Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The lolz. people looking looking for links.

If its one thing this thread is bereft of its evidence to support outlandish and, to be quite honest, wholly unbelievable claims.

The art of honest discourse died in this thread.

No wonder we cant have nice things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Faugheen wrote: »
    Still waiting for you to back up your earlier lies about spending there pal.

Until you do, you have absolutely no credibility.

You should read back the last ten pages and ask everyone who didnt provide a source for a statement made regarding asylum seekers to provide one, instead of just picking on one poster that you seem to have some issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Crows you might not see one but they are in other parts of the country like failed asylum seekers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,137 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is bull. I'm on here years and you get the same types demanding links when they are obviously on the internet and can search for themselves.
    If you are too busy to go search something then maybe you are too busy to be on here looking for links from somebody else.

Calm down lad, he has all ready admitted he made it up.

It's not possible look it up.

Anyway the exact figure was provided with a link from another user.

Length of time you are on here is pretty moot, you make a specific claim, you back it up.

Above everything else it gives your opinion credence and is just good manners.

Also this, 5 hours ago.
    You said there is a law that says we have to provide places for asylum seekers. Can you link me to where I can read it please?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Patthecat84

To deny that emigration has been an issue in oughterard is wrong fullstop

• Advertisement

WB Yokes wrote: »
    You should read back the last ten pages and ask everyone who didnt provide a source for a statement made regarding asylum seekers to provide one, instead of just picking on one poster that you seem to have some issue with.

Link requests when it suits the narrative.
    Tumbleweeds otherwise.

(This thread would be very quiet if "someone" could provide any evidence to support their rediculous claim all those with deportation orders against them have left the state, contrary to the Ministers claim "a significant" number have left.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I won’t see Asylum Seekers on the streets - Charlie Flanagan. I know he means well but considering our homeless crisis the timing of that comment is bloomin awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Tumbleweeds otherwise.

(This thread would be very quiet if "someone" could provide any evidence to support their rediculous claim all those with deportation orders against them have left the state, contrary to the Ministers claim "a significant" number have left.)

It's the first time ever I seen someone In a discussion on a message board flat out refuse over and over again to give any links whatsoever to back up what they were saying. Safe to say any with a pair of eyes and a working brain can see this poster was clearly bull****ting.

Vested interests there I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

If its one thing this thread is bereft of its evidence to support outlandish and, to be quite honest, wholly unbelievable claims.

The art of honest discourse died in this thread.

No wonder we cant have nice things.

Handily, I’ve provided the actual figures - which prove the claim to be false. Because having evidence to support your ‘theory’ is better than rinse and repeat whinging on the back of zero evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wibbling wonder

On what basis? Generations have been emigrating from Ireland over the years and probably more so from the West than East coast (no I have not looked for a link) but Oughterard is doing fine now and showing great signs of recovery since the recession but only starting to get back on our feet. Our underage sports teams have loads of kids playing various sports and we are a large catchment for the area.

At risk of repeating myself, we have gone on the record saying that we are prepared to do our bit in welcoming asylum seekers. What that magic number is I don't know but the system and process in it's current form isn't fair or right for anyone save for the developers who have made this their business.

• Advertisement

Tumbleweeds otherwise.

Once again - their absence is ample evidence for their having left the country. Can’t be responsible for your comprehension skills, nor your inability to highlight any of these ghostly figures.

alastair wrote: »
    Handily, I’ve provided the actual

No you provided nothing to back up your lies .

Now here you are with a another member of the story makers guild of board.ie

Trying to demand something when you spent several days giving denial after denial despite getting pulled by numerous posters.

WB Yokes wrote: »
    It's the first time ever I seen someone In a discussion on a message board flat out refuse over and over again to give any links whatsoever to back up what they were saying. Safe to say any with a pair of eyes and a working brain can see this poster was clearly bull****ting.

Vested interests there I believe.

Your beliefs are about as reliable as your ability to acknowledge evidence when it’s presented.

One more time for the slow learners:

Still waiting on evidence that 7197 failed asylum seekers have been deported or left the country as "claimed by you"

9,197 have left, on foot of deportation orders. .

3 days later .

Do we have any proof yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Gatling wrote: »
    Why would it be a narrow minded response.

We all should have a choice,we should be given a say on how many asylum seekers we take in and where to keep them till a decision is made if they are genuine fleeing persecution or looking for free lifetime of benefits
    In this case youd like zero in this town

Handily, I’ve provided the actual figures - which prove the claim to be false. Because having evidence to support your ‘theory’ is better than rinse and repeat whinging on the back of zero evidence.
    Once again - their absence is ample evidence for their having left the country. Can’t be responsible for your comprehension skills, nor your inability to highlight any of these ghostly figures.

Two things very obvious here.

1. You're unable to state what my "claim" is/was despite several challenges to do so.

2. You've contradicted yourself in two breaths. Not only have you not* provided the figures, you're pulled down your pants and exposed yourself as a spoofer, for here, you say "the figures" you claim to have provided, are actually just "their absense".

It must be heartbreaking for anyone with a modicum of sympathy to your cause, (god knows, I've a positive disposition to genuine assylum seekers) watch you struggle. I'm no intellectual giant, but Jesus wept, this is like arguing with my 5 yr old. Complete with dinosaurs. Its why people like me (centrist) dont trust people like you. Its why the left-right dichotomy is becoming very polarised.

In fact, I'd wager truppence you've skin in the game. A vested interest if you like.

*anyone else would simply take my wind, and provide the figures. Nope, not you though, because you cant, you'll just spoof and insult people with low calibre armements and weak shot munitions.

"The rules of the forum are simple but absolute.
    We have one guiding principle: Don't be a dick.

Do not post any material that you know or should know is hateful, abusive, harassing, false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, vulgar, obscene, profane, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or illegal."

Your soapboxing is wearisome.

In this case youd like zero in this town

It's the people of Oughterard to decide if they want a dp in their town is it not .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MOC1972

You obviously have an agenda.

Would you not come straight out with your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

I think they should go ahead with the direct provision centre in oughterard and bring in a good volume of people. It's a sleepy area and it will bring a bit of life to the community. It can set itself as an example (for the future) of a community with direct provision at its heart. It can become the leading area for direct provision

Firstly pat thanks a mill for signing up to boards today. And secondly yes the people if oughterard should be grateful to have a direct provision at its heart.
    Balbriggan has apparently benefitted hugely from having mosney down the road n the former residents moving there. I just cant think of one benefit off hand!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Oughterard has been crying out for new people to come into the town for ages. Ship them into direct provision there by the dozen and solve 2 problems at once. Simples

Like saying Siberia was crying out for people while Stalin was in power.

No consultation with migrants.
    And no consulation with locals.

Stalin would be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,137 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

At risk of repeating myself, we have gone on the record saying that we are prepared to do our bit in welcoming asylum seekers.

How? Other than an abandoned hotel, is there many other vacant properties there to accommodate asylum seekers? I can't imagine there is.

That sounds very much like, "Yeah we would like to help but sure we can't, sorry"

Which isn't really an offer of help at all in real terms, is it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Boggles wrote: »
    How? Other than an abandoned hotel, is there many other vacant properties there to accommodate asylum seekers? I can't imagine there is.

That sounds very much like, "Yeah we would like to help but sure we can't, sorry"

Which isn't really an offer of help at all in real terms, is it?

When liberal areas like Dalkey, Foxrock, Killiney, Dun Laoighre etc each have a direct provision centre we will take someone like you seriously. Until then you and your ilk have no credibility.

The number 1 reason well to do liberal lefties are trying to force DPCs down the country is because they don't want one in their own area.

2 centres in the whole of Dublin, 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MOC1972

enricoh wrote: »
    Firstly pat thanks a mill for signing up to boards today. And secondly yes the people if oughterard should be grateful to have a direct provision at its heart.
    Balbriggan has apparently benefitted hugely from having mosney down the road n the former residents moving there. I just cant think of one benefit off hand!

Not much there about emigration and benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

The Cost of housing asylum seekers is 250 + million per year for 5000 asylum seekers in DP not including welfare
    You need to source both those figures of your claim to have a valid debate here.
    I'm doing what several others have openly done la la la la

This is the problem with this thread. Make-believe "facts" are being thrown around by both sides, not in attempt to have a debate, but for some sort of narcissistic one-upmanship. It was this post-truth nonsense that ****ed the UK with Brexit and the US with Trump.

Why debate at all.

This is the problem with this thread. Make-believe "facts" are being thrown around by both sides, not in attempt to have a debate, but for some sort of narcissistic one-upmanship. It was this post-truth nonsense that ****ed the UK with Brexit and the US with Trump.

Why debate at all.

Selective quoting there buddy, but i agree with the sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

This is bull. I'm on here years and you get the same types demanding links when they are obviously on the internet and can search for themselves.
    If you are too busy to go search something then maybe you are too busy to be on here looking for links from somebody else.

Nope. You make a claim then you back it up with facts. Those on the anti-immigration side seem to have the unique ability not to comprehend nor accomplish this.

Hence their bluster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You can't vet these people.......

And that is very dangerous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement