Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Gatling wrote: »
    A total of 9,197 deportation orders have been made since 2011 while only one in five of those who received these orders – 1,857 people – have been deported from Ireland.

And how many have left voluntarily?

Edit - already answered by Boggles as Gatling deliberately neglecting to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,134 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You are talking stats here. This is about a small town which doesn't have the resources to deal with a large influx of people.
    No Garda station, no school spaces, no pavement from the town to the proposed centre. Their parish priest retired and they have one very old priest now, I'm not religious btw. A traveller with over 200 criminal convictions was housed there a few months ago. He is still there. They've had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,975 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

eagle eye wrote: »
    Their parish priest retired and they have one very old priest now

How old?

Anyway.

Priest urges community to 'welcome those in need of refuge' amid protests against possible direct provision centre

Demonized in 1.......2..........

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

Whether it’s Higgins or a priest I come back to the facts on the matter

https://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/statistics

They don’t need “international protection “ in most cases and STOP guilt tripping us for our existence.

You are talking stats here. This is about a small town which doesn't have the resources to deal with a large influx of people.
    No Garda station, no school spaces, no pavement from the town to the proposed centre. Their parish priest retired and they have one very old priest now, I'm not religious btw. A traveller with over 200 criminal convictions was housed there a few months ago. He is still there. They've had enough.

Talking about resources without stats is futile. The town will receive funding for school places and infrastructure. Other posters have commented on planning for a new estate being granted without any objection regarding the increase in population that would bring.

Satellite towns near Galway are all going to greatly enlarge in the next few decades.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wibbling wonder

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Talking about resources without stats is futile. The town will receive funding for school places and infrastructure. Other posters have commented on planning for a new estate being granted without any objection regarding the increase in population that would bring.

Satellite towns near Galway are all going to greatly enlarge in the next few decades.

Planning wasn't granted for the new estate. The local authority announced their intentions but they are only that at the moment. As I've referenced before, An Bord Pleanala recently rejected a planning application for 13 local authority houses in the village on 3 grounds 2 of which referenced a lack of infrastructure and services and the other proximity and potential effect on the SAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,091 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why do the always pick these Right Wing, Racist, Fascist towns to house these people?

Why can't they house them next to all the people who want them. Amazing isn't it. Something so simple, yet seems be impossible to do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Why do the always pick these Right Wing, Racist, Fascist towns to house these people?

Why can't they house them next to all the people who want them. Amazing isn't it. Something so simple, yet seems be impossible to do

Truth be told, no one wants to live near a direct plantation centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

One would imagine they would be a perfect fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

One would imagine they would be a perfect fit

the only people who want them there live in parts of south Dublin too expensive to build or buy anywhere to put them ;)

a direct provision centre on the green las line might enlighten these people to the reality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

the only people who want them there live in parts of south Dublin too expensive to build or buy anywhere to put them ;)

a direct provision centre on the green las line might enlighten these people to the reality though.

I see Michael D has made his usual speech about how we have to be welcoming to migrants, our history of emigration and that there is no link it affects jobs or housing lists

Am in Galway and happy to have another DPC here. Wish the Warwick Hotel had been converted for that use instead of a nursing home. Same applies to the Westwood Hotel in Dangan which is being rebuilt as student accommodation.

Both better options than Oughterard, but extremely expensive for the exchequer and the government would get hammered for the cost.

Alastair stated that he lives in inner city north Dublin and you can ask other posters where they're based but none from leafy south Dublin thus far.

Am in Galway and happy to have another DPC here. Wish the Warwick Hotel had been converted for that use instead of a nursing home. Same applies to the Westwood Hotel in Dangan which is being rebuilt as student accommodation.

Both better options than Oughterard, but extremely expensive for the exchequer and the government would get hammered for the cost.

Alastair stated that he lives in inner city north Dublin and you can ask other posters where they're based but none from leaft south Dublin thus far.

going to take it you're living near Galway city too. I suppose considering how our cities are full of crime anyway its nothing new, to the people of oughterard it certainly will be.

going to take it you're living near Galway city too. I suppose considering how our cities are full of crime anyway its nothing new, to the people of oughterard it certainly will be.

Not so in Galway. From two months ago:

https://connachttribune.ie/crime-rate-in-galway-drops-by-10-percent-600/

Alastair stated that he lives in inner city north Dublin and you can ask other posters where they're based but none from leafy south Dublin thus far.

Why would you prefer the government to build accommodation for people just arrived in the country rather than accommodation for people who have lived here all their life especially senior citizens who have contributed all their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,134 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seathrun66 wrote:
    Love it.
    Still here I see, haven't stopped posting yet. Did you get to talk to a Garda yet? I suppose you'll have the same view when he tells you about the gang. You'll say he couldn't tell you how man were in it or something ridiculous like that to try and prevent us from calling you a liar.

Why would you prefer the government to build accommodation for people just arrived in the country rather than accommodation for people who have lived here all their life especially senior citizens who have contributed all their life.

its about optics, the only thing these people have ever seen of Syrians is the friendly guy who works in the kebab shop in a nice part of town etc... however they've seen a scrounger or 2 on the dole and know it can get messy, so the migrants take priority in their head because its all going to be sunshine and rainbows. Thats why I think these people should have to see the reality.

From the Irish Examiner. Pay particular attention to the second paragraph - Galway the only county with a major urban centre to fall into the lower half of the crime rankings.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/crime/crimebycounty/galway/

No shortage of nursing homes. It's a tidy business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Boggles wrote: »

The parish priest here in Kilkenny was virtue signalling to the papers over the mosque last year. Calling everybody who was against it racist [the usual "I can't defend my policies so I'll just name call like child" Plus last Christmas during Advent went on a Pro refugee and pro Sharia spiel [referred to them as Angels sent from Heaven and should we follow the laws of God or the Laws of Man] So I sent him a letter stating that if he believes that they are Angels sent from heaven then he and the other priests should have no problems letting them live with them. They kept their mouth shut ever since [the dwindling collection plates probably sent the message to STFU as well. Plus one of the local journalists saying he had dirt on the local priest and he would reveal it if he kept his tirades up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Seathrun66 wrote:

So still plenty of crime. Just less crime. And some serious jumps in certain crimes. I don't think a three month snap shot is much of a reflection of the overall picture either. Agree with your other point these centres should be in the city. Or a lot closer to the city. Bushy Park or the likes.

Still here I see, haven't stopped posting yet. Did you get to talk to a Garda yet? I suppose you'll have the same view when he tells you about the gang. You'll say he couldn't tell you how man were in it or something ridiculous like that to try and prevent us from calling you a liar.

Still on about the mythical gang terrorising the city? The gang the press and locals know nothing about. That same gang of crazy outlaws?

So under the radar than only a privileged few know of their existence. Why not sell the inside scoop to the Mail or Star, lots of back-clapping and cash heading your way?

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The parish priest here in Kilkenny was virtue signalling to the papers over the mosque last year. Calling everybody who was against it racist [the usual "I can't defend my policies so I'll just name call like child" Plus last Christmas during Advent went on a Pro refugee and pro Sharia spiel [referred to them as Angels sent from Heaven and should we follow the laws of God or the Laws of Man] So I sent him a letter stating that if he believes that they are Angels sent from heaven then he and the other priests should have no problems letting them live with them. They kept their mouth shut ever since [the dwindling collection plates probably sent the message to STFU as well. Plus one of the local journalists saying he had dirt on the local priest and he would reveal it if he kept his tirades up.

No shortage of gossiping ninnies on this thread.

So still plenty of crime. Just less crime. And some serious jumps in certain crimes. I don't think a three month snap shot is much of a reflection of the overall picture either. Agree with your other point these centres should be in the city. Or a lot closer to the city. Bushy Park or the likes.

So an urban centre in a county with low crime in a country with a low crime rate is high crime to you. Nope, that's inaccurate.

11th lowest homicide rate of the 51 countries in Europe.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ireland-has-11th-lowest-homicide-rate-in-europe-un-report-1.3956453?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fireland-has-11th-lowest-homicide-rate-in-europe-un-report-1.3956453

No shortage of nursing homes. It's a tidy business.

Unlike direct provision centers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Seathrun66 wrote:

Bushypark would be much handier for them alright. Footpath all the way into the city. Plenty of land around Dangan could be used for building a hub for them

Unlike direct provision centers?

40 DPCs - Irish Times, 13/02/2019
    Nursing Homes - over 460 according to Nursing Homes Ireland, the national representative body for NHs.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Bushypark would be much handier for them alright. Footpath all the way into the city. Plenty of land around Dangan could be used for building a hub for them

Plenty of land, only issue would be getting the University to sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

So an urban centre in a county with low crime in a country with a low crime rate is high crime to you. Nope, that's inaccurate.

11th lowest homicide rate of the 51 countries in Europe.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ireland-has-11th-lowest-homicide-rate-in-europe-un-report-1.3956453?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fireland-has-11th-lowest-homicide-rate-in-europe-un-report-1.3956453

Where did I say high crime? Stop making things up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement