Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

alastair wrote: »
    Given that’s what it says, I’m happy to take that from it.

First paragraph.

News that thousands of failed asylum seekers who seemingly disappeared without trace begs one question: where have they gone? The uncomfortable truth is that the Irish authorities simply do not know.

That is what it says alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Woodsie1, either start paying attention to the figures others have provided, or dont post in this thread again.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just on this. Did I vote on this? Did I vote for some asylum thing that I'm unaware of?

No. Do you vote on every single policy or international treaty?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

First paragraph.

News that thousands of failed asylum seekers who seemingly disappeared without trace begs one question: where have they gone? The uncomfortable truth is that the Irish authorities simply do not know.

That is what it says alright.

But they have gone. Which is the point.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111381710&postcount=2645

So they could be in the U.K or they could be on the Aran Islands? If nobody is tracking them then surely one scenario is as likely as the other?

• Advertisement

So they could be in the U.K or they could be on the Aran Islands? If nobody is tracking them then surely one scenario is as likely as the other?

It made clear they were not in Ireland any more, so the Aran Islands? Not so much.

It made clear they were not in Ireland any more, so the Aran Islands? Not so much.

Can you quote from the article where it was made clear they are not in Ireland anymore? Simply says they've no idea where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gatling wrote: »
    oughterard isn't boards now is it .

Its clear as day Oughterard was descended on by outsiders in relation to this.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Can you quote from the article where it was made clear they are not in Ireland anymore? Simply says they've no idea where they are.

Sure:
    If their asylum claim fails in their country of choice, it is hardly surprising they would depart for another jurisdiction before being forcibly removed by the Garda.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

One was caught on a bus re-entering the state, or possibly was moving back and forth. The border between Ireland and the UK is porous/non existent at the moment. Asylum seekers can move back and forth easily enough.

So they may have left, they may not have. The may have left and come back. As the authorities admit, they simply do not know.

• Advertisement

One was caught on a bus re-entering the state, or possibly was moving back and forth. The border between Ireland and the UK is porous/non existent at the moment. Asylum seekers can move back and forth easily enough.

So they may have left, they may not have. The may have left and come back. As the authorities admit, they simply do not know.

No evidence of anyone not having left though, so nothing to support the theory of notional remaining deported asylum seekers.

Still waiting for those links on the supposed Ballsbridge DPC protests.

Sure:

"Hardly surprising" An educated man/woman would nearly contend that statement is a guess. Is there a reason why you don't think its plausible for an asylum seeker to land here walk into the front door of DPC and walk out the back door of DPC as they so choose? Its not unknown for asylum seeker to be in the system to then go missing only to turn up again further down the line.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Happyilylost viewpost.gif
    Sure:
    Quote:
    If their asylum claim fails in their country of choice, it is hardly surprising they would depart for another jurisdiction before being forcibly removed by the Garda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Its clear as day Oughterard was descended on by outsiders in relation to this.

I agree it went from not wanting refugees at all to being against direct provision only. Clearly outside interference. The pakistani pbf man was over there handing out placards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wibbling wonder

WB Yokes wrote: »
    I agree it went from not wanting refugees at all to being against direct provision only. Clearly outside interference. The pakistani pbf man was over there handing out placards.

No he wasn't, I saw him at the initial meeting in the community centre following which he accused us of being racists. When he started to understand our actual reasoning he then flip flopped and started supporting us. Those placards were not made, funded or handed out by him or GARN. I didn't see it on Saturday but heard from a friend that two people tried to join the march displaying signs that weren't aligned to our messaging so were asked to take them down and not participate.

heard from a friend that two people tried to join the march displaying signs that weren't aligned to our messaging so were asked to take them down and not participate.

Understandable. ‘No to Racism’ is not really on-message, is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Yet another fire set by asylum seekers on a Greek island. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpvAo8Rgzc
    This is completely unsustainable. Europe is just not in the shape for it, especially Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

No evidence of anyone not having left though, so nothing to support the theory of notional remaining deported asylum seekers.

https://www.mrci.ie/our-work/justice-for-undocumented/
    MRCI estimates that there are between 20,000 and 26,000 undocumented migrants - including children and families - living and working in Ireland. The majority have been here many years.
    20-26k probably being on the very understated side too because that suits MRCI's argument

No he wasn't, I saw him at the initial meeting in the community centre following which he accused us of being racists. When he started to understand our actual reasoning he then flip flopped and started supporting us. Those placards were not made, funded or handed out by him or GARN. I didn't see it on Saturday but heard from a friend that two people tried to join the march displaying signs that weren't aligned to our messaging so were asked to take them down and not participate.

Can you tell us what exactly is the message from the people of Oughterard as it seems to be forever changing?

PostWoke wrote: »
    Yet another fire set by asylum seekers on a Greek island. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpvAo8Rgzc
    This is completely unsustainable. Europe is just not in the shape for it, especially Greece.

Only upside to this is nice cheap holidays to the Greek islands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Can you tell us what exactly is the message from the people of Oughterard as it seems to be forever changing?

"No thank you."

• Advertisement

jay0109 wrote: »
    https://www.mrci.ie/our-work/justice-for-undocumented/

20-26k probably being on the very understated side too because that suits MRCI's argument

Migrants aren’t asylum seekers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

He was in the country. What more evidence do you want. He was arrested, imprisoned for 26 days and won a pay out for his troubles.

Did I say Ballsbridge DPC protests? I said a legal challenge. Not me, a journalist referenced it. Take it up with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Appeals you asked about...

He was in the country. What more evidence do you want. He was arrested, imprisoned for 26 days and won a pay out for his troubles.

Did I say Ballsbridge DPC protests? I said a legal challenge. Not me, a journalist referenced it. Take it up with her.

He had left the country. That’s the clear evidence.

Link to the supposed Ballsbridge legal challenge then. Who’s this journalist?

Appeals you asked about...

EU initiated appeals I asked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wibbling wonder

We are protesting against the Direct Provision system and process that gives no one a voice. I don't think that our message has been changing but acknowledge that during the initial phases of the protest we were naive and there were people jumping on the bandwagon making all sorts of outlandish claims. We've looked to distance ourselves from either the left or right wing activists.

To your point Alastair, I don't think the signs were simply "no to racism" but stand to be corrected as I didn't see them but we didn't want to be associated with the GARN protest.

EU initiated appeals I asked about.

No, you asked what "appeals..."
    You're the only one trying to frame them in a European context.

& Bear in mind our legal system anyway is within a European legal framework.Fail in the Irish HC. theres always ECHR...

To your point Alastair, I don't think the signs were simply "no to racism" but stand to be corrected as I didn't see them but we didn't want to be associated with the GARN protest.

That’s literally the exact and only words on one of the two placards.

The other said ‘Refugees welcome. give racism the red card”

Sure:

Thats not evidence they've left.
    Thats one possible outcome on failing in ones application

• Advertisement

No, you asked what "appeals..."
    You're the only one trying to frame them in a European context.

Nope, the context is clear as day in the post I handily provided to you. Look again.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111382357&postcount=2684

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement