Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

alastair wrote: »
    Thanks for your definition. I think most people would agree Galway city is near Oughterard.

Its 15 miles away. 15. He isn't even in the same neighbourhood. He will never be directly affected.

Nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Thats not evidence they're gone. Of any number.
    That is just a likely scenario, highly probable even, of what unsuccessful applicants do.

But again. Its not evidence of what number are actually gone.

After several pages of this repetition, you/alastair havent taken a step forward with a scintilla of proof.

Discussed ad nauseum. Still awaiting info on the failed asylum seekers you've said are working illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Look again:

More than likely, as the Garda would tell us, they would have left the country and probably would have gone back to the United Kingdom, ” Mr Waters said.

That sounds like something I would bet my house on alright.............

Someone guessing is not gone. Also the word gone wasn't used. You could change the sentence to "it is hardly surprising they would go underground before being forcibly removed by the Gardaí" and it would have the same amount of fact. Asylum seekers fall off the grid all the time. Some reappear again. Others stay hidden. And yes. Some leave. At least I would be willing to admit it is possible that all failed asylum seekers leave Ireland the same way its just as possible many remain. Without the facts no one can make such an assertion either way.

Examples of failed asylum seekers remaining in Ireland and reappearing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Lads, everyone in this thread has their own POV, but you would do well to think about each others points and dont just reject them out of hand. The amount of strawmanning and assumptions ye are all making about each others posts is not condusive to good discussion. Come on now, let us all recover our composure and have a decent debate on this. Less of the back and forth on hypotetical stuff noone can prove either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

There you go with your liberal leftie nimbysm again. Tiresome at this stage. Asking others to be charitable but not doing a tap yourself.

You are asking 250 people to live in a modern gulag at 21 euro a week but you won't be seen for dust when it comes to helping them after they move in.

Once again - you are not asked to be charitable. Direct provision isn’t charity. And the €21 figure is out of date.

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Where did I say failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Lads, everyone in this thread has their own POV, but you would do well to think about each others points and dont just reject them out of hand. The amount of strawmanning and assumptions ye are all making about each others posts is not condusive to good discussion. Come on now, let us all recover our composure and have a decent debate on this. Less of the back and forth on hypotetical stuff noone can prove either way.

Hard to have any debate when you get a warning for asking a poster a question ,

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

US2 wrote: »
    Hard to have any debate when you get a warning for asking a poster a question ,

Mod

On thread isnt the place to discuss mod actions. Send me a PM if you want to discuss further. In the meantime, dont post in this thread again, thanks.

More than likely, as the Garda would tell us, they would have left the country and probably would have gone back to the United Kingdom, ” Mr Waters said.

That sounds like something I would bet my house on alright.............

So, gone was indeed mentioned. You’re welcome.
    No need to bet any house. As stated ad-nauseum, there’s zero evidence of any deported asylum seekers not leaving the country.

• Advertisement

Its 15 miles away. 15. He isn't even in the same neighbourhood. He will never be directly affected.

Nice try though.

Strange that you, yourself, consider Silicon Valley to have “nearby Cities”. Seems like there’s a special standard on nearness that you suddenly apply to Oughterard. 🤔

That's nowhere near it.
    I would define being near it as living in the same town or if a city within a mile.

Closer than Dun Laoghaire to Howth for example in terms of kilometres, one edge of the city to the other. And a hell of a lot quicket to get there than getting from one part of Dublin or Cork to another. Takes me 22 mins in a car so I'd consider that close. Close enough for me to drop into the bars, cafes or Aughnanure Castle every month.

The two Galway DPCs are 4km and 4.2km away from me. And as previously stated I'd happily have another much closer.

Havnt seen any "anti refugee" posts at all. Funny that yourself an Alistair can say and make up what ye like

Repeated post. I'll thus repeat my response:

Try looking again. Plenty of disparaging adjectives towards Africans in general, more specifically Nigerians, Brazilians, Albanians, Georgians and a few others who have the temerity to have a go at living in Ireland.

No need to bet any house. As stated ad-nauseum, there’s zero evidence of any deported asylum seekers not leaving the country.

Gone was not mentioned in the quote he put up. That is what I referred too. As stated ad-nauseum, there’s zero evidence that all failed asylum seekers have left the country. You're welcome.

Some illegals don't even bother with the asylum process.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/gardai-revenue-raid-100-illegal-businesses-1.1012285

Same category imo. Coming here under false or illegal pretences.

99% of Albanians claiming asylum are bogus. This 99% are always going to fail and shouldn't be here. We should not be accommodating them. It would be far cheaper to consider their applications by post from Albania or the nearest Irish embassy out there.

Gone was not mentioned in the quote he put up. That is what I referred too. As stated ad-nauseum, there’s zero evidence that all failed asylum seekers have left the country. You're welcome.

Other than their absence - no. As explained in the article, they leave the country without tracking their movements, or they have their deportation order enforced. And gone was mentioned as the appropriate term in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Discussed ad nauseum. Still awaiting info on the failed asylum seekers you've said are working illegally.

Where have i said that?

Some illegals don't even bother with the asylum process.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/gardai-revenue-raid-100-illegal-businesses-1.1012285

Same category imo. Coming here under false or illegal pretences.

99% of Albanians claiming asylum are bogus. This 99% are always going to fail and shouldn't be here. We should not be accommodating them. It would be far cheaper to consider their applications by post from Albania or the nearest Irish embassy out there.

Your opinion is mistaken. Migrants are not asylum seekers.

Nice try though.

20-22 mins drive. Try getting from most of Dublin to the city centre in that time. It's close, and as I say there are two DPCs much closer and I'd welcome another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Repeated post. I'll thus repeat my response:

Try looking again. Plenty of disparaging adjectives towards Africans in general, more specifically Nigerians, Brazilians, Albanians, Georgians and a few others who have the temerity to have a go at living in Ireland.

What are Brazilians , Albanians, Georgians and Nigerians seeking refuge from? They're not refugees are they?

• Advertisement

Closer than Dun Laoghaire to Howth for example in terms of kilometres, one edge of the city to the other. And a hell of a lot quicket to get there than getting from one part of Dublin or Cork to another. Takes me 22 mins in a car so I'd consider that close. Close enough for me to drop into the bars, cafes or Aughnanure Castle every month.

The two Galway DPCs are 4km and 4.2km away from me. And as previously stated I'd happily have another much closer.

You are not close. You are not in Oughterard. End of story as far as I'm concerned. You won't be directly affected. Your kids if you have any won't be forced to cope with much larger classrooms. You won't be forced to wait a day or two longer than normal to see the local GP.

You are not directly affected, nor is Alastair and Boggles. Its purely theoretical for you guys. It won't be an everyday reality. Get back to us when there is a DPC in your neighbourhood that you can walk to. Then we will listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Faugheen wrote: »
    Exactly. You just need to see the myths about Balbriggan spread by people who don’t live there.

Then the one Balbriggan resident comes into this thread and the same people tell that resident that they’re wrong and that outsiders know more about the area than residents

I live a few mile from balbriggan. parts of it are fine other areas i wouldn't consider for one minute to rear a family in.
    I'd feel sorry for the many people in those estates with 20 or 30 years left on their mortgage coz it aint shaping up great. I'd be on here singing how great it is too if i wanted out, might help sell the gaff!
    A few hundred people had a silent vigil last year outside the cop shop looking for protection from a black gang running riot.
    No doubt a few feeding from the asylum industry trough will tell you it was infiltrated by right wing heads stirring hatred!

Other than their absence - no. As explained in the article, they leave the country without tracking their movements, or they have their deportation order enforced. And gone was mentioned as the appropriate term in the article.

When the first part of the sentence is "more than likely" it kind of takes away from the relevance of the word "gone" as being in any way a factual statement.

"More than likely" you quote it yourself
    Its not even a mathematical probability.
    Its a likely course of action for failed applicants.
    But yet, neither a number or percentage of the number that have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

WB Yokes wrote: »
    lol pull the other one mate.

I'm not your Mate.

Nah. The sick racist abuse that people from the National Party subjected Joe Loughnane and others to this weekend in Galway is not welcome in Ireland.

Maybe you support those who suggest he is a Sewer though. Most Irish people definitely wouldnt.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Where did I say failed?

In your post at 15.31 today:

Someone guessing is not gone. Also the word gone wasn't used. You could change the sentence to "it is hardly surprising they would go underground before being forcibly removed by the Gardaí" and it would have the same amount of fact. Asylum seekers fall off the grid all the time. Some reappear again. Others stay hidden. And yes. Some leave. At least I would be willing to admit it is possible that all failed asylum seekers leave Ireland the same way its just as possible many remain. Without the facts no one can make such an assertion either way.

Your opinion is mistaken. Migrants are not asylum seekers.

And the majority of asylum seekers are not valid asylum seekers. They are economic migrants masquerading as asylum seekers.

Correct?

What are Brazilians , Albanians, Georgians and Nigerians seeking refuge from? They're not refugees are they?

Any asylum seeker is claiming persecution.

His points are unassailable. Upon discovering that it seems that the anti-refugee choir are trying to provoke a guy that knocks down their every point. It's a better look if you aim to refute his arguments instead.

His "points" have been assailed, put into a box, sealed, shrink wrapped, bow tied and shipped to a warehouse called "Refuted Repeatedly" for archiving in the section called "Should Never See the Light of Day Again"

• Advertisement

And the majority of asylum seekers are not valid asylum seekers. They are economic migrants.

That might be your belief, but you’ve no insights as to their claims, so it’s a guess. They certainly don’t achieve economic migrant status on the back of deportation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement