very industry.

100% and from post #1593:

EsQzVME.png

This one poster admits to being fully invested in the idea. So highly likely has some fiscal risk, and more likely/importantly 'profit-reward' in this multi-million euro industry.
    His best repsonse to me so far, was to meticulously search for typos (diversion tactic). However, they made a typo last night themselves, whoops!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

https://theworldnews.net/ie-news/four-face-trial-over-alleged-assault-in-eyre-square

The other gentleman was Mourthada Badiane (23). Two brothers couldn't be named for legal reason. And not kids. Adults. Go to Eyre Square playground around 3am on a weekend night and you'll meet some of his other cronies and see what they do for fun. But being from Galway I'm sure you know full well what goes on down there. I've dealt with this lovely "gentleman" in my line of work and gang would be a very good way to describe them. But I know you hate unproven information. So as thing stands we have a news article to show a convicted criminal from Africa along with his buddies being called a gang by a member of our police force. When you can disprove this with evidence we can discuss this further. Until then be a man/woman of your word and leave the thread.

17 & 18 are pretty young to me. School-going age. Hence the reason they were likely in Eyre Sq at 1.30pm where schoolkids gather at lunchtime.

Other two were 19 and 23, not kids, though the former may have been attending school.

In terms of facts you have one lad of Nigerian descent, another (going by name) of Senegalese descent. Two others we know nothing about.
    As before when there's any sort of group the Gardai will refer to them as a gang.

The poster here talked about an organised African gang terrorising the locals. and you show me one convicted guy of Nigerian descent. That ain't an African gang and they ain't terrorising the locals or you'd be seeing reports on it in the right-wing element of the press.

Anecdotal information not accepted.

So come on, do some proper forensic work and give me details on an African gang.

eagle eye wrote: »
    So here we have it. You never mentioned organised crime. Any crime report in Irish media. One is found which actually mentions the word gang and you are still here waffling away and moving the goalposts.
    We know what we are dealing with now.

One conviction of a lad of Nigerian descent and you think that's proof of the mythical African gang in Galway. The organised gang that no paper has ever reported on. The poster provides a link to a court report on a lunchtime street fight and that's proof of an organised African gang in Galway.

Another journalism major perhaps?

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Ah go away, they were exposed trying to stitch up Tommy Robinson and the whole organisation came under review but you know that as you post in the TR thread enough.

The convicted criminal and convicted fraudster Tommy Robinson? That Tommy Robinson?

How many times do you need this explained to you?

The link I was responding to was about Dublin and a DP centre that was quickly moved to Ballymun, at no point in my post did I say there was no centres in affluent areas.

The prior poster you agreed with stated that DPCs were not located in wealthy areas. You said that it was not unusual that the Killiney one was moved to Ballymun rather than a posh area.

I pointed out that the Galway DPC is in a posh area. Are you disputing that? And are you disputing that other DPCs are also in wealthy areas?

• Advertisement

EsQzVME.png

This one poster admits to being fully invested in the idea. So highly likely has some fiscal risk, and more likely/importantly 'profit-reward' in this multi-million euro industry.
    His best repsonse to me so far, was to meticulously search for typos (diversion tactic). However, they made a typo last night themselves, whoops!

You seem to have a real crush on me. But that's fine, I get that sometimes. also nice of you to attribute some involvement in a multi-million industry to me, should inspire me to get involved.

And you're being pulled on typos simply due to your reactionary criticism of the skill and intellectual level of refugees. Best not to diss them and be unable to spell or structure your sentences. Not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Seathrun66 wrote: »

The newcomers to Ireland are on the way to becoming embedded here. And I'll do everything I can to help them do so. We ain't going back to a monotheist, monocultural past lads. Get used to it.

In an earlier post of yours you said you just wanted to help people who were in need, which sounded pretty lame and insincere. I was going to point out what I think really motivates anarchists like you but you've saved me the trouble.
    Boggles wrote: »
    Utter nonsense.

The BBC are universally regarded as one of the most trusted news sources on the planet.

I'm sure Cliff Richard thinks so to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

17 & 18 are pretty young to me. School-going age. Hence the reason they were likely in Eyre Sq at 1.30pm where schoolkids gather at lunchtime.

Other two were 19 and 23, not kids, though the former may have been attending school.

In terms of facts you have one lad of Nigerian descent, another (going by name) of Senegalese descent. Two others we know nothing about.
    As before when there's any sort of group the Gardai will refer to them as a gang.

The poster here talked about an organised African gang terrorising the locals. and you show me one convicted guy of Nigerian descent. That ain't an African gang and they ain't terrorising the locals or you'd be seeing reports on it in the right-wing element of the press.

Anecdotal information not accepted.

So come on, do some proper forensic work and give me details on an African gang.

Evidence they aren't?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The prior poster you agreed with stated that DPCs were not located in wealthy areas. You said that it was not unusual that the Killiney one was moved to Ballymun rather than a posh area.

I pointed out that the Galway DPC is in a posh area. Are you disputing that? And are you disputing that other DPCs are also in wealthy areas?

To be honest, its located in probably the most run down area of salthill. There are few houses around it, just pubs and fast food outlets, so property values will not be impacted. The population of Salthill overall is in the thousands, so you'd hardly notice it there. And to be fair I don't think there has been any protests over it.

Its a different issue to Oughterard, where a large DPC would be far more noticeable and out of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

...Also nice of you to attribute some involvement in a multi-million industry to me, should inspire me to get involved.

Clearly you're already well involved.
    Not a good look for you to start deny it now is it.
    And you're being pulled on typos simply due to your reactionary criticism of the skill and intellectual level of refugees illegal economic migrants.
    Nevermind skill and intellectual levels, why not try running an elementary spell check on the lads jumping out of trucks in Laois or Galway, off the coast of Libya, or running up the beaches of Spain.

Chances are somewhat slim, if you're assuming they're all Doctors and Engineers, who could otherwise likely obtain a work visa.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    In an earlier post of yours you said you just wanted to help people who were in need, which sounded pretty lame and insincere. I was going to point out what I think really motivates anarchists like you but you've saved me the trouble.

So I'm an anarchist now? And a DPC profiteer? A rare combination so I'll give you kudos for that.

Clearly you're already well involved.
    Not a good look for you to start deny it now is it.

Nevermind skill and intellectual levels, why not try running an elementary spell check on the lads jumping out of trucks in Laois or Galway, off the coast of Libya, or running up the beaches of Spain.

Chances are somewhat slim, if you're assuming they're all Doctors and Engineers, who could otherwise likely obtain a work visa.

If you say so. You've proved your intellectual superiority to refugees here so I've got to bow to your forensic examination of my career choices.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

AllForIt wrote: »
    Well whatever about the hounding of Richard, the BBC has an entire wiki page dedicated to criticism of its politics down the years. On this particular matter: In July 2013, a report[35] commissioned by the BBC Trust found that the organisation had been slow to reflect widespread public concerns about immigration to the UK, and shifts in public attitudes within the UK towards the European Union. The report, by Stuart Prebble, stated that Helen Boaden, the former director of BBC News, had said that when she arrived at the organisation there had been a "deep liberal bias" in the handling of immigration issues. It also stated that, within the BBC, "the agenda of debate is probably too driven by the views of politicians", but that "overall the breadth of opinion reflected by the BBC on this subject is broad and impressive, and no persuasive evidence was found that significant areas of opinion are not given due weight today." It also stated that the BBC was "slow to give appropriate prominence to the growing weight of opinion opposing UK membership of the EU, but in more recent times has achieved a better balance".[36][37]

That a former director of their news dept. would say that says much of the political environment at the organisation. It seems to ebb and flow depending on section heads, but only the most blinkered would claim the BBC is not slanted towards a "liberal" bias over the last decade.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wibbs wrote: »
    but only the most blinkered would claim the BBC is not slanted towards a "liberal" bias over the last decade.

Point remains as a news source it is up there as the most reliable and most trusted on the planet.

Comparing it with the likes of Daily Mail is moronic in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Which do you think has more impact on an area?

A couple hundred migrants in a city of 1.3 million?
    or
    A couple hundred migrants in a town of 1,300?

The impact on the first would be miniscule, hardly noticeable as you said yourself.

The impact on the second would be massive. The whole character of the town would be changed. And Oughterard, a town know for being scenic, peaceful, quiet, etc would be forever known as the location of a huge direct provision centre, basically a prison.

It’s a lower number of people than would be housed in the new estate plans.
    Scenery isn’t going to change, peacefulness shouldn’t change, and being known for hosting a DP centre has, so far, proven to be no impediment to any other spot in the country.

How many times do you need this explained to you?

The link I was responding to was about Dublin and a DP centre that was quickly moved to Ballymun, at no point in my post did I say there was no centres in affluent areas.

It wasn’t quickly moved. It was an emergency centre for more than a year. When a custom-built centre (Baleskin) came on line, they were moved there.

EsQzVME.png

Conspiracy theories are always a winner. 🙄

So I'm an anarchist now? And a DPC profiteer? A rare combination so I'll give you kudos for that.

I personally don't believe you are either an anarchist or DPC profiteer just of a liberal persuasion.

There are many liberal TDs in Dublin for example. Virtually all of them are among the first to protest when the latest drug treatment, caravan halting site, or high rise apartment complex comes to their area. And you rarely see any of these features in the leafy suburbs and D4 areas. But they will usually couch it in terms such as "there's a Georgian building within half a mile, or traffic will increase, or the area will be impacted visually".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Actually he said was in the area but was now gone, I said it wasn't there for very long before it was moved, you really need to go back and read what was actually said you're just making yourself look foolish now so stop digging.

As for Salthill I never disputed anything about it's location at all and for the third and final time I never said there were no DP centres in wealthy areas.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    There isn’t.

You didn't bother opening the link then to see hundreds of photos of beef protesters in high viz jackets?

I don't know what you have against high viz jackets! Anyone walking or protesting on a public road is wise to wear them to prevent accidents.

It wasn’t quickly moved. It was an emergency centre for more than a year. When a custom-built centre (Baleskin) came on line, they were moved there.

It was moved though.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well whatever about the hounding of Richard, the BBC has an entire wiki page dedicated to criticism of its politics down the years. On this particular matter: In July 2013, a report[35] commissioned by the BBC Trust found that the organisation had been slow to reflect widespread public concerns about immigration to the UK, and shifts in public attitudes within the UK towards the European Union. The report, by Stuart Prebble, stated that Helen Boaden, the former director of BBC News, had said that when she arrived at the organisation there had been a "deep liberal bias" in the handling of immigration issues. It also stated that, within the BBC, "the agenda of debate is probably too driven by the views of politicians", but that "overall the breadth of opinion reflected by the BBC on this subject is broad and impressive, and no persuasive evidence was found that significant areas of opinion are not given due weight today." It also stated that the BBC was "slow to give appropriate prominence to the growing weight of opinion opposing UK membership of the EU, but in more recent times has achieved a better balance".[36][37]

That a former director of their news dept. would say that says much of the political environment at the organisation. It seems to ebb and flow depending on section heads, but only the most blinkered would claim the BBC is not slanted towards a "liberal" bias over the last decade.

The funny thing about the BBC, although not funny for victims, is they wouldn't touch stories for years that showed Jimmy Saville in a poor light and allowed him continue to his death and beyond as a national icon.
    But they hounded Cliff Richards and other innocent people, some to their graves. Disgraceful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Its worth noting also that the Baleskin centre is in the middle of nowhere. No residents in the vicinity nor anything else for that matter. 2 buses a day pass it.

I personally don't believe you are either an anarchist or DPC profiteer just of a liberal persuasion.

There are many liberal TDs in Dublin for example. Virtually all of them are among the first to protest when the latest drug treatment, caravan halting site, or high rise apartment complex comes to their area. And you rarely see any of these features in the leafy suburbs and D4 areas. But they will usually couch it in terms such as "there's a Georgian building within half a mile that might be impacted, or traffic will increase, or the area will be impacted visually".

I’m not sure who you believe these liberal TD’s to be, but there are halting sites in leafy suburbs all over the city. The Carrickmines one that had the terrible fire is in a very leafy and desirable location for instance. High rise apartments are constrained to very limited locations in the city - but not by ‘liberal TD’s’ - rather by a legacy of very constrained planning permission in the city council. Drug centres are all located in the city centre, but Finian McGrath (is he one of the liberals?) has been lobbying for a clinic in his own constituency. So not really compelling stuff.

It was moved though.

The people were, yes, after a year. To a new custom built centre, rather than an ad-hoc location.

You didn't bother opening the link then to see hundreds of photos of beef protesters in high viz jackets?

I don't know what you have against high viz jackets! Anyone walking or protesting on a public road is wise to wear them to prevent accidents.

Once again - I could post up hundreds of pics of protesters not wearing hi-vis, because that was the norm. But we both know that is the fact of the matter.

The funny thing about the BBC is, although not funny for victims, is they wouldn't touch stories for years that showed Jimmy Saville in a poor light and allowed him continue to his death and beyond as a national icon.
    But they hounded Cliff Richards and other innocent people, some to their graves. Disgraceful.

I must have imagined that whole Louis Theroux programme in 2000 then.

The people were, yes, after a year. To a new custom built centre, rather than an ad-hoc location.

"Custom built centre" - So why are they not building more in Dublin? There is plenty of public land lying around. They could use some of the religious land from church restitution.

They could use the Thorntan Hall site, owned by the state and lying dormant. Much of the infrastructure is there already.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/officials-dont-know-what-to-do-with-empty-prison-site-after-50m-outlay-30988433.html

Dublin should be doing more and in proportion to its population instead of the problem being shunted somewhere else. Its not like this is a short term problem.

Nope, there is a very strong whiff of NIMBYism coming from the reluctance to build more centres in Dublin.

• Advertisement

I must have imagined that whole Louis Theroux programme in 2000 then.

And what did that achieve? Police investigation? Conviction?

Or just Theroux making some snide remarks but overall giving Saville a free pass?

The latter clearly.

We know that people complained for decades to the BBC, most of his producers and colleagues knew what he was like and they did nothing.

In any case its a separate issue. In summary the BBC are as flawed as anyone and far from perfect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement