Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bullocks wrote: »
    What's the craic if an employer is caught with an asylum seeker working for them?
    I'm sure there are a few that will chance doing a few hours work for cash in hand if they get it
    Well back in 05 the owner of Lisdoonvarna's DPC one Mr White was convicted for not having permits for migrant workers. He got fined 11 grand for it. He got nearly one and a half million last year for the DPC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'm sure he had the 11k well earned off them and if not he could get it out of his 1.5m.
    A right piece of profiteering but sure that's human nature I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

There is hardly ample casual labour around at the minute

There’s a million Brazilians and Chinese here on part time student visas. Legally able to work ‘part time’.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,130 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wibbs wrote: »
    He got nearly one and a half million last year for the DPC.

About 192 quid a week per asylum seeker.

Sounds reasonable TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The argument from the pro DPC posters is this would encourage even more asylum seekers. The same posters are in favour of virtually unrestricted asylum and migrants flowing in here but only when its to places outside Dublin. When you talk of building DPCs in Dublin, they immediately come up with excuses and reasons why that's not a good idea.

You’ve clearly not read the thread.

• Advertisement

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Aww...poor you...care to back up your mate in his claim all rejected asylum claimants were deported?

EDIT...actually they were served deportation orders and "left'

I don’t have mates. Am not English.

revenent wrote: »
    It is admirable that you are continuing on, ignoring both fact and logic. The funny thing is I actually WISH you were right, it would be a much better place to live for both the natives and genuine asylum seekers, had the unsuccesfull left in this dream scenario. Why would you voluntarily leave a country such as Ireland if you knew enforced deportations were so low and you could access the labour/healthcare and social welfare almost freely? It is enjoyable reading this seeing the comments. They are placed outside Dublin so the decision makers can both be accommodating to the eu relocations and not have to actually witness or interact with the individuals.

Enforced deportations low as the rest leave voluntarily or appeal. Not a tricky concept.

Otherwise please provide info on any overstaying asylum seekers. Any at all. But I fear a long wait and yet more ignorant conjecture.

Where do they go when they head out of here I wonder?

Exile in Elba?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

What's the craic if an employer is caught with an asylum seeker working for them?
    I'm sure there are a few that will chance doing a few hours work for cash in hand if they get it
    Few firms caught employing illegals in last weeks Tuam herald.. Slap on the wrist basically

Few firms caught employing illegals in last weeks Tuam herald.. Slap on the wrist basically

Link?

• Advertisement

Rampaging organised African criminal gang in Galway? Nope, no evidence.
    Hordes of failed asylum seekers running wild around the country? Nope, again no evidence.

Next up? A Papua New Guinea cartel smuggling oil into Bantry Bay? No proof it doesn’t exist means it must be true. I fear now though that there’s a few here who’ll read that as fact.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

alastair wrote: »
    That’s a mighty fine claim unsubstantiated with actual evidence. Well done.

Evidence like countless posts on here from yourself and others telling us Dublin is not suitable for DPCs you mean? Something to do with casual claims.

If you want the evidence look through your posting history ;)

Evidence like countless posts on here from yourself and others telling us Dublin is not suitable for DPCs you mean? Something to do with casual claims.

If you want the evidence look through your posting history ;)

Yeaah; I never said any such thing. But thanks for your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Link?
    I'll find it when I get a chance you're quick off the blocks with your "link" there

Yeaah; I never said any such thing. But thanks for your efforts.

So you agree there should be more DPCS in Dublin then?

So you agree there should be more DPCS in Dublin then?

If you actually bothered to read what people wrote, instead of entertaining your imagination, you’d have seen that I said I had no problem with more asylum seekers in Dublin.

If you actually bothered to read what people wrote, instead of entertaining your imagination, you’d have seen that I said I had no problem with more asylum seekers in Dublin.

Nope. We are talking specifically about DPCs. Very large centres accommodating asylum seekers.

Not a dispersal throughout a city with a population 5 times that of county Dublin.

Large DPCS for Dublin specifically. Starting in leafy areas like Dun Laoighre, Killiney, D4 or Dalkey. One in the vicinity of Sorento Terrace would be an ideal start.

Nope. We are talking about DPCs. Very large centres accommodating asylum seekers.

Not a dispersal through a city with a population 5 times that of Galway for example.

You talk about whatever you like, but don’t make claims regarding other people’s views without actual evidence. It just makes you look all the more foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

alastair wrote:
    That’s a mighty fine claim unsubstantiated with actual evidence. Well done.
    Do you think it's fair to majorly alter the demographics of a small town overnight?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Do you think it's fair to majorly alter the demographics of a small town overnight?

What’s unfair in demographic change? You had a greater demographic change in Lisdoonvarna, and the town seems to have coped just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Nope. We are talking specifically about DPCs. Very large centres accommodating asylum seekers.

Not a dispersal throughout a city with a population 5 times that of county Dublin.

Large DPCS for Dublin specifically. Starting in leafy areas like Dun Laoighre, Killiney, D4 or Dalkey. One in the vicinity of Sorento Terrace would be an ideal start.

how many DPCS and Halting sites are in the likes of kiliney, foxrock, dalkey, blackrock, clontarf, howth, ballsbridge, castleknock, rathgar etc?

Then the media and political class plea, how dare those in poorer and less politically powerful areas complain in having them imposed on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Any evidence that they’re here? Because otherwise they’re gone. I hear a lot of guff about ‘spoofing’, but it seems quite clear that it’s those insinuating that there’s ex asylum seekers living here who are spoofing. They’re known to the authorities, fingerprinted, without means of support, and highly problematic to any employer in a context where there’s ample casual labour without authorities dramas attached.

You said they were gone, Im just querying what you have to substantiate this, as it seems youre privy to more information than the minister.
    Im not purporting to claim they're here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Rampaging organised African criminal gang in Galway? Nope, no evidence.
    Hordes of failed asylum seekers running wild around the country? Nope, again no evidence.

Next up? A Papua New Guinea cartel smuggling oil into Bantry Bay? No proof it doesn’t exist means it must be true. I fear now though that there’s a few here who’ll read that as fact.

Im not too sure you know how this works

alastair wrote:
    What’s unfair in demographic change? You had a greater demographic change in Lisdoonvarna, and the town seems to have coped just fine.
    This town as I've already said does not have a Garda station, doesn't have school spaces, doesn't have a footpath to the dpc from the town, doesn't have much public transport, doesn't have much employment opportunities.

I didn't ask you about Lisdoonvarna.

I asked you if you think it's fair to the locals to majorly alter the demographics of the area overnight?

Surely these things should be done gradually.

You said they were gone, Im just querying what you have to substantiate this, as it seems youre privy to more information than the minister.
    Im not purporting to claim they're here...

Their absence substantiates this.

This town as I've already said does not have a Garda station, doesn't have school spaces, doesn't have a footpath to the dpc from the town, doesn't have much public transport, doesn't have much employment opportunities.

I didn't ask you about Lisdoonvarna.

I asked you if you think it's fair to the locals to majorly alter the demographics of the area overnight?

Surely these things should be done gradually.

You asked about rapid demographic change. Not footpaths.

Seathrun66 wrote:
    Rampaging organised African criminal gang in Galway?
    Who besides you used those words?
    There is a gang in Galway. They have been involved in multiple assaults, they are involved in the drugs trade. There are quite a few of them.
    I know this is the case, I suggested you go ask a garda which you haven't to this point but keep banging on there is no proof despite a media article being posted which states that criminals of African decent were part of a gang. It doesn't give enough names as far as your concerned for it to be a 'big gang'. It seems you don't understand that the only names and numbers that will ever be mentioned in a court report will be of those charged and any named witnesses.

alastair wrote:
    You asked about rapid demographic change. Not footpaths.
    I did yes and you started talking about Lisdoonvarna so I set the scene for you as it is.

I did yes and you started talking about Lisdoonvarna so I set the scene for you as it is.

Because Lisdoonvarna has has rapid demographic change on the back of a DPC. And they’ve coped perfectly well.

• Advertisement

Their absence substantiates this.

For all you know the person serving you in a fast food outlet could be illegal. They are hardly going to wear a badge advertising their status.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement