Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

Ballyhaunis has a direct provision centre AFAIK.

It does. A lof of the immigrants there are employed. But there's still a small minority that are unhappy about immigrants being there even though many of them are active members of the community and in sports clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Why?

Do you not believe this is organised, given the Dublin Agreement. How do they end up here from Albania and Nigeria for example.

Any direct flights to Dublin?

Heathrow, innit?

I was more interested in links to Facebook pages of people talking about going to Ireland for the system in place here. I'd love to see it. Links?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭jmreire

Doblin wrote: »
    Obviously a good chunk of asylum seekers are just chancing their arm and are no more fleeing war than the man on the moon but what I don't understand is what are locals afraid of? Do they think these people are going to be going around committing crime? Doing drugs ?

Not just in Ballyhaunis, but everywhere in Ireland now, there is general mistrust of people, and not just Immigrants....every day, seems that another murder is committed...some one is knifed...people just don't feel safe anymore, drugs are rampant and people living in rural areas are afraid of being attacked, especially elderly people. We live in very uncertain times, and it has affected how people think. So of course there is going to be a lot of discussion when a situation like Ballyhaunis arise's...and it is not helped by a government that "Spring's" a sudden plan to house 250 people in a small rural community.

jmreire wrote: »
    Just asking, would the "immigrant's" who arrived 40 year's ago have been Halal Butchers to work in the meat factory? I remember a long time ago, there was a public outcry about shipping live cattle to Muslim Country's like Libya etc. So to get around that, they got Muslim Halal butchers from abroad to slaughter the cattle here in Ireland, and ship them then as dead meat. If these are the same guy's, how has it worked out with them? Have they really settled in? Became "More Irish than the Irish themselves, as it were?

Hardly more Irish than the Irish themselves as they are Pakistani and Muslim and worship in the local mosque. They intergrate very well. The local cricket club is one of the best in the country and many of their children play sports including Gaelic Football and hurling. Haroize Akram from Ballaghdereen, where there is another Halal factory, is related to the Ballhunis Pakistanis.
    I worked in both factories during summers, was great for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

jmreire wrote: »
    Not just in Ballyhaunis, but everywhere in Ireland now, there is general mistrust of people, and not just Immigrants....every day, seems that another murder is committed...some one is knifed...people just don't feel safe anymore, drugs are rampant and people living in rural areas are afraid of being attacked, especially elderly people. We live in very uncertain times, and it has affected how people think. So of course there is going to be a lot of discussion when a situation like Ballyhaunis arise's...and it is not helped by a government that "Spring's" a sudden plan to house 250 people in a small rural community.

Where would Irish people go in the world if they want to avoid murders and drugs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Why is it no place for hundreds of migrants? Depends on the town. I'm from Ballyhaunis. There's been immigrants living there for 40 years and more than 60% of the population is non-natural.

And it’s a big ****ing dive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Nigerians were one of the non national group who had a large presence even prior to the mass EU immigration. Mostly here to work in the health service. But it was small numbers relative to the British and Americans. Even now it is under 10,000 and without checking I think the population of Nigeria is over 300 million. Albanians are a small number, but there are small numbers from various countries.

If you believe that about Nigerians there is nothing I can do to convince you otherwise. How did they get here in the first place if no visa? Same applies to Albanians. Where is the war...

It costs a lot to travel that distance, so being destitute was not an issue really was it?

They arrived in their droves in about 2004 or so, and I am sure many are enjoying the largesse of the Welfare system and housing allocations now.That is because we are not allowed to question it, for fear of the R word. Sewn up now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Where would Irish people go in the world if they want to avoid murders and drugs?

They don't have to go anywhere, just don't hang out with skanger and junkie's and you'll be okay.

Plenty of people living in so called tough neighborhoods but they go out there and make it work....

Choice and responsibility isn't as hard as being a waster or layabout....

40% of the population of Ballyhaunis are foreign. Did that cause their community to collapse?

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

More than 60% of the area is non-National? Who said the comminity has collapsed?

UsBus wrote: »
    Have you ever looked at the amount of property for sale in ballyhaunis or the price of it..??? Probably one of the cheapest towns in mayo or Galway to purchase....I wonder why...

Go and look without making stupid assumptions.

• Advertisement

LillySV wrote: »
    And it’s a big ****ing dive :)

How would you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I am sure many are enjoying the largesse of the Welfare system and housing allocations now.

How are you so sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

For the protection of native Irish citizens and its own important culture, government and the justice system need to work harder on this to make sure that the needs and important issues of Irish native citizens are listened to and dealt with in a shared and professional manner. This is not happening at all today and if this continues to be the case as we go along, then we are going to have more problems to deal with.

I agree with what some people have said with notice to the fact that if any-one questions this forced immigration of illegal migrants 'of which most are' to their county then they are witch-hunted by their own politicians and governments into submission, afraid to say anything because of being labeled a so-called racist when they are only bringing up seriously important issues regarding community and infrastructure. This government and the politicians you vote for in your own county will be the one's that will hang you out to dry in the end, remember that.

Just like I said previously, I like different cultures of all kinds and integrating with them, (it goes both ways of course) but, we really have to know who we are letting in to this country and this government is not doing its job in this regard at all. You want a peaceful country/Island with good people of many nationalities of which is great for us all imo, but all it takes is an almost completely open border for the illegal migrant criminals/terrorists to flow in pretending to suffer distress from a country in war they fake to say they resided there. Please come in you poor soul 'Mafia Member' 'Isis terrorist' 100,000 welcomes. Irish citizens are told what to do and how to verbally project themselves and if you do not abide by what you are told by your government, then you will be shut down completely and removed from expressing yourself vocally and electronically.

Strict custom rules is the only way. Employ many hundreads more, or thousands if need be, we havent got enough at this time. The real refugees with their children are very welcome. Illegal single male migrants are not. Sweden faltered in this regard, they will never recover.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

Wompa1 wrote: »
    How are you so sure?

It's easier to make lazy assumptions than provide facts. One Nigerian does you wrong, they must all be wrong uns. Plenty of sound Nigerians and plenty of wrong uns too. Same with Irish people, even Mayo people!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

All we have left is the ballot box

Which is an inconvenience for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

why don't they keep them in dublin , every thing else is there , so why not keep them up there .
    build a tent city in the Phoenix park , they would have plenty of space there and could walk or take the bus into town .best facilities in the country there in dublin .
    centre of EXCELLENCE I think they call it .

And fair play to TD grealish for speaking the truth , like peter casey about the travellers .
    we have got so politically correct in this country recently , your almost not allowed have an opinion .
    well f##k that .
    people need to push back .

we don't embrace our native travellers , nor do we bed well with the brits , so why in hell is there a surprise that we may not like our country been over run by sponges from Africa and the middle East .

Grealish should stand firm in the face of the media onslaught. He can see how the people feel about him in the election in May 2020.

I've seen some stats recently on the percentage of asylum refusals for Africans. Seems to be very high refusal rate, why is that i wonder, is it because the authorities don't believe them to be genuine cases. None of the media seem to be quoting those figures so they are either false or the media have an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

kerry cow wrote: »
    why don't they keep them in dublin , every thing else is there , so why not keep them up there .
    build a tent city in the Phoenix park , they would have plenty of space there and could walk or take the bus into town .best facilities in the country there in dublin .

And fair play to TD grealish for speaking the truth , like peter casey about the travellers .
    we have got so politically correct in this country recently , your almost not allowed have an opinion .
    well f##k that .

we don't embrace our native travellers , nor do we bed well with the brits , so why in hell is there a surprise that we may not like our country been over run by sponges from Africa and the middle East .

<<snip>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Grealish should stand firm in the face of the media onslaught. He can see how the people feel about him in the election in May 2020.

I've seen some stats recently on the percentage of asylum refusals for Africans. Seems to be very high refusal rate, why is that i wonder, is it because the authorities don't believe them to be genuine cases. None of the media seem to be quoting those figures so they are either false or the media have an agenda.

<<snip>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

kerry cow wrote: »

well f##k that .

Holy martyrdom, Batman!

“nor do we bed well with the brits”. Christ on a rothar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

davedanon cut it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

One went into Roscrea recently at the Dunkerrin Arms.

Nobody in the town was consulted beforehand.

What's the point of putting them in small hick towns?

It would be better served to put them in areas of Dublin 4. They would then have better prospect of securing jobs and benefiting our economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Grealish only said what a lot of people are thinking and agree with. People are scared to speak up in fear of being called racist or bigot and being classed as selfish and heartless. Anyone who says this is not going to affect the small communities that they are being dumped on are definitely having a laugh. The services in this country are under severe pressure at the minute and our government seems intent on putting more pressure on them and never will ŕecover when the social welfare budget will drain all money we have. Good old Irish government looking for brownie points off Europe again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Does whoever is making these decisions not realise that there is a lack of housing in Ireland? We cannot home the people already in the country so where on earth are we supposed to find homes in a village for a further 250?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Does whoever is making these decisions not realise that there is a lack of housing in Ireland? We cannot home the people already in the country so where on earth are we supposed to find homes in a village for a further 250?

We could easily home the people already here if they made a little compromise and took a house away from their ma and their favorite shop.

lola85 wrote: »
    We could easily home the people already here if they made a little compromise and took a house away from their ma and their favorite shop.

I suppose our hospitals have plenty of beds too and we have an over supply of G.Ps and an endless amount of cash for social welfare and training services. Great country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

I suppose our hospitals have plenty of beds too and we have an over supply of G.Ps and an endless amount of cash for social welfare and training services. Great country.

Don’t agree with all that now.

lola85 wrote: »
    Don’t agree with all that now.

Well that's why I'm confused that our government wants to flood the country with people with probably limited skills and in need of alot of social welfare care when it cannot fully provide this for its own citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

There seems to be a lot of people posting here using the words "chancers" and "spongers" to describe asylum seekers, just like Noel Grealish, as if they know what they are talking about. It is clear that the majority of people using these terms have no direct knowledge of the lives of asylum seekers here.

Let's be clear, asylum seekers get €20 a week and have to live in shared rooms or dorms, many in basic, crowded conditions. They are not being housed in luxury accommodation or given a lot of money. Some can now work, and if they do work they pay taxes and PRSI like everyone else. They are not responsible for the housing crisis and did not cause it.

They are, in general, the best behaved members of any community that they live in and cause almost no trouble. Most integrate well, if they are allowed to. They will not "destroy the fabric of Oughterard" or of any place they go to.

This whole topic is allowing some people to indulge their primal fear of difference and the outsider, and to spread lies and nonsense about anyone who is not white and Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Noel Grealish, who has recently railed against people coming to Ireland to make a better life for themselves, makes a point of saying on his website....

"Like so many in the West of Ireland, many of the Grealish family had to emigrate in search of work — at one point there were seven of them abroad, and currently Noel has three siblings living in Boston and one each in Copenhagen, Chicago and Nebraska."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement