Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

BumperD wrote: »
    I challenged the poster on something very specific. The issue I had is I know 100% what was stated was completely inaccurate. It’s like if it’s written down it must be true . Blurring facts with half truths or complete nonsense or lies. The poster seems to believe spouting random posts here whether true or not will be believed. It won’t. There are some very serious issues affecting not just Galway, these centers, but the country as a whole. And spreading misinformation won’t make them go away.

The truth catches up eventually, however uncomfortable that truth is. There is no national meaningful integration policy in Ireland. It’s outsourced to some private sector owners of hotels, a few NFP, and so on.

Oughterard people are decent and have genuine concerns. They haven’t been infiltrated by any right wing conspiracy. They have real concerns and I’m glad they are discussing them in open. That’s what any normal democratic society should do, not be silenced or have people get hung up on one word a political figure ushered at a rally.

I hope the debate becomes more open. I’m all for diversity etc but controlled and not this “slide them in the back door under cover of darkness and hope to add 25% to the population of Oughterard overnight and see what happens “.

That’s just wrong. Very wrong.

Stuff about mythical African gangs running rampage in Galway just isn't true. The press don't miss that stuff. It's sensationalist and sells papers.

And I agree about the people of Oughterard, have friends and family there.

What I object to is people here demonising Refugees and people from elsewhere. It just ain't cool. Has happened to us as a nation when we've gone abroad so we should have learned from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Stuff about mythical African gangs running rampage in Galway just

Yet .

It's happening else where - the issues start whatever people try to discuss anything that involves African gangs or scams or whatever ,
    Posters come along and label everyone as racist trying to shut down any discussion using censorship .

No, he wouldn't fit in with my poker buddies

Why not? His yearly earnings are in eight figures. He'd be a good scalp for some decent card sharks.

Only if they're actually employed, indications aren't good for them in the 2030's.

Or us.

Nevermind here, she's no longer a popular figure even in her native Germany lol. Following her devastating defeat in Berlin state elections. She also gave indications of regret "If I could, I would turn back the time by many, many years." she said, at a news conference in Berlin, following the defeat.

I think we could all do with knocking a few years off.

You mean the time, cost and human advantage (for selfish economic gain) taken over the actual genuine cases?
    There's really not much to be joyous about when it appears so many have attemped to scam authorities.

Therein lies the rub. Will always have false claims. Internationally legally obliged to do it. And for good reason. Down to the government to do it properly and more speedily. As other posters and I have previously stated here.

Do you feel nothing for the poor actual genuine cases that deserve assistance?
    Are you satisfied with the efforts of 93% (chancers), 'having their go'?

See above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

See above.
    See here: Please learn how to use the
    tag (it really isn't difficult), and format a proper acceptable response, for further consideration.

• Advertisement

Did you actually just post a link about people's feelings?

World's largest database of user contributed data about cities and countries worldwide. Used and respected by journalists internationally for cost of living and crime data as you can see from the Google News search.

P school stopped getting applications/enrollments from its traditional base for that very reason and nearly had to shut down. I know this very specifically. And I’m not saying it was right. In fact it saddened me greatly. It’s on your doorstep and you didn’t realize?

Not that I’m asking you to start sitting outside either school but when’s the last time you did? They have changed beyond all recognition in 20 years. Completely.

Nonsense. The 'Pres' is hugely oversubscribed. So much so that they're asking for University land in Dangan so they can increase their capacity by 70%.NUIG in turn will take over the land the 'Pres' is currently on to develop it in a €200 regeneration plan.

Less of this anecdotal stuff lads and throw in a few facts. I await some tomorrow, saying sayonara for the evening.

Gatling wrote: »
    Did you forget your own posts ?

See my post above in response to more anecdotal factually incorrect stuff from another poster. Best not to use Galway as an example of so called failed multiculturalism when it's anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Seathrun66 wrote:
    World's largest database of user contributed data about cities and countries worldwide. Used and respected by journalists internationally for cost of living and crime data as you can see from the Google News search.

So that would be a yes... how many contributed to the Galway stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

You said no schools in Galway City. I just gave you 2, there are more. They were not random school names, they were very specific. For someone who was quick to quote Galway having the most diverse city, weird you don’t have the figures first hand. I’m guessing you have no clue what your talking about.

You're

And you're telling me that these schools (one within 15 minutes walk of me, the other 25) have a majority African pupil intake? Seriously?

Seathrun66Registered User
    19-Sep-2019 13:14#1,135

alastair said:
    My info is correct. 14 Oughterard to Galway busses daily.

I live on the Galway to Clifden/Oughterard road. There are eight buses from Bus Eireann and six Citylink buses daily. Therefore your information is spot on.

Which one is it lad  ?

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Yet .

It's happening else where - the issues start whatever people try to discuss anything that involves African gangs or scams or whatever ,
    Posters come along and label everyone as racist trying to shut down any discussion using censorship .

Is it though? From my viewpoint there are criminals of all ethnicities operating across this country and continent.

Making false statements about easily disprovable fake African gangs in Galway should suggest to you guys that there's a lot of other fake stuff out there. Question all you read and search for multiple sources, the more respected the better.

tag (it really isn't difficult), and format a proper acceptable response, for further consideration.

Doh. You've got me there.

Bullocks wrote: »

Seathrun66Registered User
    19-Sep-2019 13:14#1,135

alastair said:
    My info is correct. 14 Oughterard to Galway busses daily.

I live on the Galway to Clifden/Oughterard road. There are eight buses from Bus Eireann and six Citylink buses daily. Therefore your information is spot on.

Which one is it lad  ?

You believe those pieces of information to be mutually exclusive and incompatible? How so?

For the record both are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Spoofing again , Sorry bout the tags lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Doh. You've got me there.
    You're still doing it wrong, need someone to help you figure out basic HTML tags, or tidy up your reponses?

So that would be a yes... how many contributed to the Galway stats?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Spoofing again , Sorry bout the tags lad

Spoofing on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Stuff about mythical African gangs running rampage in Galway just isn't true. The press don't miss that stuff. It's sensationalist and sells papers.

And I agree about the people of Oughterard, have friends and family there.

What I object to is people here demonising Refugees and people from elsewhere. It just ain't cool. Has happened to us as a nation when we've gone abroad so we should have learned from that.

I never mentioned African Gangs.

Anywhere.

I didn’t demonize anyone in my post.

The specific issue I challenged was the assertion you made on city schools. That assertion was wrong

Anyway I guess that has been lost in the pages of replies since. Oh well.

Nonsense. The 'Pres' is hugely oversubscribed. So much so that they're asking for University land in Dangan so they can increase their capacity by 70%.NUIG in turn will take over the land the 'Pres' is currently on to develop it in a €200 regeneration plan.

Less of this anecdotal stuff lads and throw in a few facts. I await some tomorrow, saying sayonara for the evening.

Primary school on Newcastle road. That’s the one I mentioned.

The presentation secondary, on another street FYI, merged with the mercy secondary not because of overcrowding. You forgot that I guess? That’s right. Falling numbers. Now take one guess why? In the city centre.

You haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. You really haven’t.

Primary school on Newcastle road. That’s the one I mentioned.

The presentation secondary, on another street FYI, merged with the mercy secondary not because of overcrowding. You forgot that I guess? That’s right. Falling numbers. Now take one guess why? In the city centre.

You haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. You really haven’t.
    The primary school in Newcastle has falling numbers because Educate Together moved into the building next door. ET then had a subscription rate of 145% its capacity taking pupils from the Catholic school (85% now as ET have also set up in Knocknacarra). That was the issue, not more than 50% African pupils which is absurd given the ethnic breakdown of the city. Galway has 19% non-Irish born according to the 2016 census, the highest rate in any city of non-Irish born in the country. So please explain how more than half the intake would be African??

• Advertisement

You're still doing it wrong, need someone to help you figure out basic HTML tags, or tidy up your reponses?

My response was to acknowledge my error, nothing more. Not continuing to do it at all.

The primary school in Newcastle has falling numbers because Educate Together moved into the building next door. ET then had a subscription rate of 145% its capacity taking pupils from the Catholic school (85% now as ET have also set up in Knocknacarra). That was the issue, not more than 50% African pupils which is absurd given the ethnic breakdown of the city. Galway has 19% non-Irish born according to the 2016 census, the highest rate in any city of non-Irish born in the country. So please explain how more than half the intake would be African??

Are you for real?

There is no Galway educate together
    “next door”. There is one over a mile away. And it’s there over a decade. It didn’t lead to the fall in numbers.

I can show you a primary school with an overflowing waiting list “next door” . A Gael scoil. Go figure that one out for a minute.

You’re deflecting down alleys.

Presentation. St Patrick’s and plenty more city schools. On your “doorstep “

Are you for real?

There is no Galway educate together
    “next door”.
    There is one over a mile away.

I can show you a primary school with an overflowing waiting list “next door” . A Gael scoil. Go figure that one out for a minute.

You’re deflecting down alleys.

Presentation. St Patrick’s and plenty more city schools. On your “doorstep “

Galway Educate together is literally next door to St. Joseph's Primary in Newcastle.

Galway Educate together is literally next door to St. Joseph's Primary in Newcastle.

Where, specifically?

That’s a mile away. If that’s next door you’ll find a map in the bookshop next door to your front door.

ET there on Thomas Hynes for a decade+ . It had zero to do with the collapse in numbers. Nothing. Nor the merger with the mercy which you’d forgotten about which was due to the collapse in numbers.

Anyway, back to your original assertion, city schools, two specific examples for you. Go check them out . You might learn something about what’s happening around you.

That’s a mile away. If that’s next door you’ll find a map in the bookshop next door to your front door.

ET there on Thomas Hynes for a decade+ . It had zero to do with the collapse in numbers. Nothing. Nor the merger with the mercy which you’d forgotten about which was due to the collapse in numbers.

Anyway, back to your original assertion, city schools, two specific examples for you. Go check them out . You might learn something about what’s happening around you.

As per my prior post (see above), it's literally next door to Newcastle St. Joseph's Primary School.

Of more than 50% African pupils? I know them both. Nonsense assertion, and without any possible basis in fact.

Final point. Census figures 2016.
    Galway City population - 76,953
    Black or Black Irish - 2,373 (3.08% of the city population).

That 3% includes those from a Caribbean or South American (prominently black Brazilians) background alongside those born in Ireland. Many also resident international students.

But just for arguments sake, say that the entire 3% are from Africa. How then are they to make up over 50% of the intake at two (or more according to the poster) Galway schools?

• Advertisement

As per my prior post (see above), it's literally next door to Newcastle St. Joseph's Primary School.

Good god. There is a special needs school, St Joseph’s, next door to educate together.

That’s right, a special needs school.

You are confused or more likely, spreading more nonsense. I rest my case, you have no clue what you’re talking about and I’m beginning to think you live “next door” ie In Donegal or the moon for that matter as you certainly don’t know Galway. Have a good night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement