Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,146 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why are we providing spaces like this for asylum seekers? Should we not get all our homeless off the street first and put them up in these types of places. Hopefully we could work with them and get them back in the workforce.
    After that we could look at asylum seekers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why are we providing spaces like this for asylum seekers? Should we not get all our homeless off the street first and put them up in these types of places. Hopefully we could work with them and get them back in the workforce.
    After that we could look at asylum seekers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

PostWoke wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The canard of ‘look after our own first’? Just more divide and conquer guff from those opposed to meeting our responsibilities on asylum. The cost of asylum provision to the state is about twice what it spends on horse and greyhound racing subsidies annually. How come we don’t see the supposed advocates for the Irish homeless out with placards at greyhound meets? Rather convenient that asylum is the issue that brings out this touching concern.

alastair wrote:
    our responsibilities on asylum.
    Just on this. Did I vote on this? Did I vote for some asylum thing that I'm unaware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

alastair wrote: »
    The canard of ‘look after our own first’? Just more divide and conquer guff from those opposed to meeting our responsibilities on asylum. The cost of asylum provision to the state is about twice what it spends on horse and greyhound racing subsidies annually.

Greyhound racing gets about 16 million from the government.

Here we go again.

Housing asylum seekers 250 million pa and rising and that before medical , welfare , education and free legal aid for multiple solicitors , barristers , human rights legal advisors .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The canard of ‘look after our own first’? Just more divide and conquer guff from those opposed to meeting our responsibilities on asylum. The cost of asylum provision to the state is about twice what it spends on horse and greyhound racing subsidies annually. How come we don’t see the supposed advocates for the Irish homeless out with placards at greyhound meets? Rather convenient that asylum is the issue that brings out this touching concern.

Do you want to import African greyhounds.

alastair wrote:
    Rather convenient that asylum is the issue that brings out this touching concern.
    Haha, you really do love on a different planet to the rest of is if you can't figure that out.
    Rooms for people to live in and homeless people. Can you see it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So millions in overseas aid per year
    Hundreds of millions housing economic migrants per year.

And one or two posters on here still want more

• Registered Users Posts: 39,980 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You'd be in favor of rounding up 200 homeless people from around the country and putting them up in a hotel in Oughterard?

Just on this. Did I vote on this? Did I vote for some asylum thing that I'm unaware of?

Did you vote on any other laws that we’re obligated to uphold? 🙄

• Advertisement

vriesmays wrote: »
    Do you want to import African greyhounds.

do you generally miss the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What responsibilities?

We spend more then any other country on foreign aid. We have not gone to war in these countries, and people who come here get a great chance in life. I’m sorry but that’s just total BS

Haha, you really do love on a different planet to the rest of is if you can't figure that out.
    Rooms for people to live in and homeless people. Can you see it now?

The vast majority of homeless people are currently living in rooms. It’s not a solution to the problem, and nor is pretending we don’t have an obligation to asylum seekers.

alastair wrote:
    Did you vote on any other laws that we’re obligated to uphold? 🙄
    What law?

do you generally miss the point?

No, but I don't agree with abolishing our greyhound industry and importing 1000s of 3rd world chancers.

What responsibilities?

We spend more then any other country on foreign aid. We have not gone to war in these countries, and people who come here get a great chance in life. I’m sorry but that’s just total BS

Foreign aid is nothing to do with asylum (nor a history of going to war with anyone for that matter). We have responsibilities under international law to protect asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,980 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We spend more then any other country on foreign aid.

Really, amazing. Have you a link for that?

Boggles wrote:
    Really, amazing. Have you a link for that?

Have you a link to disprove his comment!

No, but I don't agree with abolishing our greyhound industry and importing 1000s of 3rd world chancers.

The greyhound industry, as the name suggests, is a for-profit commercial enterprise. There’s no requirement for government supports for it, and if someone is looking for a hierarchy of debatable state expenditure, it’s well below meeting our legal obligation to provide protection for the persecuted, if they seek our help.

What law?

Any law?

• Advertisement

alastair wrote:
    Any law?
    You said there is a law that says we have to provide places for asylum seekers. Can you link me to where I can read it please?

Have you a link to disprove his comment!

https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-spending-foreign-aid/

The greyhound industry, as the name suggests, is a for-profit commercial enterprise. There’s no requirement for government supports for it, and if someone is looking for a hierarchy of debatable state expenditure, it’s well below meeting our legal obligation to provide protection for the persecuted, if they seek our help.

You think importing 100s of 3rd world migrant chancers and housing them in an empty hotel in a tiny Sligo town is not for profit.

You said there is a law that says we have to provide places for asylum seekers. Can you link me to where I can read it please?

Here you go. https://www.unhcr.org/en-us/protection/basic/3b66c2aa10/convention-protocol-relating-status-refugees.html

You think importing 100s of 3rd world migrant chancers and housing them in an empty hotel in a tiny Sligo town is not for profit.

I know it’s not.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The locals in Lisdoonvarna said much the same - and they were clearly wrong. It’s been grand. And you don’t get to pick your favourite nationality of asylum seeker. Get over yourself.

What about the locals in Ballsbridge who successfully opposed a DPC. They also racist??

Two DPCs in Dublin, that says it all. When ye have 10 or more, come back to us.

alastair wrote:
    Here you go.
    Yeah that's not Irish law.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Save having to read through all those facts.

alastair wrote:
    I know it’s not.
    So the company providing the accommodation is doing it for no profit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Former Justice Minister Michael McDowell told us over 15 years ago that "cock-and-bull" / "far-fetched nonsense" were being given by people seeking asylum in Ireland

"He said the patience of Irish people would be very much tested if they knew the stories being told by people looking for asylum. He said he would like to interview asylum seekers at the airport. "I would like to interview these people at the airport, but the UN insists that I go through due procedure. As soon as we go through due process and the gardai arrive, they lift the phone and call a lawyer, who gets them a judicial review to get them taken off the plane," the minister said. He criticised the large amount of "manifestly bogus" political correctness in Ireland. "There's a lot of political correctness that goes on here and it is manifestly bogus, far-fetched nonsense and it's about time we said it"

And he should know.

Just on that note, you know how sometimes you see a documentary on something that highlights something scandalous (think the recent greyhound one).
    Well if there was a documentary done on the immigrant asylum applicants from the point of view of the stories they tell, the waste that goes on, the expenses associated, then I think it would be water cooler stuff for a period after. It would leave no people in any doubt to the state of the carry on.
    I personally know people working in one of the direct provision centres and the stories that come out of there are shocking. Not for the neglect or anything, but the sheer brazennes of the residents and the waste that the state pours on while no one is aware.

There is a message allowed our to Joe public through the state channel rte but if an independent documentary was done scrutinising what goes on, people would be shocked and it wouldn't be long correcting attitudes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement