Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't believe you. The reason being that the Gardai would not lie to you.

Ha ha. Now that's one response I could not have predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Gatling wrote: »
    You got caught lying simple and you and the other one rather than coping on and realising you made big error yous started with personal attacks ,

And here your still chasing your tail and someone elses at the same time trying to come up with a narrative to suit the lie .

It's not working as multiple posters have pointed out .

List the personal attacks. Because I've not seen any to those in favour of giving people fleeing persecution somewhere safe to stay.

And don't bother with the deflection. You're fighting an unwinnable argument. We've got obligations under international treaties and protocols that will be honoured. We'll continue assessing asylum claims and continue denying many the right of residence here while providing sanctuary for others.

Your every conjecture, nonsense anecdote and lie here has been thoroughly debunked. It's only facts that are important and you've provided none. Lies about overstaying illegal asylum seekers, organised African gangs et al. Your gut feelings are irrelevant and about to become less so in an increasingly progressive Ireland. Adieu to the hatred.
    Would you say everyone objecting to the DPC in Oughterard has hatred against these people ? I'd hardly think they have , especially listening to them on radio 1 this evening

Did he actually post that ?

Yep. The Gardai tell me there are no organised African gangs here. The Galway Tribune office confirm that in an informal chat with a journalist. The Connacht Tribune, The Irish Times, The Galway Advertiser and other local or national papers have no mention of this gang. The right-wing press (who would adore this story) have never mentioned this gang.

And you guys provide a link to a lunchtime fight involving three school-kids and a 23 year old beating up a guy. As before, I assume you're not journalism majors nor forensic investigators.

Bullocks wrote: »
    You are the one that said I was furstrated . Why say it and when questioned then  you take it on yourself to tell me to focus on the issues and facts here ?

The general anger towards refugees on this site implies frustration on the part of the people directing wrath towards them. you replied with a courteous decent answer so no point continuing down the path of confrontation. Hence my answer to you.

Would you say everyone objecting to the DPC in Oughterard has hatred against these people ? I'd hardly think they have , especially listening to them on radio 1 this evening

Absolutely not. I've two cousins and their families there plus a couple of pals. Not seen them recently to discuss this but I'd have to guess that some of them are against the centre. And I'm sure there are plenty other decent people in the town. They've been friendly to me and my family when we've stopped by.

I can understand the protests and I've said here that it would have been better to have another DPC here in Galway (at the old Warwick Hotel or Westwood Hotel). We have one in Galway City just off Eyre Square and another in Salthill. The city can handle a third.

What I've objected to here are some of the lies and misinformation, particularly in relation to nationalities we really have nothing to fear from at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

You are the one that said I was furstrated . Why say it and when questioned then  you take it on yourself to tell me to focus on the issues and facts here ?

The general anger towards refugees on this site implies frustration on the part of the people directing wrath towards them. you replied with a courteous decent answer so no point continuing down the path of confrontation. Hence my answer to you.
    I wouldn't think there is hatred shown by many here . I see alot of it as concern for a small town that just can cope with the nuimber of people being lumped out there

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

List the lie Lies

Claiming a you spoke to a guard about posts on board -lie

Claiming 7197 failed asylum seekers left the country -lie

Claiming that people are showing hatred to people fleeing what ever -lie

When your up to your neck in your own fecal matter it's usually a sign to stop digging

I wouldn't think there is hatred shown by many here . I see alot of it as concern for a small town that just can cope with the nuimber of people being lumped out there

My argument would be that Lisdoonvarna & Ballaghaderreen coped and made good of it. But as before I'd prefer the centre in the city and the Westwood site close to me would have been ideal.

I agree regarding most here not spouting hatred but there is bile from some and lies regarding the city. It's fine to defend the residents of Oughterard. I for one have not made a single criticism of them. But it's not cool to attack other nationalities with language like 'poxbottle African scroungers' and insulting remarks about the illiteracy and lack of education the posters really know next to nothing about.

To be fair most here are respectful, probably are decent people and the moderators haven't really had to intervene. I've seen much much worse on boards and steered clear.

Claiming a you spoke to a guard about posts on board -lie

Claiming 7197 failed asylum seekers left the country -lie

Claiming that people are showing hatred to people fleeing what ever -lie

When your up to your neck in your own fecal matter it's usually a sign to stop digging

My post asks you to list the personal attacks I've made. You've thoroughly failed to do so and instead altered it to lies.

A poster asked me to speak to a guard. I'm not shy. I spoke to one outside Mill Street Station today. I reported the chat and response. Whatever I said would not be believed so I fail to understand why the poster asked me to do so.

The failed asylum seekers are gone. Too risky for employers to take them on, no PSC, no recourse to public funds, no healthcare, no schooling available to the family. Can't be done and Alastair has clearly explained the process to you but cognitive dissonance precludes your acceptance of the facts.

Read through the comments on some African nationalities, Africans in general and other nationalities here to see some of the hate (from some, a minority I'll accept and am glad it is not more). It's there and will sadly remain there for some. There will always be a portion of the populace prepared to blame others for their own ills.

The failed asylum seekers are gone.

Please provide proof - not your unqualified opinion

• Advertisement

Please provide proof - not your unqualified opinion

Occam's Razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What did ye think of the piece on radio 1 there about the hotel in Oughterard?
    All seemed reasonable people that made sense. Even James the asylum seeker siad it is doing them no good to live so far from the city. He was against direct provision centres but favoured smaller groups that would fit in with the area easier, similarly the woman from Oughterard said the same thing and that they would welcome asylum seekers with open arms in smaller more manageable numbers.
    James said living in a direct provision centre was like being in prison without knowing the length of your stay and could understand why Oughterard residents would feel against such a large one in a rural town

Did James say why he was in Ireland? Bring far from a city seems a small price to pay for safety

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MOC1972

My post asks you to list the personal attacks I've made. You've thoroughly failed to do so and instead altered it to lies.

A poster asked me to speak to a guard. I'm not shy. I spoke to one outside Mill Street Station today. I reported the chat and response. Whatever I said would not be believed so I fail to understand why the poster asked me to do so.

The failed asylum seekers are gone. Too risky for employers to take them on, no PSC, no recourse to public funds, no healthcare, no schooling available to the family. Can't be done and Alastair has clearly explained the process to you but cognitive dissonance precludes your acceptance of the facts.

Read through the comments on some African nationalities, Africans in general and other nationalities here to see some of the hate (from some, a minority I'll accept and am glad it is not more). It's there and will sadly remain there for some. There will always be a portion of the populace prepared to blame others for their own ills.

You haven't been an angel so when you post online expect a small percentage of hassle
    Everyone has an opinion unfortunately people are talking without real experience
    Sad how some have so much time and aren't out volunteering to help the homeless and try to make a difference

Occam's Razor.

I didn't ask for some other poster idiotic post .

Can you provide evidence to back up your claim .

Yes or no

MOC1972 wrote: »
    You haven't been an angel so when you post online expect a small percentage of hassle
    Everyone has an opinion unfortunately people are talking without real experience
    Sad how some have so much time and aren't out volunteering to help the homeless and try to make a difference

Fair enough.

I've always done voluntary work, for a variety of stuff.

The posting has taken roughly three hours of my week when added up, mainly done alongside work and other stuff. Maybe wasted time, maybe not. I just hate people picking on the underdogs.

I didn't ask for some other poster idiotic post .

Can you provide evidence to back up your claim .

Yes or no

You've already got the official figures, the government policy, the Irish Times figures and article and an absolute absence of any contrary evidence from those peddling the mythology of roaming gangs of failed asylum seekers.

Respond to the Irish Times piece on deportations as I requested yesterday and you conveniently ignored. And provide any examples of your assertions on underground failed asylum seekers. You've been shown all the information and you're either unable to process it or just want to rile. I ain't biting.

You've already got the official figures,

Can you actually answer the question to back up your claim with proof .

1800 deported I know this I supplied the actual figure .

Now can you stop chasing your tail and answer the question

Fair enough.

I've always done voluntary work, for a variety of stuff.

The posting has taken roughly three hours of my week when added up, mainly done alongside work and other stuff. Maybe wasted time, maybe not. I just hate people picking on the underdogs.

I wasn't referring to your time in particular
    But If you feel you have wasted time its probably right
    I think we all need to see first hand what is the reality of living in limbo in a hotel I feel this will turn into a scandal in years to come between depression lack of intergration facilities
    Our obligation under any treaty isn't correct without proper implementation a quick fix isn't a long term strategy
    Remember the famous magdalen laundry
    which is still a scar on many people.
    But lots thought it was fine at the time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Occam's Razor.

In what universe does this constitute 'proof'. It's not even original foolishness, you got it from someone else. Provide links proving these 7000+ deportees were actually deported or stop.

Well, just stop. Because no such thing happened. Because we have the sham that is Right to Remain in this country, where you can just kind of potter around even if you've been denied the formal right to be here.
    I just hate people picking on the underdogs.

There's nothing 'underdog' about asylum scammers trying their luck in boats or in Calais. They are simply opportunistic. They are the sharks. They do not respect the countries they are entering illegally, nor its people. Especially not those that are in vulnerable spots because of any housing or homeless crisis. Which we have and are about to be compounded by Brexit and probably another major recession. They don't care. They still try their luck. It's not like they have nowhere else to try. Places like Djibouti are blowing up right now because of foreign investment.

Can you actually answer the question to back up your claim with proof .

1800 deported I know this I supplied the actual figure .

Now can you stop chasing your tail and answer the question

You've been provided with the information. Repeated answers by myself and another poster to the same question repeated ad nauseam have triggered you. You've got the evidence, you've got the information but you just can't process that you've been lied to by the anti-refugee crew. Hopefully it'll sink in someday but I fear not.

And here's some more stuff on the myths of asylum. Adieu.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/noel-grealish-s-views-of-asylum-seekers-are-based-on-myth-1.4021295

• Advertisement

MOC1972 wrote: »
    I wasn't referring to your time in particular
    But If you feel you have wasted time its probably right
    I think we all need to see first hand what is the reality of living in limbo in a hotel I feel this will turn into a scandal in years to come between depression lack of intergration facilities
    Our obligation under any treaty isn't correct without proper implementation a quick fix isn't a long term strategy
    Remember the famous magdalen laundry
    which is still a scar on many people.
    But lots thought it was fine at the time

Agreed regarding the centres. And the unnecessary time people spend in them. If the claims are genuine then get people out of them and to work as early as possible. If false then arrange for them to leave. Unfortunately it's the least worst option at the moment.

You've been provided with the information.

I provided the information you replied with multiple lies along with what's his name .

Can you please stop lying .

Actually did you create an account to change the subject odd how suddenly a poster with a handful of posts in years suddenly appears attempting to change the discussion .

Can we have Answers that multiple posters have asked for

PostWoke wrote: »
    In what universe does this constitute 'proof'. It's not even original foolishness, you got it from someone else. Provide links proving these 7000+ deportees were actually deported or stop.

Well, just stop. Because no such thing happened. Because we have the sham that is Right to Remain in this country, where you can just kind of potter around even if you've been denied the formal right to be here.

There's nothing 'underdog' about asylum scammers trying their luck in boats or in Calais. They are simply opportunistic. They are the sharks. They do not respect the countries they are entering illegally, nor its people. Especially not those that are in vulnerable spots because of any housing or homeless crisis. Which we have and are about to be compounded by Brexit and probably another major recession. They don't care. They still try their luck. It's not like they have nowhere else to try. Places like Djibouti are blowing up right now because of foreign investment.

Occam's Razor is not an obscure principle. Commonly known so no need to pinch the idea.

Random slagging off of refugees and citizens of states you seemingly know little about. There are false asylum seekers of course but aren't you happy their applications are being filtered out? Signs of an assessment system that's doing its job.

And on that note, salamu. I've sleep to be having.

Agreed regarding the centres. And the unnecessary time people spend in them. If the claims are genuine then get people out of them and to work as early as possible. If false then arrange for them to leave. Unfortunately it's the least worst option at the moment.

Again it's not the least worst option.
    Army barracks have been sold which are fully equited to house feed train and prepare people for proper intergration.
    THE government are washing there hands of the current situation.
    Favouring private individuals who have only one agenda

We as a country have thousands of qualified people who would be glad to work and help this process but it seems our government are inept at finding alternatives.
    These premises are rent free but are seen as quick money.
    While the can is kicked down the road.
    The circus continues

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Occam's Razor is not an obscure principle.

It's also not evidence.
    Random slagging off of refugees and citizens of states you seemingly know little about. There are false asylum seekers of course but aren't you happy their applications are being filtered out? Signs of an assessment system that's doing its job.

Except they're not being filtered out, and the supposed 'assessment system' comes to the conclusion that they can't be here, but sure they're free to be here and meander around. That's the whole problem you don't seem to be getting?

Enjoy your sleep. Hundreds are bedding down tonight outside in the rain or in dangerous homeless hostels, or in slightly less dangerous homeless hostels on urine soaked crash mats, while you and your direct provision buddies bed down in comfortable, warm beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,940 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't think anyone has an issue with genuine people arriving from UN sourced and vetted refugees.

It is the chancers that are causing the issue now. And it would be fine if the deportation rate was a good bit quicker really. The word would get around that we are not a soft touch anymore.

Just saying. There are many layers to this issue. The refugee/asylum Charities, NGOs, Lawyers, and so on who are funded by us to enable dubious applicants to stay. Yes it is our taxes that pay for this, but we all know it anyway.

Tough principles are needed. And of course I may be called the R word for saying that, but I don't care anymore what anyone thinks of a rational view on this issue if they cannot rationalise it with a bit of intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

To be honest, if i gave as much time as alastair and Seathrun spoofing, before the gig was up, i'd try and skulk off into the night.

Maybe wait a few days and come back when the fuss has died down, hope people forgot me making a fool of myself.

Or, the nuclear option, deleting my account and starting a new one.

Im embarassed for the pair of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Former Justice Minister Michael McDowell told us over 15 years ago that "cock-and-bull" / "far-fetched nonsense" were being given by people seeking asylum in Ireland

"He said the patience of Irish people would be very much tested if they knew the stories being told by people looking for asylum. He said he would like to interview asylum seekers at the airport. "I would like to interview these people at the airport, but the UN insists that I go through due procedure. As soon as we go through due process and the gardai arrive, they lift the phone and call a lawyer, who gets them a judicial review to get them taken off the plane," the minister said. He criticised the large amount of "manifestly bogus" political correctness in Ireland. "There's a lot of political correctness that goes on here and it is manifestly bogus, far-fetched nonsense and it's about time we said it"

And he should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

Why are numbers of asylum seekers increasing?

The war in Syria is largely over. We need to start the deportation of Syrians.

If their house was destroyed in the war we’d be better off paying them a sum to rebuild. It would be cheaper than the ridiculous rents in Ireland.

Presumably they will be thankful for the protection they have received.

You are welcome.

Now all the Nigerians/Pakistanis/Georgians/Albanians/Bangladeshis if I had my way would NOT leave the airport.

They would be sent back where they came from at the airline expense.

As a matter of fact I’d fine that airline for every illegal on board

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

creeper1 wrote: »
    Why are numbers of asylum seekers increasing?

The war in Syria is largely over. We need to start the deportation of Syrians.

If their house was destroyed in the war we’d be better off paying them a sum to rebuild. It would be cheaper than the ridiculous rents in Ireland.

Presumably they will be thankful for the protection they have received.

You are welcome.

Now all the Nigerians/Pakistanis/Georgians/Albanians/Bangladeshis if I had my way would NOT leave the airport.

They would be sent back where they came from at the airline expense.

As a matter of fact I’d fine that airline for every illegal on board

Unfortunately as has been pointed out numerous times here, there does not have to he a war in their country to claim asylum. All you have to is land here and pretend to be gay mention something about persecution blah blah blah... most of them are f*cked out thankfully. 95% of them are chancers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement