Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts of an unapologetic teacher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I see in news there record number of students getting higher results on appeal.

OP can't even do that right!

Sacrebleu!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭JizzBeans

Greentopia wrote: »
    I'm not jealous...and no I'm not a teacher myself :D There's too much of this attitude of "he/she/they have something better/more than me so therefore they must be reviled and punished for it" in this country.

What about the hours of work they do outside the classroom? marking papers, preparing classes for the next day. I shared a house many years ago with a teacher and she always had stacks of notebooks with her she had to mark in her own time in the evening.

If they were people who gave nothing of any value to society I'd say you might have a point, but they're educators! they have a big responsibility for how our country is shaped and how competitive we are as a nation. They should be well rewarded and I don't begrudge them a cent of their salary.

But the problem there is jobs being paid too little, not that teachers are paid too much. Taking money from teachers won't give it to paramedics.
    And I believe the reason teachers are paid a bit more is because there are higher entry requirements. You need a level 8 degree plus Masters now to teach.

You've gone off the deep end there! "contributes very little to society at large"?? are you serious?? teachers are one of the most important groups in society, being responsible for the education of our young people.

I don't know whether that comment comes from bitterness, begrudgery or anti-intellectualism, but whichever it is it's noxious.

I hope you have a long and wonderful life sir :)

FFVII wrote: »
    I see in news there record number of students getting higher results on appeal.

OP can't even do that right!

Sacrebleu!!!

I don't mark scripts, eats into my holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

JizzBeans wrote: »
    I hope you have a long and wonderful life sir :)

You asked for a solid objective reason for anti teacher sentiment and I gave it to you.
    You referred to people who take issue with you as being jealous, miserable or "not the brightest", yet you completely misquoted me and when I pulled you up on it you proceeded to reply to someone sympathetic to you (who incidentally also misquoted me whilst referencing notions of "anti intellectualism").

The reality is that you have a cushy number, and when compared to other public servants your situation looks even more favorable, and still you have the brass neck to belittle anyone who disagrees with your being comparatively overpaid.

You've also replied to two other posters since I replied to you, it seems you have to rebuttal to what I've said.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

nullzero wrote: »
    You asked for a solid objective reason for anti teacher sentiment and I gave it to you.
    You referred to people who take issue with you as being jealous, miserable or "not the brightest", yet you completely misquoted me and when I pulled you up on it you proceeded to reply to someone sympathetic to you (who incidentally also misquoted me whilst referencing notions of "anti intellectualism").

The reality is that you have a cushy number, and when compared to other public servants your situation looks even more favorable, and still you have the brass neck to belittle anyone who disagrees with your being comparatively overpaid.

You've also replied to two other posters since I replied to you, it seems you have to rebuttal to what I've said.

The OP has ignored me now....anyone that gets close to truth gets ignored

For me they are just a troll.....I doubt they even work 18 hours. Probably sitting on dole queue with the level of english shown already

Religion and Geography :P:P:P:P:P who could even call that a career.....caretaker has better career prospects!!!

You didn't give me a solid objective reason. You went on a rant about faults with the system and linked them to me in a passive aggressive fashion. Why is it so hard for people like you to understand;

1. I do not set teacher salaries
    2. I do not set national the syllabus
    3. I have no say in how national funds spent.
    4. I do all that is required of me.

You are ALLOWED to be jealous, but you are not RIGHT to be jealous.

And yes I have a cushy number, I said that in my first post....why is that a problem for you?

I never stated that you were uneducated at any point. Try reading my post again and you'll see that.

I stated that the contribution you make as a public servant when compared to that made by other public servants doing tougher jobs with much more demanding working environments is not as valuable to society and does not deserve the type of over the top remuneration you are receiving for your admittedly easy job.

I would assume a teacher would have achieved a high enough standard of education to be capable of basic written comprehension and would be capable of not jumping to conclusions based on their own misplaced sense of injustice.

You were passive aggressive and you know it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

The reality is that you have a cushy number, and when compared to other public servants your situation looks even more favorable, and still you have the brass neck to belittle anyone who disagrees with your being comparatively overpaid

The reality is that, even though you’re not a teacher, you’ve been belittling the entire teaching profession. Which is a perfect example of what the thread is about.

I’ll leave you to it.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The OP has ignored me now....anyone that gets close to truth gets ignored

For me they are just a troll.....I doubt they even work 18 hours. Probably sitting on dole queue with the level of english shown already

Religion and Geography :P:P:P:P:P who could even call that a career.....caretaker has better career prospects!!!

Lol, you sound exactly like the examples I gave in my first post :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Lol, you sound exactly like the examples I gave in my first post :D:D:D

Not really...but you tell yourself that if it keeps
    Yourself happy

Not really...but you tell yourself that if it keeps
    Yourself happy

Summers off keeps me happy:D

Summers off keeps me happy:D

That's original....

Pity you can't afford to go anywhere with that pittance of a wage :p:p:p:p

°°°°°

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    The reality is that, even though you’re not a teacher, you’ve been belittling the entire teaching profession. Which is a perfect example of what the thread is about.

I’ll leave you to it.

No I haven't been belittling the entire teaching profession.

You're bordering on libel now. Can you not read?

Glazers Out!

No I haven't been belittling the entire teaching profession.

You're bordering on libel now. Can you not read?

Libel?? Get a grip...

Yodas point stands, you have done nothing but swing your dick around since you got in here.

Just out of curiosity, do you practice what you preach?

°°°°°

You didn't give me a solid objective reason. You went on a rant about faults with the system and linked them to me in a passive aggressive fashion. Why is it so hard for people like you to understand;

1. I do not set teacher salaries
    2. I do not set national the syllabus
    3. I have no say in how national funds spent.
    4. I do all that is required of me.

You are ALLOWED to be jealous, but you are not RIGHT to be jealous.

And yes I have a cushy number, I said that in my first post....why is that a problem for you?

How was what I said passive aggressive?
    My tone was neutral.

I also never stated that I was jealous of anything, you are assigning that to me and its in no way accurate.

I gave an example of how your situation is unfair in the eyes of others, the system and how it works aren't really relevant.

Your problem is that you have no actual response to what was put to you so you instead invented nonsensical arguments.

The fact is that i really don't care how cushy your job is or what you get paid, I looked at what you said in the OP and gave an assessment based on the information you posted.

What does confuse me is what would possess somebody to create this type of thread in the first place. You clearly aren't interested in listening to people's opinions yet you actively sought them out by creating the thread.
    Is this some sort of grandstandibg exercise? Some puerile willy waving on your part "look how much money I earn". Nobody cares, but you put a challenge forward for a reasonable argument against your situation.

For the record I'm sure there are plenty of your colleagues who put in far much more effort than you seemingly do, I find it hard to believe that all secondary school teachers in Ireland are putting in 18 hour weeks. I'm sure your harder working colleagues deserve their pay and do a lot to earn it. I don't believe for a second that they are all odious little men/women with axes to grind and persecution complexes.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Libel?? Get a grip...

Yodas point stands, you have done nothing but swing your dick around since you got in here.

Just out of curiosity, do you practice what you preach?

When you misrepresent somebody in writen word it's known as libel. I'm not suggesting I would take legal against somebody on boards.ie

What is it that I'm preaching?
    And how should I practice it?

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Having read the predictable anti-teacher comments stemming from 99problems1 silly teacher post, "Advice:Become a teacher" one thing has become clear to me. Not one of you have a single objective argument to justify anti teacher sentiment. Its always the same sound bites from the usual vessels. Its just so lame.

Let me share.....
    I am a 36yo and I teach religion and geography. I am on point 9 on the pay scale, which is 47k a year. I am not married. Most terms, I work approx at least 18 hours a week, but some times more depending on how many exam classes I have. Most days I finish in the afternoon or else I have a large portion of the morning off. The only work I choose to do over the summer is invigilate exams to collect a nice lump sum. Other than that, the summer is mine to relish as I see fit. Most days I go to cafes for breakfast, morning gym sessions, day trips etc, etc. I am well off AND I FREAKING LOVE IT! I worked hard to get where I am and as the title suggests, I'm not the least bit sorry.

Now, of course this attracts all sorts of judgement. From friendly slagging by family and mates to heated discussions with friends of friends in social settings. But very occasionally, I will meet some barfly or tosser in the smoking room who apparently knows better. He/She will then proceed to explain why teachers are a "joke", like I was missing this information all along. Their rants are usually composed of one or more of the following;

1. "Your a teacher? Ah you have it handy so"
    2. "You lot are always looking for more money, sure your off for the summer ffs wasters"
    3. "You wouldn't last in the private sector let me tell ya, we have to work for a living"
    4. "Automatic wage increase is a joke,you don't deserve it"
    5. "Always f**king going on strike"
    6. "I cant believe my taxes are paying for this bullsh*t"
    7. "Sure ya cant fired, lazy b*stards"

Soooooooooooooo unoriginal.

Yes,
    I am off for the summer, its great. Of course I want more money. Why the F would I want to be in the private sector?? Its awful. Wage increases are the best. Striking is a day off. My tax pays for sh*t too.

I have often made the point that If you want those perks then become a teacher. If you fundamentally disagree with how teaching is conducted in Ireland then make a complaint to the dept. of education/local TD  or get elected and change the system. Otherwise I don't want to hear your dull commoner opinions. However my comebacks are usually always met with "yeah well teachers are a still joke" or some such muttering.

Unless someone can provide a solid, objective reason to justify anti-teacher sentiment, I can only assume the root cause of this agitation is (1.) Jealousy, (2.) Hate their own job and are miserable in it (3.) Not the brightest.

So, that is the perspective of an unapologetic teacher. For those of you who still have a problem with my profession I will leave you with two thoughts:

1. Not my fault you picked an unsatisfying career
    2. I just don't give a Fu*k

That's one way of exposure of a waste of tax payers money, being a total Narcissist and as paranoid as a psycho after a summer of smoking weed.

I've no problems with your profession, but there's a problem in your profession if the likes of you are thinking you're doing other teachers a favour.

Have you been evaluated ever ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Surely the money allocated to teachers on these over inflated wages should and could be redistributed elsewhere.

But we know it doesn't work like that in labour negotiations where unions fight for better pay and conditions for their own sector.
    I also stated that religious studies in isolation are not of any great importance to society at large whilst also stating that geography is a worthwhile subject, but don't allow that fact to cloud your moral indignation.

No indignation, just stating my opinion. Sorry, I did mean to address that point also about religious studies. And I actually totally agree. I think we could at least have a world religion studies class in place of indoctrination of our kids into one particular religious ethos. That would have some value at least. Ethics would be another class I think would be of great value here instead of religion.

But that's a separate discussion I think as that's down to the Dept. of Education to change. Teachers can't be blamed for teaching what's on the curriculum.

How was what I said passive aggressive?
    My tone was neutral.

I also never stated that I was jealous of anything, you are assigning that to me and its in no way accurate.

I gave an example of how your situation is unfair in the eyes of others, the system and how it works aren't really relevant.

Your problem is that you have no actual response to what was put to you so you instead invented nonsensical arguments.

The fact is that i really don't care how cushy your job is or what you get paid, I looked at what you said in the OP and gave an assessment based on the information you posted.

What does confuse me is what would possess somebody to create this type of thread in the first place. You clearly aren't interested in listening to people's opinions yet you actively sought them out by creating the thread.
    Is this some sort of grandstanding exercise? Some puerile willy waving on your part "look how much money I earn". Nobody cares, but you put a challenge forward for a reasonable argument against your situation.

For the record I'm sure there are plenty of your colleagues who put in far much more effort than you seemingly do, I find it hard to believe that all secondary school teachers in Ireland are putting in 18 hour weeks. I'm sure your harder working colleagues deserve their pay and do a lot to earn it. I don't believe for a second that they are all odious little men/women with axes to grind and persecution complexes.

Right, but I didn't ask for reasons why you/others would think my situation is unfair in comparison. I asked for a valid reason to justify anti-teacher sentiment. As in the grief teachers receive. I was quite clear in OP.

The reason why I put up the thread is laid out very clearly in OP. Im not explaining it to you again.

°°°°°

But we know it doesn't work like that in labour negotiations where unions fight for better pay and conditions for their own sector.

No indignation, just stating my opinion. Sorry, I did mean to address that point also about religious studies. And I actually totally agree. I think we could at least have a world religion studies class in place of indoctrination of our kids into one particular religious ethos. That would have some value at least. Ethics would be another class I think would be of great value here instead of religion.

But that's a separate discussion I think as that's down to the Dept. of Education to change. Teachers can't be blamed for teaching what's on the curriculum.

I honestly don't believe for a second that every secondary school teacher in Ireland is working 18 hours a week. Every point I made dealt directly with the OP. You and the OP both misrepresented me when replying to me and that isn't right.

My issue isn't with teachers as a group, but rather the OP in isolation, who richly deserves to be criticised.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    That's one way of exposure of a waste of tax payers money, being a total Narcissist and as paranoid as a psycho after a summer of smoking weed.

I've no problems with your profession, but there's a problem in your profession if the likes of you are thinking you're doing other teachers a favour.

Have you been evaluated ever ?

How do you know how good or bad I am at work?

I honestly don't believe for a second that every secondary school teacher in Ireland is working 18 hours a week. Every point I made dealt directly with the OP. You and the OP both misrepresented me when replying to me and that isn't right.

My issue isn't with teachers as a group, but rather the OP in isolation, who richly deserves to be criticised.

Criticised for what exactly?

°°°°°

Right, but I didn't ask for reasons why you/others would think my situation is unfair in comparison. I asked for a valid reason to justify anti-teacher sentiment. As in the grief teachers receive. I was quite clear in OP.

The reason why I put up the thread is laid out very clearly in OP. Im not explaining it to you again.

Well what I said serves as a valid argument for "anti teacher sentiment" if such a thing exists.

Do you tell everyone you meet what your profession is or can they just smell the chalk off of your fingers and viciously attack the teaching profession as a whole?

The cheek of you stating that you're not explaining things to me again when you can't be bothered to read what people are writing in response to you never mind being bothered to engage in civil conversation about the same instead taking offense at everything that is said and dismissing it out of hand as if you are some sort of koral arbiter.

I'll state again, I have no issue with teachers but you however seem to have some strange persecution complex where everyone is out to get you and your colleagues.
    You may have noticed, if you're not too busy getting offended that in Ireland people tend to be quite prone to making fun of each other,it's part of our culture, not some awful conspiracy against teachers.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I am on point 9 on the pay scale, which is 47k a year.
    I am well off AND I FREAKING LOVE IT!
    Otherwise I don't want to hear your dull commoner opinions.

Someone on €47k calling himself "well off" and looking down his nose at the "commoners"?

°°°°°

Criticised for what exactly?

Being an unpleasant character who is a poor representative of their profession with a persecution complex of epic proportions who at the same time manages to come across as an ego maniac whose raison d'etre seems to be to condescend to all the non teachers among us who are too thick to appreciate what a sterling effort you're actually making by doing the bare minimum in a job that you openly admit is cushy.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

People are right to be jealous of somebody who works 18 hours per week, has three months summer holidays and looks down on people who take issue with it.

My response was to let you know that you don't speak for all people when you made that statement and some of us do not begrudge the pay that teachers get.Then there were other points you made I gave my own opinion about also.

Will leave the two of you to it then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Someone on €47k calling himself "well off" and looking down his nose at the "commoners"?

For the ‘well off’ part I suppose it’s all relative.
    The calling others ‘commoners’ part of course is nonsense!

°°°°°

My response was to let you know that you don't speak for all people when you made that statement and some of us do not begrudge the pay that teachers get.Then there were other points you made I gave my own opinion about also.

Will leave the two of you to it then. :)

This is a quote from your first response to me; "I don't know whether that comment comes from bitterness, begrudgery or anti-intellectualism, but whichever it is it's noxious."

I never claimed to speak for anyone but myself, nor was I speaking about anyone other than the OP.

You didn't take the time to rationalise what I had written and completely misunderstood the context of what I wrote.

Glazers Out!

You left out the paragraph where I explained the commonor remark. Why are you cherry picking?

And whats wrong with calling myself well of?

Being an unpleasant character who is a poor representative of their profession with a persecution complex of epic proportions who at the same time manages to come across as an ego maniac whose raison d'etre seems to be to condescend to all the non teachers among us who are too thick to appreciate what a sterling effort you're actually making by doing the bare minimum in a job that you openly admit is cushy.

I respect your opinion.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

I respect your opinion.

Wonderful.

Could you let me know what I'm preaching and how I should be practicing it?

Glazers Out!

Its a long time since I heard someone on 47k say they are well off. I would guess the 47k is before tax, so with no overhead you are coming out with a max of 35k per year.

Take 1k away per month for rent, maybe you could even push a mortgage. Another 1k for food/bills.

So you are left with ~12k per year

So that is just over 800 per month for everything else. Car tax/insurance/fuel/service to name one thing....many more....

Hardly anything to be looking down on people......

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I plan on tracking down a few primary school teachers and wacking them over the head. They'll be delighted to know that at least one student absorbed their wisdom.

Its a long time since I heard someone on 47k say they are well off. I would guess the 47k is before tax, so with no overhead you are coming out with a max of 35k per year.

Take 1k away per month for rent, maybe you could even push a mortgage. Another 1k for food/bills.

So you are left with ~12k per year

So that is just over 800 per month for everything else. Car tax/insurance/fuel/service to name one thing....many more....

Hardly anything to be looking down on people......

Don't forget the lump sum for invigilation

And whats wrong with calling myself well of?

As the poster above outlined, it's a stretch to claim than an income of €47k makes one "well off."

Wonderful.

Could you let me know what I'm preaching and how I should be practicing it?

Will do

Yeah yeah

So now it’s not 47k per year?

°°°°°

Will do

Should I start holding my breath now?

Glazers Out!

Yeah yeah

So now it’s not 47k per year?

It is

• Advertisement

Should I start holding my breath now?

Do you give a fig at this point?

°°°°°

Do you give a fig at this point?

I'm enjoying the fact that I've reduced you to this level of childish nonsense.

I think your High horse has bolted.

Glazers Out!

Bolted a long time ago....as expected it’s a load of waffle from the OP....

And how much is this "lump sum" exactly?

And how much is this "lump sum" exactly?

The lump sum disappeared in next post....

The lump sum disappeared in next post....

I noticed that.

Regardless, I can't imagine he's being paid a fortune to stand in an exam hall.

• Advertisement

I noticed that.

Regardless, I can't imagine he's being paid a fortune to stand in an exam hall.

Most of that is gobbled up by retired teachers.....I doubt he gets a look in....also cuts a bit into this fantastic summer break....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Heavy Beast

As the poster above outlined, it's a stretch to claim than an income of €47k makes one "well off."

He appears to be brainwashed into thinking 47k is decent money. Poor sod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Insightful thread. Some posters up in arms, claiming teachers are overpaid for doing a useless job.

Other posters smugly suggesting that teachers are paid a pittance.

Which is it?

You’ve all proved the OP’s original post many times over.

Not quite, I stand by my OP. You are just another poster who proves my original point. I am reluctant to engage with you because you have nothing, you can't seem to separate problems with the system from employees and you have resorted to character attacks. Your spiel just isn't that good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Heavy Beast

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Insightful thread. Some posters up in arms, claiming teachers are overpaid for doing a useless job.

Other posters smugly suggesting that teachers are paid a pittance.

Which is it?

It’s best to have folk up in arms which gives teachers the impression they are well paid. Less likely to look for decent money. They’re generally fairly dim folk with little real world experience. I believe junior and senior infant teachers aren’t allowed do jury duty as their brains are too addled from dealing with young kids day in day out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement